Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Taking the knee on saturday

I hope every fan will support the players in taking the knee on saturday. If, for whatever reason, you find the act objectionable I hope you will at least remain respectfully silent and not bring shame to the club by booing. 

• Like 21
  • Thanks 2

In light of the Dalian Atkinson incident it has even more relevance to not only this country but to this sport. 

Edited by curious yellow
Y
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I hope every fan will support the players in taking the knee on saturday. If, for whatever reason, you find the act objectionable I hope you will at least remain respectfully silent and not bring shame to the club by booing. 

Agreed, will not be doing it myself though as I will never get up again........oh and good luck in the 4:40 at Salisbury today.........

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ll be clapping, as the Euro final showed this is still an issue. If it makes people talk about the problem then it’s only a good thing, rather than burying our heads in the sand 

• Like 2

Would love to see the whole crowd support them by standing and clapping. What a great message that would send out on live TV.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

Like Farke I won't be taking the knee, but I will applaud them.

PS will it clash with On The Ball City?

If everyone at Carrow road took the knee half wouldn’t be able to get up again. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

That's a very optimistic assessment MY.

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The list of things to take is getting longer. 

Take - Season ticket ✔️

Take - Lateral flow test / proof of vaccine ✔️

Take - mask ✔️

Take - contactless payment method ✔️

Take - the knee ✔️

Take - Home 3 points! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Would love to see the whole crowd support them by standing and clapping. What a great message that would send out on live TV.

I couldn't agree more 👏 

• Like 1

Or how about just ignore it, don’t boo. Gesture politics does not belong in sport

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Slw87 said:

Or how about just ignore it, don’t boo. Gesture politics does not belong in sport

Solidarity with one's fellow players is the very essence of a team sport.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Solidarity with one's fellow players is the very essence of a team sport.

Just another one of the no-brain "stick to sport, not politics" empty vessels repeating the far right message of trying to silence and oppress freedom of expression.

"Gesture politics" - bore off. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Slw87 said:

Sadly the shameful events of the summer proved that racism is rife amongst a small element of so called football supporters. It's now more important than ever to show them that their vile views will not be tolerated. Standing (or in this case kneeling) against racism belongs in sport for as long as racism can be found in sport.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Slw87 said:

Meaningful change is drawn out and hard won.

History shows that It is often the consequence of multiple chains of ‘gestures’ and small, yet symbolic steps.

’Flagstones on the road to Democracy’

Or decency if you will.

Parma 

Edited by Parma Ham's gone mouldy
  • Like 10

I can accept the argument essentially put forward by the likes of Les Ferdinand that it's a form of slacktivism, but at the same time, of all the things to get wound up in football and both teams taking the knee for a few seconds winds a few up... odd.

The question I'd ask is why would such a simple gesture, held for a very brief period of time before a match, cause such irritation? As I can't think of a sensible reason, that's for sure.

• Like 1

I will cheer them on, the racist abuse aimed at our EURO 2020 heroes & Lewis Hamilton show there's still a big problem. 

14 minutes ago, chicken said:

Just another one of the no-brain "stick to sport, not politics" empty vessels repeating the far right message of trying to silence and oppress freedom of expression.

"Gesture politics" - bore off. 

I agree with the likes of Wilfred Zaha. Why can’t we all back a respected campaign, Like Kick it Out. An apolitical campaign that ran for years, successfully focusing on anti discrimination. Like it or not, the knee taking stinks of the BLM movement. 

Throwing around the “no-brain” insults to anyone that happens to disagree only reflects badly on you.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Capt. Pants said:

Like Farke I won't be taking the knee, but I will applaud them.

PS will it clash with On The Ball City?

I went to Bramall Lane on Tuesday.  Taking the knee clashed with the "Chip Butty" anthem being sung, so the gesture was effectively ignored by everyone in the ground.  The club will need to choreograph it carefully if they want full impact.

26 minutes ago, Slw87 said:

I agree with the likes of Wilfred Zaha. Why can’t we all back a respected campaign, Like Kick it Out. An apolitical campaign that ran for years, successfully focusing on anti discrimination. Like it or not, the knee taking stinks of the BLM movement. 

Throwing around the “no-brain” insults to anyone that happens to disagree only reflects badly on you.

No it doesn't!!

Footballers have made it clear over and over again that they're doing it as an anti- racist gesture and that's all. 

Bless you for making an account and logging on to make this point though. How do you think the game will go on Saturday? (Norwich will be the team in yellow by the way). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Thirsty Lizard said:

No it doesn't!!

Footballers have made it clear over and over again that they're doing it as an anti- racist gesture and that's all. 

Bless you for making an account and logging on to make this point though. How do you think the game will go on Saturday? (Norwich will be the team in yellow by the way). 

I was attending as a season ticket holder when you were in small trousers I’m sure pal.

So what part of me saying that I will not join in but not boo do you find so reprehensible? Or the fact that I wholeheartedly support the Kick it out campaign? Yes far right stuff for sure.

What do you think taking the knee will achieve? Maybe stop Twitter accounts in Eastern Europe posting racist content? Stop the genocide of Uyghurs in Xinjiang? The oppression of LGBT minorities in the Middle East? Stop the rampant stabbing culture in inner city London? 

No it will make you all warm an fuzzy inside, maybe you will include a hashtag as well. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slw87 said:

I was attending as a season ticket holder when you were in small trousers I’m sure pal.

So what part of me saying that I will not join in but not boo do you find so reprehensible? Or the fact that I wholeheartedly support the Kick it out campaign? Yes far right stuff for sure.

What do you think taking the knee will achieve? Maybe stop Twitter accounts in Eastern Europe posting racist content? Stop the genocide of Uyghurs in Xinjiang? The oppression of LGBT minorities in the Middle East? Stop the rampant stabbing culture in inner city London? 

No it will make you all warm an fuzzy inside, maybe you will include a hashtag as well. 

Weird post. I didn't say I find anything 'reprehensible' did I? You've just made that up. Neither did I call you 'far right'. You've made that up as well.

As for what I think taking the knee will achieve. It will help to keep the issue of racism on the agenda. (As this thread proves in a small way). 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No it doesn't!!

Whilst of course you are correct, the problem with the 'BLM' argument is Sky still plasters it over the screen, its need the likes of Sky and BT to stop aligning the knee to BLM and putting the Kick it Out logo on screen instead. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

No it doesn't!!

The guy sounds like a Slough postcode* Do not trust this man!

To counter his argument, what will just ignoring this routine knee-based terrorist outrage actually achieve for their cause ?

If you disagree with it that swivel-eyed-intensively , please boo your heart out - publicly and proudly show your disrespect to our players !! Perhaps take  a satirical elbow! It’s a free country. Also, do all of the above from home, as you should seriously  be boycotting this anti-racist kneeling filth which you despise so badly .

(*yes, yes and i look like  an A-road, but at least I’m  local)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, shefcanary said:

I went to Bramall Lane on Tuesday.  Taking the knee clashed with the "Chip Butty" anthem being sung, so the gesture was effectively ignored by everyone in the ground.  The club will need to choreograph it carefully if they want full impact.

I do wonder if it will get lost in all the pre kick off  excitement, hence the comment.

Taking the knee this season should not be taking place, in my view, as I don't feel it's a movement that sport should be involved with. As I say, that's my own view though. Personally, I'll remain quiet with neither a boo or a round of applause. People shouldn't be made to feel ashamed for not "taking part" if that particular choice remains respectful of other's views.

• Like 2

It's all a load of b*ll*cks, to be honest, and will seemingly carry on forever now. Because when do you stop? Racism isn't going to go away - it just isn't, and I actually think this kneeling pre-match is making the situation worse, not better.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, alex_ncfc said:

It's all a load of b*ll*cks, to be honest, and will seemingly carry on forever now. Because when do you stop? Racism isn't going to go away - it just isn't, and I actually think this kneeling pre-match is making the situation worse, not better.

I can certainly agree with the idea that it might go on forever unless someone says it needs to be stopped. I mean, the issue will likely always be with us and accordingly, where do you draw the line as to when to stop? Its a tricky one to get right.