Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

May as well sell the lot.

7 hours ago, lake district canary said:

Well I've read through this thread but can't quite believe it. So we are selling our young players that we have developed and we are bringing more through....new heroes in the making, Idah, Martin, some of the new guys, while making a huge profit on the sales we have made to sustain and build for the future.

I am sad Godfrey is going, but it does fit in the plan that we have always been told about and with Gibson the potential to be the player that galvanises the defence - him and Zimmermann or Hanley will be a very strong pairing, Klose there too.  So sad as it is to see one of my favourite players go, he will forever be part of that great season of promotion. So I'm trying to look on it as being grateful for what we've had, not pining for what we have lost.

Maybe looking forward to financial stability and growing resources is actually the way we should be looking at this, with the next stage of young players to come through and take us up again, getting the club ever stronger and able to cope better in the PL.  New players, new heroes and who knows what will happen with the team this season.....already I'm thinking the spine of the team is is going to be super strong -

Krul

Zimmermann  Gibson

Skipp

Pukki 

and with the pace of those around them, we should have a team to be reckoned with - and I wouldn't under estimate what Farke and his coaches can do too.....

The season has only just begun and once this transfer window is closed we can settle down and crack on with it.

IF we sell Emi and Max as well, then I belive we will se Krul and Pukki leaving in January. If they dont belive in promotion this season then they will want a last big move.

I personaly belive that Emi and Max Will stat for now.

9 hours ago, Dame to Blame said:

It's been the same at this club since I have supported them way back in in 1973. Nothing will change , in the football world we are small fry and this will continue to happen for ever more sadly 

And the club will continue to be small fry whilst it has owners that lack the money or ambition to move it forward and yet would not relinquish power to someone else that could! So the status quo is maintained.

Unless the real stakeholders of the club (the fans) push for change, nothing ever will 

8 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

Between £18m and £35m was the figure floated for the remainder of the PL season: https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/potentially-huge-loss-forces-canaries-to-play-safe-1-6623679

Factor in an entire season of Championship season ticket income down the drain too, and it has the potential to be a lot bigger. Let's say, all things being equal, that the £40m we receive up front for Lewis and Godfrey covers the hole from last season and this season; that still doesn't account for the players we've signed, let alone any future signings.

Global football is going to change drastically over the next two or three years, and not for the better in a financial sense. Imagine if coronavirus had hit two years ago, when we had to sell Maddison just to stay afloat after the parachute payments ran out.

It's going to be bloody painful for all clubs outside the global elite; our sustainable model is actually looking better all the time from where I'm sitting.

This, this, this for goodness sakes.

Astounded at the level of surprise and disappointment here. Always going to lose most if not all of the Famous Five (as I have said throughout ). Throw  in Covid and the resulting loss of income,  and it is inevitable. 

The buying has been done. The question is have we replaced these proven, capable championship players? Time will tell. 

I expected to lose a FB, an AM and one other this window, with Godfrey most likely. So I expect either Emi or Todd to leave imminently. 
Anymore than that, without further significant spending and I think we’ve been led up the garden path again as we’ll do well to finish sixth.

This is exactly why, in my opinion, putting everything into staying up was always the best option. Relegation leads to many issues that Webber can’t control so whilst on paper, his 5 year plan may look great, in reality it’s a completely different matter.

How many teams bounce back at the first attempt? Very few.   I always found it strange that so many fans were happy with relegation on the basis that we would be any different.

1 hour ago, Teemu’s right foot said:
9 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

No. It’s always been about keeping the club in their hands (whilst putting nothing in).

I know, that’s what I was saying

And is that a bad thing? Having control over a club that they love and want the best for, developing it on in a sustainable way that will stand the test of time?

And putting the caveat in there "whilst putting nothing in"....well, that is a bit insulting actually. How dare you say they are putting nothing in?   It is like a husband saying to a wife who doesn't work and who stays at home who runs the house looks after the children...."you are putting nothing in".  

And like marriage, there is more to being a successful football club than just bringing home the money. In fact a marriage is (ideally) a relationship that is born out of love, not money....and love that fans (including DS and MJW) have for the for the football club is similar - it goes way beyond money.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ricardo said:

My understanding was that we would go back stronger. No way that is going to happen now. I think we've just thrown in the towel.

Whine moan whinge. 

You'd turn down 30 million would you then? 

The level of moaning on this forum is unbelievable. 

11 hours ago, Capt. Pants said:

It doesn't matter if Todd and Emi aren't sold - they don't want to be here! They've made that clear! Whatever sort of commitment will we get from them ?

I knew this would happen the project is just a money grabbing exercise dressed up as some long term plan.

It's typical Norwich, always has been, always will be.

How is it the clubs fault they don't want to be here? 

You've totally contradicted yourself in a pathetic, lazy attempt to join in the pinkun poster's moronic attack on the club for daring to sell a young player for stupid money. 

So winning the division with kids and rejects is now a bad thing. 

Selling unproven players for stupid money in a time of financial uncertainty is a bad thing. 

Now not blowing all that cash is a bad thing. 

Some of you are absolutely out of control. 

Edited by Jerrykerry

10 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

If what Farke said is true, and I believe him, then you would have to be very naive not to decide  that Cantwell and Buendia were indeed trying to force the club to let them leave. As said before, this attempt by them to engineer a move has almost certainly upset the plans Webber and Farke had for this transfer window.

More generally it is probably best to see what the position is at the end of the window rather than doing the whole woe is us sackcloth and ashes thing now.

A couple of points to add. Firstly, assuming Godfrey goes, we have already signed the like for like replacements for the two departed in Quintilla and Gibson.

Secondly,  what has happened so far is not a refutation of the self-financing model but an example of how it can cope with circumstances made more extreme by an unforseen event. In this case, a pandemic.

What the club certainly could have done without, on top of the pandemic, is the downing of tools by both Buendia and Cantwell, which falls into a similar if less dramatic category, of it-never-rains-but-it-pours events.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Kingston Yellow said:

Yawn. Let’s see how this season goes and then reflect.

Fair enough, until then, stop coming out with utter garbage!    Webber, out of his depth - how silly!   

I am absolutely fine with this. We have nurtured, for the first time in our history, 5 talents (at once) and that is a massive positive and they will generate more money than we have ever seen. That is our model, whether you like it or not. What we do with that money, remains to be seen, and the next fortnight will determine a lot. I certainly do not want to be a hypocrite and want my Club to be wildly unsustainable due to a misguided, single minded, thought process that says you HAVE to be at the football Top Table, to be considered successful and yet are tens of millions of pounds in debt. That's not proper sporting success, it's a fallacy. We, as fans, just see the top (public) level of running a football club, so we are bound to have a one eyed view sometimes. It's not as easy as saying that Webber, et al, have renounced their duties. It's way deeper than that.

If we go and buy players that, or the remaining squad, get us up this year , then great. We all like to win, and we all want to be the best we can be, but we are where we are, with us trying to claw back previous years administerial/manager decisions. No Club is perfect.

You can't reasonably expect us to have kept any of those 5, so if 1 or 2 stay then that's a bonus. If all 5 go, then , meh, it is what it is. There will still be 11 people in a green and yellow shirt the next time we turn up at Carrow Road. 

OTBC💚💛

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

I am absolutely fine with this. We have nurtured, for the first time in our history, 5 talents (at once) and that is a massive positive and they will generate more money than we have ever seen. That is our model, whether you like it or not. What we do with that money, remains to be seen, and the next fortnight will determine a lot. I certainly do not want to be a hypocrite and want my Club to be wildly unsustainable due to a misguided, single minded, thought process that says you HAVE to be at the football Top Table, to be considered successful and yet are tens of millions of pounds in debt. That's not proper sporting success, it's a fallacy. We, as fans, just see the top (public) level of running a football club, so we are bound to have a one eyed view sometimes. It's not as easy as saying that Webber, et al, have renounced their duties. It's way deeper than that.

If we go and buy players that, or the remaining squad, get us up this year , then great. We all like to win, and we all want to be the best we can be, but we are where we are, with us trying to claw back previous years administerial/manager decisions. No Club is perfect.

You can't reasonably expect us to have kept any of those 5, so if 1 or 2 stay then that's a bonus. If all 5 go, then , meh, it is what it is. There will still be 11 people in a green and yellow shirt the next time we turn up at Carrow Road. 

OTBC💚💛

A refreshing approach to all the other hystericals on this thread.    There is inevitability about some sales although we should be concerned that we will end up with too many new players at the expense of team continuity.    The main reason for that though, is because we’ve had to replace Tom, Josip, Mario, Moritz and Marco who proved not so clever. Ultimately we have to wait and see as you say! 

Edited by ged in the onion bag

9 hours ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Ricardo... has just signed for the nappy crappers. An absolute coup. They will certainly mean business this season, and this could spell the end of the happy clappers for good. 

Ricardo- “ chances are I’ll never get to Carrow Road again, I’m not leaving the house for months. What’s that you say? Tickets are on sale ? OUT OF MY WAAAAY ! “

• Haha 2

Reading the other forums I think the penny is finally dropping about The Stowmarket 2 ownership of the club

await the announcement of the mysterious new financial black hole any day now

anyone with an once of feeling for the club should in no uncertain terms let it be known very loudly that they have to sell up and sell up now

The amount of players we’ve brought in so far this window and people are surprised that we’re going to sell players? Not only sell, but sell for a great price that will see the club we love survive (and hopefully thrive) through these uncertain times while many clubs struggle and potentially fold completely.

The players being sold were always likely to go, and again I can’t believe that’s a surprise to anyone. All 5 are better than the championship. All 5 will want to be back in the PL and playing at the highest level possible during their relatively short careers. Good luck to them. We also want to sell to continue the model that has been set up. If any are happy to stay and the club can afford to keep them then fantastic but with the signings made seeming to be more than adequate replacements (hopefully) for the so called ‘big 5’, it really should have been expected that most , if not all will leave. 

The OP is complete nonsense

Edited by Fiery Zac

The idea that we were going to keep our good, young, ambitious, potential packed players was pie the sky. Why would they want to stay? No point keeping any player hi would rather be elsewhere if the money is right. 

10 hours ago, hogesar said:

"Godfrey, Everton have bid £25 million for you and Ancelotti, a world reknown coach, is a big fan of you. How would you like to go play for him in the Premier league and potentially challenge for Europe this season, on triple your current salary?"

"Nah thanks, I like the chippy in Hethersett".

There is a difference between knocking on Webber's door and telling him you want to leave and coming in from training ( take note he was on the video yesterday ) and being informed that a bid has been accepted and would he like to go and discuss terms.

1 hour ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

The buying has been done. The question is have we replaced these proven, capable championship players? Time will tell. 

It has indeed but its amazing how many on here think these sales are now going to finance a spending spree.

I don't  think anyone expected to keep all the top players but neither did they expect to lose the lot, which now seems to be very likely. We cannot expect Farke to constantly put together promotion challenging teams after gutting them season after season.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

What the club certainly could have done without, on top of the pandemic, is the downing of tools by both Buendia and Cantwell, which falls into a similar if less dramatic category, of it-never-rains-but-it-pours events.

This is true but it also highlights the fallacy of building a side to go back stronger. If your best players leave after the inevitable relegation you are simply back at square one with a manager trying to repeat a miracle.

Yes all clubs are technically selling clubs and players will always want to move onto bigger and better things but if feels to me at least like they seem to leave NCFC much quicker than they do other similar sized clubs. In the past you could argue that was born out of financial necessity but this season the club doesn't have that excuse. We tend to get one, maybe two seasons out of our best young players before they push for a move and it's very frustrating. 

Another reason why fans will be less tolerant this summer as Ricardo alluded to is because we were asked to swallow the bitter pill of that embarrassing capitulation in the top flight and lack of strengthening in the previous summer on the faith that the club had a plan to come back stronger and that our lack of spending in that summer meant we are now comfortable financially. If you then sell our best talent anyway and replace them with loans, players other clubs as not good enough for the top flight and young and inexpensive gambles with the faith that our manager can work another miracle then you are asking a lot of an already dispirited and disappointed fanbase.

50 minutes ago, Crabbycanary3 said:

OTBC💚💛

Yep, this, in a nutshell. Sad to see some of them go, but exciting to see what develops - it is a process, not a firesale and all the time we are building resources, recsources that keep us in the forefront of being able to compete with growing confidence as the process develops further.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Yes all clubs are technically selling clubs and players will always want to move onto bigger and better things but if feels to me at least like they seem to leave NCFC much quicker than they do other similar sized clubs.

Is that true, or is it just what it feels like?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

- it is a process, not a firesale 

I agree, its not a firesale in the sense that we are forced to sell through over extending in the Premier League. My point is that the model we were sold appears to end up at exactly the same position.

If four or five are now sold it becomes a firesale without a fire.

7 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

Is that true, or is it just what it feels like?

Yes, & feelings are all that matter these days. To Hell in a handcart we go .......

16 minutes ago, ricardo said:

This is true but it also highlights the fallacy of building a side to go back stronger. If your best players leave after the inevitable relegation you are simply back at square one with a manager trying to repeat a miracle.

Except that a judgment on the squad can only be made at the end of the transfer window. You say there will now be no more incomings. I doubt that will be the case if more than one more leaves.

And in some areas where players are not  now likely to leave the squad is markedly better than last season's. In defensive midfield, on the wings, and up front, where Hugill will probably be more effective than Drmic, and Idah is a year older and probably better. Plus, as already stated, we seem to have very adequate replacements in the building for the two so far gone.

Edited by PurpleCanary
  • Like 2

I always thought all 5 'Crown Jewels' would be sold - so no surprise so far, with 3 still to go (happy with prices for 1st team re-investments)

Webber needs to buy quality replacements now - who will support the 1st team this season

The huge amount of pre season new transfers was a bit of a 'red herring' for 1st team quality in the Championship - as most were deemed not good enough to help out now (some surprises we let loan out)

Webber needs to spend some cash & get in the players we need for the 1st team for this season ...