Alex Moss

Transfer Rumour Thread Season 2021/22

15 minutes ago, priceyrice said:

I've seen people suggest this midfield of Gilmor and Melou with an attacking three, potentially, Cantwell, Raschia and Tzelois ahead of them but I think such a side would get bullied off the park most games. 

We were extremely short in the middle of the park last season in the prem and this was our biggest weakness. I'm suspecting we will see a more defensive minded 3 in the middle for most of this season, so I can imagine it being Gilmor, Melou and a DM. Potentially in a Southgate style line up. 

Absolutely this. Our problem last time round wasn’t lack of skill- it’s that we were bullied off the ball by all the lower teams all season long. Kenny was a prime example. We absolutely must get some muscle for the middle- a skipp type who protects the back 4 and gives other midfielders space to play- if we are to stand any chance at all 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

We need to stay up next season. That probably won't involve pretty football, so I fear there will be some disappointed people either way on here.

There will no doubt be adjustments in the way we play next year. I mainly think it will involve a basis of two formations and more of a counter attacking style.

1 minute ago, Bill said:

you seem to be simply making up stuff I have not said

ie PAOK  must sell and I have not claimed anything is controversial either

what I have said is that we will pay what we think he is worth - end of

Agreed, I didn't dispute that. Whether we buy him will be decided on if our valuation matches theirs. The relative value of a player for PAOK changes with their financial position, so the chances of our valuation matching theirs is shifted by our previous purchase of one of their players.

Ok, so if what I have said makes sense and isn't controversial, then why are you telling me I'm wrong?

3 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

There will no doubt be adjustments in the way we play next year. I mainly think it will involve a basis of two formations and more of a counter attacking style.

Yep, and I think there will be some who don't like that. Personally I enjoy it and think it's the most reasonable chance we have.

5 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Agreed, I didn't dispute that. Whether we buy him will be decided on if our valuation matches theirs. The relative value of a player for PAOK changes with their financial position, so the chances of our valuation matching theirs is shifted by our previous purchase of one of their players.

Ok, so if what I have said makes sense and isn't controversial, then why are you telling me I'm wrong?

you are now arguing against yourself, so I shall leave you to it

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

No - there comes a time when you have to make a stand and retain your best players rather than sell every single time your "valuation" is met. We are 2 weeks away from the season, Rashica is unproven. Tzolis (if he signs) is 19 and will need time to acclimatise. Cantwell has proven he can do it in the prem, knows/fits with our style of play and from what i've seen in this pre-season has looked our stand out attacking midfielder (admittedly against lower level teams).

It will damage us hugely to sell him at this stage. It will help Villa who are a rival (without Grealish certainly). Its not worth it. He will still be worth a decent fee next summer if we exercise our option. In my opinion retaining him for this season is worth more to us than selling at this particular moment in time. 

He'll be worth around half of his current value next season, if he doesn't sign a new deal.

You know what Webber will say. "TC wanted to leave and we don't want to stop anyone progressing their careers. That would send the wrong message to the other players... Our plan is to use that money to improve the squad as a whole. Judge us at the end of the window".

Just now, Bill said:

you are now arguing against yourself, so I shall leave you to it

I'm really not. It's been perfectly consistent throughout. No need to be patronising given I haven't treated you with any disrespect.

1 minute ago, 1902 said:

I'm really not. It's been perfectly consistent throughout. No need to be patronising given I haven't treated you with any disrespect.

You're better off talking to yourself.

Nothing you have said is incorrect you've just not said it in a way that he likes so he will continually try and put you down.

Just add yourself to the list that laugh and sit back and enjoy Bill world 👍

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

No - there comes a time when you have to make a stand and retain your best players rather than sell every single time your "valuation" is met. We are 2 weeks away from the season, Rashica is unproven. Tzolis (if he signs) is 19 and will need time to acclimatise. Cantwell has proven he can do it in the prem, knows/fits with our style of play and from what i've seen in this pre-season has looked our stand out attacking midfielder (admittedly against lower level teams).

It will damage us hugely to sell him at this stage. It will help Villa who are a rival (without Grealish certainly). Its not worth it. He will still be worth a decent fee next summer if we exercise our option. In my opinion retaining him for this season is worth more to us than selling at this particular moment in time. 

I am very much in the camp that is desperate to see Todd stay and sign a new contract, so I can agree with much you say there, Jim. 

However, you can’t keep saying ‘WILL this’ and ‘WILL that’, it’s making it sound factual rather than an opinion. The reality is that we simply do not know that the result of a Cantwell transfer at his most likely possible highest selling point would be worse for us.

Like I say, I agree with much you say there, but you can’t say any new players bought with the funds of Todd’s sale can’t possibly make our team stronger as a whole, and thus give us an even better chance at not only staying up but perhaps even better too, as we simply don’t know what Webber etc would do with those funds etc. He could even buy a Rashica and someone like the Greek lad, and find at the end of the campaign we’ve not only stayed up but turned them each into £35mil+ players! 

• Like 1

I’m firmly in the “sell Todd if the right offer comes in” camp, but I also hope we are offering him a wage that reflects his true value as part of a new contract. That way we lock in a high ongoing valuation, and he gets an incentive to stay.

9 minutes ago, jaberry2 said:

Some sources Josh Sargeant on way to Norwich.

I think it could be Marvin Ducksch. We've been long time admirer's and he is very decent. A cut above Denis Srbeny and his stats are more impressive. Last link was 18/19. My son told me about him as he spent a while in Germany during his study days. Always impressed with him.

Not a marquee signing but a decent one nevertheless. Then, maybe it is Sargent! I hope if the rumours are true, it's Ducksch.

But, we'll see soon enough. Need a signing this weekend.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 1902 said:

I really wouldn't waste your time mate.

1 minute ago, sonyc said:

I think it could be Marvin Ducksch. We've been long time admirer's and he is very decent. A cut above Denis Srbeny and his stats are more impressive. Last link was 18/19. My son told me about him as he spent a while in Germany during his study days. Always impressed with him.

Not a marquee signing but a decent one nevertheless. Then, maybe it is Sargent! I hope if the rumours are true, it's Ducksch.

If there is any truth in it, its either one of the two. I imagine we'll find out whether any truth in it shortly.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

Please, no.  Southgate is a "leave out your most creative players and stay solid" type of manager. If we go down that route, I'll switch off from it as I don't want to watch a team play with so little spark. 

I very much don't enjoy the Southgate style football either but we all know how our style did us last time round. I expect a far more pragmatic Farke this season but that doesn't mean we have to leave out our creative players. 

Appreciating that Farke is very fluid with his formations, I think we will see a 4 5 1 with a midfield 3 of Gilmor, DM and Melou / McLean / Rupp and then 2 wider players behind Pukki. I do think we are looking to play with more pace on the wings this season and more muscle in the middle of the park. 

Alternatively a 5 4 1 which could enable a Gilmor and Melou centre with Cantwell and Dowell / Raschia behind Pukki and the wing backs providing the width. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

Where are the stories, I can't find anything.

Or is this an off the record source?

Some twitter chat and aircraft tracking going on as we speak. We'll see whether there is any truth in the speculation shortly.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

Yep, and I think there will be some who don't like that. Personally I enjoy it and think it's the most reasonable chance we have.

If we parked the bus, got 38 0-0 draws and stayed up, I’d be ecstatic!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr Angry said:

If we parked the bus, got 38 0-0 draws and stayed up, I’d be ecstatic!

Are you Chris Hughton in disguise? Are you Chris Hughton in disguise..

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, horsefly said:

I would love Cantwell to stay. However, the facts are he has not signed a new contract and the evidence suggests he would rather move on. We are now approaching a time when those facts will seriously increase the chances of him leaving for a pittance or nothing at all. Given that reality it would be sheer lunacy to turn down offers that hit £25m plus if they were to come in at this stage.

Ajer just went for £13m with a year left on his contract.

Not sure its nailed on that we would lose Todd for a pittance. Might reduce the fee for a few million but us having a good season and staying up is worth more to us than that. 

2 hours ago, cornish sam said:

Putting on my corked hat, everyone in the league is a rival, they just might not be relegation rivals (as we are not going to be in the relegation fight 😜)

Villa without Grealish are relegation rivals. They are really not as good as people like to make out depsite a better than expected season last season. There is every chance they would be fighting it out with us. 

Just now, Jim Smith said:

Not sure its nailed on that we would lose Todd for a pittance. Might reduce the fee for a few million but us having a good season and staying up is worth more to us than that. 

Quite, if Cantwell takes the league by storm huge offers could still come in during the January window. He’d still have nearly a year and half left on the current contract 

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Don't forget that we have another year option on Cantwell's contract too, so in theory he has two years left still.

1 hour ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

It is the same approach as Liverpool... 

Three solid central midfielders who provide the base for the attacking players to work off. 

Gilmour - Sorensen - Lees-Melou or Gilmour - Rupp - McLean. 

Not bad threes if you ask me.

1 minute ago, Jim Smith said:

Villa without Grealish are relegation rivals. They are really not as good as people like to make out depsite a better than expected season last season. There is every chance they would be fighting it out with us. 

I thought they just bought a player guaranteed to provide their best opportunity to stay up. I'm sure that's what you and some others were saying about Buendia when rumours of his sale from Norwich were rampant.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I dont think Villa will be anywhere near relegation this year. They have enough talent/firepower with or without Grealish to survive.

1 hour ago, Yellow and Green said:

He'll be worth around half of his current value next season, if he doesn't sign a new deal.

You know what Webber will say. "TC wanted to leave and we don't want to stop anyone progressing their careers. That would send the wrong message to the other players... Our plan is to use that money to improve the squad as a whole. Judge us at the end of the window".

I agree thats what Webber will say but I just don't agree in this instance. I'd rather get another season out of Cantwell and sell him for £12m next summer than sell him at this point in time for £30m. I don't think there is any guarantee that we can spend that money on two players who fit as well into how we play as he does and are already proven to be able to do it at premier league level. 

Just my opinion though.

48 minutes ago, sonyc said:

He's OK, but he's basically a reasonably above-average 2. Bundesliga striker according to kicker. Batted at an average mark of 3.44 then 3.56, which is fairly good (1 = incredible, 6 = Sloughbottom Park and 4 essentially works out average).

Marvin Ducksch | Hannover 96 | Spieler-Rangliste - kicker

In fact, Srbeny was ahead of him in the second half of last season.

Stürmer | Rangliste | 2. Bundesliga Sommer 2021 - kicker

6 minutes ago, ncfcstar said:

Don't forget that we have another year option on Cantwell's contract too, so in theory he has two years left still.

Yes sorry i'm talking about what he would be worth next summer if we keep him for another season then have to sell as he's not signed a new deal. 

• Like 1