A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

2 minutes ago, Herman said:

Good God no.

Haha! he's just done the impossible, declared he is running for leader and resigning from the leadership campaign in the same breath. I suppose he will at least be able to comfort himself it was all toxic Esther's fault he's failed again.

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

And there was me thinking Hunt might be a viable option, not tainted by being in Johnson's cabinet...

All I remember of him are medical staffing complaining about him and going on strike and that he reminds me of Christain Bale in American Psycho. Always seemed he'd always be in a leadership bid though. Tories love a hunt

Official portrait of Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP crop 2.jpg

Jeremy Hunt pledges to bring back fox hunting, claiming illegal practice is part of our heritage - 2019

Edited by KiwiScot
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Good God no.

Jeez, this is depressing. She is married (yes, not a typo) to my MP up here, Philip Davies. 

I think it's a really poor decision by Hunt. Seriously, you have to question his judgement alone on his choice of running mate. Either that or he is very desperate to find candidates. She is very strong minded and loud and I know she is not a fan of Johnson (like her husband Davies) but she also holds unpleasant views.

There again, perhaps it's me and I just think they all mostly hold unpleasant views.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Van wink said:

The final debauchery of our political system by the Clown

"Boris Johnson is thought to be considering a peerage for his most loyal cabinet minister Nadine Dorries as part of his resignation honours list.

The prime minister is reportedly planning to put his culture secretary into the House of Lords as part of a tradition allowing him to recommend certain appointments before leaving No 10."

The HOL is meant to be a check on our system, on parliament. If he does this then it's a purely vexatious act. The politicisation of appointments by this lot corrupts the whole system. Appalling.

Now just as I've written the word 'parliament' above its reminded me of something I read on Twitter last week...the word is made up of a shortening of Parler (to speak) and Mentir (to lie). That's about right.

Johnson has made it even more so because as his former girlfriend has said - for Johnson lying comes as easy as breathing.

44 minutes ago, KiwiScot said:

All I remember of him are medical staffing complaining about him and going on strike and that he reminds me of Christain Bale in American Psycho. Always seemed he'd always be in a leadership bid though. Tories love a hunt

Official portrait of Rt Hon Jeremy Hunt MP crop 2.jpg

Jeremy Hunt pledges to bring back fox hunting, claiming illegal practice is part of our heritage - 2019

He can f.uck right off then 🦊❤️

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Jeez, this is depressing. She is married (yes, not a typo) to my MP up here, Philip Davies. 

I think it's a really poor decision by Hunt. Seriously, you have to question his judgement alone on his choice of running mate. Either that or he is very desperate to find candidates. She is very strong minded and loud and I know she is not a fan of Johnson (like her husband Davies) but she also holds unpleasant views.

There again, perhaps it's me and I just think they all mostly hold unpleasant views.

I guess he thinks he can fool the party that his southern softy remainer credentials are offset by Esther's northern Brexiteer no-nonsense vulgarity in some kind of balanced party ticket. Pure idiocy!

2 hours ago, Herman said:

Good God no.

Oh dear, I've thought for a good while now that Hunt was probably the best we could hope for as a Johnson replacement - some one who would at least take the job seriously, act sensibly and be moderately competent.

Given the still very Brexitty nature of the majority of Tory MPs I suspect it was always a longshot but with a handicap like McVey it seems pointless for him to even run although it seems that most of those running have absolutely no chance but perhaps assume that merely running guarantees them a place in the next Cabinet?

Even for the Tory Party it all seems a bit surreal........seems as though we are heading for another two shambolic years with someone other than Johnson telling us lies about wonderful it all is really.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Creative Midfielder said:

Oh dear, I've thought for a good while now that Hunt was probably the best we could hope for as a Johnson replacement - some one who would at least take the job seriously, act sensibly and be moderately competent.

Given the still very Brexitty nature of the majority of Tory MPs I suspect it was always a longshot but with a handicap like McVey it seems pointless for him to even run although it seems that most of those running have absolutely no chance but perhaps assume that merely running guarantees them a place in the next Cabinet?

Even for the Tory Party it all seems a bit surreal........seems as though we are heading for another two shambolic years with someone other than Johnson telling us lies about wonderful it all is really.

I think you're on to something here. He's probably calculated that he is very unlikely to win whoever he chooses as a running mate, but choosing someone as awfully right wing as McVey is perhaps his signal he is prepared to work with anyone in cabinet.

14 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

This is trending alongside Mordaunt's campaign video:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

Haha! Anything to speed up the departure of Johnson.

1 minute ago, A Load of Squit said:

In the end they gave it to the roll of cheese.

The only sensible decision (Although Truss will think it a "DISGRACE")

Edited by horsefly

22 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Wallace not running is good news for Mordaunt in terms of capturing the military vote.

Mordaunt is an excellent candidate but her Achilles heel is that she thinks women can have willies. This will rule her out. 

On 30/03/2022 at 10:15, Herman said:

On early evidence the tories are ramping up the culture war bollox and their main target will be trans issues. 

Yep.

I get that this is all about appealing to their base, but the idea that a 'war on woke' will win you a general election when you have 10.5% inflation, with falling real incomes and public finances which are in disarray which prevent you using any real fiscal levers to deal with them is bizarre.

Unless someone has any ideas that are more substantial than banning single sex bathrooms and a tax cut that they can't pay for then they will struggle by December 2024.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KiwiScot said:

I honestly don't know who will win, but Sunak has the higher and glossy profile and seems likeable, but the more I see him interviewed the less I like him. I also don't know much about the rest. With regard to the racist vote end of the day there will always be one, but for the voter it's limitied choice in regards you have 3 parties to choose from and a lot of the leadership candiates who are people of colour. As a Tory. Do you want to act on racism and vote for the white guy or Labour/Lib Dem or just vote for your party or person based on themself.

Conservatives don't do ideology like the left hence the party is able to have women Prime Ministers already with a minority ethnic candidate likely to be selected as the next PM. Conservatives choose from whom is perceived to be the most competent though grant you they don't always get it right. 

1 minute ago, Rock The Boat said:

Conservatives don't do ideology like the left hence the party is able to have women Prime Ministers already with a minority ethnic candidate likely to be selected as the next PM. Conservatives choose from whom is perceived to be the most competent though grant you they don't always get it right. 

I mean I know this is a wind up, but everyone does ideology.

Tbh, neither party has a huge problem with the number of ethnic minority candidates, given that of the 8 that stood for Labours leader or deputy leader, 3 were from ethnic minorities.

Both parties have some members with racist views, the proportion is a debate which is borderline pointless.

I am supporting two candidates, either Braverman or Badendoch. Both true conservatives both representative of a new era. I suspect their lack of experience means they won't win but they should get a ministerial position which will place them nicely for the next leadership challenge when the General Election is lost. 

I think the party will want a big clear out from those close to Johnson as they need to create clear blue water between them and the other parties. 

6 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I am supporting two candidates, either Braverman or Badendoch. Both true conservatives both representative of a new era. I suspect their lack of experience means they won't win but they should get a ministerial position which will place them nicely for the next leadership challenge when the General Election is lost. 

I think the party will want a big clear out from those close to Johnson as they need to create clear blue water between them and the other parties. 

And both as thick as shi*te. What "new era" do they represent?

Edited by horsefly
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, 1902 said:

I mean I know this is a wind up, but everyone does ideology.

Tbh, neither party has a huge problem with the number of ethnic minority candidates, given that of the 8 that stood for Labours leader or deputy leader, 3 were from ethnic minorities.

Both parties have some members with racist views, the proportion is a debate which is borderline pointless.

Yep that's a very reasonable post. Unfortunately, the claim that the Conservative Party is racist is thrown about with abandon despite the reality that many minority people are members and hold high office. 

8 minutes ago, horsefly said:

And both as thick as shi*te. What "new era" do they represent?

Stupid comments will be ignored. Learn to post with grace if you want a reply. 

Just now, Rock The Boat said:

Stupid comments will be ignored. Learn to post with grace if you want a reply. 

Coming from you of all people that is utterly hilarious. No one has forgotten your disgusting comments regarding Maxwell's mate.

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

That is essentially a three-minute attack on Johnson as prime minister. Stressing the need for character and values, the need to have a good reputation, the need to be able to trust the motives of the leader, and the need not just for clear policies but the teamwork to carry them through.

She has gone through a checklist of Bojo the Charlatan's most obvious failings as PM. Of course if she had covered them all it would have been longer than the director's cut of Apocalypse Now...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is essentially a three-minute attack on Johnson as prime minister. Stressing the need for character and values, the need to have a good reputation, the need to be able to trust the motives of the leader, and the need not just for clear policies but the teamwork to carry them through.

She has gone through a checklist of Bojo the Charlatan's most obvious failings as PM. Of course if she had covered them all it would have been longer than the director's cut of Apocalypse Now...

Indeed! A pretty slick vid if you ignore the vomit-inducing sentimentality (which won't trouble her her target audience at all). Interesting that the only other speaking clip it contained appears to be Johnson saying "let's get breakfast done" (maybe my hearing is faulty, did anyone else hear that?). Can't believe that was coincidental, although I'm not quite sure what she wants her audience to take from that.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, sonyc said:

This is trending alongside Mordaunt's campaign video:

The moment Mordaunt’s video started I thought “she’s not seen the Day Today version”. It’s a comedic classic from many in Chris Morris’ locker.

I see Jonnie Peacock has already asked for his image to be removed. Sara Gilbert is probably next in the queue. Playing fast and lose with consent for image rights seems a little naive.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 4

5 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

The moment Mordaunt’s video started I thought “she’s not seen the Day Today version”. It’s a comedic classic from many in Chris Morris’ locker.

I see Jonnie Peacock has already asked for his image to be removed. Sara Gilbert is probably next in the queue. Playing fast and lose with consent for image right seems a little naive.

I'm not surprised at Peacock's response, especially since it pictures him with a wife killer (probably not the best choice).