Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

5 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

If we sell cantwell for say 25m plus add ons rising to say 35m then I would be very excited at the prospect of webber having 40m+ still to spend this window on the squad. He has worked miracles so far on shoestring budgets so let's see what he can unearth with more money.

He already has that money to spend. 30m plus for buendia and a budget of 15m pre any sales and after you include the loan to buy options which came out of last years budget that is a supposed 45m to work with this summer, obviously includes all aspects of a transfer and player wage but I expect that even without selling Cantwell we will see some major spending this summer. The issue we have at the moment is getting the deals done. 

6 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

That's our problem, every penny we make goes straight into Delia's handbag............... 😉

She had to invest in a Mary Poppins style one after the Buendia sale.

5 minutes ago, Yella Army said:

If we sell cantwell for say 25m plus add ons rising to say 35m then I would be very excited at the prospect of webber having 40m+ still to spend this window on the squad. He has worked miracles so far on shoestring budgets so let's see what he can unearth with more money.

I agree with you. I think Villa are about 2 years ahead of Norwich in development as a PL club (I don't buy into this 'big club' BS as we won a few cups 40 years ago). When we came up it was very difficult to attract players as they didn't want to go to a newly promoted team and risk going straight back down. We bought players from the Championship, and some players from outside the top leagues and Douglas Luiz from City but had never played for City and was on loan in the lower division in Spain. Someone at Norwich has clearly got a good eye for recruitment and your coaching can bring players on. If a club buys Cantwell it could be the money needed to buy a little more strength across the team which could help retain PL status next season. Palace, Saints, Watford, Brentford and maybe Newcastle and Burnley are all reasonable targets to finish above next season and a few good additions could make the difference.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 1902 said:

It's the chance to rebuild the team to create a more balanced squad

That is such an important and valid point for us (and most teams). We are way too dependent on Grealish and selling him would help get the balance right. 

From a NCFC perspective, sorry, I don't know your players well enough, but is Cantwell that important to Norwich in the PL and is it a case of u should keep him at all costs or can you afford to lose him and get 2 or 3 quality players in to replace him? You won the Champs at a canter last season so u must have a decent enough 1st 11. Ok, Emi is gone but you have replaced him with real quality in Rashica. 

19 minutes ago, Mark .Y. said:

That's our problem, every penny we make goes straight into Delia's handbag............... 😉

A mate of mine sold her a huge Samsonite suitcase a little while ago, now I know why!

Definitely getting a little nervous, the sale of Emi was obviously a hammer blow - but we followed it up with some good business. Bit now with the Cantwell contract situation and Villa interest, we're certainly not out the woods with important players potentially leaving.

Feel like we really need to kick on asap and get some more quality in this week. The cancelled friendlies and tough start to the season haven't done us too many favours.

Not time to panic yet though. We're fantastic at conducting business quietly, so I'm not worried about lack of rumours.

15 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

That is such an important and valid point for us (and most teams). We are way too dependent on Grealish and selling him would help get the balance right. 

From a NCFC perspective, sorry, I don't know your players well enough, but is Cantwell that important to Norwich in the PL and is it a case of u should keep him at all costs or can you afford to lose him and get 2 or 3 quality players in to replace him? You won the Champs at a canter last season so u must have a decent enough 1st 11. Ok, Emi is gone but you have replaced him with real quality in Rashica. 

Theres the question for us all. For me, he is a good player but Webber will probably do more with 40 million (if you guys pay that) than Cantwell will do for us. It's a bit different if we had a squad that was semi premiership ready, but at the moment there are just too many holes. We need a new DM, Centre Back, backup for Pukki and potentially another winger. Even with the Buendia money, that's a lot.

Others on here disagree (very legitimately, ultimately none of us know how Todd will develop or how the replacements will pan out) but I think there is also a justifiable wish to keep him because he is local which sometimes I feel slightly distorts the debate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Don't think Schalke did relegation wage reduction clauses (which is why they are having a bit of a fire sale right now). They were in the Champions' League only two seasons ago - I doubt they ever considered that relegation was a feasible risk to guard against.

How high are his wages? I cannot imagine the wages are as daft in the bundesliga as they are in the prem

Some good points Villafan, I’m in the build for the future mind set, it makes sense for a club like ours to buy the best we can, we are in the different shop window to Villa as you guys are in a different shop window to the Chelsea and Man C. 
I always say depth in squad beats a single player as Liverpool found out, one bad injury to that player and the side looks far different. Better to have a balanced squad as high quality as you can afford give you the best chance of survival.

If we can buy Tzolis for ten million then get Billings and a CB in for the money from Cantwell I’d be very happy. If you guys genuinely want to buy Todd, it’s all press and fan speculation at present.

10 minutes ago, 1902 said:

We need a new DM, Centre Back, backup for Pukki and potentially another winger. Even with the Buendia money, that's a lot.

If you need to fill those positions to stay in the PL next season then it sounds like the sensible thing is to sell Cantwell and try and buy players for those positions. Even if it doesn't work out and u get relegated then you would no doubt be in a better position for another immediate return but with a much stronger squad and only needing to add a little quality as opposed to having to rebuild the spine

15 minutes ago, Indy said:

I always say depth in squad beats a single player as Liverpool found out, one bad injury to that player and the side looks far different. Better to have a balanced squad as high quality as you can afford give you the best chance of survival.

I am 100% in agreement with you on that. Just look at the improvement in Liverpool when they sold Coutinho and reinvested in quality at the back. They went on to win everything

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

I would like Grealish to stay but equally I will be happy to get 100m for him. He is a great player but he is 25 and has injury problems, he missed 3 months of last season. Yes we are better with him but I would have some faith in the recruitment team at Villa to replace him with quality. Also, Villa must be close to FFP threshold, we made a loss of 100m last season. A 100m profit on our books should allow Villa to stay clear of any trouble and continue with some serious investment in the next few transfer windows. Some people don't like my view on players at my club but I view everyone as saleable for the right price as long as the money is reinvested in the team and not taken as profits for the owners.

£100m for grealish is a scandal 

just hope he doesn’t turn into another rodwell 

good luck for next season and look after Buendia 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yobocop said:

£100m for grealish is a scandal 

It is a crazy amount. I also don't get why City want him. They have lots of quality players in that position, I think they would be better off putting the money towards buying Kane or Haaland. Haaland would "only" cost another 50m and is much younger, better injury record, scores stupid amounts of goals and would potentially have a much bigger resale value in 3 years time. Football is a funny game at times.

9 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

How high are his wages? I cannot imagine the wages are as daft in the bundesliga as they are in the prem

I would expect it is somewhere in the region of €50k to €60k a week. He signed his latest contract when Schalke were 4th in the league and regular Champions’ League contenders and he was considered a key player with a very bright future  

Schalke have always been one of the higher payers in Germany as well. 

13 hours ago, VillaFan said:

What did I make up? That is what you posted 

Dont do it to yourself Villafano !!!! You have engaged with the forum know all and accuser-in-chief. We as a forum like to engage with oppo fans. Bilious doesn't. He likes to have the last word and be the font of all knowledge...at all times and woe betide anyone who may point out even the slightest inaccuracies in what he spouts. .....it was ever thus.  Soon he will call your Club Grubby, corrupt etc etc . Weve seen it all before. Laugh at his bullshoite and ignore.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

We as a forum like to engage with oppo fans.

Thank you. I also like to engage with opp fans. It is often very difficult as for some reason people get very tribal and quite rude and insulting on football forums. Personally, I think it is great to hear views from fans of other clubs as it tends to give a more balanced perspective on your own club. 

My view on NCFC for what it is worth...

- I like the idea of  being self sufficient

- I like you didn't sack Farke when u were relegated

- I believe NCFC didn't plan to or intend to stay up in the PL the season before last (obviously u would have accepted it if it happened). I believe this was a deliberate and clever tactic. Just look at what happened Fulham trying to do things too quickly

- You have bought well and sold at a profit and reinvested well

- This season u have a chance of staying up but I think it will take a fair few more £££ to be spent which I am not sure NCFC want to. It looks like the plan maybe to build a stronger team, go down and come straight back up again and then give it a real go at staying up

- U need a striker 

- One of my favourite moments in football was 'Let's be havin you'. 

• Like 2

Fans from other clubs talking sense. What on earth happened? 😄 

I don't think we completely threw the towel in when in the Premier League two years ago, tbf - just losing three centre-halves at once was breaking the back of the resistance of a side that essentially got up a year too early. If we'd kept them fit, I think we'd have had a fair chance, but no more.

5 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

Thank you. I also like to engage with opp fans. It is often very difficult as for some reason people get very tribal and quite rude and insulting on football forums. Personally, I think it is great to hear views from fans of other clubs as it tends to give a more balanced perspective on your own club. 

- I believe NCFC didn't plan to or intend to stay up in the PL the season before last (obviously u would have accepted it if it happened). I believe this was a deliberate and clever tactic. Just look at what happened Fulham trying to do things too quickly

- This season u have a chance of staying up but I think it will take a fair few more £££ to be spent which I am not sure NCFC want to. It looks like the plan maybe to build a stronger team, go down and come straight back up again and then give it a real go at staying up

- U need a striker 

Jeezus, can’t take much more of your common sense, Villa fan!

We were very unlucky with injuries that season, but I will stick to my guns with my thoughts from the moment we were initially promoted under Webber. He did an interview that summer and you could read between the lines that either outcome would be good for the club. We went up, stole a load of money, kept it with little expenditure (went the loan route - savvy and risk free if it went wrong, which it did), and have now from that got ourselves in a pretty solid financial position (which only matters to me as it’s important we don’t get close to the administration days again). The signs are there that we are ‘growing a football club’ rather than buying the ready made fruiting tree, as we have no choice, well that is until the latest huge investor rocks up again ready to turn us into the mighty ‘Burnley Palace’ - just can’t wait for that! 🤮

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VillaFan said:

- U need a striker 

Cheers! Civil to and fro Is grand and fwiw I agree with everything you wrote above.....except for the Delia bit, l love her passion for the Club, but that incident was a bit like seeing your favourite Aunty getting a bit pi$$ed at a family wedding and reminding everyone how you wet your short trousers  when you were  a Kid....a bit  cringey.

One addiional point , not necessarily for you in particular  , but if Villa sell Grealish andspend that money strengthening their squad with 2 or 3 additional squad arent they doing exactly what we have done/ are doing with Buendia?...... and they DO have a wealthy backer, just the numbers are bigger.

12 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I don't think we completely threw the towel in when in the Premier League two years ago

I agree, don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting you threw in the towel at any stage. If I recall, you stuffed Man City at Carrow Road that season. You did all u can to stay up, but it was not in any way a disaster to be relegated as you hadn't banked on staying in the PL.

3 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

but if Villa sell Grealish andspend that money strengthening their squad with 2 or 3 additional squad arent they doing exactly what we have done/ are doing with Buendia

Yep, that is how I would like to see it and why I would be happy to take the 100m. Yes, we currently have very wealthy backers who are spending bucket loads of cash but although I am enjoying it I also realise it can't last forever. We need to move to a model like Norwich and become self sustaining. I am just hoping that this investment at Villa is for the short term and just to give us a leg up to skip the queue and consolidate as a top half PL team. Then, with the risk of relegation somewhat removed we can try to operate as a sensible club, spending 100m+ on players each summer is not a strategy I am overly happy with. 

15 minutes ago, BigA said:

Cahill on a free, Klose released (mutual agreement) 

I saw Klose was back in Switzerland and wondered if an agreement on his contract had been reached. Although Leitner spent a whole year in Germany before his contract was cancelled. 

I’d be a big fan of getting Cahill on a year contract to add leadership and experience. Rumour was he’d turned down a contract worth over £30k a week at Palace though. 

If that's true, Cahill is definitely a good signing for experience, but it does make me wonder if we're going to go three at the back more often.

It would be a shame we couldn't say goodbye to Klose, as well as Vrancic and Tettey though. If this is all true, and Klose is indeed working on becoming a sporting director, then maybe there's a hello again in the future.

4 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I saw Klose was back in Switzerland and wondered if an agreement on his contract had been reached. Although Leitner spent a whole year in Germany before his contract was cancelled. 

I’d be a big fan of getting Cahill on a year contract to add leadership and experience. Rumour was he’d turned down a contract worth over £30k a week at Palace though. 

I thought the same about the wages, but in fairness I could actually see us paying Cahill a high wage in comparison with the rest of the squad on the basis that he’s a free transfer, and it would almost certainly be a 1 year contract. As you mentioned, the leadership and experience that he’d bring would be invaluable.

18 minutes ago, BigA said:

Cahill on a free, Klose released (mutual agreement) 

Where you hearing that, BigA?

Wouldn't say no to Cahill. I’m adverse to getting in a very young CB from another club anyway to make up the CB department this season, as we already have an absolutely outstanding prospect in that department right here in Andy O. Put it this way, had we loaned him from Man City or Liverpool last season, then I think most people would be delighted had we signed him on a permanent this summer, I guess it’s just because he’s not a shiny new exciting player from one of the big boys academies that makes people still want exactly one of those signings still. I think Andy O’s a quality player and have zero fears about him stepping in should that happen. Another proven experienced CB would be most welcome though, and Cahill still looks decent to me.

• Like 1