dylanisabaddog

QPR view of Saturday's game

QPR fans really do have a bizzare obsession with us don't they? Rent free in their heads 🤷‍♂️

• Haha 1

I have the dinstinct impression that our Todd has achieved exactly the type of notoriety in the world of football that he intended to achieve from the outset.

The flamboyance, the hairstyle, the band, the gloves all a well planned marketing ploy creating the Todd Cantwell 'brand.'  A sponsor's dream. It has worked. What next? The front page of Vogue? Pepsi adverts?

Good for him. Good for NCFC. 

John Bond once raised the City profile to it's highest ever level with a similar approach to the media. We were nsuddenly 'on the map.' TC now has social media to assist with a similar approach.

A bit of glamour never goes amiss in the commercial world. Not sure about the Justin Beiber comparison though, funny as it is.

Edited by BroadstairsR

He’s certainly got a really high profile , that’s for sure. Also ironic that in our last game Todd was singled out by the Sky commentators for his honesty for not going down when he was under contact in the box.

Presumably the QPR fans think our 3rd goal in ‘76 was offside? You can’t tell from the highlights clip above, but you can see how it could be. If so, that’s an awesome ability to hold a grudge, and people on here sometimes criticise those of us who’re still unhappy about Hooper disallowing Cam Jam’s overhead kick! I mean if I nursed a grudge over every goal against City in the last 5 decades that was offside or had a foul in the buildup, I’d have no time for anything else in my  life!

personally if I were a QPR fan I’d feel more resentment about Bradley Johnson getting Joey Barton sent off, but there you are.

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The one that still hurts them. 

Anyone at that match and did they bring 10,000 as mentioned? Carrow road looks to be bursting at the seems with over 31,000 in the ground. 

Edited by Midlands Yellow

5 minutes ago, It's Character Forming said:

He’s certainly got a really high profile , that’s for sure. Also ironic that in our last game Todd was singled out by the Sky commentators for his honesty for not going down when he was under contact in the box.

Presumably the QPR fans think our 3rd goal in ‘76 was offside? You can’t tell from the highlights clip above, but you can see how it could be. If so, that’s an awesome ability to hold a grudge, and people on here sometimes criticise those of us who’re still unhappy about Hooper disallowing Cam Jam’s overhead kick! I mean if I nursed a grudge over every goal against City in the last 5 decades that was offside or had a foul in the buildup, I’d have no time for anything else in my  life!

personally if I were a QPR fan I’d feel more resentment about Bradley Johnson getting Joey Barton sent off, but there you are.

It's because if they had won that game, they would have got the 2 points, and with those, would have won the League. Liverpool beating them to it by 1 point, but it wasn't the decider game, and you would have thought QPR fans would have a grudge , either against their team for blowing other results, the officials, Liverpool or Wolves, but hey ho, fill your boots Rs fans (the few of you that still hate us) Whatever

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

It's because if they had won that game, they would have got the 2 points, and with those, would have won the League. Liverpool beating them to it by 1 point, but it wasn't the decider game, and you would have thought QPR fans would have a grudge , either against their team for blowing other results, the officials, Liverpool or Wolves, but hey ho, fill your boots Rs fans (the few of you that still hate us) Whatever

They finished the season on the 24th April, Liverpool pipped them at Wolves on the 4th May. Great fixture compiling back then. 

14 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Anyone at that match and did they bring 10,000 as mentioned?

No chance there were 10k from what I remember although it was a while ago 

3 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

No chance there were 10k from what I remember although it was a while ago 

I was surprised hearing that, for a cup final maybe but they seldom travel in numbers. 

Just now, Midlands Yellow said:

I was surprised hearing that, for a cup final maybe but they seldom travel in numbers. 

To be fair they were well supported at the time, I just don’t remember that many of them being there

1 minute ago, FenwayFrank said:

To be fair they were well supported at the time, I just don’t remember that many of them being there

Yes your right, they averaged 23,000 that season and were an exciting team for a neutral to watch. 

1 hour ago, BroadstairsR said:

I have the dinstinct impression that our Todd has achieved exactly the type of notoriety in the world of football that he intended to achieve from the outset.

The flamboyance, the hairstyle, the band, the gloves all a well planned marketing ploy creating the Todd Cantwell 'brand.'  A sponsor's dream. It has worked. What next? The front page of Vogue? Pepsi adverts?

Good for him. Good for NCFC. 

John Bond once raised the City profile to it's highest ever level with a similar approach to the media. We were nsuddenly 'on the map.' TC now has social media to assist with a similar approach.

A bit of glamour never goes amiss in the commercial world. Not sure about the Justin Beiber comparison though, funny as it is.

I think you've got a point. If I'm not mistaken, the only Norwich player with more Instagram followers than Cantwell is Pukki, so he is certainly doing a decent job of promoting his 'brand'.

3 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Anyone at that match and did they bring 10,000 as mentioned? Carrow road looks to be bursting at the seems with over 31,000 in the ground. 

Our average that season was 23,000. I would guess there were around 7,000 from QPR.  It was packed in the Barclay.

They were a great team to watch in those days.

Edited by dylanisabaddog

Great hair styles looks like they had been in lockdown 

I was there with my Dad . What a game !

10,000 ! 😂 . Some poetic license going on there .  No way , not even close as I remember. 

• Like 1

I recall being woken up - aged 6 at the time - to watch the highlights on motd...it must have been considered a pretty ‘big’ thing as we weren’t football goers at the time.  
Football is weird, we do take against teams for odd reasons, but generally these things come and go; 1976 is a pretty long time to hold a grudge from and I imagine most Rs fans don’t.

Fantastic game, the ground was packed and loud. But there were not a third of that crowd supporting QPR. 

Edited by Surfer

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

Our average that season was 23,000. I would guess there were around 7,000 from QPR.  It was packed in the Barclay.

They were a great team to watch in those days.

True, there were a fantastic team that year. Probably were the best, but not as street wise as Liverpool in their pomp. I can still remember how rammed and noisy it was, those were the days when you could just rock up and pay on the gate and a lot of irregulars did. Don't remember how many of them there were but those were also the days when there really wasn't much segregation of fans so there could have been many more spread round CR than it seemed at the time.

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Yes I was there.

It was a fantastic day all round. Lovely sunny day and QPR were hot favourites as they had one hell of a team. It wasn't quite the David v Goliath of last season when we played Man City but the electric atmosphere was much the same. I don't remember how many QPR fans were there but there were no restrictions on away numbers so it must have been several thousand around the ground.

As someone mentioned Liverpool pipped them to the title at Molyneaux. The Reds fans caused mayhem that night which I shouldn't condone but as it was Wolverhampton.....

I have nothing against their fans but I really dislike the small boutique trendy London clubs with rich owners. These lot, Palace, Watford etc, they exist solely as advertising brands for their billionaire owners and to get to the PL so their owners can skim money off of them. Plus it's annoying that many good players will choose to play for them because they're based in or close to London. Soulless, pointless clubs full of mercenary players who couldn't care less about the club they play for, they may hate us, but who cares, I'd much rater support our club than any of those lot. 

Edited by Christoph Stiepermann

I remember the game I thought it was Easter Saturday. QPR were very good but we had beaten Liverpool and Leeds away that season so it was not a giant killing as portrayed by some. My recollection is they had a lot of fans but nothing like the number of away fans for games like Ipswich, Man Utd or Liverpool that year. I thought they had only about 4000 at the most. I also remember being chased down Newmarket Road by some of their disgruntled fans who actually turned out to be Chelsea fans tagging along with the QPR supporters 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was there, and it was a great game. There were quite a few QPR fans there, but not 10,000. This was the game which ultimately cost them the title - they had won something like the previous 11 or 12 games and while we were certainly not expected to beat them that day, it wasn't a giantkilling - we were a solid mid-table side who could beat anyone, especially at home. The third goal may well have been offside but even if they had drawn they would ultimately have lost the title on goal average. If they had won they would have stayed a point ahead of Liverpool with one to play, so they still needed to win their last game against Leeds to win the title (which they did). Liverpool went on to win 3-1 at already relegated Wolves about two weeks after the season was supposed to end.

45 years ago though so no one under 50 can surely hold a grudge now can they?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

I have nothing against their fans but I really dislike the small boutique trendy London clubs with rich owners. These lot, Palace, Watford etc, they exist solely as advertising brands for their billionaire owners and to get to the PL so their owners can skim money off of them. Plus it's annoying that many good players will choose to play for them because they're based in or close to London. Soulless, pointless clubs full of mercenary players who couldn't care less about the club they play for, they may hate us, but who cares, I'd much rater support our club than any of those lot. 

Sorry fella, I think you’re missing the point. Barring those few seasons in the 70’s, as much as they wouldn’t like to hear this as much as some on here, but QPR aren’t a million miles from us on the topical (of late) “pyramid”. Hey, even The Mike Bassett:England Manager film, where the manager came from us (if you’ve seen it)…it was written by a QPR fan, and rather than write his own  team into his story as his managers path, he picked a similar level/standing club…and that was that. Norwich City open top bus scenes (at least it didn’t break down eh?! As for “Boutique”, I don’t follow? There’s nothing Boutique about supporting QPR when Chelski are down the road…I reckon that shows strength, especially for the younger generations from QPR families at school in that area. We even have the same issues in Norfolk, but can you imagine how hard it is when its on your doorstep along with the peer group thing? Our main rivals a are long way away, plus, there’s no frequently transport to either Peterborough or Lincoln.

I remember Dions last home game before retirement when he tried a shot in the last 10 against QPR from the halfway line and it JUST went over…QPR fans clapped (we were smashing then at the time)… and at the whistle they clapped him again, as they did Hucks. Fair enough for me.

Norwich is my place of birth and where all my family come from and the football team from said region is all I know, and that’s even after moving to London at 8 years old…it just felt dirty going to “my mates” clubs. 43 year later I know NCFC more than I Norwich (twice a year I reckon which is sad), …but what I do know is not to have problems with the London clubs at our similar-ish level, we all know the business/”Brands” ones that have lost their souls…**** that lot, and fair [;ay to the QPR’s, Charlton’s, Millwall’s (eeek), and oooof, (this is hard!), Palarrse Eaglets…they’re trying to get some light in the shadows.

Anyway, lets stuff ‘em tomorrow and get that title…so I can royally give it large! OTBC 🔰

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I was there, it was a great match. A good QPR team as well.

I did remember the 10,000 being quoted,  I wouldn’t have thought the Barclay away end would hold that many, it would mean 20,000 in the Barclay alone if it could. You could see from the clip that there were one or two in the River End.