TeemuVanBasten

if we don't sign a centre back

And I see Tettey starting at centre back at any stage this season.

Then that's me done with Webber and Farke. 

Michael Bailey seems to think that we won't be bringing anybody else in. What has his record on this stuff been like since he joined the Athletic? 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Will you boo them?

It would be pretty ridiculous if we don’t get anyone in (we’ve lost two first-team cb’s, remember, + several back ups) - but sadly nor would it be that big a surprise. 
Conceding far too many goals has been our Achilles heel for 2+ seasons, so IMO to weaken our defence and leave it short in numbers is slightly insane. 

I hope we get someone in but only if its going to be someone challenging for a first team place.

• Like 2

I'm also not sure why Farke would lose your support in that scenario.  He is presented with players recommended by Webber and Co but the decision on if we bring in another CB or not will ultimately be the recruitment team.

Well of course,  they’d be a first team challenger - there’s little point otherwise - but some depth would be useful as we’ve loaned it all out!  We have just started a 46-game season and are almost certain to have injuries at times - we can’t complain about injury crises if the lack of back up is largely self inflicted. Playing people out of position for more than the odd game shouldn’t be necessary.. 

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

It would be pretty ridiculous if we don’t get anyone in (we’ve lost two first-team cb’s, remember, + several back ups) - but sadly nor would it be that big a surprise. 
Conceding far too many goals has been our Achilles heel for 2+ seasons, so IMO to weaken our defence and leave it short in numbers is slightly insane. 

I'm not sure it is that straightforward.

We have lost Godfrey and brought in Gibson. Whilst arguments can be made about which is better, I do think it's fair to say that Gibson in the past has shown he is more than capable at this level. So a good replacement.

I like Timm Klose, I love his enthusiasm and his humour, a great character. But in all honesty, I don't think we have seen a solid season out of him since he became our most expensive defender. He was injured in that season too, missing the run in. Ironically, last season, he would have missed the lot but was fit for the run in. So I guess I am saying whilst we have lost him, are we really that much worse off than last season?

Now, I really do hope we get another CB in, I really do. And I really hope we are looking at it.

I suspect we will promote Omobamidele to the first team squad if Farke thinks he's good enough. If not, we'll get another one. Personally I would prefer the first option rather than loan a youngster for a huge fee and then be committed to playing them, or paying a fee for a permanent signing who probably won't play. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I'm also not sure why Farke would lose your support in that scenario.  He is presented with players recommended by Webber and Co but the decision on if we bring in another CB or not will ultimately be the recruitment team.

Fine, just Webber then. 

5 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

Personally I would prefer the first option rather than loan a youngster for a huge fee and then be committed to playing them, or paying a fee for a permanent signing who probably won't play. 

There is an inbetween. 

You can loan a player with an option to purchase at an agreed fee. Effectively making it a year long trial.

That's always preferable where possible, Aston Villa had the option of inserting a £13m purchase option for a slightly larger loan fee and refused. They then paid £26m for him after an excellent season.

Why would a centre back necessarily cost us a "huge fee" on a permanent though, there will never be more skint clubs than now, this is a buyers market. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 hour ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Michael Bailey seems to think that we won't be bringing anybody else in. What has his record on this stuff been like since he joined the Athletic? 

It's hard to judge at this stage because we haven't seen Sorenson or Omobamidele play. They might be more than capable of stepping up to the challenge.

It's about trust. Trusting Farke and Webber to do what's right for our club. They have seen them play and, if they think that it's best not to bring anyone in, then we have to support that decision.

It will be much later in the season when I judge Webber/Farke/the recruitment team's decision on this.

Remember:

- Denmark view Sorensen as a centre back.

- People were making similar complaints when we went into the season with Husband and the inexperienced Lewis as our left backs. 

The fact that we look to our youth team before we go and recruit elsewhere.

3 hours ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Well, I seem to think we will, so really that answers that question.

Omobamidele Omobamidele Omobamidele! 

Say it fast 3 times then spin around. 

8 hours ago, Yellow and Green said:

It's about trust. Trusting Farke and Webber to do what's right for our club. They have seen them play and, if they think that it's best not to bring anyone in, then we have to support that decision.

That is true but the decision making in January means I've lost a fair bit of trust when it comes to this.

12 minutes ago, king canary said:

That is true but the decision making in January means I've lost a fair bit of trust when it comes to this.

To be honest, although in the end it didn't help us, I'm happy they didn't do a repeat of the January under Alex Neil and go all guns blazing in desperation and bringing in players that cost a fortune and never really delivered for us.

Matt Jarvis (after a loan in which he had put in some good performances) - £2.5million
Ivo Pinto - £2.5million
Ben Godfrey - Undisclosed.
Timm Klose - £7.5-8million.
Stephen Naismith - £8million+.

That was after a summer in which we brought in:
Dorrans - £3million.
Mulumbu - free.
Brady - £7million.
Kean - free.

The most expensive Norwich City squad spending in a single season that I can remember. £25million or so. Plus wages. And really, only two of those signings proved worthy really. Godfrey (thanks to Farke) and Brady, who left the following January after relegation.

Sure I know we sold two players, Johnson for £7million and Grabban for £8million, but that still doesn't make the other signings any better. Especially when they came without relegation clauses and left us high and dry, needing to sell the likes of the Murphy's and Maddison. 

If Farke, a manager who has just developed two defenders from our youth team and sold them for a combined forty million **** smackarooneys - and Aarons is likely to add at least another twenty million to that score, thinks Sorensen and Omobamidele are knocking on the door, I trust his judgement. Not to mention that we should be able to haul Famewo and Bushiri back in January as well if push comes to shove and their performances merit a run in the first team when match fit as well.

EDIT: There was also a comment in the Athletic in an article on how Norwich prepare youngsters, saying that Omobamidele came back from lockdown a man. It looks like he's had a spurt and put some bulk on. In other words, they're surely thinking he may be physically ready.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, chicken said:

To be honest, although in the end it didn't help us, I'm happy they didn't do a repeat of the January under Alex Neil and go all guns blazing in desperation and bringing in players that cost a fortune and never really delivered for us.

Matt Jarvis (after a loan in which he had put in some good performances) - £2.5million
Ivo Pinto - £2.5million
Ben Godfrey - Undisclosed.
Timm Klose - £7.5-8million.
Stephen Naismith - £8million+.

That was after a summer in which we brought in:
Dorrans - £3million.
Mulumbu - free.
Brady - £7million.
Kean - free.

The most expensive Norwich City squad spending in a single season that I can remember. £25million or so. Plus wages. And really, only two of those signings proved worthy really. Godfrey (thanks to Farke) and Brady, who left the following January after relegation.

Sure I know we sold two players, Johnson for £7million and Grabban for £8million, but that still doesn't make the other signings any better. Especially when they came without relegation clauses and left us high and dry, needing to sell the likes of the Murphy's and Maddison. 

I'm not talking about spending, I'm talking about the decision making.

We had a defensive injury crisis in the first half of the season and then we let Amadou, Famewo and Heise all leave with no replacements, then seemed surprise when Hanley and Byram were ruled out leaving us with a half fit Klose having to jump straight into the side.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, king canary said:

We had a defensive injury crisis in the first half of the season and then we let Amadou, Famewo and Heise all leave with no replacements, then seemed surprise when Hanley and Byram were ruled out leaving us with a half fit Klose having to jump straight into the side.

I agree with this, and it's concerning if no lessons will be learnt.

As TVB said in the opening post, if we end up going into the season with just three centre backs (Zimmermann, Hanley and Gibson) and Tettey ends up having to cover, I'd probably lose nearly all the trust in Webber that has been built up over the past three years. If Omobamidele plays, fair enough: it means they think he's ready. But Tettey? It would just be negligent, in all honesty.

The same goes for if we don't sign a second left back and end seeing Stiepermann, Gibson, Rupp, Mumba or whoever else there.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I agree with this, and it's concerning if no lessons will be learnt.

As TVB said in the opening post, if we end up going into the season with just three centre backs (Zimmermann, Hanley and Gibson) and Tettey ends up having to cover, I'd probably lose nearly all the trust in Webber that has been built up over the past three years. If Omobamidele plays, fair enough: it means they think he's ready. But Tettey? It would just be negligent, in all honesty.

The same goes for if we don't sign a second left back and end seeing Stiepermann, Gibson, Rupp, Mumba or whoever else there.

I said on another thread that if they don't they are taking are huge gamble- doesn't mean it's wrong and it may pay of handsomely if Omobamidele steps up or Mumba proves to be capable at left back. Just personally, for me, the risks far outweigh the financial benefits. 

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Well, I seem to think we will, so really that answers that question.

Should we then be done with Michael Bailey then? 

35 minutes ago, king canary said:

Sort of. Klose came into the side after the suspension of all football for lockdown and project restart. If it wasn't for project restart we would have seen out the rest of the season without him. I think I'm right in saying that Zimmerman was fit but injured on the commencement of project restart which is why Klose came into the games.

I don't disagree with your sentiment as I misread what you were meaning. I'm still happy though, that we didn't make a signing in desperation that cost over the odds and would have impacted our long term future, which is what we have done in the past.

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

I said on another thread that if they don't they are taking are huge gamble- doesn't mean it's wrong and it may pay of handsomely if Omobamidele steps up or Mumba proves to be capable at left back. Just personally, for me, the risks far outweigh the financial benefits. 

Mumba is our right back cover.

So again, one player to provide cover for two positions?

Its not much to ask that we have two players for each place on the pitch, its a squad of 24.

We've managed to have a squad of 29 players but still be one defender short and go into the season with one player who you are now mooting as our cover for two positions.

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

He has been surprised a couple of times and whilst he does quite often have some inside information, we do know that Webber has caught journo's by surprise with signings before now.

Only time will tell for sure. No point trusting to heavily on any source or getting anywhere close to wound up about it IMHO.

3 minutes ago, chicken said:

Sort of. Klose came into the side after the suspension of all football for lockdown and project restart. If it wasn't for project restart we would have seen out the rest of the season without him. I think I'm right in saying that Zimmerman was fit but injured on the commencement of project restart which is why Klose came into the games.

I don't disagree with your sentiment as I misread what you were meaning. I'm still happy though, that we didn't make a signing in desperation that cost over the odds and would have impacted our long term future, which is what we have done in the past.

Farke himself said that Klose would ideally have needed more time.

He was injured in late August and the timescale for recovery was 9-12 months. By coming back into the squad in late June/early July, he was at the earliest part of that range. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Farke himself said that Klose would ideally have needed more time.

He was injured in late August and the timescale for recovery was 9-12 months. By coming back into the squad in late June/early July, he was at the earliest part of that range. 

Which was my point. Thank you.

Though also, that was at the start of his recovery prediction. During the season he made good progress and Farke suggested he may be fit and able to be selected for the tail end of the season.

21 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

The only time Michael Bailey got it right was that one occasion when he lifted what I had posted here on the particular subject at issue lock stock and barrel and used it in his column...

Only joking. He is a good and reliable journalist. And I have no idea if we will get another centre-back, although I would very much imagine we want to.

28 minutes ago, chicken said:

Which was my point. Thank you.

Though also, that was at the start of his recovery prediction. During the season he made good progress and Farke suggested he may be fit and able to be selected for the tail end of the season.

The key point was we let two central defenders leave in January, thus forcing us to throw him straight back into a packed schedule where his lack of fitness was totally exposed.

38 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

Mumba is our right back cover.

So again, one player to provide cover for two positions?

Its not much to ask that we have two players for each place on the pitch, its a squad of 24.

We've managed to have a squad of 29 players but still be one defender short and go into the season with one player who you are now mooting as our cover for two positions.

I'm not sure there's that many perfectly balanced sides in this division as you're wanting us to be, although I say that without actually looking...

1 minute ago, hogesar said:

I'm not sure there's that many perfectly balanced sides in this division as you're wanting us to be, although I say that without actually looking...

The left back situation is a bit weird as we went into this window well overstocked (Lewis, Quintialla, McCallum, Heise) and now have just one left. 

Obviously Lewis wasn't really our choice and it makes sense to loan McCallum out rather than have him sit on the bench but it does almost sound a bit like we're relying on Byram getting and staying fit.