A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

17 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

The moment Mordaunt’s video started I thought “she’s not seen the Day Today version”. It’s a comedic classic from many in Chris Morris’ locker.

I see Jonnie Peacock has already asked for his image to be removed. Sara Gilbert is probably next in the queue. Playing fast and lose with consent for image right seems a little naive.

Quite so. I can't imagine either that Sarah Gilbert would wish to be in her video...it amounts to an endorsement. Quite what Johnny Barstow thinks too let alone the Welsh National Football team!

And I would even imagine with images of Stonehenge that even those prehistoric druids might be turning in their very cold graves. 

I understood the point she was making in using Jo Cox (as a good person with different views) but it left me feeling uneasy and overall it was an error to include it.

Edited by sonyc
Spelling
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Quite so. I can't imagine either that Sarah Gilbert would wish to be in her video...it amounts to an endorsement. Quite what Johnny Barstow thinks too let alone the Welsh National Football team!

And I would even imagine with images of Stonhenge that even those prehistoric druids might be turning in their very cold graves. 

I understood the point she was making in using Jo Cox (as a good person with different views) but it left me feeling uneasy and overall it was an error to include it.

I'm beginning to think that once they remove all the people who object to being used in this way, we will just be left with johnson saying "Let's get breakfast done". Maybe she's toast!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

God it's a depressing list isn't yet.

Few I'd employ and apart from Rishi they are all promising jam today & tomorrow without a clue how it's all going to be paid for.

Then we have to realize that the final electorate will be 100 to 200 thousand generally elderly, likely retired other worldly paid up members of the Conservative party that are already fast approaching their use by date. What could possibly go wrong (again). 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is essentially a three-minute attack on Johnson as prime minister. Stressing the need for character and values, the need to have a good reputation, the need to be able to trust the motives of the leader, and the need not just for clear policies but the teamwork to carry them through.

She has gone through a checklist of Bojo the Charlatan's most obvious failings as PM. Of course if she had covered them all it would have been longer than the director's cut of Apocalypse Now...

This may have been publicised, but if not I gather that apart from the candidates leaking stuff about the others to the press they are also leaking it to the Labour party! 

• Haha 1

As has already been said at least once of other candidates, who???

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

That is essentially a three-minute attack on Johnson as prime minister. Stressing the need for character and values, the need to have a good reputation, the need to be able to trust the motives of the leader, and the need not just for clear policies but the teamwork to carry them through.

She has gone through a checklist of Bojo the Charlatan's most obvious failings as PM. Of course if she had covered them all it would have been longer than the director's cut of Apocalypse Now...

I don't know really Purple...when I first read that it wasn't "all about the leader but more about the ship" I did wonder whether the ship wasn't a typo😄

(For Johnson😏)

10 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I don't know really Purple...when I first read that it wasn't "all about the leader but more about the ship" I did wonder whether the ship wasn't a typo😄

(For Johnson😏)

Not about the "ship"?  Ah! I get it. All about the shop. That makes sense. Ties in with Napoleon calling us a nation of shopkeepers but more to the point Mordaunt wants to reinvigorate our small-scale entrepreneurial spirt. Thatcher's father ran a corner shop and rose to become mayor of Grantham...

9 hours ago, sonyc said:

(For Johnson😏)

The Mary Celeste!

7 minutes ago, A Load of Squit said:

Makes you wonder what's holding up Chloe Smiths announcement. 😀

A rare outbreak of sanity.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

What has shocked me about this leadership race is how many candidates there are. They must be all nuts to want the job at the moment. 

I expect it's because the majority of them know they haven't a hope in hell of becoming leader so are putting their names forward to push for a place in cabinet. Get a significant number of MPs on your side then trade those for a guarantee of office. Expect the following speech as they fall, "It was an honour to stand for leader of this wonderful party, I shall now put my support behind ... and urge my own own supporters to do likewise".

• Like 2

All this discussion of a "fresh start" or a "clean start" brings to mind the sort of speech a probation officer gives to a newly released convict. How appropriate!

Anyone watch Andrew Neil last night? Did you notice the dreadful error that he and guests made re the Mordaunt video?

8 minutes ago, horsefly said:

I expect it's because the majority of them know they haven't a hope in hell of becoming leader so are putting their names forward to push for a place in cabinet. Get a significant number of MPs on your side then trade those for a guarantee of office. Expect the following speech as they fall, "It was an honour to stand for leader of this wonderful party, I shall now put my support behind ... and urge my own own supporters to do likewise".

Perhaps they have big families who are all looking for Government contracts.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Indeed so. Mostly it's a marketing ploy, to get noticed. For some it is to build a brand (Mordaunt trying the hardest with her video, plus Sunak and Truss has had speech lessons and a photographer has been following her for months). No wonder those 3 are top in the odds tables. They are playing the game and a small very unrepresentative electorate will vote.

My post on another thread about not seeing much depth in any of the candidates' utterances was partly tongue in cheek, because they don't actually have to say very much. That doesn't make it right though given this person will be the PM, responsible for governing a country and huge departments.

10 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Not about the "ship"?  Ah! I get it. All about the shop. That makes sense. Ties in with Napoleon calling us a nation of shopkeepers but more to the point Mordaunt wants to reinvigorate our small-scale entrepreneurial spirt. Thatcher's father ran a corner shop and rose to become mayor of Grantham...

10/10 for creativity!👏

Better than my attempt at crude humour (and Ben Wallace must have thought he should leave the scene, the stench of Johnson's mess left behind... someone must have said to him ..."Ben, I wouldn't go in there for a while".....)

There you are Purple, I've returned to my crude ways🙂

Prime Ministers

Health, Thatcher, Major, Blair, Brown, Cameron, May, Johnson.

I can't think of much to say really except occasionally you get one of the **** that half competent

It is darkly funny how, after years of attacking Labour on economics and the idea of the magic money tree, these hopefuls are all running on uncosted pledges of tax cuts while not cutting services. Lunatics the lot of them.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

It is darkly funny how, after years of attacking Labour on economics and the idea of the magic money tree, these hopefuls are all running on uncosted pledges of tax cuts while not cutting services. Lunatics the lot of them.

Indeed! And the Office of Budget Responsibility have issued a warning that our economy is in such a catastrophic state that it will require BOTH spending cuts AND tax rises.

• Like 1

The "brilliant" Braverman in action. As we speak, Starmer is probably on his knees praying, "Please let it happen".

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/excruciating-suella-braverman-interview-resurfaces-amid-tory-leadership-bid/ar-AAZrPkM?ocid=msedgntp

Also, nice to know she is focused on the crucial issues the country faces:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/suella-braverman-accuses-penny-mordaunt-of-making-her-pregnancy-needlessly-stressful-in-leadership-contest-row/ar-AAZqozS?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3b297f54b169402a8c7830cb34cd1d08

Where's Harry Hill when you need him?

See the source image

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

The "brilliant" Braverman in action. As we speak, Starmer is probably on his knees praying, "Please let it happen".

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/excruciating-suella-braverman-interview-resurfaces-amid-tory-leadership-bid/ar-AAZrPkM?ocid=msedgntp

Also, nice to know she is focused on the crucial issues the country faces:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/suella-braverman-accuses-penny-mordaunt-of-making-her-pregnancy-needlessly-stressful-in-leadership-contest-row/ar-AAZqozS?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=3b297f54b169402a8c7830cb34cd1d08

Where's Harry Hill when you need him?

See the source image

Braverman is mental enough to do some damage if she somehow wins though.

I'm hoping for someone mad enough to be easy for Labour to beat but not so mental that they could do some crazy **** pre any more elections.

Truss maybe?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

I'm hoping for someone mad enough to be easy for Labour to beat but not so mental that they could do some crazy **** pre any more elections.

Truss maybe?

That would just be bl**dy marvellous. Would love it 😅

2 minutes ago, king canary said:

Truss maybe?

Truss, Javid or Zahawi probably best. Not mad but also not very good.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

Truss, Javid or Zahawi probably best. Not mad but also not very good.

Yeah exactly my thoughts. Glad Wallace isn't running as he'd be a tough one. 

I'd be terrified to see Braverman or Dorries doing some real damage in the time they'd have.