Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

Thinking about it, Cahill would be the ideal signing if we aren't going to spend a big fee on someone this summer.

He won't necessarily play every game but what better mentor would there be for Big Andy.

Leaves us money to spend on the Greek fella and a unit for the middle

6 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I saw Klose was back in Switzerland and wondered if an agreement on his contract had been reached. Although Leitner spent a whole year in Germany before his contract was cancelled. 

I’d be a big fan of getting Cahill on a year contract to add leadership and experience. Rumour was he’d turned down a contract worth over £30k a week at Palace though. 

I saw he’d been released this morning and wondered if it was something we might be interested in; I’m sure something could be sorted given it’d be on a ‘free’.  He’s still fit and could offer us something for a season or two.

Like the idea of this.

A little bit of experience is what we lacked last, of course Hanley and Gibson and Zimbo have been there before but this guy has played nearly all his career in the PL and will add so much to the squad.

Given the fitness doubts over Gibson and Hanley, Cahill might be straight in against Liverpool.

This would be a great signing and frees uo funds to make Cantwell an offer he can't refuse!

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I would expect it is somewhere in the region of €50k to €60k a week. He signed his latest contract when Schalke were 4th in the league and regular Champions’ League contenders and he was considered a key player with a very bright future  

Schalke have always been one of the higher payers in Germany as well. 

Just had a quick look around. Several links suggesting this one is pretty much spot on, used just because it is the clearest I have found, one was in US dollars... 
https://soccerprime.com/bundesliga-player-salaries/

So you could be right with that valuation.

I think before we get ahead of ourselves, myself included, we should remember that Cahill announced he was leaving Palace a short while ago, and this was likely just an idea (albeit a good one!) by the OP rather than us actually getting firmly linked, hence the lack of accompanying information. But he’d be one hell of a signing, though I suspect there’s be a lot of competition for his signature - Leeds for instance, who would likely pay higher wages, might take him on a years contract, as they’ve suffered a couple of minor injuries to their CB’s during their pre season friendlies and look short for the start of the season.

I'm just going to say it would be highly unusual for us to sign someone over 32 let alone someone who is 35... He could add experience, but is it wages or contract length he wants? Both could be an issue for us.

4 minutes ago, chicken said:

I'm just going to say it would be highly unusual for us to sign someone over 32 let alone someone who is 35... He could add experience, but is it wages or contract length he wants? Both could be an issue for us.

Would love to see him here, but an injury a couple of seasons back aside, he’s in great shape and speaking to a Palace friend a moment ago, he said Cahill was quality last season. That will not have gone unnoticed by some that can pay higher wages unfortunately. Can see him going to a Leeds or Villa, but I can almost imagine the uproar on here if he fancies staying in London and joins the best footballing side in the world, Brentford.

23 minutes ago, chicken said:

I cant imagine he'll be demanding anything more than a one year deal. 

For me, if we feel we need added experience and leadership at the back, signing someone like him makes sense. Not every signing has to have resale value, especially if the fee is low and the contract is short.

Amine Harit wasn’t included in the Schalke squad today I see. Anyone know if he’s carrying an injury or was he left out for other reasons. 

13 minutes ago, Jpootz said:

Amine Harit wasn’t included in the Schalke squad today I see. Anyone know if he’s carrying an injury or was he left out for other reasons. 

He’s been frozen out as the club as trying to sell as soon as possible, don’t think he was involved in much of their preseason either. 

Cahill left Palace as the club would not meet his wage demands.

So we should meet those demands.............. to have his ar se warming the bench - where his experience would be invaluable, so it would appear.

Every reason to keep Klose, then.

3 hours ago, VillaFan said:

Yep, that is how I would like to see it and why I would be happy to take the 100m. Yes, we currently have very wealthy backers who are spending bucket loads of cash but although I am enjoying it I also realise it can't last forever. We need to move to a model like Norwich and become self sustaining. I am just hoping that this investment at Villa is for the short term and just to give us a leg up to skip the queue and consolidate as a top half PL team. Then, with the risk of relegation somewhat removed we can try to operate as a sensible club, spending 100m+ on players each summer is not a strategy I am overly happy with. 

Birmingham was always Englands second City, many today would think it was Mancheter, as  a City you should have a team in or around the Euro spots, not as a right but through geographical,populaion, immediate competition locally etc. You now look to be heading that way and best of fortune. Hope your investor/s prove to be benevolent and benign. I wish you even  more success if we take six points off ye next season.😉😇👍

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

So we should meet those demands.............. to have his ar se warming the bench - where his experience would be invaluable, so it would appear.

Cahill played over 45 games for Palace in the two seasons he was there, Klose’s injuries have caught up with him and if he wasn’t good enough for us in the Champs last season he’s nowhere near good enough for the PL any more.

In terms of ££, the fact that Cahill is on a free means that he’d get a signing on fee instead of the higher salary, that’s easily sorted.

So basically, what you’re saying is pretty much rubbish. Plus ca change as the French say.

Whether we, or indeed Cahill, would be interested is another thing, though.

Edited by Branston Pickle

11 minutes ago, Bill said:

You think Cahill would be on the bench? Even at 35 he’s a true proven PL quality CB.

If we were to play 3 at the back Cahill, Gibson and Hanley is a pretty strong bottom half PL back 3 IMO.

I doubt we will pay his wages even for a one year contract, doesn’t seem our sort of signing but who knows what Webber has planned this window.

Cahill is a much, much better player than Klose at this level though.

3 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

You think Cahill would be on the bench? Even at 35 he’s a true proven PL quality CB.

eh ?

I was merely replying to those who said he would if he joined us

do try to keep up

5 minutes ago, Bill said:

eh ?

I was merely replying to those who said he would if he joined us

do try to keep up

Who were they? Should be pretty easy for you to quote them.

Edited by Monty13

9 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

In terms of ££, the fact that Cahill is on a free means that he’d get a signing on fee instead of the higher salary, that’s easily sorted.

oh dear,

slowly.................................

Palace would not meet his wage demands, which presumes we would have to

So calling it a signing on fee somehow means we would be paying less 🤔

6 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

Who were they? Should be pretty easy for you to quote them.

"He won't necessarily play every game but what better mentor would there be for Big Andy."

29 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Hope your investor/s prove to be benevolent and benign.

Me too!

29 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

I wish you even  more success if we take six points off ye next season.😉😇👍

Emi to score the winner and to respectfully not celebrate. Tammy scored against us at the first opportunity following his return to Chelsea and wouldn't celebrate. It actually meant more to me than I expected it to.

Good luck next season!

• Like 1

Just now, Bill said:

"He won't necessarily play every game but what better mentor would there be for Big Andy."

So where does that suggest he will be bench warming? Do you think all our CBs will play every game?

Thats the only comment that apparently you were responding to although it doesn’t suggest he will be a bench warmer like you said. I thought there were more? You said you were replying to “those who said”.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

So to play on words like you do, that clearly says he won't necessarily play every game but would clearly play more than Klose who guess whay, won't play any as he's not up to it.

Do keep up expert of all things football.

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

oh dear,

slowly.................................

Palace would not meet his wage demands, which presumes we would have to

So calling it a signing on fee somehow means we would be paying less 🤔

Do you actually understand anything at all about transfers?  Your comment suggests not.  
For someone who is picky you seem to be quite dumb. I’ll spell it out for you.  A player on a ‘free’ means no transfer fee to the ‘parent’ club as there isn’t one, which ‘saves’ a lot of ££.  Instead, there’s a much lower signing- on fee which can reduce/accommodate the higher salary demand. It is quite simple. 

Edited by Branston Pickle

Cahill signing on a free would be huge in terms of experience, and being released means you can focus on salary.

Have I missed something, but are we actually linked with Harit?

2 minutes ago, Monty13 said:

So where does that suggest he will be bench warming? Do you think all our CBs will play every game?

Thats the only comment that apparently you were responding to although it doesn’t suggest he will be a bench warmer like you said. I thought there were more? You said you were replying to “those who said”.

I think you answered your own question

The consensus is that he would join to add experience and as a mentor, not be first choice

2 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Do you actually understand anything at all about transfers?  Your comment suggests not.

I think we all know that he doesn't so you've just wastes finger taps BP 😬

4 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

So to play on words like you do, that clearly says he won't necessarily play every game but would clearly play more than Klose who guess whay, won't play any as he's not up to it.

Do keep up expert of all things football.

ditto Cahill, that being the point

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

He’s been frozen out as the club as trying to sell as soon as possible, don’t think he was involved in much of their preseason either. 

Had managed to miss how bad their situation seems to be.

Rumours Kabak could be had for nothing, Nastasic offloaded for a small fee to Fiorentina apparently, bargains to be had!