Sign in to follow this  
horsefly

Taking the knee on saturday

12 hours ago, GenerationA47 said:

Darn Rosa Parks, sitting where she liked on that bus, wilfully causing ugly scenes! And those young kids going to Mansfield High School, provoking mobs of adults to spit on them and scream abuse. What did they expect?! 

Someone should have just made an announcement in the segregated buses & schools mentioning that racism was terribly awful. 

But seriously… you don’t think that someone who loves to boo their own footballers before a game wouldn’t also boo the club’s tannoy message & for the same reasons?

Exactly!

18 hours ago, curious yellow said:

In light of the Dalian Atkinson incident it has even more relevant to not only this country but to this sport. 

Give this man a medal.

• Like 1

I did not make the false (as you see it) connection between taking the knee and BLM. My friend who as I said is a son of the windrush generation said to me "He looks at the taking of the knee as a BLM gesture even if it started way before, it's been taken over. All the pundits at the start said it was for BLM, then when some of the stories came out it was for the BLM movement (non political) now they have changed again to anti descrimination. You can see why people do associate it with BLM." This to me is the problem. The players had a badge with BLM on their shirts designed by that lump of a Watford forward. The pundits were saying it every time. This has now changed because they want to disassociate it but that will for some be the message that they were given. About 15 years ago I was in Hanoi Vietnam. I was walking through a beautiful graveyard and the headstones had swastikas on them. I was shocked but they were not **** graves but just an Asian good luck symbol. Many symbols and actions can have meanings and links that supercede them. If I see someone with a swastika tattoo should I just think he's after good luck? The problem is no matter what the players say now it has already been said it is for BLM so it's difficult to change that. Personally I don't mind them taking the knee, my point was not everyone who is against it is racist and for right or wrong it will be linked to BLM no matter the history. 

And why would certain people - want - to create a dubious link between BLM and "Marxism" along with a simple anti-racism gesture?

Short of trying to discredit without proper argument, I can't see a good reason.

Personally, I can't think of anything more "snowflake" than getting wound up about a knee being taken.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

I did not make the false (as you see it) connection between taking the knee and BLM. My friend who as I said is a son of the windrush generation said to me "He looks at the taking of the knee as a BLM gesture even if it started way before, it's been taken over. All the pundits at the start said it was for BLM, then when some of the stories came out it was for the BLM movement (non political) now they have changed again to anti descrimination. You can see why people do associate it with BLM." This to me is the problem. The players had a badge with BLM on their shirts designed by that lump of a Watford forward. The pundits were saying it every time. This has now changed because they want to disassociate it but that will for some be the message that they were given. About 15 years ago I was in Hanoi Vietnam. I was walking through a beautiful graveyard and the headstones had swastikas on them. I was shocked but they were not **** graves but just an Asian good luck symbol. Many symbols and actions can have meanings and links that supercede them. If I see someone with a swastika tattoo should I just think he's after good luck? The problem is no matter what the players say now it has already been said it is for BLM so it's difficult to change that. Personally I don't mind them taking the knee, my point was not everyone who is against it is racist and for right or wrong it will be linked to BLM no matter the history. 

The players have said its not BLM related. To keep linking it to that, in my opinion, is just an excuse to justify why someone is so anti the gesture. Its no for us to tell victims of racial abuse how they should protest against that abuse.

As someone that works and lives in London, I have a lot of non white colleagues & friends. To a man & woman they support the gesture & the vast majority believe those that boo or are vocal in their opposition, to be racist.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Canaries north said:

Oh good god.

By this sentiment no one can ever take the knee again because "BLM is bad". There have been countless articles from decent neutral sources that talk about this. The number one issue is that people who are against everything that has happened over the last few years, want to try and pin some minority soundbites and actions on an entire movement.

There needs to be a separation of the movement and some of those who like to claim to be in charge of it. There are two reasons for this. The main one being many people support the movement which is primarily about equality and highlighting the unfairness of the assumed criminality being far more commonplace on the African American and other minorities in the US AND in certain areas in the UK. Stop and searches being inexplicably higher in London for young black men than it is for any other race even though they represent a much smaller percentage of the population.

Then you have a much higher prison population percentage than there is in society in general, and questions need to be asked as to why.

We have seen more and more racist incidents. Hate crime in general, racist, xenophobic, LGBQT+ etc, has all increased a lot over the last 5-6 years in the UK. Much of it linked to the huge rise in far right radicalisation. Fascist groups are more fearless now. They are more regularly showing their faces. Tommy ten names Robinson even involved in a bonified political party.

But what you hear when it comes to BLM is - MARXISTS! COMMUNISTS! ANARCHISTS!

It's deliberate misinformation and an attempt by the far right, which is increasingly present in the US Republican Party, to besmirch and silence the movement. In reality, the organisation BLM, is not behind every protest. The vast majority of supporters do not support BLM but the message that BLM is trying to promote.

Well that got totally and utterly lost in the the loudest "On the ball City" I have ever heard, as did any boos if they occurred.

On 13/08/2021 at 08:37, TheGunnShow said:

Personally, I can't think of anything more "snowflake" than getting wound up about a knee being taken.

They are totally "snowflake" over nearly everything. They are constantly in a state of anger at nearly everything.

Footballers taking a knee for a few seconds is simply a protest against racism in football. Black players and their teammates have experienced racism in their careers and seen it in other matches. It's a simple but effective reminder that there's no place in the game for racism and I support it.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Well that got totally and utterly lost in the the loudest "On the ball City" I have ever heard, as did any boos if they occurred.

Got to be honest I didn't even notice they did it. 

Just now, Ken Hairy said:

Got to be honest I didn't even notice they did it. 

I don't think anyone did. 

It will be lost at most of our home games given our OTBC ritual.

6 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

My attention was drawn to the imminent risk of thousands of flags catching fire in the South Stand, well thats the way it looked from where I was standing.

Fully supportive of taking the knee and more than happy to support it, for me its no big deal

6 minutes ago, Van wink said:

My attention was drawn to the imminent risk of thousands of flags catching fire in the South Stand, well thats the way it looked from where I was standing.

Fully supportive of taking the knee and more than happy to support it, for me its no big deal

I know what you mean Winky - I said to my mate next to me - that I hoped they were flame retardent!