TeemuVanBasten

if we don't sign a centre back

2 minutes ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

Tettey is viewed as the cover. He’s not great, but he’s not the worst.

Indeed, and people can’t really compare him playing there last season to this as the standard of opposition is considerably different. 

The manager wanted another CB in but it didn’t happen and we have what we have until January, not really sure why old ground is being raked over again and again to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I'm going to disagree. If you sign a player for a position and are then forced into using him in another position which isn't his best one, then it is arguably a 'lose-lose' situation. You're having to put a square peg into a round hole whilst depriving yourself of said player in his main one- a bit like Amadou and Tettey last season when they were in defence and we needed them in midfield.

It's not "square peg in a round hole" - he is known to be able to play well at CB....some footballers can play anywhere on the pitch with almost equal ability.  And we don't need him in midfield at the moment, as there is plenty going on there already.

4 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Indeed, and people can’t really compare him playing there last season to this as the standard of opposition is considerably different. 

The manager wanted another CB in but it didn’t happen and we have what we have until January, not really sure why old ground is being raked over again and again to be honest. 

I don’t mind Tettey as fourth choice in the champs. Zimmermann is meant to be fit soon, isn’t he?

1 minute ago, Dr Greenthumb said:

I don’t mind Tettey as fourth choice in the champs. Zimmermann is meant to be fit soon, isn’t he?

You realise that last season we had to use Tettey and Amadou at centre back despite us having 4 centre backs though don't you? In a season with fewer fixtures and much less fixture congestion. 

So perhaps the real worry here should be who our 5th and 6th choice are. 

11 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

You realise that last season we had to use Tettey and Amadou at centre back despite us having 4 centre backs though don't you? In a season with fewer fixtures and much less fixture congestion. 

So perhaps the real worry here should be who our 5th and 6th choice are. 

Klose was already injured wouldn’t play, he had a long term injury so we went in with 3 CB and Hanley got injured.

But we do have cover and three CB who will all be fit soon.

Edited by Indy

18 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's not "square peg in a round hole" - he is known to be able to play well at CB....

That's your opinion - not evidence. King said he's played at CB once in 2020. 

And yes a player playing in his non-normal position is the very definition of a 'square peg in a round hole'.

If he's as good at playing CB as you think he is, he would be first choice, not fifth.

OTBC

I love Tettey so much I'd happily have his babies (if that were biologically possible) but if he's our fourth choice for CB when the first three have all had their injury problems then you know something hasn't gone quite to plan.

OTBC

• Like 2

Just now, Disco Dales Jockstrap said:
22 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's not "square peg in a round hole" - he is known to be able to play well at CB....

And yes a player playing in his non-normal position is the very definition of a 'square peg in a round hole'.

If a player is versatile enough, he can play anywhere. People like to pigeon hole players too much - imo - as if they can't play in other positions with equal ability - some players can do well wherever they are put in a team.

We have 3 x CB's, with Tettey & Sorensen who can play there if needs must. There's also Andrew Omobamidele if we're completely thin on the ground.

That will get us through to Jan when I expect Farke may well try again to strengthen, but we'll also be in the position to recall Bushiri &/or Famewo.

Farke has shown he'll play players in their non primary position if he has to

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

If a player is versatile enough, he can play anywhere. People like to pigeon hole players too much - imo - as if they can't play in other positions with equal ability - some players can do well wherever they are put in a team.

McGovern at CB?

OTBC

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Yeah.....whatever 🤦‍♂️

54 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

....if he was called upon to be CB for a while, then at least he would be getting some game time, because as things are at the moment, he might not get in the team in his favoured position for quite a while.

McGovern at CB?

OTBC

38 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

It's not "square peg in a round hole" - he is known to be able to play well at CB....some footballers can play anywhere on the pitch with almost equal ability.  And we don't need him in midfield at the moment, as there is plenty going on there already.

Sorensen is a midfielder. He has said it, the club have said it, and Farke has too according to Sorensen.

Can Sorensen play well at centre back? We were told that Amadou could play there and we were told that Rupp could play on the wing. None of us have ever seen Sorensen play a competitive game, so it's tough to judge him on the fact that he has played a couple of games at centre back during his career.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Really not sure why Hogesar picked this particular battle, his argument was lost the moment Farke told the press publicly that he wanted us to sign a centre back.

It's not a battle. I'm just wondering because you were pretty adament you wanted Farke and Webber out (soon changed to just Webber, if I recall); yet nothing since? I just wondered if you're still wanting Webber and / or Farke out?

9 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I just wondered if you're still wanting Webber and / or Farke out?

Oh right, so this was a direct question to me then was it?

2 hours ago, hogesar said:

So, do we start campaigning for Webber out now...or do we wait for Zimmerman to be out for the season?!

Perhaps could have made that clearer if you'd quoted me so I'd receive a notification. 

As for centre back. I think we are only one or two players from being almost unbeatable. Another quality centre back to go with Gibson. Hanley frightens me sometimes. Move Sorensen to holding midfielder where I think he will be a star. Another left back to compete with Quintilla. Although hugill has come in and will be helpful in some games I just don't think he suits us. Wouldn't mind seeing another speed merchant or two. The future is bright

2 hours ago, canarycop said:

As for centre back. I think we are only one or two players from being almost unbeatable. Another quality centre back to go with Gibson. Hanley frightens me sometimes. Move Sorensen to holding midfielder where I think he will be a star. Another left back to compete with Quintilla. Although hugill has come in and will be helpful in some games I just don't think he suits us. Wouldn't mind seeing another speed merchant or two. The future is bright

Just get McCallum and Famewo back in January. If we get promoted then that's time to invest some proper money in a Godfrey replacement. 

Sorenson a DM who can play CB where he plays for Denmark the next Ben Godfrey.  Until Famewo comes back in January if fit Jacob will do as 4th CB.  Unless Farke needs him as LB whatever has proved to be versatile.  Farke got lucky we have our 4th cb.  

Interestingly, The Pink’un in their report about Lungi the other day, said that he’s actually played almost exclusively as a CB for the Danish U21’s.

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Just get McCallum and Famewo back in January. If we get promoted then that's time to invest some proper money in a Godfrey replacement. 

McCallum isn't up to it yet. 

If you're basing your opinion on his goal this week, then ask yourself why he had to come on near the end of the game as a sub.

3 hours ago, canarycop said:

We've gifted chance after chance to each team we've played so far, it's been luck and very good goalkeeping that's stopped us from being mid table. 

12 minutes ago, Number9 said:

We've gifted chance after chance to each team we've played so far, it's been luck and very good goalkeeping that's stopped us from being mid table. 

Four wins and a draw, I think I’ll take those “ lucky “ performances 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Four wins and a draw, I think I’ll take those “ lucky “ performances 

We'll take it, thankfully, but we'd be fools not to acknowledge how we still let the opposition have simple chances.

I'm just being honest and realistic. It's something which should have been addressed previously, game management, when you're leading in a game you don't have to send all ten outfield players up the pitch to get a third or fourth. 

I’m not convinced with the rupp and skipp partnership. Very similar players. Hopefully lungi can make one of those places his. 

2 hours ago, Number9 said:

We'll take it, thankfully, but we'd be fools not to acknowledge how we still let the opposition have simple chances.

I'm just being honest and realistic. It's something which should have been addressed previously, game management, when you're leading in a game you don't have to send all ten outfield players up the pitch to get a third or fourth.

Are you even a City fan?

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

And if it wasn’t for good goalkeeping by our opposition, we would have, for one example, beaten Derby. That’s not the only game where we saw some superb saves from our shots.

Edited by Nuff Said