Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

May as well sell the lot.

Does anybody doubt that we are weaker squad without Lewis and Godfrey already.

Lose the other three and tell me what challenging team we will be putting out?

57 minutes ago, hogesar said:

I thought the plan was made pretty clear, develop young players at the club, for the first team, some who won't make it, some who will and some who will exceed us and be sold, but not on the cheap because we have no option.

Hence we could have recouped 50m for two players sold, and we may not be any weaker for it with Xavi and Gibson at the club already.

I'm really not sure where this confusion is coming from.

Do you really believe what you’ve written? 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

If what Faroe said is true, and I believe him, then you would have to be very naive not to decide  that Cantwell and Buendia were indeed trying to force the club to let them leave. As said before, this attempt by them to engineer a move has almost certainly upset the plans Webber and Farke had for this transfer window.

More generally it is probably best to see what the position is at the end of the window rather than doing the whole woe is us sackcloth and ashes thing now.

I don't think Emi really owes us anything.

He agreed to come here, didn't have to.

He did really well.

Now he's choosing to leave.

Well done, good luck, I'll miss your good days but not your bad ones.

As for Cantwell.... Local lad, we've done everything right in his development, incredibly lucky to come through at a time when we had a Farke in charge and not an Alex Neil. 

Reckon that after a decade in our youth system we could possibly have asked for more than 2 years of first team football before you jump ship immediately after relegation?

Now, I think that Eadie was a bit too loyal, he was too good to be stuck in the Championship.

But Cantwell couldn't give us to January? just to see if we were top 3/4 in the league and had a good chance of an instant return? Seriously? After all that guff about staying out on the pitch because he cared so much? 

And to leave to who, a basket case club which will come back down as soon as Bielsa gets bored? 

I tell you now, he's the next Danny Mills... embarrassed to have ever played for us, will talk us down, thinks he's too good for us.

Fed up with the little mercenary pr!ck, can't wait to see him leave. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

22 minutes ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I'm personally looking forward to seeing Cantwell leave, the embarrassing petulant little narcissistic. The game didn't need a new Robbie Savage, but that's where he's heading with all his stupid attention seeking. 

You are Waveney and i claim my £5.

Our last season in the championship was brilliant and we over performed. We got to the Premiership and thats when we didn't have a plan. The club didn't strengthen the defence and I'm not suggesting spending millions but we could have bought very good defensive players and given it a good effort. Out of the 3 that went up that year we were the best team by far but ended up the worst of the three  because they tried to stay and we didn't. We are now paying the price. We put some  good players on the shop window last year and those same players deserve to be playing in the premier league. Selling the like of Godfrey who lets be honest you can't stop from being ambitious is inevitable. As soon as we got relegated we were unlikely to hold onto them. Our failure is not now it was our pre season going into the premier league where we didn't strengthen and this is the fallout from that

2 minutes ago, Graham Paddons Beard said:

And you are surprised? 

Massively disappointed to yet again not see the full potential of one of our most promising players. It won't get reinvested in the first team and short term leaves as with one fit centre back, two recovering from injury and a guy that's hardly played in two years... On top of a complete lack of creativity in midfield. Just a typical start to a season under this management really. No wonder Webber is off soon....

1 minute ago, TeemuVanBasten said:

I don't think Emi really owes us anything.

He agreed to come here, didn't have to.

He did really well.

Now he's choosing to leave.

Well done, good luck, I'll miss your good days but not your bad ones.

As for Cantwell.... Local lad, done everything right in his development, incredibly lucky to come through at a time when we had a Farke in charge and not an Alex Neil. 

Reckon that after a decade in our youth system we could possibly have asked for more than 2 years of first team football before you jump ship immediately after relegation?

Now, I think that Eadie was a bit too loyal, he was too good to be stuck in the Championship.

But Cantwell couldn't give us to January? To see if we were top 3/4 in the league? Seriously? After all that guff about staying out on the pitch because he cared so much? 

I tell you now, he's the next Danny Mills... embarrassed to have ever played for us, will talk us down, thinks he's too good for us.

Fed up with the little mercenary pr!ck, can't wait to see him leave. 

Not bad on the pitch but a joke off it, glad he is off to be honest. 

Just now, Kenny Foggo said:

and a guy that's hardly played in two years... 

That was pretty much Tim Krul though, so lets give him a chance hey? Was very highly rated before his £15m move, tipped to play for England.

I'm not sure what went wrong, but could be on to a winner and he's left footed which means if Godfrey remained he'd likely have been playing alongside him. 

52 minutes ago, Capt. Pants said:

We have sold 2 and 2 more don't want to be here and pretty much downed tools. That's 4 gone in my head.

There are too many options for Max not to go as well.

Sad times.

Now that we've sold 2, and it looks like a 3rd sale is imminent, why would the the other 2 (Buendia & Aarons) want to stay here and rot when it's been made perfectly clear to them, if they didn't know already, that this Club has no ambition.

It was obvious last season and it's even more obvious now.

Edited by Making Plans

4 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

Now that we've sold 2, and it looks like a 3rd sale is imminent, why would the the other 2 (Buendia & Aarons) want to stay here and rot when it's been made perfectly clear to them, if they didn't know already, that this Club has no ambition.

It was obvious last season and it's even more obvious now.

True unfortunately 

1 hour ago, Teemu’s right foot said:

It is the long term plan, the club is now financially secure which allows the control to be left in the hands of the family by handing the reigns down to Tom. It’s always been about a sustainable model that keeps the club in their hands

No. It’s always been about keeping the club in their hands (whilst putting nothing in).

1 hour ago, Feedthewolf said:

The model didn't have the foresight to predict coronavirus, which has left a colossal hole in our finances. If we keep Max and Emi, we should still have enough quality to challenge for promotion. And don't rule out the possibility of a) Josh Martin making a big impact, or b) Webber pulling another transfer rabbit out the hat with the proceeds.

Assuming Cantwell is sold, if we also sell Max and/or Emi in this window, that would be seriously concerning. Happy to keep my powder dry until the window is closed. I'm counting Godfrey as gone now, but we've still only sold two of the five as things stand.

It hasn’t left that big a hole. One big sale covers it. So Godfrey maybe excused due to covid. No more are.

1 hour ago, ricardo said:

I beg to differ. The model was to go back stronger and stay in the Prem because we wouldnt have to sell our best players like teams who had splashed out and failed. If we have to sell our stars anyway, what is the difference and what is the point?

This. 

32 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Id be happy if it stopped at two but I think we all know that its wishful thinking.

Didn’t stop at two for long

1 hour ago, Alex Moss said:

Btw @Feedthewolf - I’m of the same opinion about Josh Martin. Surely we’re not the only two that believe he could be a hell of a player for us this season? This could be his opportunity, and I have no doubt with his natural talent, he will grab it. Added bonus, no Alice band 

Not only that, why do we have options to call back some of the lads on loan? If they're making strides - step in with us and carry on in that vein.

It was inevitable that we would have to sell because we, like other smaller clubs, don't have rich owners who are prepared to spend whatever it costs to stay in the Premiership. I listened to an interview a few years ago when the owner of Leicester was asked how much was he willing to spend to keep Leicester in the Premiership and he replied however much it takes.

We will continue to attract good youngsters because they can see that they will be given the chance to play, irrespective of how young they are. They too will in turn move on, and we will reap the benefit when we sell them. We are still financially much better off than the majority of teams in the Championship.

I do believe that Aarons, Buendia, Cantwell, Godfrey and Lewis all did well in their first year of premiership football and may well have stayed with us if we had not been relegated.

I also believe they will be more likely to improve under a manager whose preference is to move the ball quickly and forward, as opposed to sideways and backwards.

Hopefully after 16th Oct Farke can concentrate on putting together a squad to challenge for promotion.

47 minutes ago, ricardo said:

No thank you, I have no use for one and neither have the club the way things are going. Expecting Farke to knock together promotion winning teams every other year is not a realistic proposition. Id better happy selling one or two every year but half the first team is asking for trouble.

Dortmund have player turnover of around 50% in the article that @king canary put up for discussion a couple of days ago. If this safeguards our financial future and ensures that quality youngsters see us as a destination of choice under a management team and culture that is focused on them, it should help in building decent teams despite it.

And Webber brought Farke over from... Dortmund.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Not at all but now both you and wacky are slanting it that they wanted to leave and we know of no such thing. That is an assumption that is now being portrayed as fact.

"Godfrey, Everton have bid £25 million for you and Ancelotti, a world reknown coach, is a big fan of you. How would you like to go play for him in the Premier league and potentially challenge for Europe this season, on triple your current salary?"

"Nah thanks, I like the chippy in Hethersett".

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hampton canary said:

Hopefully after 16th Oct Farke can concentrate on putting together a squad to challenge for promotion.

The odds of this happening are lengthening as we speak.

12 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It hasn’t left that big a hole. One big sale covers it. So Godfrey maybe excused due to covid. No more are.

Between £18m and £35m was the figure floated for the remainder of the PL season: https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/potentially-huge-loss-forces-canaries-to-play-safe-1-6623679

Factor in an entire season of Championship season ticket income down the drain too, and it has the potential to be a lot bigger. Let's say, all things being equal, that the £40m we receive up front for Lewis and Godfrey covers the hole from last season and this season; that still doesn't account for the players we've signed, let alone any future signings.

Global football is going to change drastically over the next two or three years, and not for the better in a financial sense. Imagine if coronavirus had hit two years ago, when we had to sell Maddison just to stay afloat after the parachute payments ran out.

It's going to be bloody painful for all clubs outside the global elite; our sustainable model is actually looking better all the time from where I'm sitting.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I think it takes quite something to be the ultimate pant wetting thread of the year, but this just about nails it for me - by some considerable distance. 

It seems absurd that the ‘happy clappers’ are having to point out it’s not just down to club if a player moves on. Players have so much more power now. That’s the brutal reality. But I get that there is a need for any old stick to beat the club with. 

We’ve sold only 2 so far which has surprised me to be honest, but let’s not forget the fact that we’ve made an incredible amount of young signings during this window too. The busiest window I can remember in fact. I know it’s easy to brush that fact under the carpet, but y’know, sometimes it’s easier when it doesn’t fit the agenda. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Feedthewolf said:

Between £18m and £35m was the figure floated for the remainder of the PL season: https://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/potentially-huge-loss-forces-canaries-to-play-safe-1-6623679

Factor in an entire season of Championship season ticket income down the drain too, and it has the potential to be a lot bigger. Let's say, all things being equal, that the £40m we receive up front for Lewis and Godfrey covers the hole from last season and this season; that still doesn't account for the players we've signed, let alone any future signings.

Global football is going to change drastically over the next two or three years, and not for the better in a financial sense. Imagine if coronavirus had hit two years ago, when we had to sell Maddison just to stay afloat after the parachute payments ran out.

It's going to be bloody painful for all clubs outside the global elite; our sustainable model is actually looking better all the time from where I'm sitting.

I'm really surprised that there's people not getting this.

You've explained it pretty well, so fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Uncle Fred said:

True but unfortunately I have yet again been proven right

the amount of time I pre call out what is happening is starting to boring I am that reliable 

You said Cantwell had signed a new contract recently

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

Spot on, Wolfie 👍

2 hours ago, ricardo said:

My understanding was that we would go back stronger. No way that is going to happen now. I think we've just thrown in the towel.

What's the alternative Ricardo? Keep players against their will whilst rejecting decent offers for their registration? We know exactly how that will end, and at a time where the disparity in football finances is going to become even greater I am not sure it was really an option.

I genuinely don't understand what people expected, or what their alternative is. 2 and a half years ago the "young stars" weren't even a household name amongst Norwich fans, so the rise has been fairly monumental.

Edited by Ian

2 minutes ago, hampton canary said:

We are still financially much better off than the majority of teams in the Championship.

Personally I would prefer to be less better off but be much more competitive.

As far as I know you don't get awarded any points based on the amount of money you have in the bank.