FatCanary

Buendia to Arsenal for reported £40m

3 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

That Sun article says both Max and Emi 'wanted to leave' last summer. I dont see that from either player. Of course both of them would have been happy to go had the right move come along - but that's not the same as 'wanting to leave' is it?

I don't know, with what happened between Farke and Emi/Todd I can believe there was some discussion. But I'm fairly certain that was dealt with by Webber and justifiably so given the season we subsequently enjoyed.

11 minutes ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Grealish is being talked of as beng worth £100m. I dont see a £60m difference, especially if Emi gets his Argentina cap

Really?

Grealish has been one of the most creative midfielders in the Premier League for two seasons in a row.

I'm not sure Emi can quite claim to be on a par just yet.

On 01/06/2021 at 22:31, king canary said:

I do think some could do with calming down a touch and seeing what actually happens first.

Good luck with that hope. Jim Smith is revving up to full pessimism mode even though the transfer window hasn't opened, and Highland Canary has just found an internet connection after apparently being marooned somewhere the  other side of Neptune for pretty much the whole of this last season.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Good luck with that hope. Jim Smith is revving up to full pessimism mode even though the transfer window hasn't opened, and Highland Canary has just found an internet connection after apparently being marooned somewhere the  other side of Neptune for pretty much the whole of this last season.

Its nice to see so many returning virtual faces though! How they've been missed!

Cant wait for Lincoln Canary to make an appearance.

Nothings happened yet and its like the usual suspects have shoved a couple of extra hamsters onto the wheel thats powering their Windows 95 desktop in the parents basement.. 

• Like 1

This whole Buendia situation and our apparent willingness to sell is close to becoming a tipping point for me. It’s utterly dispiriting and pathetic. There is zero point in us getting promoted to the premier league if we are just continually going to sell our best players before we’ve even kicked a ball. Really not happy that this looks like happening and at the lack of fight we are showing to try and hold onto him. 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

This whole Buendia situation and our apparent willingness to sell is close to becoming a tipping point for me. It’s utterly dispiriting and pathetic. There is zero point in us getting promoted to the premier league if we are just continually going to sell our best players before we’ve even kicked a ball. Really not happy that this looks like happening and at the lack of fight we are showing to try and hold onto him. 

Key word. 

Just now, All the Germans said:

Key word. 

Webber has made it quite clear we are prepared to sell. More or less inviting offers in his recent interviews. 

Letting buendia go will not only mean replacing his own goal contributions, but the main supply line for Pukki who won’t be the same player without him, and an incredible work rate off the ball. That’s a hell of an ask but it looks like we’ll have some money to do it.

Didn't Webber say in an interview recently that if/ when we sell players, the figures 'likely start with a 3' or words to that effect.

Giving a pretty clear indication of what fees they are expecting. 

24 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think everyone understands your frustration, Jim.

But you seemingly fail to understand this is not the simple black and white situation as you’re viewing it.

If at the start of last season, we’ve already PROMISED him that if he works hard and plays his part in getting us back to the Premier League, and then in return, we would allow him a move should a big club come in for him then that’s not something we can go back on, unless either we want to really p155 him off or he himself says ‘no, I want to stay’. Not to mention this would of course get out in public, and suddenly NCFC would find trying to sign young ambitious new players a very different proposition indeed which would be far more harmful in the long run. 

This looks exactly the scenario to me. Though I’m sure none of us including the club expected him to be just quite as good as he was for us this season just gone. And obviously that’s going to make it an even more difficult pill to swallow.

But the bottom line is this. You don’t turn around to the player afterwards and say ‘Sorry, we totally lied’. It’d be completely unacceptable and unprofessional. You just can’t, and don’t, do that.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

But you seemingly fail to understand this is not the simple black and white situation as you’re viewing it.

If at the start of last season, we’ve already PROMISED him that if he works hard and plays his part in getting us back to the Premier League, and then in return, we would allow him a move should a big club come in for him then that’s not something we can go back on, unless either we want to really p155 him off or he himself says ‘no, I want to stay’. Not to mention this would of course get out in public, and suddenly NCFC would find trying to sign young ambitious new players a very different proposition indeed which would be far more harmful in the long run. 

This looks exactly the scenario to me. Though I’m sure none of us including the club expected him to be just quite as good as he was for us this season just gone. And obviously that’s going to make it an even more difficult pill to swallow.

But the bottom line is this. You don’t turn around to the player afterwards and say ‘Sorry, we totally lied’. It’d be completely unacceptable and unprofessional. You just can’t, and don’t, do that.

Can someone point me to Webber / Farke or the club promising our stars a move if the played well this year? Max maybe with the owners interview but.. its mentioned all the time but I seem to have missed it. Cheers

I think we need to take  the so called "official bids" from Arsenal and Villa with a grain of salt at the moment as all the media outlets have just been repeating The Sun comments. There has been no confirmation of it in Norfolk, Arsenal and Villa as far as i know have not officially confirmed the bids.

Sure, Emi will be off to one of these clubs in the near future, with Odegaard returning  back to Spain there is a ready made space in the Gunners squad and Grealish is supposedly on Man City's radar. But for now, Webber keeps his powder dry and lets both those clubs push the bid to 40 mill...which is quite within the realms of possibility  if both clubs really are serious about wanting him.

Saying 'I'm so happy with our model but we need to keep Buendia' is really high level debate sh1thousing.

the damage of selling is overestimated by emotional football fans.

By the sounds of it, we said the Aarons and Buendia that we would let them go if they gave us one more season. It essentially appeased them whilst we tried to bounce back at the first time of asking

Whilst selling our best players does seem to be going against the grain for a promoted side, we are in a better position (financially and playing in the PL) to attract a higher standard of player to replace them. This will also enable us to strengthen in other areas of the squad. 

The 30 million pound bids are fairly standard negotiating - go in low and haggle the best price that you can. Think back to the Robbie Brady transfer where we first offered something like 1.5 million. They'll be back with another bid soon - before Copa America. It bodes well for us that there is competition for his signature, as it will ensure we get what we the money we want.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

E2_UjX4XMAAD8cO?format=jpg&name=medium

Vanished from the Argentina squad. In London prehaps?

I honestly think he wouldn’t leave, playing for the national side is his immediate priority. Hopefully just a knock or something?

I'd have been more surprised if hed been in the matchday squad. It's his first call up, more of of a 'meet the lads and we'll have a good look at you' than 'Emi, you are amazing and going straight into the starting line up' methinks. He's the best we have, but not the best Argentina have, yet.

7 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

There is zero evidence we made any such promise. 

14 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

There is zero evidence we made any such promise. 

That's why he used the word "if".

• Thanks 1

You only have to watch the interview with Webber on the PinkUn website to understand why Norwich will consider selling Emi. Holding players back when they want to leave is never a good look and it is especially bad if the club tried to sell itself to young players as somewhere they should come to develop. It may be that the honesty from Webber is shocking to some people but it is better he is open than makes false promises to fans. 

It is worth remembering that it is in everyone’s interest if the reported fees from a potential sale are on the low side. It suits the buyers as it puts less pressure on Emi and also makes it look like they aren’t spending a huge fee on a player with little track record. It suits Norwich as when they attempt to sign replacements they aren’t quoted larger fees as everyone knows they’ve just had a huge windfall.

The idea that he didn’t make the Argentina team because he’s ‘in London’ is laughable. He isn’t going to come to London and have to self-quarantine just because Arsenal have supposedly had a bid rejected. (I’d also trust the PinkUn, who say there have been no bids, on this over the Sun). 

I think we can all be relaxed knowing Webber is in charge for Norwich and he isn’t going to sell Emi for less than his value and any potential replacements will have been well identified. Norwich were lucky that they could keep Emi this season, without the pandemic it is highly likely he’d have been sold already (and for less). 

• Like 1

Sadly I think the reality is £40 million is probably the ceiling for Emi. We obviously all think he's worth more and is world class etc, but he  hasn't played in europe or internationally yet, so hasn't actually proven it.  Also rightly or wrongly this is how our club is being run, buy promising young talent cheaply, develop them and hopefully sell on for a decent profit.

It's up to Webber to make sure that the team is strengthened with the money we get in. If by selling him we can actually improve a couple of other area's in the team then that's how we will progress.

How did we all feel when Maddison left? Pretty similar i'd say, but we actually went on to produce a much better balanced team which got promotion, partly thanks to the money we got.

I agree it would be better to keep him, but we shouldn't think that without him we are doomed for relegation

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alex Moss said:

They key part here for me is big club.

I know I'm repeating myself and I know its arbitrary but I can't get my head around the attitude some fans have that we can't possibly say no if a team like Villa comes in for him.

Over the last 10 years they're highest finish is 11th, same as ours. Last decade they've had 7 seasons in the top flight, we've had 5. Two years ago they only avoided relegation due to goal line tech malfunctioning. 

Just because Villa have the money doesn't mean we have to say yes. If we're incapable of persuading him to stay in the face of the might of mid table Villa then what's the point?

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

You only have to watch the interview with Webber on the PinkUn website to understand why Norwich will consider selling Emi. Holding players back when they want to leave is never a good look and it is especially bad if the club tried to sell itself to young players as somewhere they should come to develop. It may be that the honesty from Webber is shocking to some people but it is better he is open than makes false promises to fans. 

It is worth remembering that it is in everyone’s interest if the reported fees from a potential sale are on the low side. It suits the buyers as it puts less pressure on Emi and also makes it look like they aren’t spending a huge fee on a player with little track record. It suits Norwich as when they attempt to sign replacements they aren’t quoted larger fees as everyone knows they’ve just had a huge windfall.

The idea that he didn’t make the Argentina team because he’s ‘in London’ is laughable. He isn’t going to come to London and have to self-quarantine just because Arsenal have supposedly had a bid rejected. (I’d also trust the PinkUn, who say there have been no bids, on this over the Sun). 

I think we can all be relaxed knowing Webber is in charge for Norwich and he isn’t going to sell Emi for less than his value and any potential replacements will have been well identified. Norwich were lucky that they could keep Emi this season, without the pandemic it is highly likely he’d have been sold already (and for less). 

Exactly. What amuses me (in the sense that it is laughable) is that posters here praise Webber for his blunt honesty (although he has indulged in the common trick of rubbishing the situation he inherited to show his own performance in a better light) but when he is realistic about transfers and our place in the food chain suddenly he is Doncaster Mark II. Do posters really think that if Webber had said we would not sell Buendia that would have stopped Arsenal or Villa or whoever from bidding?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

I wonder if that's how Man United fans felt when they sold Ronaldo.

Or more recently when Leicester sold Kante,  Maguire...

Or maybe this season when Spurs sell Kane.

But no. Bad little Norwich are this one stand out exception to you aren't they Jim. Laughable.

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

But no. Bad little Norwich are this one stand out exception to you aren't they Jim. Laughable.

There is a quite obvious difference between when Madrid, United or Chelsea come in for your players than Aston ****ing Villa.

Just now, king canary said:

There is a quite obvious difference between when Madrid, United or Chelsea come in for your players than Aston ****ing Villa.

We've not sold Emi to Aston Villa. So im not sure you have a point.

I also think the gap from Spurs to a Manchester United or League winning Leicester to Chelsea isn't a massive difference in gap between us and Villa.

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Spurs fans won’t be happy. The other examples are not abalogeous because those clubs are established where they need to be before those sales.

Chase was hounded out of Carrow Road for more or less doing what is now accepted as our “model” and despite actually delivering success at the top level. 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Spurs fans won’t be happy. The other examples are not abalogeous because those clubs are established where they need to be before those sales.

Chase was hounded out of Carrow Road for more or less doing what is now accepted as our “model” and despite actually delivering success at the top level. 

Most of those clubs were established years before these players were even relevant. How is this even a point? So if we win an FA cup youd then be happy for us to sell everyone off? Give over, you'd be complaining even more.

8 minutes ago, hogesar said:

We've not sold Emi to Aston Villa. So im not sure you have a point.

I also think the gap from Spurs to a Manchester United or League winning Leicester to Chelsea isn't a massive difference in gap between us and Villa.

Well what's your point? Other clubs sell players so we shouldn't be pissed off if we sell our best player? Amazing insight.