dylanisabaddog

£25m for Cantwell

Leeds are apparently a bit shocked about being quoted £25m for TC. Even the fact that Dylan was prepared to risk Covid and drive him to Leeds as part of the price didn't help and they're prepared to wait till January when they think he will be cheaper. 

Sounds fair enough to me. Especially considering his stats in the Premiership last year.

He is a promising player, but not much track record yet. I can understand and agree with our valuation, that said if it was the other way around i really would not fancy splashing out £25m on him

• Like 2

It seems a very high figure in comparison to others, but I'm very glad he'll be staying and hope he tears the league up.

You can certainly see it from both our side and Leeds - but he’s our player so we (technically) hold sway, for now.  Hopefully he stays as do Max/Emi and he and we find our form - we stand a much better chance of keeping players/attracting replacements in January if we are going well.

It’s always happened and this dinosaur white noise coming out of Yorkshire is pretty crude head turning and tapping up isn’t it? Predictably classless, though of course they’ll just deny it’s them starting it. Don’t care what the two clubs’ views are on his valuation, if it happens now or in the future I’m pretty sure it’s Mr Webber’s numbers which will end up nearest to any deal and the more public the manoeuvres the more likely it is that that will be the case. Football’s back soon, let's just get on with it - for sure the club’s future doesn’t turn on any one player, or any five players come to that. OTBC.

• Like 1

Pleased it shows we are far from desperate to sell. In fact, it’s a clear message that it’s very much the opposite. All this business will be good for Todd in time, a learning curve in his career and will certainly help shape him as both a man and player. A great opportunity for this experience to become a positive for him in the long run I feel, and I think he’ll bounce back in style.

He did well in the Premier League last season, and many a player has joined the PL for far more than £25mil and turned out sh1te. So he’s worth that for me. Nice try by Leeds to unsettle him and get him on the cheap. I wouldn’t expect anything less from them to be honest. But this time it looks like they messed with the wrong club.

• Confused 1

I don’t understand how we’ve valued him at similar to Godfrey. We sold him on the cheap. 

9 minutes ago, CUSDP said:

I don’t understand how we’ve valued him at similar to Godfrey. We sold him on the cheap. 

Goalscorers and creators always fetch more than defenders so it makes sense to me.

Dortmund paid similar for Bellingham who had never kicked a ball above the Championship so it seems fair to me.

• Like 2

I think it's an indicator that Leeds won't get him with a bid near £10m, but if it's near £20m Todd will be gone. I just can't see us turning down that sort of money for a want away player.

Hi all, first time post but a follower of NFC since I lived in Sprowston as a nipper 62 years ago.

Just wanted to say hello, and hope to get involved in the discussions ongoing 😀

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, king canary said:

Goalscorers and creators always fetch more than defenders so it makes sense to me.

Dortmund paid similar for Bellingham who had never kicked a ball above the Championship so it seems fair to me.

Yeah agreed. I thought by now it would be clear to everyone the increase in fees when attacking players are involved.

Equally, Godfrey could raise to 30m. Every possibility we would take 18-20m with addons to 25 for Todd.

12 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Yeah agreed. I thought by now it would be clear to everyone the increase in fees when attacking players are involved.

Equally, Godfrey could raise to 30m. Every possibility we would take 18-20m with addons to 25 for Todd.

yes Hogesar i think that is more likely say 18 million plus add-ons taking it to 25 mil 

he is No where Maddison class and i can not see him getting to that level so 18 mill is fine for me 

2 minutes ago, norfolkngood said:

yes Hogesar i think that is more likely say 18 million plus add-ons taking it to 25 mil 

he is No where Maddison class and i can not see him getting to that level so 18 mill is fine for me 

Quite a different player to Maddison but last season they got roughly the same amount of goals and assists.

The other factor that must be considered is that by January Todd will be into the last 18 months of his contract. If he has indicated he's not interested in discussing a new one (and obviously I don't know either way), it definitely makes sense to cash in now rather than letting him play himself into form and then leave a Todd-shaped hole in January. Wouldn't want to lose Emi and Todd in the same window, and there's every chance that someone will come in for Emi in January.

13 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Quite a different player to Maddison but last season they got roughly the same amount of goals and assists.

One is worth around £20m and the other 4/5 times that though. 

11 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

One is worth around £20m and the other 4/5 times that though. 

Maddison isn't worth 80m but I get your general point.

34 minutes ago, hogesar said:

Maddison isn't worth 80m but I get your general point.

That’s what they got for Harry, I think they’d want even more for Maddison. 

1 hour ago, kinggoblin said:

Hi all, first time post but a follower of NFC since I lived in Sprowston as a nipper 62 years ago.

Just wanted to say hello, and hope to get involved in the discussions ongoing 😀

Welcome kinggoblin. I was a nipper in Sprowston about the same time as you.

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

They might want more. They wouldn't get it at this stage.

Eze to Palace is a comparable deal for a similar player, reported £19.5m. Any deal would need to be in that area. Rhian Brewster £23.5. I don't see that the asking price is too unreasonable. You don't start a negotiation with, 'well the least we could accept is...'

• Like 1

I would think can'twells value has dropped , bad trainer , bad attitude , , very talented though but it becomes more of a risk because of these things.

Cantwell is a talent, capable of the odd match winning moment and good enough for the Premier League, mid-table or bottom half. 

But that's about as far as I'd go really, he isn't a special talent, a once in a generation Norwich player, he could be here three more years and be the nicest most down to earth fella in the world and he still wouldn't be remembered like Huckerby or Eadie, or even Bellamy.

If the fee is right just sell, and I wouldn't be gutted if that was £15m rising to £20m the same as Jamal Lewis, considering his contract expires in 19/20 months.

He's not irreplaceable.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thumbbass said:

Eze to Palace is a comparable deal for a similar player, reported £19.5m. Any deal would need to be in that area.

Why didn't Palace move for Cantwell then? 

Probably because Eze is stronger, doesn't blow over in a light gale, more of a team worker and isn't distracted by social media? 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

2 hours ago, Midlands Yellow said:

They might 'want' more for Maddison, but the reality is that if one of the big clubs happen to want a young talented homegrown playmaker, I'd suggest that the value of Maddison is about £10m less than whatever Aston Villa want for Jack Grealish.

What would you value Jack Grealish at?

Remember that Jadon Sancho, a 20 year old with 14 England caps has an asking price of £108m and wouldn't take up a spot in a 25 due to his age. You can start by working backwards from that. James Maddison is 24 next month, has 1 England cap. 

They sold Mahrez for £60m two years ago, after he won PFA players and PFA Fans player of the year when lifting the Premier League title. Even allowing for transfer fee inflation since then, I bet Leicester would accept that for Maddison. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

Just now, TeemuVanBasten said:

They might 'want' more for Maddison, but the reality is that if one of the big clubs happen to want a young talented homegrown playmaker, I'd suggest that the value of Maddison is about £10m less than whatever Aston Villa want for Jack Grealish.

What would you value Jack Grealish at?

Remember that Jadon Sancho, a 20 year old with 14 England caps has an asking price of £108m and wouldn't take up a spot in a 25 due to his age. You can start by working backwards from that. James Maddison is 24 next month, has 1 England cap. 

Good question and comparison. Grealish is certainly looking the real deal now and was very good last season. If Villa were offered £80m I doubt very much they’d be interested in selling.