A Load of Squit

New Tory Leader

12 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Alleged illegal tactics.

Australia claimed that they acted in accord with UN Law of the Seas, Article 25 and that the immigrants were acting in contravention of their visa laws and that they were returned to safe waters, as have both Greece and Italy of late when using the tactic of "pushbacks.".

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fen Canary said:

Pushing the boats back towards French waters? Why is that impossible?

Even if it isn’t simply guide them to shore and have a bus waiting to take them to Heathrow 

I am maybe missing something here, but Sunak says no if buts or maybes ‘ there will be no boats ‘ he didn’t say they will reduce. By challenging him by saying there will be boats, but not as many are you saying the policy won’t work ?

Based on current daily boat landings there are around 56 arriving in boats each day. It will take 6 days and £672 million to fill our Rwanda quota. Of course they could be taken to a hotel and processed in 72 hours and those not entitled to claim asylum could be returned. The problem with that is the vast majority will be entitled to asylum.

The Tory MP on QT didn’t even know that Congo and Rwanda were 2 different countries and were warring and consequently was happy to send the guy to from Congo, to Rwanda.

• Haha 1

According to Sundays papers there is a 100 day plan to save the Tories of which one part is to get rid of Sunak and to unite behind Mordaunt.

Personally I think if they even try this they will be even more descimated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Well b back said:

According to Sundays papers there is a 100 day plan to save the Tories of which one part is to get rid of Sunak and to unite behind Mordaunt.

Personally I think if they even try this they will be even more descimated.

They should have chosen Mordaunt in the first place. As it is, she's the best bet for the Conservatives after they've lost.

10 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

They should have chosen Mordaunt in the first place. As it is, she's the best bet for the Conservatives after they've lost.

I think Badenoch would be a better bet myself, I think her views tend to be much closer to the Red Wall/Brexit/Working Class voters (who tend to be more culturally conservative but financially left leaning in my opinion) the Tories will have to win back if they’re going to start becoming any kind of opposition again. Although you get the impression she’d start a fight in an empty room admittedly, she always looks one wrong word away from head butting whoever happens to be closest to her.

Mordaunts views like Starmers seem to change on a whim of whatever is more politically convenient, and the opposition needs a point of difference (or the government to implode) in order to convince the voters to move from the status quo.

I see some people touting Farage but again I think that would be a mistake. While he had the support on the EU and immigration, his financial Thatcherism wouldn’t be a vote winner.

4 minutes ago, littleyellowbirdie said:

Is that what you are really voting for though ? I wouldn’t be shocked if they put Farage in a safe seat, then replaced her with him.

She will be controlled by the group that puts her in power.

I think Dr Poulter has summed it up by defecting and effectively saying the NHS ( which people care about far more than blinkin boats ) is destroyed.

Everything is in such a mess I struggle to see how anybody can sort it out, but what I am looking for is to get rid of the sleaze, and anybody found being naughty either instantly resigning or being sacked.

I hate the fact I am having to vote Labour, but my vote is get the Tory out and in my area that’s Labour. I have even thought long and hard about the local Mayor elections and I will probably even vote to get Andy Street out, which is a bit crazy really, but they have to be punished for all the lies and sleaze.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fen Canary said:

I think Badenoch would be a better bet myself, I think her views tend to be much closer to the Red Wall/Brexit/Working Class voters (who tend to be more culturally conservative but financially left leaning in my opinion) the Tories will have to win back if they’re going to start becoming any kind of opposition again. Although you get the impression she’d start a fight in an empty room admittedly, she always looks one wrong word away from head butting whoever happens to be closest to her.

Mordaunts views like Starmers seem to change on a whim of whatever is more politically convenient, and the opposition needs a point of difference (or the government to implode) in order to convince the voters to move from the status quo.

I see some people touting Farage but again I think that would be a mistake. While he had the support on the EU and immigration, his financial Thatcherism wouldn’t be a vote winner.

Agreed Badenoch would be a better bet if you want to see them totally destroyed. They don’t get it, it’s not Sunak or Mordaunt or anybody else that’s hated, it’s the party and what they have done over the last I suppose 6 years.
I see up in Scotland they are driving a vote of no confidence ! How mad is that ? It’s like Turkeys voting for Christmas, they will lose 1/2 their seats in an election.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Well b back said:

Agreed Badenoch would be a better bet if you want to see them totally destroyed. They don’t get it, it’s not Sunak or Mordaunt or anybody else that’s hated, it’s the party and what they have done over the last I suppose 6 years.
I see up in Scotland they are driving a vote of no confidence ! How mad is that ? It’s like Turkeys voting for Christmas, they will lose 1/2 their seats in an election.

Don’t forget that not everybody has the same middle class Guardian outlook as yourself, too many on here make the mistake thinking that their outlook and life experiences are the same for the rest of the country. What you see as deplorable populism to others is just plain common sense.

You’re correct though I don’t think it matters who is leading them, they’re out for a decade. Since Covid their name is mud so it will take a long time for people to forget.

As for Scotland, that’s for Holyrood which is completely different setup. Calling a vote of no confidence will likely mean a large loss of support for the SNP which is their main goal 

Edited by Fen Canary

Posted (edited)

It really is extraordinary that a person as limited as Mordaunt is likely to be the next leader of the Conservative Party. Are the Tories judging her purely on her ability to carry a sword? 

Obviously whoever takes over will need to hold their seat. Mordaunt is currently in the lead in her constituency by 3% so that is by no means certain. I'm sure she'll stand up and fight though😂

Edited by dylanisabaddog

2 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

It really is extraordinary that a person as limited as Mordaunt is likely to be the next leader of the Conservative Party. Are the Tories judging her purely on her ability to carry a sword? 

IMO, that is exactly what they are doing 😂

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, Well b back said:

I hate the fact I am having to vote Labour, but my vote is get the Tory out and in my area that’s Labour. I have even thought long and hard about the local Mayor elections and I will probably even vote to get Andy Street out, which is a bit crazy really, but they have to be punished for all the lies and sleaze.

Yea, it does seem a bit crazy.   If Andy Street is the guy you want as mayor then maybe vote for him?  Using the mayoral election as an opportunity to protest against different people in a different place does seem a bit silly to me. 

4 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

Yea, it does seem a bit crazy.   If Andy Street is the guy you want as mayor then maybe vote for him?  Using the mayoral election as an opportunity to protest against different people in a different place does seem a bit silly to me.

I don't think it is silly at all - it may be different people and a different place but there is still a strong link to the Tory Party/Government and whilst I think most people would accept that he has been a decent Mayor, it is equally clear that he has been heavily comprised by his misplaced sense of loyalty to the national party/government and as a result on a number of occasions has put his party's interests ahead of what he knows to be in the best interests of the people of the West Midlands that he was elected to represent.

If I lived in the West Midlands, which I don't, that would be reason enough for me to vote against him.

1 hour ago, Herman said:

It's a real Trumpian, nasty campaign. Goldsmith did a rotten, racist and awful campaign but this Hall woman is even worse.

Thankfully she is going to be beaten by quite a large margin 

On 28/04/2024 at 02:06, Well b back said:

To be fair, never changing your vote is almost as pointless as not voting at all.

As others have said, there's going to be a huge labour landslide on the back of little enthusiasm. I think we could be back to hung parliament five years later, which will give another chance at electoral reform.

Not only should these tw@ts be voted out of power but they should be lined up outside Parliament and all the people they've been demonising by telling lies should be allowed to throw rocks at them.

That seems very fair.

• Like 2

I just went to vote for the Police Commissioner. A Lib Dem outside asked me for my name. I told her my initials are YRA. Then I said my surname is Tory hyphen ****.

It made me feel better

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, dylanisabaddog said:

I just went to vote for the Police Commissioner. A Lib Dem outside asked me for my name. I told her my initials are YRA. Then I said my surname is Tory hyphen ****.

It made me feel better

That must have left them very confused

Edited by Barbe bleu
  • Haha 1

Due to the definition of a terrorist I have seen on other threads, I guess me and the members of my family that decided to vote have just become terrorists, by changing our lifelong Tory votes to Labour. Never thought I would see the day, but enough is enough. Reform also stood in the area, so I guess an area that is always Tory is about to turn red.

Also after long consideration I had to vote against Andy Street as he had the word Tory next to his name, had it said independent wouldn’t have hesitated to vote for him. Reckon he will probably hold on though as probably the most decent of a bad bunch, but I guess if he loses the extra funding the West Midlands seem to get will mysteriously disappear into a black hole.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, A Load of Squit said:

Not only should these tw@ts be voted out of power but they should be lined up outside Parliament and all the people they've been demonising by telling lies should be allowed to throw rocks at them.

That seems very fair.

They don’t get, this is why people like me can no longer ( at least through this parliament ) can no longer vote for them. People like myself who know it is a lie vote Labour, people who seem to think it is true vote Reform

I believe the phrase is “you couldn’t make it up”.

IMG_6381.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Extraordinary result in Blackpool South which was a Conservative seat. The turnout was low at around 18,000 but Labour polled around 60% of the vote. Tories and Reform only managed 6,300 between them. 

Screenshot_20240503_051632_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7d4d4a3665b86f3d4cc9a8bb53b1623e.jpgScreenshot_20240503_051650_Chrome.thumb.jpg.7b2aaf58494dde4aa418313526bd2b9b.jpg

• Like 1

Looks like people are tired of right wing nonsense. 👍👍

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Herman said:

Looks like people are tired of right wing nonsense. 👍👍

Seems many are also angry that the Tories claim to be "tough on immigration" yet are overseeing record high levels of it.

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

56 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Seems many are also angry that the Tories claim to be "tough on immigration" yet are overseeing record high levels of it.

I think it’s more like other than a few, nobody is interested. They claim it is a major vote winner, but there are very few I know that put it above sleeze, the cost of living and the NHS.

I am however expecting to be arrested anytime soon as last night I voted Labour ( a first for me ) so according to some posters I am now a terrorist.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

If anything many are angry that the Tories claim to be "tough on immigration" yet are overseeing record high levels of it.

I have canvassed 700 houses recently on behalf of Labour and did so with a friend who represents the Lib Dems. We asked about people's main concerns and they were 

NHS

Rent

Mortgage rates

Education (local issue) 

Economy

The number of people who mentioned immigration was tiny, in fact it was mentioned less than anti social behaviour. 

ASB was mentioned mainly by older people who are intimidated by kids wearing hoodies. The kids haven't actually done anything wrong! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2