Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

52 minutes ago, Yellow and Green said:

I agree. Reading between the lines of the situation, Todd would be keen to move - which is why he hasn't signed a new contract.

Villa's interest is real (as reported on the main site by Mark Armstrong) and Webber has stated that "we may sell one or more" of the gems. 

It looks like things will happen if/when Grealish goes.

No - there comes a time when you have to make a stand and retain your best players rather than sell every single time your "valuation" is met. We are 2 weeks away from the season, Rashica is unproven. Tzolis (if he signs) is 19 and will need time to acclimatise. Cantwell has proven he can do it in the prem, knows/fits with our style of play and from what i've seen in this pre-season has looked our stand out attacking midfielder (admittedly against lower level teams).

It will damage us hugely to sell him at this stage. It will help Villa who are a rival (without Grealish certainly). Its not worth it. He will still be worth a decent fee next summer if we exercise our option. In my opinion retaining him for this season is worth more to us than selling at this particular moment in time. 

4 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

We can get Tzolis without selling Cantwell.

Billing doesn;t want to come apparently so he can go f**k himself.

But if Cantwell doesn't want to stay we keep him regardless, yeah? 😉

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Seems there might be a chance Tottenham send Skipp out on loan again, if they land all their transfer targets. Article says there is a lot of interest in Skipp from Premier League clubs and teams abroad. So might not be cut and dry that he comes to Norwich should Tottenham decide a loan is the best route.

You would like to think though that we would be in the box seat if they do loan him given his positive experience before and the fact that he personally seemed to enjoy his time with us. 

2 minutes ago, hogesar said:

But if Cantwell doesn't want to stay we keep him regardless, yeah? 😉

Yes. Different situation. 

6 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

No - there comes a time when you have to make a stand and retain your best players rather than sell every single time your "valuation" is met. We are 2 weeks away from the season, Rashica is unproven. Tzolis (if he signs) is 19 and will need time to acclimatise. Cantwell has proven he can do it in the prem, knows/fits with our style of play and from what i've seen in this pre-season has looked our stand out attacking midfielder (admittedly against lower level teams).

It will damage us hugely to sell him at this stage. It will help Villa who are a rival (without Grealish certainly). Its not worth it. He will still be worth a decent fee next summer if we exercise our option. In my opinion retaining him for this season is worth more to us than selling at this particular moment in time. 

and if he wants to leave ?

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

You would like to think though that we would be in the box seat if they do loan him given his positive experience before and the fact that he personally seemed to enjoy his time with us. 

True. But Tottenham may feel he is better served going somewhere else for a variety of reasons. They have a new Sporting Director who will make the decision over where he goes and he might feel that Skipp is better placed to go somewhere that isn't in a relegation battle - he might also feel that going abroad might be the best development path. Especially if the teams interested are in European competition.

I still think the most likely outcome is he stays at Tottenham, Skipp has been involved in all their pre-season games so far and has played well by all accounts. They have a lot of games this season with the Europa Conference League so unless they add a couple of extra players to their midfield and are unable to shift Sissoko I can see there being space for Skipp in their squad. 

Wonder if it would be better for Norwich to go for Tanganga over Skipp anyway.

2 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Yes. Different situation. 

True.

Cantwell wanted  to continue to play PL football last time and I believe that the opportunity presented its self.

This time around, he can get it at Carrrow Road.

It might be a case of less haste being the for the best with regards his ambitions.

A further season in the top league with NCFC could well be the best option for the club as well. His market value is likely to increase, rather than the opposite.

I wouldn't expect the loyalty of a Matt Le Tissier from a footballer of today, but another noteworthy season with Norwich is neither stretching it a bit nor would it be a hindrance to TC's eventual progress within the game.

There's always the lure of bigger bucks now though. 

41 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Seems there might be a chance Tottenham send Skipp out on loan again, if they land all their transfer targets. Article says there is a lot of interest in Skipp from Premier League clubs and teams abroad. So might not be cut and dry that he comes to Norwich should Tottenham decide a loan is the best route.

Surely Spurs' primary concern would be playing time if Skipp goes out on loan again so our chances should be good on that basis. 

I would love Cantwell to stay. However, the facts are he has not signed a new contract and the evidence suggests he would rather move on. We are now approaching a time when those facts will seriously increase the chances of him leaving for a pittance or nothing at all. Given that reality it would be sheer lunacy to turn down offers that hit £25m plus if they were to come in at this stage.

5 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I would love Cantwell to stay. However, the facts are he has not signed a new contract and the evidence suggests he would rather move on. We are now approaching a time when those facts will seriously increase the chances of him leaving for a pittance or nothing at all. Given that reality it would be sheer lunacy to turn down offers that hit £25m plus if they were to come in at this stage.

While I agree with this, it's imperative that we wait until the Grealish deal is done so we can drive the price up. If Man City will pay £100m for Grealish, there's no reason we shouldn't hold out for at least what we sold Emi for.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

True. But Tottenham may feel he is better served going somewhere else for a variety of reasons. They have a new Sporting Director who will make the decision over where he goes and he might feel that Skipp is better placed to go somewhere that isn't in a relegation battle - he might also feel that going abroad might be the best development path. Especially if the teams interested are in European competition.

I still think the most likely outcome is he stays at Tottenham, Skipp has been involved in all their pre-season games so far and has played well by all accounts. They have a lot of games this season with the Europa Conference League so unless they add a couple of extra players to their midfield and are unable to shift Sissoko I can see there being space for Skipp in their squad. 

Wonder if it would be better for Norwich to go for Tanganga over Skipp anyway.

Challenge with CB loan is it only really works if you can promise minutes which I don’t think we can, if(!) we keep back 4. And I’m not sure how incrementally better off we are with another youngster CB on the side lines - presumably they would push Big Andy on loan. Unless Tanganga can slot in DM, I’ll admit I don’t know much.

If Cantwell is dead set on leaving then there would be no point in keeping him IMO if we are offered a good price, it's the same thing every time. A player who doesn't want to be here with a contract running down is useless to the club. 

Hopefully he doesnt feel that way but if he does the club realistically has few options.

Skipp would be the signing of the season for us if we can get him back. Our best player last season other than Emi, and clearly incredibly well liked and trusted by the coaching team and players. Would do wonders for the squad’s confidence, let alone their ability.

As Bethnal said, I still expect him to stay at Spurs unfortunately, and it does present a slight issue in the sense that if Skipp is still potentially available, what do we do in regards to the CB position which we were expected to use our 2nd PL loan spot for?

52 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Do you remember the recent thread when we laughed at Brentford’s forum posts suggesting they had done well with their couple of signings, and the discussion about whether they could/should buy Cantwell? Something very similar is likely to happen to your post Jim on a Villa (or even a neutral) forum.

Skipp would be a hell of a signing and would likely give everyone a boast, fans and club alike, that would probably undo a lot of the pain of loosing Emi. Certainly better news than we’ve heard in previous weeks. I have to disagree with those saying the SD will decide where Skipp goes, I think the player actually has a lot of power in that, in fact it’s documented from the horses mouth that Skipp went through and researched his options before choosing us.

On Cantwell, personally I want to keep him, however if it meant we went back into the market and were able to get an Armstrong or Chair from QPR then I’d be less disappointed. Todd on his day can be our best player, hopefully he can stay and have a blinder!

52 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

You’ve definitely got your yellow and green glasses on today!

Loans are about getting the maximum possible useful experience for your loanee, not ensuring they enjoy themselves. Bethnal has already covered some of this, but Skipp has already been at Norwich and learnt from the experience.  The benefits of coming back are surely less than playing somewhere new? I recognise that there are other factors too, like how likely the loanee is to play, and the compatibility with the way the team plays, but Spurs will be looking for the maximum possible opportunity to develop Skipp further, which is likely to come from a different environment to last season.

16 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Do you remember the recent thread when we laughed at Brentford’s forum posts suggesting they had done well with their couple of signings, and the discussion about whether they could/should buy Cantwell? Something very similar is likely to happen to your post Jim on a Villa (or even a neutral) forum.

Putting on my corked hat, everyone in the league is a rival, they just might not be relegation rivals (as we are not going to be in the relegation fight 😜)

3 minutes ago, cornish sam said:

Putting on my corked hat, everyone in the league is a rival, they just might not be relegation rivals (as we are not going to be in the relegation fight 😜)

Very good! 😂

24 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Much as Skipp coming back would be fantastic I sadly don't see it happening. Where's he playing?

Gilmor/Melou in the middle and dowell at number 10 seems to be our main midfield

If by some miracle we were to sign Skipp again this season then our midfield would consist of Skipp plus any two from Gilmour/ Melou/ McClean.

To suggest that he would not get in the team ahead of our recent signings after last seasons heroics is laugahable.

24 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

You’ve definitely got your yellow and green glasses on today!

Loans are about getting the maximum possible useful experience for your loanee, not ensuring they enjoy themselves. Bethnal has already covered some of this, but Skipp has already been at Norwich and learnt from the experience.  The benefits of coming back are surely less than playing somewhere new? I recognise that there are other factors too, like how likely the loanee is to play, and the compatibility with the way the team plays, but Spurs will be looking for the maximum possible opportunity to develop Skipp further, which is likely to come from a different environment to last season.

That would be true if we were still in the championship, but it will be a different experience as it’s a new league. And more importantly it’s the league Spurs play their football in and will require Skipp to take the step up into. Cant see them wanting to send him abroad, though I could see him have a small chance of going to a different Prem. I’d still say we’ve got an 80% to get him if he was to be made available for a loan,

1 hour ago, Bill said:

eh ?

The Giannoulis fee would have already been budgeted for

Our accounts from a couple of years back had us owed around £25m in staged transfer payments, and us owing around £22m (or thereabouts_

That is how the transfer system works - and is what in part determined what we spent when we last went up. The silly little club AFCB owed around £80m in staged transfer payments when there were relegated last year. Which is believed to be around £30m outstanding, which will see further sales, given their parachute payments drop this season.

Basically, clubs borrow against what is owed. It will be a few seasons before we get the full £35m for Buendia, but we are able to sign players knowing those payments will met by incoming payments from Villa.

It is when relegated clubs have not kept those two figures balanced that they fall into financial trouble. AFCB borrowed on the basis that their particular gravy train would not end.

Bill, I think we are at crossed wires here. I'm not disputing that transfer payments are staggered, it was merely an expression to point out that PAOK have a substantially improved balance sheet than before we bought a player from them. Not sure that's controversial at all.

PAOK would have been feeling pressure to make money back that was lost due to COVID. That pressure will have been partially relieved by selling Giannoulis to us. 

That is then going to increase the price we must pay for any of their other players as the relative position of PAOK has improved and they won't need to sell (as desperately) to balance the books.

29 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Much as Skipp coming back would be fantastic I sadly don't see it happening. Where's he playing?

Gilmor/Melou in the middle and dowell at number 10 seems to be our main midfield 

I've seen people suggest this midfield of Gilmor and Melou with an attacking three, potentially, Cantwell, Raschia and Tzelois ahead of them but I think such a side would get bullied off the park most games. 

We were extremely short in the middle of the park last season in the prem and this was our biggest weakness. I'm suspecting we will see a more defensive minded 3 in the middle for most of this season, so I can imagine it being Gilmor, Melou and a DM. Potentially in a Southgate style line up. 

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Bill, I think we are at crossed wires here. I'm not disputing that transfer payments are staggered, it was merely an expression to point out that PAOK have a substantially improved balance sheet than before we bought a player from them. Not sure that's controversial at all.

PAOK would have been feeling pressure to make money back that was lost due to COVID. That pressure will have been partially relieved by selling Giannoulis to us. 

That is then going to increase the price we must pay for any of their other players as the relative position of PAOK has improved and they won't need to sell (as desperately) to balance the books.

Nope, the price is what we are willing to pay, not what PAOK demand/need etc - as with Celtic, Ajer

3 minutes ago, Bill said:

Nope, the price is what we are willing to pay, not what PAOK demand/need etc - as with Celtic, Ajer

Again I understand how markets work Bill.

Your assumption in the above example is that PAOK must sell. My point is that PAOK have two options, to sell or not to sell. 

If they are under financial pressure, then the price that would be willing to accept will be lower than if they are not, simply because the short term need to raise cash is greater.

If a club is struggling, it's a buyer's market, if a club is financially secure, it's a seller's. That's not controversial.

1 minute ago, priceyrice said:

I've seen people suggest this midfield of Gilmor and Melou with an attacking three, potentially, Cantwell, Raschia and Tzelois ahead of them but I think such a side would get bullied off the park most games. 

We were extremely short in the middle of the park last season in the prem and this was our biggest weakness. I'm suspecting we will see a more defensive minded 3 in the middle for most of this season, so I can imagine it being Gilmor, Melou and a DM. Potentially in a Southgate style line up. 

Please, no.  Southgate is a "leave out your most creative players and stay solid" type of manager. If we go down that route, I'll switch off from it as I don't want to watch a team play with so little spark. 

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

Again I understand how markets work Bill.

Your assumption in the above example is that PAOK must sell. My point is that PAOK have two options, to sell or not to sell. 

If they are under financial pressure, then the price that would be willing to accept will be lower than if they are not, simply because the short term need to raise cash is greater.

If a club is struggling, it's a buyer's market, if a club is financially secure, it's a seller's. That's not controversial.

you seem to be simply making up stuff I have not said

ie PAOK  must sell and I have not claimed anything is controversial either

what I have said is that we will pay what we think he is worth - end of

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Please, no.  Southgate is a "leave out your most creative players and stay solid" type of manager. If we go down that route, I'll switch off from it as I don't want to watch a team play with so little spark. 

It is the same approach as Liverpool... 

Three solid central midfielders who provide the base for the attacking players to work off. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We need to stay up next season. That probably won't involve pretty football, so I fear there will be some disappointed people either way on here.