Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

How many of you...........

21 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Strange, I remember having to write a thread to try and talk sense to people then.   What we need now is a reaction from the players, not a knee jerk reaction to kick out one of the best managers we have ever had.

You remember having to write a thread to talk sense to people!! You need to analyse yourself first and stop spouting crap. 

“I had to talk sense to you all before” 

It’s like the sermon on the mount without the good bits isn’t it ?

It would be quite funny if it wasn’t so sad.

“I’ll be posting my opinion on some NFL football later . I never go to those games either . “

Edited by Graham Paddons Beard

24 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Strange, I remember having to write a thread to try and talk sense to people then.   What we need now is a reaction from the players, not a knee jerk reaction to kick out one of the best managers we have ever had.

What do you mean one of the best managers we have ever had! He got promotion from the championship, just as many other city managers have done going back to Saunders, and some of those managers even managed to keep us in the premiership and took us to Wembley and Europe (and they were not all under the reign of Smith!)

Farke is not one of the best managers we have had, you do an injustice to many others who have been successful at our helm.

What I want to see is improvement each time we go up. I want to see entertaining football. 

What we are getting is neither of those. 

I don't care if we go down but I want us to look like we have some fight. 

I had Farke’s back until yesterday when it hit home what a negative brand of football we are playing. Imo he has to get 6 or more points from the next 3 games or it's game over for him. 

The model at that time seemed to be recruit from the German 3rd tier on the cheap and hope they will cut the mustard. I wasnt convinced this approach was any more than 'prudence with ambition'. So when we finished 14th, with Maddison carrying the team and many of the new players struggling to make an impact yes I had serious reservations. The recruitment philosophy continued and we paid £2.5m for Franke, who was bombed out almost straight away. So yes, some reservations definitely

I’m honestly ambivalent. I was then and am now.

Ive always drawn my energy from the players. When they play like they don’t care I support like I don’t care.

Its up to them, if they fancy it I’m game but it’s up to them.

Farke goes, stays, whatever. What I care about is the attitude when the whistle blows for kickoff.

beyond that I’m thinking big and long term future and it just doesn’t look great and it’s not even our fault for the most part. The prem is about to get super screwy so brace yourself is what I’d say.

Edited by The Real Buh

The difficulty is Farke has just signed a new 4 year contract. Sacking him is hard in those circumstances. To show such faith and then rescind it 2 months later and needing a large pay-off. Anyone any idea how much Farke is on?

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

The difficulty is Farke has just signed a new 4 year contract. Sacking him is hard in those circumstances. To show such faith and then rescind it 2 months later and needing a large pay-off. Anyone any idea how much Farke is on?

Which makes the decision to give him one that long more than a little foolish in hindsight.

Just now, The Real Buh said:

I’m honestly ambivalent. I was then and was now.

Ive always drawn my energy from the players. When they play like they don’t care I support like I don’t care.

Its up to them, if they fancy it I’m game but it’s up to them.

Farke goes, stays, whatever. What I care about is the attitude when the whistle blows for kickoff.

I can relate to some of that. The only slight anger I ever get is when I see players not doing what they are supposed to be doing, as in tracking back to help defend - as was happening yesterday.  That was just unprofessional and uncaring, whether they were doing it through fear, or lack of effort, or whatever. 

So if some players aren't up for it, even the new ones, get rid of them and bring forwards those that are. Farke has earned enough credit imo, to be given time to sort them out.  A lot of the problems he has had with the PL is through circumstances - injuries, covid, new players coming in not having time to bed in and the sheer monster fixtures at the start of this season.

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

I can relate to some of that. The only slight anger I ever get is when I see players not doing what they are supposed to be doing, as in tracking back to help defend - as was happening yesterday.  That was just unprofessional and uncaring, whether they were doing it through fear, or lack of effort, or whatever. 

So if some players aren't up for it, even the new ones, get rid of them and bring forwards those that are. Farke has earned enough credit imo, to be given time to sort them out.  A lot of the problems he has had with the PL is through circumstances - injuries, covid, new players coming in not having time to bed in and the sheer monster fixtures at the start of this season.

Get rid of players and replace them even though the transfer window is closed and we have little money to do it anyway. Still one of your better ideas though. 

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Get rid of players and replace them even though the transfer window is closed and we have little money to do it anyway. Still one of your better ideas though. 

I meant drop them in favour of fighters, time to completely get rid can happen later. I value Farke as a long term manager, even if some of you don't and would far rather he is given the task to regroup and rebuild where necessary, even if it means going down to the championship again.  

I think the main problem is we are so good at Champs. level that we think we can continue that attitude in the PL - comfortable, in control, playing within ourselves.

Just doesn't work at this level. Our players have to play with urgency & total commitment for the whole game to stand a chance, especially against the Chelseas, ManCs & Liverpools  etc. of this world.

Is it too late to change? Probably. Though there were signs of resoluteness against Burnley & Brighton - & for about 10 minutes after the 4th (or 5th) goal went in yesterday there were signs of injured pride & a willingness to battle (unfortunately recklessness in Gibson's case 😳).

The Leeds game is, er, rather crucial. In every possible way.

11 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Are we the only club that went through this? NO, are we the only team that’s had a tough start? NO

You really are a prize one aren’t you? Keep him for the long haul? He’s had 4 years and 2 abject failures in the top flight hasn’t he? And don’t bang on about circumstances, the whole country has gone through it! 

To think in the long haul he’s going to learn is truly bizarre when after 4 bl00dy years he hasn’t even learned how to defend properly at set pieces! 

Get off your high horse in telling people what they should do and wake up to the real world for once in your life!

I've always been adamant in my support and trust to Farke. Until now. I still think he is world class in building possession based flowing game and bringing up young talent. However, I also think he has always lacked in his defensive coaching and has had some difficulties in getting players fired up for the hardest fought battles. Now that he is clearly trying to turn to very defensive approach, it feels like he is so much out of his comfort zone and even bit lost. And I don't think he is right man to do that kind of transition. I truly hope I'm wrong though.

Was happy to give more time in the early part of season two, even despite the indifferent results. He still hadn’t had time to put his own team together or instil his playing style. I was happy he got a chance to put things right after the first PL relegation and earned every right to have another stab at the premiership, the only people holding back the club in my view were the owners. The doubts increased in the first 3-4 games and for me have swung to enough is enough in the last 4.

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

1 hour ago, TheBaldOne66 said:

Get off your high horse in telling people what they should do and wake up to the real world for once in your life!

Is this a battle of the high horses telling people what to do?

I’m torn.

1st prem season he gets a pass from me for the lack of recruitment and lockdown etc.

2nd prem season I’ve been a lot more generous than most. He’s had a lot against him still, late recruitment, awful fixtures, no time for players to gel, loosing emi & skipp. Wouldn’t have been easy for anyone.

Saying all that we have looked dreadful all season and a long way off competitive. I’m still waiting for it to all ‘click’ and we actually look like a decent outfit. The talent is there, just not the performances.

Preseason I said we have to give him at least 10 games. It’s all about fine margins and Brighton could have easily been a win and Leicester a point. All of a sudden the table looks a lot rosier. I’d give him another 5 games and see where we are. 

The fascination with the championship from a certain section of our supporters is so shortsighted. 

We play in that league to win promotion to a better league. We then do all we can to stay in said better league. 

All this 'keep him even if it means relegation' talk is ludicrous and stinks of a lack of ambition. 

Constructing this weird, nonsense loyalty to a particular man is toxic and goes against supporting the football club. 

3 hours ago, Van wink said:

He still has my support, there is a lot of credit in the bank as far as I am concerned and with our model stability is a key ingredient.

Having said that, there is only so much strain any model can withstand before some public display of action has to happen, and we all know how those things play out. 

Same here. Still p-i-s-sed at the manner of defeat yesterday, but pulling out a Championship win when relegated like we were after Project Restart (I think people forget how rare it is for teams to be relegated to get straight back up, let alone win the Championship in the manner we did) was a seriously impressive piece of management.

We know how these things play out with sides that operate a normal managerial system. We don't operate under that format so what happens next likely to be different from what many expect.

17 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

Didn't Farke say yesterday that Leeds at home was a season defining game?

Yes, he did - he knows the writing on the wall and will build up the players to respond - as they have to do if we are to do anything this season and pull things round. The season is right there, next Sunday.  All or nothing - the difficult starting games, the truncated pre-season and the late arrivals of Normann and Kabak are what has made this seem so awful up to now, but it is crunch time now! Should be a humdinger of a match!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yes, he did - he knows the writing on the wall and will build up the players to respond - as they have to do if we are to do anything this season and pull things round. The season is right there, next Sunday.  All or nothing - the difficult starting games, the truncated pre-season and the late arrivals of Normann and Kabak are what has made this seem so awful up to now, but it is crunch time now! Should be a humdinger of a match!

So we have one job on Sunday. Get behind Farke and the players to help make it happen. After that  I'm very much 'what will be will be'.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, nutty nigel said:

So we have one job on Sunday. Get behind Farke and the players to help make it happen. After that  I'm very much 'what will be will be'.

And if the team don’t turn up and we end up losing meekly, does the converse apply?  Is that the time that we must make it clear to the owners that these continual abject performances are unacceptable, or is booing still “tinpot”?

3 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Jesus ****ing Christ, get your head out of your own **** fella, who the **** do you think you are???? 🤦

He's just a troll

27 minutes ago, Naturalcynic said:

And if the team don’t turn up and we end up losing meekly, does the converse apply?  Is that the time that we must make it clear to the owners that these continual abject performances are unacceptable, or is booing still “tinpot”?

You can do what you like. 

However if Farke says it's a season defining game then what will be will be.

15 minutes ago, Haus said:

He's just a troll

Yeah I know that mate, but some days you just have to react, which I know is exactly what they feed on, but I'm the kind of person who tells it like it is in real life, so I find it difficult to bite my tongue on here at times 😂

In all honesty I have never wanted him out before now. He has clearly proven he is not capable at this level, excellent Championship manager but we need a premier league level manager, sad to say its time for him to go

Edited by Helsinki canary