Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

2 minutes ago, Badger said:

Jim Smith and Uncle Fred will both explode. 

Interesting stuff - if Todd does go, you feel we will definitely need to nail some of our targets, none of this underbidding and waiting.

Edited by Branston Pickle

Just now, Branston Pickle said:

Interesting stuff - if Todd does go, we will definitely need to nail some of our targets, none of this underbidding and waiting.

To be fair, if Todd goes for the £30-35m+ that Webber has said he'll demand, I suspect we may well do. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Interesting stuff - if Todd does go, you feel we will definitely need to nail some of our targets, none of this underbidding and waiting.

Have we underbid for anybody so far? That Brentford were willing to pay £13.5m for Ajer doesn't mean our £10m was necessarily low. There seems to be a feeling that Brentford have overpaid and that we should not have gone that high.

I don't think there have been any details on our bidding for Rashica or Lees-Melou, but we did sign them both, so sooner or later we offered an acceptable sum. The reports from Greece, if accurate, suggest we did start with a low-ball bid but improved it, or will improve it.

• Like 1

It depends what you mean - Ajer certainly went for more than we were willing to pay (and more than I felt we should bid), it feels we wouldn’t go high enough for Billing, possibly others - who knows, we keep our cards so close to our chest so we have no way of telling!  

I certainly don’t feel we should pay through the nose for players, but equally there’s a happy medium and we need to have a stronger squad than we had at the start of the window.  If Todd were to go, thereby seeing us sell 2 players for £65m+ (to the same side!) it ought to at the very least see us in a position to be able to go back for one or two of our original targets (perhaps Billing/Armstrong). 

Edited by Branston Pickle

15 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Have we underbid for anybody so far? That Brentford were willing to pay £13.5m for Ajer doesn't mean our £10m was necessarily low. There seems to be a feeling that Brentford have overpaid and that we should not have gone that high.

I don't think there have been any details on our bidding for Rashica or Lees-Melou, but we did sign them both, so sooner or later we offered an acceptable sum. The reports from Greece, if accurate, suggest we did start with a low-ball bid but improved it, or will improve it.

by that notion, we have underbid in the same way Liverpool did for Jamal Lewis. Since Brentford were willing to pay £13.5m for him, that was what he was worth. It may go well it may not but that's all speculation.

Fact of the matter is, we need to start getting some bigger bids in for our targets or we won't get them, simple as that

Agreed Tetteys Jig, they are targets for a reason, and we need to start thinking that our valuations may be a bit low, to me it seems like we are trying to barter for every player we need

19 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

by that notion, we have underbid in the same way Liverpool did for Jamal Lewis. Since Brentford were willing to pay £13.5m for him, that was what he was worth. It may go well it may not but that's all speculation.

Fact of the matter is, we need to start getting some bigger bids in for our targets or we won't get them, simple as that

Players are not worth the same to all clubs. That is what Ajer is worth to Brentford. Possibly because they felt they had to upgrade in central defence, while we felt it less of a priority. If Villa sell Grealish then Cantwell (if he is a target for them) will be worth more to them than he would be for, say, Man City.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

This is where Webber’s comments about patience come in. 

While extra players are needed, I don’t think it makes a huge difference to the season if they arrive now, or a few weeks later. 

I can see the last week before deadline day going a bit crazy with some clubs massively overpaying for certain players, and some players going for much less than their clubs are holding out for now. 

If Norwich have to wait a couple of weeks, but save £1m or so then it is worth it. I don’t think they see any of their current targets as players who make or break the season. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

This is where Webber’s comments about patience come in. 

While extra players are needed, I don’t think it makes a huge difference to the season if they arrive now, or a few weeks later. 

I can see the last week before deadline day going a bit crazy with some clubs massively overpaying for certain players, and some players going for much less than their clubs are holding out for now. 

If Norwich have to wait a couple of weeks, but save £1m or so then it is worth it. I don’t think they see any of their current targets as players who make or break the season. 

we're gonna be left with another Naismith at this rate 😒

55 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

In the most recent live chat with Paddy and Connor the Ajer subject came up. They stated that the difference was much more than £13.5m as the deal Norwich offered was £10m structured and the offer from Brentford was £13.5m rising to at least £16m with less of it structured.

In all fairness, that is some difference in valuations. Plus who knows what in wages?

It's at times like this that I think back to McCormack and people slagging the club off for not splashing out the £12m that Villa did. I remember at the time that with his 4 year wages as well, the deal was a commitment of over £20m. Not hard when £40k pw is £2m+ per year, four years, £8m...

Again, when looking at offers, £3.5m may not seem a lot, but if a player wants £40k pw, that's almost two years wages right there in difference.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

we're gonna be left with another Naismith at this rate 😒

I think that is a classic example of a club not having a plan, crapping their pants and spending way to much on a player. Exactly the opposite of what Webber was talking about.

I don't want Cantwell to go, but this window has already shown that players are moving to clubs that people would have not normally thought possible - Norwich getting Rashica is a prime example of this. I'm relaxed about whichever way it goes to be honest - Webber sent out a strong message that they will only sell for a big bid. Luckily I don't think it will take particularly long to sort out either way.

2 hours ago, chicken said:

Isn't that a term that is used for a defensive player that likes to bring the ball forward? 

Matter of taste to some extent. I actually find the use of the number 6 a bit off as for me that's a centre-half but most people don't use it that way, it seems. For me, 4 is the defensive midfielder (but most use 6 for that), 8 the box-to-box one.

That said, you could argue Vrancic was far better in the deep than he ever was at 10. Same with Leitner. Just because they start deep doesn't mean they're primarily defensive when they're there. They can help clog the works up if the opposition are on the counter, but they're not too likely to turn it over and win the tackles themselves.

Lungi looks to me like a defensive midfielder with quite a bit of ability to push on.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

Matter of taste to some extent. I actually find the use of the number 6 a bit off as for me that's a centre-half but most people don't use it that way, it seems. For me, 4 is the defensive midfielder (but most use 6 for that), 8 the box-to-box one.

That said, you could argue Vrancic was far better in the deep than he ever was at 10. Same with Leitner. Just because they start deep doesn't mean they're primarily defensive when they're there. They can help clog the works up if the opposition are on the counter, but they're not too likely to turn it over and win the tackles themselves.

Lungi looks to me like a defensive midfielder with quite a bit of ability to push on.

Yup, I would argue that whilst Vrancic was no doubt a class act, and so was Leitner when he was on it, both were perhaps too much a true CM, they were good getting forward, but not always as quick to get back. Vrancic didn't have the legs to get up and down, which is what Farke had said on a number of occasions. Our 3 AM behind Pukki are all demanded to get back and help regain possession.

For me, Vrancic and Leitner were caught between being decent CM and even AM without responsibility further back, but struggled to make those double pivot positions truly theirs.

I agree re Lungi. 

7 minutes ago, chicken said:

Yup, I would argue that whilst Vrancic was no doubt a class act, and so was Leitner when he was on it, both were perhaps too much a true CM, they were good getting forward, but not always as quick to get back. Vrancic didn't have the legs to get up and down, which is what Farke had said on a number of occasions. Our 3 AM behind Pukki are all demanded to get back and help regain possession.

For me, Vrancic and Leitner were caught between being decent CM and even AM without responsibility further back, but struggled to make those double pivot positions truly theirs.

I agree re Lungi. 

There's the thing with Lungi, I think he replaces Skipp, but brings a slightly different emphasis to the position Skipp played in. Skipp blocked and tackled everything that moved. Lungi will put a foot in (and in one season at Esbjerg he racked 11 yellow cards up, so he clearly will go into tackles if that's asked of him) but hasn't quite got Skipp's frenetic approach. At the same time, if Gilmour's there, he's not exactly going to be told to get up and down and he's also fond of putting one in. Chuck in any of the other three (PLM, Rupp, McLean) and you can confidently say all three of them will make a solid effort to discharge their defensive duties without fuss.

But Lungi can take the ball and break out - he might not look all that fast, but he's languid. Skipp showed the odd sign of it, probably the best example being that penalty he got against Huddersfield where he took the ball on the half-turn inside his own half and decided to pin his ears back driving into space, but it was pretty rare. Lungi looks more than capable of dribbling out with it then finding a telling ball further up, but we just don't know if he can step up to the Premier as indeed he had little chance of showing much of it in the Champs.

Essentially, I'm saying with a Gilmour and one other sitting back, you will get quite close to replacing Skipp's industry. The hope, more than anything, is that one or both of them can be far more effective in progressive passing than Skipp was, and turn defence into attack quicker. Imagine Leitner sped up, and you get the idea.

1 hour ago, KeiranShikari said:

If it was a choice between a 'naismith' or nothing Webber would obviously go with nothing.

Dean Coney's Boots would go for Naismith + bid a few million extra just to make sure! 😃

2 minutes ago, Cantiaci Canary said:

The opening bid reminds me of our tentative approach to buying Brady from Hull! 

Start low, sure, but €4?! 😅

Think there might have been a "m" missed out there. Even by our standards, that's almost Arsenal-esque low-balling. 😉

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I think that is a classic example of a club not having a plan, crapping their pants and spending way to much on a player. Exactly the opposite of what Webber was talking about.

I don't want Cantwell to go, but this window has already shown that players are moving to clubs that people would have not normally thought possible - Norwich getting Rashica is a prime example of this. I'm relaxed about whichever way it goes to be honest - Webber sent out a strong message that they will only sell for a big bid. Luckily I don't think it will take particularly long to sort out either way.

This is what I don’t like. Webber should NOT be sending that message. The message should be “not for sale.” It is just not acceptable for us to sell Buendia and Cantwell in the same transfer window, immediately following promotion. It would be pathetic. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

This is what I don’t like. Webber should NOT be sending that message. The message should be “not for sale.” It is just not acceptable for us to sell Buendia and Cantwell in the same transfer window, immediately following promotion. It would be pathetic. 

That’s highly debatable. We could ultimately end up with an all round stronger team for the Premier League with players bought with their sales. Might not of course, that’s football, but as per usual you’re only prepared to accept we would be categorically worse off, and that just isn’t right.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

The contract is the issue - sell now for £35m or sell in 12 months, even with survival for less than £20m. Pride and what outsiders consider 'pathetic' are the exact type of 'noise' that Webber always talks about the club needing to ignore. The decision should only come down to 'does selling Cantwell for a 'huge' (Webber's words) sum improve the clubs chances of reaching their goals?'. If the answer to that is yes, then sell. If the answer is no, then don't sell. That is the only thing decisions should be based on. 

Webber is just honest - Villa came out and said 'Grealish isn't for sale' and guess what - yes he is. 

• Like 5

Surely if we sell Cantwell also, that’s a bit suicidal? We’d have sold our two most creative players and even if we spend the proceeds, it’s a big gamble on whether we can actually replace them. If he’s still here, I’d expect Cantwell to play a huge role this season. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

That's just silly - every player is for sale, just as every club is that mythical thing, a 'selling club'.

It matters little what Webber says. If a club offered £50m, would City turn it down, of course not ?

What is pathetic is your constant stamping of your little feet, as you have a tantrum.

Both Aarons and Cantwell will move on. A recognition that there are clubs bigger than us who can offer more and pay far higher wages. That is how we got Lewis, Godfrey, Maddison, and now Mumba.

The idea that it is solely in our hands is absurd.

• Like 2