Sign in to follow this  
Mullet

Championship clubs wealth table

28 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

This is the second time I've seen Fulham listed in a piece about the championship 🤷‍♂️

Yeh a season too early!

3 minutes ago, KeiranShikari said:

It's almost as if owner wealth doesn't make a huge difference in this division.

It shouldn’t as the FFP should negate the wealth! 

Stinking rich owner at Sheffield Wednesday. Financial irregularities are why they've got a points deduction.

Look at all those clubs with much wealthier owners than ours whod kill for our last decade (seriously, half those owners probably would literally kill).

But wE NeEdZ r1Ch oWnRZ 2 bE gUd @ fHuTBaLl

I was amazed by this table. Even The Ipswich Town owner is worth £750 million. The owners wealth must be a bit irrelevant then, maybe a lot of these clubs are bleeding money, the owners offset the losses a bit but don't throw good money after bad.

Closer to home we are self sufficient, NCFC is not bleeding money and we don't rely on wealthy owners. We have a manager in Farke than can develop Dereham and York players from nothing to £25 million rated,  and Webber who can obtain potential talent on the cheap such as Pukki who then goes on to be a 30+ goal striker. We have a young developing squad. It isn't all bad we've just sold 2 players for £50 million who can't defend a corner or free kick

Makes our achievements all the more remarkable then as far as I can see - pleased we’re not run by the stinking rich Chien Lee consortium 😉

7 hours ago, norfolkngood said:

Strange how the figures are calculated I am sure Delia could sell her shares for a lot more than 23 million 

Since the shares are not listed on a stock market (which is also the case with most and possibly even all Championship clubs) it would be impossible to put a serious figure on how much they might be sold for. I doubt the ownership value of the clubs is included in those figures, which are more likely to represent their non-football wealth.

If anything could be cited as support for the self-funding model of Norwich City then this table is surely it. It demonstrates that having massively wealthy owners does not typically translate into significant monetary input into a club's finances. Not only is FFP increasingly preventing this, but the economic consequences of Covid-19 is likely to ravage the wealth of many of these individuals, thereby making their ownership of these clubs a genuine financial burden. How many of these clubs offer an opportunity for their owners to recoup their losses? Don't expect to see these owners investing in squad acquisitions, do expect to see them selling off their club's realizable assets (stadiums, training grounds etc). It is no coincidence that City tops the league in (quality) player acquisitions. We can do this because of the financial security offered by the self-funding model. 

The reality is that the influx of "super-wealthy" owners has only benefitted a handful of top premier league teams, and has contributed massively to the financial sh*t-storm that has been raging in league football for many years. Post Covid-19 that sh*t-storm is about to be raised by several categories, and the consequences will be dire for many clubs (RIP Macclesfield et al). So I for one have no desire to see some super-rich individual eye-up our real estate. I for one am genuinely grateful for the stewardship provided by Delia and Michael that has seen us achieve success well beyond what might be expected if we are to take the Championship Wealth Table seriously.

No doubt some here will brand me a "happy-clapper", so be it. But one thing I can safely predict is that because of our self-funding model I will be happily clapping once again at Carrow Road at some point in the future when this hideous pandemic subsides. And it will still be a Carrow Road that we own, sporting a team of exciting, high quality players that we can genuinely afford. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Since the shares are not listed on a stock market (which is also the case with most and possibly even all Championship clubs) it would be impossible to put a serious figure on how much they might be sold for. I doubt the ownership value of the clubs is included in those figures, which are more likely to represent their non-football wealth.

Absolutely, which rather renders the whole table pretty meaningless, to be honest.

A list of the value of the clubs (itself pretty subjective) would be of more interest, especially as a fair few would almost certainly be negative. 

Just now, GMF said:

Absolutely, which rather renders the whole table pretty meaningless, to be honest.

A list of the value of the clubs (itself pretty subjective) would be of more interest, especially as a fair few would almost certainly be negative. 

Yes, a comparable list of wealth to value would be very interesting. However the parameters would be almost impossible to set I feel.

Always thought QPR would do better than they have after Tony Fernandes took them over. Lucky us?

58 minutes ago, horsefly said:

If anything could be cited as support for the self-funding model of Norwich City then this table is surely it. It demonstrates that having massively wealthy owners does not typically translate into significant monetary input into a club's finances. Not only is FFP increasingly preventing this, but the economic consequences of Covid-19 is likely to ravage the wealth of many of these individuals, thereby making their ownership of these clubs a genuine financial burden. How many of these clubs offer an opportunity for their owners to recoup their losses? Don't expect to see these owners investing in squad acquisitions, do expect to see them selling off their club's realizable assets (stadiums, training grounds etc). It is no coincidence that City tops the league in (quality) player acquisitions. We can do this because of the financial security offered by the self-funding model. 

The reality is that the influx of "super-wealthy" owners has only benefitted a handful of top premier league teams, and has contributed massively to the financial sh*t-storm that has been raging in league football for many years. Post Covid-19 that sh*t-storm is about to be raised by several categories, and the consequences will be dire for many clubs (RIP Macclesfield et al). So I for one have no desire to see some super-rich individual eye-up our real estate. I for one am genuinely grateful for the stewardship provided by Delia and Michael that has seen us achieve success well beyond what might be expected if we are to take the Championship Wealth Table seriously.

No doubt some here will brand me a "happy-clapper", so be it. But one thing I can safely predict is that because of our self-funding model I will be happily clapping once again at Carrow Road at some point in the future when this hideous pandemic subsides. And it will still be a Carrow Road that we own, sporting a team of exciting, high quality players that we can genuinely afford. 

Seems that worries of Championship clubs going bust are somewhat way off the mark looking at the owners' wealth.  Is there a similar table for the lower divisions I wonder ?

Edited by paul moy

18 minutes ago, GMF said:

Hardly completely meaningless, but what would certainly be interesting would be figures on the amounts of money actually invested, including as a proportion of wealth, and the debt owed to owners, and the terms of repayment etc.

2 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Seems that worries of Championship clubs going bust are somewhat way off the mark looking at the owners' wealth.  Is there a similar table for the lower divisions I wonder ?

That depends on whether the owners are prepared to put their money into the club, I'm sure there's some very intricate comapny structures that isolate the owners personal wealth from the football club.

24 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Hardly completely meaningless, but what would certainly be interesting would be figures on the amounts of money actually invested, including as a proportion of wealth, and the debt owed to owners, and the terms of repayment etc.

That would involve some serious investigation, something that’s probably beyond whoever produced the table 😉

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, paul moy said:

Businesses go bust because they run out of cash, with banks / owners deciding against offering further funds to keep them going. Just because an owner has significant wealth doesn’t necessarily mean that they will continue to offer their support indefinitely.

42 minutes ago, paul moy said:

I'm afraid you completely miss the point. The point is that the wealth of club owners bears NO relation to the amount of money they are prepared to invest in the club. Just ask our "friends" down south. The overwhelming majority of these owners are not natural fans of the clubs they own (unlike our owners). They regard their ownership of their club as no different from their ownership of any other business (unlike our owners). Their commitment to their club extends as far as that club presents a source of real or potential profit (unlike our owners). When a club struggles financially these owners are often quick to strip a club of it's financial assets (unlike our owners). 

There is every reason to believe that the majority of Championship clubs (and in all leagues) are going to find themselves in serious financial difficulty post Covid-19. There are very few reasons to believe that their owners will be willing or able to bail them out. These owners too will be massively hit by the effects of Covid-19, and I suspect it won't take long for them to scrutinise the loss making parts of their business empires and seek to strip them of any realisable assets. When owners are not genuine fans the bottom line principles of free market capitalism tend to provide the impetus for their actions. We have been incredibly lucky to have owners who are also genuine (fanatical) fans. They have bailed the club out on numerous occasions and have never been motivated by the bottom line principles of business. But to rely on such largess into the future would be utterly reckless, which is why the self-funding model represents by far the best prospect for the survival and flourishing of the club we all love.

8 minutes ago, GMF said:

Businesses go bust because they run out of cash, with banks / owners deciding against offering further funds to keep them going. Just because an owner has significant wealth doesn’t necessarily mean that they will continue to offer their support indefinitely.

Obviously, we will imo see the true acid test very soon, and how many of those figures are true or otherwise.  I cannot see any owner with true wealth allowing their hobby to fail.