cambridgeshire canary

Gibson stretchered off- Serious injury

2 hours ago, vlad666 said:

Can famewo be recalled? 

No! Loans can now only be recalled during the January transfer window and even then only if there is a prior agreement in place allowing for such an eventuality.

• Thanks 1

**** me.

No-one has any idea. Let’s all just calm down and wait to see what the qualified people who actually have the injury in front of them say.

• Like 1

Zimmerman can do a perfectly good job for us, and we've got Tettey and Sorensen who are capable of playing there if absolutely necessary. We will be okay. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Pretty sure ligament injuries are the career enders? 

Ashton and Notman for a start? 

Bones simply heal don't they? 

Sometimes, sometimes not. No binary answer to this one yet. Its a wait and see job.

Losing Gibson would indeed be a big loss, however, even if Swansea win their game in hand we will be 11 points ahead of third place. I'm sure Zim and co will have enough ability to "scrape" us over the line. Nonetheless, here's hoping it looked worse than it is and he recovers soon, he's been an exceptional player for us this season.

• Like 1

Zimmerman was one of the standout players during our last run to the championship title.  With a run of games, hopefully he can capture that form again!

IF it comes to that it's a great opportunity for Zimmermann to show he's worthy of being back-up, or better in the Premier League.

He's had relatively few games since his injury so he will relish this opportunity I'm sure. 

We have good cover with Zimbo and nowt to fret over.

16 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

What would be the 'at worst', the foot falling off completely? 

I hope due diligence has been carried out, and that Hoppe guy we're supposedly interested in isn't suffering from such a condition! 🙄

Michael Bailey on The Athletic:

"The 28-year-old will have a scan today to make an initial assessment of the damage to his ankle ligaments, suffered as he tried to force a half-cleared corner back on goal. Norwich’s medical staff were able to check over the injury once he got back to the dressing room, and were happy Gibson had not suffered a break. On another day he may have not been so lucky.

Although it was Gibson’s right foot that got stuck and rolled inwards, which could cause damage to lateral ligaments on the outside of the joint, there could be little finger-pointing at a pitch that has visibly recovered in recent weeks after a more difficult winter period.

An injury of that nature should avoid the complications that can come when damaging medial ligaments on the inside of an ankle, which happens when rolling the joint outwards. In those instances, the rehab requires care given the return to kicking a ball requires force in the same direction as the injury.

However, in reality, the severity of any damaged ligaments and mechanisms in the area will be the primary influence on whether surgery is required and how long Gibson now spends on the sidelines. Both club and player are aware the worst-case scenario could be about three months, which would take any potential rehabilitation deep into June: well before the start of pre-season but also long beyond the remaining seven weeks of the current campaign."

I feel better about the injury after reading that.

12 minutes ago, Icecream Snow said:

Sound's like he's out for the season 😞

Let's hope Zimmerman is up for the challenge.. And god help us if he or Hanley get's injured

giphy.gif

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

Never a good time to lose a player who has been outstanding, but thankfully a plus side is that he should be back in time to get a full pre-season under his belt for hopefully a top flight season. Time for big Zimmerman to step in and show the form that we saw in the 2018-19 season and why many of us were missing him last season so much, he is Mr Dependable and he's got 2 weeks to get his head ready for the remainder of the season. 3 wins, 3 wins and then we should hopefully be able to start wrapping our key players in a little more cottonwool with earlier substitutions. A chance to start giving Sorrenson, Mumba, Hugill, Dowell, Placeheta and Hernandez some proper game time ready for next year and a break for those with a busy summer ahead of them.

35 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

FFS !! All this pantwetting.

We need eight points from eight games to get to 91 which has always guaranteed automatic promotion. Only on one occasion did a team on 90 points finish third.

There haven't been many seasons played during a global pandemic where half the midtable teams either safe from relegation or miles away from the play-offs are probably on the beach already meaning the top teams might pick up more points than normal. Can't take anything for granted, we need to still go out to win as many as we can.

Agree on the pant wetting though, Zimbo is more than capable

Edited by AJ

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

There haven't been many seasons played during a global pandemic where half the midtable teams either safe from relegation or miles away from the play-offs are probably on the beach already meaning the top teams might pick up more points than normal. Can't take anything for granted, we need to still go out to win as many as we can.

Agree on the pant wetting though, Zimbo is more than capable

And yet...

Probably the only truly midtable/ nothing to play for team we have played in the last 10 games, is Blackburn , who played as well against us as most . Blackburn stopped us playing, through effort. 

Funny old season . 

• Like 1

The angle of his ankle looked horrific so it's not surprising he'll be out the rest of the season.

I think it also means we now need a minimum of 2 x CBs coming in for next season as we simply cannot risk just the 3 in Hanley, Gibson and Zimmerman who between them have now had serious injuries.

Really hope we think hard about allowing Hanley on international duty. 

Has there actually been an official word on this yet? Rumours swirling that his season is done but haven't heard anything official as far as I am aware?

13 minutes ago, AJ said:

Has there actually been an official word on this yet? Rumours swirling that his season is done but haven't heard anything official as far as I am aware?

His season is done any which way, with the limited time left in the season. No official word yet if it needs surgery as there was too much swelling.

34 minutes ago, AJ said:

Only 7 weeks left of the season, he’s probably got a 3 month-er (especially with surgery if that’s happening). I’m just glad that’s the rumour and it’s not going to be 6 months or something crazy. They can just accept he’s out now, no rush and get him perfect in time for preseason 

• Like 1

I'm hoping and praying that Zimmerman and Hanley will see us through to promotion.

But my bigger concern is what if it ended up being a career ending injury? If we are promoted we might have to pay c£8m for a player who isnt fit to play for ages or ever at this level.

Obviously I hope that isnt the case for us or Gibson, but it's a bit of a risk and typical of our 'premier league' luck.

There is never a good time for a key player to have a bad injury and I wish him a quick recovery. The only possible plus is that with the timing and the end of the season being 7 weeks away we don't have to risk rushing him back or sending him back into the melting pot of a promotion tail end, instead we can (as a club) completely chalk him off and now focus on a slow and full recovery in time for day 1 of Preseason. 

Lets remember that Zimmerman was excellent for us in 18/19 and he will have Skipp infront as a screen, a luxury not had in previous seasons. I think also he knows he will be playing for his right to be involved next season so there will be the added motivation to step up and show that he can be a competitive CB in the group, especially as its a likely area to see us add to! 

Edited by birchfest
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Yup, out for the rest of the season just when we need him most.

Now, if Zimmerman or Hanley get injured..

You do realise that even mentioning this possibility is enough to get you a life-ban from the site.