A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Some of these appointments are like putting Ant McParland as Minister of Defence.

This is a Government once of wannabex but now never could haves.

7 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

Oh. 😳

Armando Iannucci's career will never be the same again.

• Like 1

On 07/07/2022 at 11:47, PurpleCanary said:

If I was a betting person I would put my money on Penny Mordaunt.

Wallace not running is good news for Mordaunt in terms of capturing the military vote.

This quote (most of you might know from Alien Covenant) but actually Ozymandias by Shelley seems apt for Johnson.

"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair! The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

Wallace not running is good news for Mordaunt in terms of capturing the military vote.

I also think it could be Mordaunt and cannot see much push for Braverman  and Badenoch later on...just not convincing candidates and far too loony in their ultra right wing views. No wonder Steve Baker has chosen the former. Mordaunt is yet to launch and it could be a good move just to let the campaigns of others play out a bit. I think Sunak has to be a serious contender (and I have a belief that he has coordinated his resignation with Javid). 

Edited by sonyc

Grant Shapps has announced his bid. Yep, that Grant Shapps, the one with about 45 identities and the ebook.

Good god there's some slim pickings in the Tory party now. It's ridiculous that Boris, by picking a ridiculous cabinet, has then foisted absurd candidates on us as his replacement.

Edited by 1902

27 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Grant Schapps has announced his bid. Yep, that Grant Schapps, the one with about 45 identities and the ebook.

Good god there's some slim pickings in the Tory party now. It's ridiculous that Boris, by picking a ridiculous cabinet, has then foisted absurd candidates on us as his replacement.

As a WelwynHatfield resident I can happily say, dear God, no.

41 minutes ago, 1902 said:

Grant Schapps has announced his bid. Yep, that Grant Schapps, the one with about 45 identities and the ebook.

I read that as Grant Schnapps...😍

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

I think Sunak has to be a serious contender (and I have a belief that he has coordinated his resignation with Javid). 

I agree.  If Sunak becomes PM, Javid will be his Chancellor (a post he held briefly before resigning because Cummings ordered him to sack his staff).  Javid knows that as a Muslim he has no chance of being elected PM so he won't stand.

Edited by benchwarmer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

I look forward to Michael Green, Corinne Stockheath or Sebastian Fox being our new PM.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, 1902 said:

In a former job I had the 'task' (?) of organising and then choreographing a half day visit of Shapps ending with a round table meeting. I had the same thing with David ("Brexit Bulldog") Davis, right in the middle of his run off for leadership.

You'd think the former would be more open minded. Yet it was the exact opposite. Davis had warmth and humour. Plus, at least recently he called out Johnson.

Nowadays, I no longer get stick from my partner - every time DD was on the TV she used to say "oh look, there's your mate" to wind me up. I've had that for many years to her complete amusement. 

All these runners are surely grandstanding aren't they? I mean Grant Shapps? Seriously?

1 hour ago, A Load of Squit said:

The next election may not be for a while but I think Labour can start printing their posters already.

With that act, her finger indicates (a) the one month she will stay in cabinet and (b) a surefire electoral defeat next election.

Stupid thing to do for an elected official. There again, it's the policies we ought to be mostly angry about. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PurpleCanary said:

I read that as Grant Schnapps...😍

Too many trips to Flanders. I'm seeing Sch combinations everywhere nowadays.

• Haha 1

Some of those putting their names forward know full well they don't stand a chance of becoming leader so I suspect the ulterior motive is to secure a seat in the next cabinet. In the not too distant future, expect the likes of Shapps and Braverman to issue a statement saying something like, "I withdraw my name from the leadership contest and urge my supporters to back X for leader", where X will be the person they consider most likely to win. Schapps and Braverman have proved themselves to be seriously lacking in their current briefs so they will hope to build up a sense of indebtedness from the next PM to stand a chance of future cabinet employment.

2 hours ago, horsefly said:

Some of those putting their names forward know full well they don't stand a chance of becoming leader so I suspect the ulterior motive is to secure a seat in the next cabinet. In the not too distant future, expect the likes of Shapps and Braverman to issue a statement saying something like, "I withdraw my name from the leadership contest and urge my supporters to back X for leader", where X will be the person they consider most likely to win. Schapps and Braverman have proved themselves to be seriously lacking in their current briefs so they will hope to build up a sense of indebtedness from the next PM to stand a chance of future cabinet employment.

I can’t believe any of them would be that calculating when it’s clear that they are all solely motivated by a passionate desire to do the best thing for their country regardless of personal ideology or gain.  

• Haha 3

On 09/07/2022 at 18:17, benchwarmer said:

I agree.  If Sunak becomes PM, Javid will be his Chancellor (a post he held briefly before resigning because Cummings ordered him to sack his staff).  Javid knows that as a Muslim he has no chance of being elected PM so he won't stand.

Javid is standing after all, and has made a veiled criticism of Sunak's NI rise.  But I suspect it's all part of the Sunak-Javid pact, to make it look as though there isn't a pact; some of the Tory faithful would find it difficult to accept two non-white-British men at the top of government, regardless of their suitability in other respects.  My money's still on Sunak for PM, Javid for Chancellor.

Edited by benchwarmer

13 hours ago, Herman said:

As a WelwynHatfield resident I can happily say, dear God, no.

Did I tell you about his campaign to save the local hospital and A&E in Welwyn Garden?

It's now 10 miles up the road in Stevenage.

13 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

I look forward to Michael Green, Corinne Stockheath or Sebastian Fox being our new PM.

He could campaign on the slogan that he alone is uniquely placed to recreate the glories of the great Roman Triumvirate. 

11 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

I can’t believe any of them would be that calculating when it’s clear that they are all solely motivated by a passionate desire to do the best thing for their country regardless of personal ideology or gain.  

It was one or the most hilarious moments of the week when Braverman (on Peston) declared her candidacy for leader while "nobly" claiming that she would not step down from the cabinet as the country couldn't survive unless she fulfilled her solemn duty to remain as AG. That she is the worst AG in living memory has seemingly passed her by. Her "achievements" include challenging the very cornerstone of our legal system the Magna Carta principle of trial by jury (Bristol), presiding over record backlogs of trials, fewest prosecutions for rape, and bringing barristers out on strike etc, etc, etc. Would love to see the former director of the CPS decimate her at PMQs but sadly it ain't ever going to happen.

Edited by horsefly

29 minutes ago, horsefly said:

It was one or the most hilarious moments of the week when Braverman (on Peston) declared her candidacy for leader while "nobly" claiming that she would not step down from the cabinet as the country couldn't survive unless she fulfilled her solemn duty to remain as AG. That she is the worst AG in living memory has seemingly passed her by. Her "achievements" include challenging the very cornerstone of our legal system the Magna Carta principle of trial by jury (Bristol), presiding over record backlogs of trials, fewest prosecutions for rape, and bringing barristers out on strike etc, etc, etc. Would love to see the former director of the CPS decimate her at PMQs but sadly it ain't never going to happen.

Emily Thornberry has already done that. 😎

Just now, Nuff Said said:

Emily Thornberry has already done that. 😎

Haha! Indeed! Thornberry is rather good at that, a bit like sending David to face Goliath but without the sling.

The final debauchery of our political system by the Clown

"Boris Johnson is thought to be considering a peerage for his most loyal cabinet minister Nadine Dorries as part of his resignation honours list.

The prime minister is reportedly planning to put his culture secretary into the House of Lords as part of a tradition allowing him to recommend certain appointments before leaving No 10."

Just watched Sophie Ridge ask Grant Shapps what was the naughtiest things he had ever done. He couldn't think of anything. Perhaps she should have asked Michael Green.

23 minutes ago, Van wink said:

The final debauchery of our political system by the Clown

"Boris Johnson is thought to be considering a peerage for his most loyal cabinet minister Nadine Dorries as part of his resignation honours list.

The prime minister is reportedly planning to put his culture secretary into the House of Lords as part of a tradition allowing him to recommend certain appointments before leaving No 10."

Jesus Christ! Probably they both know her chances of re-election are zero, so this way she gets to live off the tax payer for ever. Truly disgraceful, and yet another good example of why the abolition of this contradiction to democracy is  essential. 

2 hours ago, benchwarmer said:

Javid is standing after all, and has made a veiled criticism of Sunak's NI rise.  But I suspect it's all part of the Sunak-Javid pact, to make it look as though there isn't a pact; some of the Tory faithful would find it difficult to accept two non-white-British men at the top of government, regardless of their suitability in other respects.  My money's still on Sunak for PM, Javid for Chancellor.

I honestly don't know who will win, but Sunak has the higher and glossy profile and seems likeable, but the more I see him interviewed the less I like him. I also don't know much about the rest. With regard to the racist vote end of the day there will always be one, but for the voter it's limitied choice in regards you have 3 parties to choose from and a lot of the leadership candiates who are people of colour. As a Tory. Do you want to act on racism and vote for the white guy or Labour/Lib Dem or just vote for your party or person based on themself.

13 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Just watched Sophie Ridge ask Grant Shapps what was the naughtiest things he had ever done. He couldn't think of anything. Perhaps she should have asked Michael Green.

If you remember it you were never there 😉

Not so dishy Rishi's rise from rags to riches is a tear-jerking story of a humble man. Except: