A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

Should Zahawi get anywhere near the next PM or even Tory leader, there will be a shed load of bad news coming out. 

He would be a gift to the opposition. 

2 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

The King/Queen makers.

They'll choose the wrong one and then blame the opposition. 

What kind of world are we living in when Mark Francois gets to decide our new PM?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Interesting rule change. Currently this would leave just Sunak and Mourdant in the race.

Makes it less exciting really when you have multiple candidates being reduced one by one and with time some of them coming to the fore. Nope. Two off the bat no vote needed.

INews this morning:

Johnson ‘could return to No. 10’

Boris Johnson has not ruled out attempting to stage a comeback should his successor’s government collapse, allies have told The Times. The outgoing PM will not “fade into the background” after standing down but will sit on backbenches until the next general election. A friend compared Johnson to Winston Churchill, who returned to office in 1951. “The party will be begging Boris to come back,” they said. “There will be buyer’s remorse.” Another ally said Johnson has “not gone for the long term” because he “could have significant influence from the outside”.

Apologies for this spoiling anyone's breakfast - Trump looms again.

• Sad 1

To paraphrase Stewart Lee...it's like watching a bunch of rats fighting over a courgette which has fallen into a urinal. 🤣

Apples

• Haha 6

13 minutes ago, Mr Apples said:

To paraphrase Stewart Lee...it's like watching a bunch of rats fighting over a courgette which has fallen into a urinal. 🤣

Apples

My favourite comedian Mr A. His occasional articles are very well researched too ...not many like him about and not to everyone's taste.

You've given me an excuse for posting a clip which is as vicious as it is funny. Of course it's about immigration which, to bring this to relevancy for this thread, is still being talked about in the leadership contest (with anger by a Tory candidate, assuming her supporters all agree with her therefore). It's amazing to think that if some people looked into their ancestry just how many would discover their non English roots.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, sonyc said:

My favourite comedian Mr A. His occasional articles are very well researched too ...not many like him about and not to everyone's taste.

Same here sonyc, his book on his comedy career is well worth a read too. 

Apples

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sonyc said:

You've given me an excuse for posting a clip which is as vicious as it is funny. Of course it's about immigration which, to bring this to relevancy for this thread, is still being talked about in the leadership contest (with anger by a Tory candidate, assuming her supporters all agree with her therefore). It's amazing to think that if some people looked into their ancestry just how many would discover their non English roots.

Indeed. If truth be told, I would be considered a mongrel in the dog world. A mixture of Russian and Irish.

I seem to post this every couple of years on here. 14 years ago and still spot on. If you are looking for something funnier, there are longer routines of his on this subject on YouTube, but this is succinct and to the point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

What is it with the Tories and fox hunting?

What is it with the Tories and:

- Tax cuts

- Sovereignty

- “Woke”-ness

- Europe

- Climate change

- Defence spending 

… and fox hunting???

They're all knee jerk for or against issues when in fact they are far more nuanced. But no, no room for sensible debate, you’re either for or against tax cuts, more money for defence and so on. TBF to Sunak, he appears to be the only candidate speaking with a tiny amount of honesty and thought about tax cuts. The rest are trying to argue that the circle is square. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

What is it with the Tories and:

- Tax cuts

- Sovereignty

- “Woke”-ness

- Europe

- Climate change

- Defence spending 

… and fox hunting???

They're all knee jerk for or against issues when in fact they are far more nuanced. But no, no room for sensible debate, you’re either for or against tax cuts, more money for defence and so on. TBF to Sunak, he appears to be the only candidate speaking with a tiny amount of honesty and thought about tax cuts. The rest are trying to argue that the circle is square. 

You would have thought they had 12 years to sort it all out 🤔

I believe many people would be willing to pay a bit more Tax if it was used wisely and in areas they believed benefitted us all such as NHS.

Why do we want a nuclear deterrent? Why do we want to be a world superpower? Why do we want to interfere, like the US, in areas that don't affect them.

There was no military war with Russia that got rid of the Iron Curtain. It was isolation, just like South Africa. And no doubt Iran possibly in my lifetime. China has prospered because we gave them our money not threaten them with a war.

If all the money that goes on maintaining and refurbishing our nuclear capability was put back into the economy sensibly and for just one or two areas such as health and energy, possibly education, then yes, you might get lower taxes eventually. But for now, there is no reason other than political pressure to cut taxes.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

You would have thought they had 12 years to sort it all out 🤔

Ah, but if they’d been allowed to say the “n” word in those 12 years, everything would be fine now.

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Johnson’s Churchill fantasy continues then. 🤪

When Johnson finally makes it to the afterlife, Winston will be waiting ready to kick him in the nuts, "That's for ruining my plans for a united Europe you ****".

Brace yourselves for a severe disappointment; Grant Shapps has withdrawn from the race. His spokesperson, Michael Green said, " Grant is obviously the best possible candidate, but those bast*rds are simply too jealous of his pre-eminent genius. This could be the end of the UK."

Edited by horsefly

Presumably Shapps has been promised a big job in Sunak's Cabinet should he be elected.

Meanwhile, Braverman has not ruled out the possibility of giving Johnson a position in her Cabinet should she become PM.

Anyone have a number for the Samaritans?

No one better than Stewart Lee in the world of comedy. But for the most brilliant analysis of Boris Johnson's dreadful reign and resignation it doesn't get better than Jonathan Pie:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Barry Brockes said:

Presumably Shapps has been promised a big job in Sunak's Cabinet should he be elected.

Meanwhile, Braverman has not ruled out the possibility of giving Johnson a position in her Cabinet should she become PM.

Anyone have a number for the Samaritans?

They've all been sent to Rwanda, that would be an expensive phone call..

5 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Same here sonyc, his book on his comedy career is well worth a read too. 

Apples

3 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

and still spot on. If you are looking for something funnier, there are longer routines of his on this subject on YouTube, but this is succinct and to the point.

👍👍I have his book Mr Apples and have been to a couple of gigs - last one was in Preston for his tour called "Content Provider" (full set now on YouTube). His ability to unnerve the audience means you get such a heightened experience of something being live, and though loosely scripted, it is always edgy. He has a keen mind too doesn't he! It is a mix of curiosity, sarcasm and anger that does it for me.

And that clip Nuff Said is typical of his Guardian work in making his point, if less surreal.

My lads must have been influenced by him because as boys they loved Top Gear. After they had watched Stuart Lee when a bit older, becoming adults, and his complete take down of the presenters, they got a new way of looking at it (and I reckon life too).

Not once have I ever tried to influence my children or talk much about my politics (would you believe 😄...but it's true) yet they are solidly liberal, caring and left of the centre. Nature or nurture? Who knows.

I would recommend Stuart Lee for a part of anyone's education. His focussed anger is satire in the best way. Would imagine those of the right would hate him or call him a Marxist or something like that.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr Apples said:

Apples

This has been another (Twitter) toilet related comment doing the rounds😂

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

👍👍I have his book Mr Apples and have been to a couple of gigs - last one was in Preston for his tour called "Content Provider" (full set now on YouTube). His ability to unnerve the audience means you get such a heightened experience of something being live, and though loosely scripted, it is always edgy. He has a keen mind too doesn't he! It is a mix of curiosity, sarcasm and anger that does it for me.

I love that he calmly calls 84% of the audience idiots. Like you say sonyc, he does like to play with the audience, using repetition or silence to an unusual degree, kind of an anti-Tim Vine (not to criticise Tim Vine, I enjoy his stuff too).

On 10/07/2022 at 22:40, Herman said:

The cavalry has arrived!?🤨

The dream is over. Well done you, it was a good battle but just not to be this time.

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

I love that he calmly calls 84% of the audience idiots. Like you say sonyc, he does like to play with the audience, using repetition or silence to an unusual degree, kind of an anti-Tim Vine (not to criticise Tim Vine, I enjoy his stuff too).

He doesn't seem to mind the comedy circuit jibe that he is not the best comedian on the circuit. He is not even the best comedian in his own house.

• Like 1