Hoolahoop14

Sheff Utd Friendly Cancelled

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

They've named the players haven't they? Hopefully we can count the number that way... 

They haven't named them, they told local press about Sorenson and Gunn who missed the Huddersfield game but not about the players who have since tested positive.

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

They've named the players haven't they? Hopefully we can count the number that way... 

No they haven't, only Gunn and Sorensen but there's definitely more than that

I mean, as long as we get those last two games in the impact won't be that severe. They're not going to be sat at Colney twiddling their thumbs. Plenty you can do to achieve match fitness that doesn't involve playing in a match.

Of course, that isn't to say it isn't important.

It would be foolish to suggest that match practice doesn't make a big difference. 

What is most important is that the likes of Gibson, Dimi and Hanley get 90 minutes at least across the two games.

We are going to have to use these difficult opening fixtures to get ourselves up to speed, to an extent. It's likely we will lose them anyway, but we beat Citeh with an injury ravaged side, so I don't see how this is that different.

• Like 2

Shame about these positive covid tests. It seems luck hasn't been on our side this summer, what with the BK8 fiasco etc. 

In hindsight, it probably wasn't a great idea organising a social in the pub. I know the govt have removed restrictions but they need to be so careful. They shouldn't take risks like that.

OT, what do I click to ignore people's posts?

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I think the season may well be a disaster with games piling up, due to one team going into isolation causing a postponement

12th Sept - 8th May -46 league games.  14th August -22 May - 38 league games.  City, as with Watford and Brentford,  have just gone thru a season long fixture congestion so i think will be prepared for a few periods of game pile ups. Rotherham had a crazy final couple of weeks if i recall, so it is what it is.

24 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

They haven't named them, they told local press about Sorenson and Gunn who missed the Huddersfield game but not about the players who have since tested positive.

I suspect that it wouldn't have taken many more for them to do this. At the end of the day, as people are pointing out already, we are now verging on a couple of weeks away from the PL kick off.

Isolation can be 10days and dependent on negative tests. So do we want to risk spreading it further?

I'm sure the club are already doing this but they really need to establish from whom and where they became infected. It seems as though they've dropped their guard a bit and maybe the players are being a bit too relaxed where they go? For example this team bonding day at Lotus and sharing previously used helmets (quiet at the back) was probably not a great idea.

It's not just the cancellation of the friendlies, but also the disruption it will cause to training etc. I really can't see Newcastle wanting to risk playing us either.

With numerous players being unavailable through injury and others arriving back late from holidays, this pre season seems a bit of a balls up tbh.

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

I suspect that it wouldn't have taken many more for them to do this. At the end of the day, as people are pointing out already, we are now verging on a couple of weeks away from the PL kick off.

Isolation can be 10days and dependent on negative tests. So do we want to risk spreading it further?

I Imagine it is largely driven by Coventry and Sheff U who are only 10 days away from the start of the Championship 

• Like 1

Like everyone else I think it sucks in many ways to be losing these games but I expect we can all agree the health of all the players and staff as well as those at host clubs is the most important thing here. And as Van Wink says we're likely in for a season of disruption. So the best we can hope for is we're getting our turn (or one of our turns) in early. We won't be alone if it means we're underprepared - the weirdness of this summer, including the managerial circus, pretty well guarantees that - and maybes, if it's going to happen, now is the optimum time to be hit, before an opening set of games which most of us would not be shocked to get little out of. A stack of injuries might have had the same impact on preparations and it might anyway turn out that more fitness work is just as important, or moreso, in the long term,  as match readiness this season.

It's ok, we're building up squad immunity early.

The rest of the league will likely have their turn mid-season.

It's Farke's usual attention to detail. 

On a serious note, isolating and the after effects of catching it (not necessarily long covid) are not ideal hindrances on the cusp of a new season.

We have to hope that the short/medium term health of any player is unaffected once they have got over it.

Edited by BroadstairsR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

Not sure where this short comment is coming from, as you have never met me. 

However you've never let facts get in the way of anything you have posted on here yet.  

your selective replies do make me laugh though. 

Maybe he is just suggesting you are a plane spotter...🤔

Just now, Drazen Muzinic said:

Maybe he is just suggesting you are a plane spotter...🤔

He has called me shorty before - not sure what thats based on. Possibly the above, who knows in his warped mind..

But he claims to know people who know me - which is factually incorrect, but hes vanished now without substantiating  the claim - which he cant. 

20 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

Shame about these positive covid tests. It seems luck hasn't been on our side this summer, what with the BK8 fiasco etc. 

In hindsight, it probably wasn't a great idea organising a social in the pub. I know the govt have removed restrictions but they need to be so careful. They shouldn't take risks like that.

OT, what do I click to ignore people's posts?

1. Go to your profile at the top right hand of the page and left click. 

2. Click on the Ignored Users. 

3. Type in the name of the user you want to ignore in the 'Add new user to ignore list box'-you will get a list of matching or part matching users.

4. Click on the user you want to ignore-you will get a choice of what content to ignore-Posts, Messages, Signature or Mentions.

5. Click on the 'Add user' button and start your increased enjoyment of the messageboard.

NB If you choose to ignore Posts you won't see the original post, but you will still see it if another user quotes it later one.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SwindonCanary said:

I wonder how many Premiership games will get cancelled for the same reason ?

I don’t actually think there will be many, if any at all. Last season there was a handful I’d say? (I did briefly search for a true accurate number but couldn’t find one). And bare in mind that was before the vaccine roll-out. 

I would only expect a league game to be postponed if a team quite simply doesn’t have enough players because they’ve either tested positive for Covid, or if they are having to self isolate. If it’s just a handful of players that have it or are isolating, I’ve got no doubt the league games will go ahead.

Edited by Hoolahoop14

1 hour ago, Greavsy said:

He has called me shorty before - not sure what thats based on. Possibly the above, who knows in his warped mind..

But he claims to know people who know me - which is factually incorrect, but hes vanished now without substantiating  the claim - which he cant. 

No that is just you making up stuff, again

What I stated was that I had been emailed by someone who stated that you were X

Comparing your comments and behaviour, I concluded that you are the person as stated - and todays posts by you merely compounds my thought.

Now, why not stop following me around, making odious comments about me, and in particular regarding my deceased wife.

And if you disagree with a comment made by me then either reply to that comment and/or the subject matter, ignore the comment, or simply put me on your ignore list.

You do yourself no favours with these spats, as I am sure a certain person in Cumbria will affirm.

And yes, I have put you on ignore, as that way I no longer have to see some weirdo constantly following me around - even in the non football threads.

47 minutes ago, Bill said:

No that is just you making up stuff, again

What I stated was that I had been emailed by someone who stated that you were X

Comparing your comments and behaviour, I concluded that you are the person as stated - and todays posts by you merely compounds my thought.

Now, why not stop following me around, making odious comments about me, and in particular regarding my deceased wife.

And if you disagree with a comment made by me then either reply to that comment and/or the subject matter, ignore the comment, or simply put me on your ignore list.

You do yourself no favours with these spats, as I am sure a certain person in Cumbria will affirm.

And yes, I have put you on ignore, as that way I no longer have to see some weirdo constantly following me around - even in the non football threads.

Happy days. 

I have no idea what Bill is on about I have never been on here before under any other name  or any other forum. 

I have no idea who he thinks I am, butt he usual backtracking and deflection tactics. 

Hopefully him putting me on ignore will improve things for all. 

Good riddance 

Edited by Greavsy

4 hours ago, chicken said:

No they haven’t. They named the initial 2, then they’ve not given further information since the cancellations, it’s being referred to as a “small number” now.

Weird isn't it....nearly a whole competitive season without serious covid interference, then we play a few pre-season friendly games......

26 minutes ago, Mello Yello said:

Weird isn't it....nearly a whole competitive season without serious covid interference, then we play a few pre-season friendly games......

Wonder if the entire squad has been double vaxxed?

The outbreak does seem strange and doesn't bode well when 27,000 of us pile into FCR in a coupld of weeks time.

In truth I'm hoping first none of the players fall seriously ill. Lest we forget Covid isn't trivial.

Didn't Stiepermann only a week or two ago admit to 'long covid' as part of his malaise?

I suspect however we are far from alone with covid issues with the Delta variant currently in the EPL.

I remember thinking 20 odd yrs ago when Bellamy done his cruciate in pre season (at Southend?) whuch ruled him out of almost a whole season...and again a few yrs ago when Klose and Ptitchard were both put out for over half a season in a pre season match at Cambridge, whether it might just be better to not play any of these games at all?......I guess we might be about to find out?!

2 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

Wonder if the entire squad has been double vaxxed?

The outbreak does seem strange and doesn't bode well when 27,000 of us pile into FCR in a coupld of weeks time.

Double vax doesn't stop transmission - seems to be some odd kind of idea that vaccinations make you impervious, they don't. You can still fall ill, even seriously, but the chances are drastically reduced of the more extreme effects of the virus.

It's not really strange considering the recent relaxation of the lockdown rules to having none and just "advice". They are going to games in a coach together, training together, gym work together.

3 hours ago, Mello Yello said:

I mean poor old Stiepermann might say otherwise... but then also remember we were living under much stricter conditions then and all players were being double tested etc. 

Farke and Zimbo both had their second vaxes at Cringleford three weeks ago this coming Saturday. It struck me at the time as being a bit later than I would have expected but both might have returned to their homeland during the close season and who knows when or where they had their first vaxes.

8 hours ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I remember thinking 20 odd yrs ago when Bellamy done his cruciate in pre season (at Southend?) whuch ruled him out of almost a whole season...and again a few yrs ago when Klose and Ptitchard were both put out for over half a season in a pre season match at Cambridge, whether it might just be better to not play any of these games at all?......I guess we might be about to find out?!

There's something in that, as players not quite up to full fitness can be more prone to injury, but cancelling them altogether is a bit extreme. They serve a valuable purpose.

It often depends upon the opponents selected. Usually they are played in a decent spirit, with little of the mutual rough stuff. The Lynn game was. Occasionally you will get player/players who seem unable to conform. The Huddersfield player who mixed it with P L-M last time out went OTT, imo. That could have gone badly, either way.

Weren't we roughed up a bit in recent seasons in a friendly? Was it Cambridge?

18 hours ago, Greavsy said:

Happy days. 

I have no idea what Bill is on about I have never been on here before under any other name  or any other forum. 

I have no idea who he thinks I am, butt he usual backtracking and deflection tactics. 

Hopefully him putting me on ignore will improve things for all. 

Good riddance 

It looks like just me who will be having this plonked on my posts then Greavsy.

Calvin Klein Obsession for Men

20 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

1. Go to your profile at the top right hand of the page and left click. 

2. Click on the Ignored Users. 

3. Type in Bill,  in the 'Add new user to ignore list box'-you will get a list of matching or part matching users.

4. Click on the user you want to ignore-you will get a choice of what content to ignore-Posts, Messages, Signature or Mentions.

5. Click on the 'Add user' button and start your increased enjoyment of the messageboard.

NB If you choose to ignore Posts you won't see the original post, but you will still see it if another user quotes it later one.

Fixed that for you Mr A 😉

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

It looks like just me who will be having this plonked on my posts then Greavsy.

Calvin Klein Obsession for Men

He had other images for me, which I won't miss either. 

Although he has previously said he has blocked me, so as per I don't beleive a word he says... Time will tell.