cambridgeshire canary

Many on social media dislike us- How do we avoid relegation?

Oh - it’s just football fans being idiots. They are either seriously and chronically ignorant of how football is for 80% of clubs, because their club has been in the PL bubble so long & they have no interest in life down here....

..., or they’re simply being facetious because they do know, but right now their bankrolled club happens to be on the upside of a cycle. 

Thing is if  you have ever confronted any of these people with the realities, face to face, you’ll know it’s not long before they press eject from the argument. They just resort to nonsense based on kit colours, historical trophies, halftime tv clips, anything but the point in hand. That’s because most PL clubs’ fans are ( or turn into upon promotion) entitled, sheltered, arrogant ‘elite’ football consumers

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

We spent about £10 million last time. We're already committed to spending £14 million on Gibson and Gianoullis if we go up. 

I’d hope the Lewis sale might cover that and maybe Ben’s departure the Covid shortfall. 

30 minutes ago, yellowrider120 said:

Quite why some people seem to instantly recoil when they see / hear old man Holloway is beyond me as he always comes across as a very knowledgeable pundit and a character. In addition he has frequently been positive about NCFC in the past. As he says ....'its just like watching Brazil' 

For me, watching Holloway, it's just like watching Alan Brazil.

I still recall the look of horror,  fascination, and envy when I momentarily locked gaze with a fresh-faced Chelseaite. He was staring at us, a joyous rabble as we filed out of Stamford Bridge in our first PL season with PL, singing and chanting, in complete  contrast to the silent, overpaying, Sky-generation blue zombies trudging in the home fans’ channel. I think we’d drawn 3-3 or something.

2 minutes ago, Krul Mistress said:

I really like Holloway but that is funny

2 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seeing as around 90 percent of the comments on any news artcile or post about Norwich right now tend to be 'pointless yo-yo club going up to finish bottom and get relegated again waste of a prem spot' (200 likes) How exactly do you think we can sort out our issues?

Thankfuly this season our defence has been seriously improved, with Gibson and Hanley both proving to be a fantastic pair and Skipp providing a very solid rock in the middle. However, do we think they are both good enough for the Prem? And of course- Chances are Skipp is leaving.

All in all- How do you think we can go about stopping our current 'reputation' with the general public, what issues do we have that we will need to sort out in the tougher divison?

By ignoring it completely. 

After watching the game last night I was left thinking that we seemed stronger without Emi but still managed to create good chances. I hope we can keep him though.....

20 minutes ago, GenerationA47 said:

I still recall the look of horror,  fascination, and envy when I momentarily locked gaze with a fresh-faced Chelseaite. He was staring at us, a joyous rabble as we filed out of Stamford Bridge in our first PL season with PL, singing and chanting, in complete  contrast to the silent, overpaying, Sky-generation blue zombies trudging in the home fans’ channel. I think we’d drawn 3-3 or something.

Hadn’t we lost 3.1 after Holt equalised?

1 hour ago, TIL 1010 said:

Christ on a bike a thread about footbal and how we are perceived on social media turned into a political game of ping pong. Have a word with yourselves chaps for goodness sake.

May be an image of one or more people and text that says "AstraZeneca Under Fire After 1 Of The 17 Million Recipients Gets Hit By Bus After Second Jab"

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, First Wazzock said:

May be an image of one or more people and text that says "AstraZeneca Under Fire After 1 Of The 17 Million Recipients Gets Hit By Bus After Second Jab"

Yeah! but what you don't point out is the bus driver had also just had the AZ jab and collapsed at the wheel

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Midlands Yellow said:

I’d hope the Lewis sale might cover that and maybe Ben’s departure the Covid shortfall. 

Hard to know the exact position, but I would imagine, that like last time, there will be a £10 million (ish) bonus pool to be shared out amongst the players for getting promotion. We won't have to repay £6.5 million for the Colney bond this time around though.

My fag packet accounting guestimates that we may have £30 million to spend on incoming transfers (before taking into account anything we may make from sales).  As I've said before - a very big amount by our standards and absolute chicken feed by the standards of the rest of the Premier League.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

Hard to know the exact position, but I would imagine, that like last time, there will be a £10 million (ish) bonus pool to be shared out amongst the players for getting promotion. We won't have to repay £6.5 million for the Colney bond this time around though.

My fag packet accounting guestimates that we may have £30 million to spend on incoming transfers (before taking into account anything we may make from sales).  As I've said before - a very big amount by our standards and absolute chicken feed by the standards of the rest of the Premier League.

That would give us a very decent chance of being competitive next season. If Emi and Cantwell can be tempted to stay (with clauses in contracts) I’d back to stay up comfortably. 

2 hours ago, Crafty Canary said:

You are like the EU - how dare we have left that corrupt and incompetent organisation. You must be rubbing your hands with glee at the thought they might try to ban vaccine exports contravening legally binding contracts to supply.

In regards to the death rate you should remember that deaths are treated as covid - 19 related if they occur within 28 days of a positive covid -19 test. This is not the same as saying that the deaths ate actually due to covid - 19. You died of covid if you get run over by a bus within 28 days of a positive test.

Are international death rates all reported on an equivalent basis? If not comparisons are meaningless.

And thanks to the EU we may not be getting back in Carrow Rd anytime soon unless U50s can get vaccinated.

2 hours ago, JF said:

Excess deaths in the home were also up last year, those people were not dying from covid but the response to covid. People who’s treatment was delayed and people who didn’t seek the medical help that was needed. Everything isn’t just covid, irrelevant of what some people think. 

This all points to bad mismanagement of this crisis by our government though.

23 minutes ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

My understanding (granted, largely based on reading a random collection of stuff on the internet) is that wages are the crucial measure though, not transfer fees? We could be offered Messi for £10 but wouldn't be able to afford him because of his wages, or could buy Bale for £50 million if he didn't want  to be paid.

2 hours ago, JF said:

I’ll tell you what my experience is in this area is and you’re wrong. Father in law died from the terminal cancer he was diagnosed with in the exact time scale he was given. Tested positive for  covid in hospital after being there for 3 weeks  at the end of his life but had no symptoms. He’s very wrongly a covid statistic and this has happened up an down the country by accounts from those who’s relatives have died in similar circumstances 

I know I said I wouldn't reply, but i think it's important to make a more general point, this is not about Brexit.

Personal experience, no matter how significant to an individual, is statistically evidence of *nothing*. In a big enough sample, there will always be outliers or exceptions to the rule.

Hearsay is little better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Krul Mistress said:

Noooooooo..............you can't possibly have a TV screen big enough for that 🤣

• Haha 1

My friends (and some family) include supporters of Burnley, Wolves, Sunderland, Leeds, Rangers, Newcastle, Swindon, Liverpool, Berwick, Aberdeen, Carlisle, Orient, Manchester City and no doubt others I can’t immediately recall. There is of course banter with them, but all like and respect our club, enjoying seeing us do well. None attack us and many openly wish their clubs had owners and a plan like ours.

Never mind the on-line critics, just enjoy life in real world.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

My understanding (granted, largely based on reading a random collection of stuff on the internet) is that wages are the crucial measure though, not transfer fees? We could be offered Messi for £10 but wouldn't be able to afford him because of his wages, or could buy Bale for £50 million if he didn't want  to be paid.

There is a better correlation between the wages a team pays and their success than there is between the transfer fees a team pays and their success. 

However, in most cases you aren't going to be in a position to pay a players decent wages unless you splash out a transfer fee to get them in the first place. Obviously players at the end of their contracts at the club they're at who aren't going to sign a new one are the exceptions to this. The reality of course is that Premier League standard players are usually going to cost a lot to acquire whatever the individual balance of transfer fee/wages is. 

4 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Hadn’t we lost 3.1 after Holt equalised?

Probably! maybe mixed it up with the Arsenal 3-3 (Morison & Wilbraham iirc). 

just remember us being happier than the home clones, at the time

The question to ask is, if we didn't have social media, who would give a monkeys? No-one because we wouldn't know. All that matters is our own opinion and the pleasure we draw from supporting our team and the rollercoaster they serve us up. Nothing more, nothing less.

In short, f u c k 'em - I don't care.

Everyone’s entitled to their own views, and we can still prove them wrong - who thought we were going to finish mid-table when we got promoted under Lambert and spend 3 seasons in the top flight?

Just because we were very poor last time round doesn’t mean we’re going to be poor again. The last time we went up we had a major lack of PL experience in the squad, and we were unable to spend much on new signings due to current debts. If we go up again this season hopefully we’ll be able to spend a bit more on new signings, and there will also be more PL experience amongst the squad.

We’ll have to wait and see how we do though, we might go down or we might survive 

6 hours ago, Haus said:

If we can hold on to Max, Emi and Todd I think we can have a good shot at staying up. Our defence is better than it was on our last attempt, our players are a bit less naive to what they need to do to win.  

If we get another year of Skipp that helps too.

And someone needs to really claim that number 10 spot.

100%

I also hope the club can convince Farke and Webber to stay for another five years.

• Like 1

These people don’t mean šhit to us.  They will see like we do that we are the dog danglers as a club. I will thoroughly admit here and now that whilst there are may things I feel we could improve at the club and investment is high on that list. I was wrong about Mr Farke. He has turned us in to an even better side than we were in the last championship campaign IMO. We defend to a man we are tight our passing is top draw and whilst we maybe haven’t scored so many I actually thing our victories have been much more convincing and controlled.

Bloôdy well do Mr F and the board. We have shown a determination to hang on to the players we wanted to and look where we are. Hands up I for one am eating some humble pie. And loving it.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

These people don’t mean šhit to us.  They will see like we do that we are the dog danglers as a club. I will thoroughly admit here and now that whilst there are may things I feel we could improve at the club and investment is high on that list. I was wrong about Mr Farke. He has turned us in to an even better side than we were in the last championship campaign IMO. We defend to a man we are tight our passing is top draw and whilst we maybe haven’t scored so many I actually thing our victories have been much more convincing and controlled.

Bloôdy well do Mr F and the board. We have shown a determination to hang on to the players we wanted to and look where we are. Hands up I for one am eating some humble pie. And loving it.

Good post

12 minutes ago, Hardhouse44 said:

Fair play, fella, fair play. Can't issue any more likes today, unfortunately.

7 hours ago, pete said:

All those countries not willing to use the UK developed Astra Zeneca why don't they use the one developed by the French or Germans,  supply not a problem then.  Oh no I forgot they haven't bothered to invest in a developing a vaccine to save the world.

Germany developed the Pfizer vaccine.

I hope that we are more successful next year if in the premiership and we give Farke the tools he needs to have a fighting chance of staying up.

Looks like we will need at least a replacement for Max and Skipp plus a quality addition to help Pukki. Keeping Emi I believe is also key to any chance we have of getting rid of the yo-yo tag...

8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seeing as around 90 percent of the comments on any news artcile or post about Norwich right now tend to be 'pointless yo-yo club going up to finish bottom and get relegated again waste of a prem spot' (200 likes) How exactly do you think we can sort out our issues?

Thankfuly this season our defence has been seriously improved, with Gibson and Hanley both proving to be a fantastic pair and Skipp providing a very solid rock in the middle. However, do we think they are both good enough for the Prem? And of course- Chances are Skipp is leaving.

All in all- How do you think we can go about stopping our current 'reputation' with the general public, what issues do we have that we will need to sort out in the tougher divison?

When people try to knock you down it is because you are doing something right. They are jealous thats all.

On talk sport tonight they were saying what an incredible season we are having. 

For me our chances of survival next season will be that much better if we can keep Skipp. As Mullet says he provides a very solid rock in front of the defence and has the pace and energy to quickly recover and defend any gaps. He is very strong in the tackle. He must mainly be employed in a defensive role so we will need a more attacking midfielder by his side. It has been  suggested that Spurs might entertain a swap involving Max Aarons. Personally I would regard that as a great piece of business !!

11 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

I would merely respond to comments like that by asking if they would rather watch us or Burnley. 

As for our defence improving, I suggest you wait to play a Premier League team before drawing that concusion. The gap between the two divisions is now enormous. 

• Like 1