Sign in to follow this  
Iwans Big Toe

Underwhelming signing that turned out to be a legend

A twist on Daisy's thread. Who was the player that least excited you but turned out to be great business?

Steen Nedergaard for me.Had never heard of him, but a key part of Worthy's play off loosing side.

Would have to say none other than Teemu Pukki. Despite 2020 where he’s not been at his best, probably down to slight injury issues taking him off the boil, you would still have to say he’s been a remarkable bit of business on a free who has caused many a fantastic night under the Carrow Rd floodlights.

• Like 4

Dion Dublin. He was 37 when we signed him and hadn't done much for a few years, but was an absolute revelation and became a cult hero.

In recent times, maybe Christoph Zimmermann. Nobody expected him to captain us to promotion less than two years after joining us as a free agent from the German regional leagues.

Alex Tettey is another interesting one. I remember at the time we were being heavily linked with Lucas Biglia, a defensive midfielder who was already an Argentina international and was later picked up by Lazio before moving to Milan. Suddenly seeing us sign some bloke I'd never heard of from Rennes instead was very underwhelming, but here we are.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

The top by a distance! Ian Crook from Spurs for under £100,000. 

To be fair, that was about £60mil in today’s money, Midlands! 

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

To be fair, that was about £60mil in today’s money, Midlands! 

Don’t be silly! 11 years service here and playing in the best period of our history. What a player when he was on it. 

6 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

Don’t be silly! 11 years service here and playing in the best period of our history. What a player when he was on it. 

(I. was. joking.)

Great player for us indeed!

13 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

There were a few like that in that squad. Bowen was £90k, Culverhouse was £50k, Crook was £80k, Gunn cost £100k. Makes me laugh when you see people going on about premier league rejects. The first three of those were kicking their heals in the Spurs reserves at the time of their signing and Gunn couldn't get past Jim Leighton with Fergie as his manager. And boy how did they serve this club? Gave us some of our most memorable years.

Throw into that players that had come through our own youth and scouting systems like Fox, Goss, Eadie and Sutton.

• Like 3

Holt, and Pukki are two that immediately spring to mind. Add in Jerome though, remember when we signed him saying he was fine as a squad player but wouldn't want to see him starting games. He did pretty well for us.

• Like 1

Mathias Svensson for me. He was definitely an unsexy signing after the likes of Huxs and seeing he was replacing crouch. Had an ordinary record at Charlton. In fairness he didn't score a huge amount of goals but he did score BIG goals that earned us a lot of points. Scored several goals that won us games by one goal. Again, not the greatest signing we ever made but often when he did score, those goals were worth 3 points 

Edited by seanthecanary

Dublin is an excellent shout, and Pukki obviously.

But I'd go with Russell Martin. Signed on loan from Peterborough (who were a division above us at the time!) to no real fanfare, and went on to be a captain, leader, and international centre back.

I'd also chuck in Holty - but the Gary variety rather than the more obvious Grant. Signed for peanuts from Kilmarnock, and went on to give us five brilliant years, and all three lungs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thirsty Lizard said:

I was livid when we signed Gary Megson - he turned out to be a very good piece of business. 

Except when he became manager...

• Haha 1

Holt and Pukki are the obvious. But how about Max Aarons or Ben Godfrey? Nobody was over excited when they signed....in terms of older players already established- you would go a long way to beat Adam Drury

Has to be WFLGH, Crook was a bargain, as was Culverhouse, Bowen; Gunn turned out to be a legend. Many others. But then there have also been a lot of duffers in there who came with a big reputation who turned out to be pants!

Marc Edworthy.

I don't consider him a legend.

My memory may be a little hazy but he just kind of turned up just before the season started and was excellent in a promotion season.

Kevin Reeves. Initially on loan from Bournemouth then £50,000 to make it permanent.

Even he was surprised we'd come in for him!

Agree on Grant Holt. At the time worked with a part time Forest fan who didn’t rate him and an Orient supporter who knew his stuff (I know, Orient!) and had seen us play – he sniffily reckoned we had no cutting edge! Then saw footage of this animal ripping it up on a terrorising charge through midfield on a mudheap pitch somewhere and wondered if they were talking about the same player.

• Like 1

Paul Lambert, remember thinking " how uninspiring" we all know the rest. Ok so he wasn't a player for us but he has to be the best piece of business we've ever done. 

• Like 1

Trevor Hockey.

Most hated player coming to Carrow Road until he signed for us, then loved by us and hated by everyone else.