Jim Smith

Alex Tettey remains our best central midfielder

Time and time again it has been proven by the statistics and the performances.

so quite why it’s so blindly accepted he should be on the bench whilst average champ teams pass through our midfield is a bit beyond me.

i really hoe Sorensen gets a chance soon because he looks good based on the very limited evidence so far but I worry that Farke has a blind spot in the CM position. Our front 5 will cause any teams problems so let’s give them a decent base to work off!

Why? Deal with that next season. If we are in the premier there is no way in the world Kenny Mclean should be starting for us yet he’s in? Skipp won’t even be at the club. That excuse is nonsense. 

• Like 5

Don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Skipp could stay if we went up. His performance today was worrying though after a very bright one at Huddersfield. I can see Tettey being back within three games.

A few things....

1- we need to be patient with Skipp. Yes he has pedigree but he's 20 and has never played more than 10 first team games in a season. He's not going to a beacon of consistency straight away.

2- until you've seen Sorenson play its difficult to say Tettey is definitely the better option. 

3- in this set up I'm still not 100% sure what Farke wants from the sitting two. In my mind, if you're employing 3 attacking midfielders like Cantwell, Dowell and Placheta along with attacking fullbacks, then you're deeper two need to be a platform of solid defensive play and simple passing to allow those 6 attacking players to do their thing. There is part of me that thinks Sorenson/Tettey combined with Skipp could provide that rather than shoehorning in McLean as the jack of a trades type.

26 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Why? Deal with that next season. If we are in the premier there is no way in the world Kenny Mclean should be starting for us yet he’s in? Skipp won’t even be at the club. That excuse is nonsense. 

They extended Kenny's contract by a year, so Farke obviously rates him. Agree that Tettey would offer more alongside Skipp personally, but Farke doesn't like to change a winning team. May well see changes for the next game, let's wait and see.

46 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

They extended Kenny's contract by a year, so Farke obviously rates him. Agree that Tettey would offer more alongside Skipp personally, but Farke doesn't like to change a winning team. May well see changes for the next game, let's wait and see.

Don't think Tettey has ever played on the left hand side of defensive midfield and Skipp looks to be right sided too, so difficult imo to see both of them playing together. That gives Mclean the advantage.

1 hour ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

I'd take a midfield of Tettey and Vrancic over the one we had today....I'd probably even have Trybull and Leitner

....yet our manager is insistant that we must be building a team round McLean

Thank **** you aren't the manager then

If over nearly 3 years you haven't been able to grasp that those players simply aren't good enough then I pity you. 

1 hour ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Because he isn’t going to be around next season so we have to find some kind of system that works without him now. That simple.

Nor will Skipp. Talk of him being a future spurs captain from some of their fans - even if we go up unlikely he’ll stay with us I think.

1 hour ago, king canary said:

A few things....

1- we need to be patient with Skipp. Yes he has pedigree but he's 20 and has never played more than 10 first team games in a season. He's not going to a beacon of consistency straight away.

2- until you've seen Sorenson play its difficult to say Tettey is definitely the better option. 

3- in this set up I'm still not 100% sure what Farke wants from the sitting two. In my mind, if you're employing 3 attacking midfielders like Cantwell, Dowell and Placheta along with attacking fullbacks, then you're deeper two need to be a platform of solid defensive play and simple passing to allow those 6 attacking players to do their thing. There is part of me that thinks Sorenson/Tettey combined with Skipp could provide that rather than shoehorning in McLean as the jack of a trades type.

Agree with most of that but not so much on Skipp. If a loanee cant hit the ground running, I see little point in sticking with them to help them develop/hope they can get up to speed. That’s not to say I’ve got any issue with Skipp being in the side now (I haven’t), but just that in principle I see little point in being patient with a loanee. 

14 minutes ago, Aggy said:

...Agree with most of that but not so much on Skipp. If a loanee cant hit the ground running, I see little point in sticking with them to help them develop/hope they can get up to speed. That’s not to say I’ve got any issue with Skipp being in the side now (I haven’t), but just that in principle I see little point in being patient with a loanee. 

I do see what you’re saying but if you look at what loanees have achieved for successful Championship sides, maybe we should be making more effort to accommodate them?

12 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I do see what you’re saying but if you look at what loanees have achieved for successful Championship sides, maybe we should be making more effort to accommodate them?

I don’t think it’s about making the effort to accommodate them and it’s not necessarily saying they aren’t good enough. Kane didn’t get many chances here, but that was just because there were better, fitter, more in-form alternatives at the time - not because he wasn’t ever going to be good enough. But if a loanee is blowing hot and cold (or just all cold) then i think I’d be tempted to use them as an impact player rather than keeping them in the first team in the hope they might become more consistent. Especially at a club which has an experienced proven alternative and a couple of their own young prospects. I’d rather our own youngsters were blowing hot and cold and hopefully developing to build consistency and experience rather than a player who won’t be here next year. 

As above though, that’s a general comment and not meant to apply specifically to Skipp so far. If, as his first performances suggest he might well be able to, he can help us win games, happy for him to be in the side.

• Like 1

Whilst I'm not a Kenny McClean critic he's not one who should always be the first name (after Krul) on the teamsheet, especially when you consider all the alternatives.

He is solid whilst rarely making much of a crucial impact on games. Usually always a six out of ten.

It's got to the stage that I'm hoping he picks up a slight nigggle that causes him to be unselectable for two or three games so that we can experience these alternatives, including Tettey.

We seem to be placing a lot of hope upon young Skipp. He had a good first game, but was poorer yesterday.

Along with McClean he is as far from being an automatic choice, imo. He needs time to grow into the game and he has a bit to learn. Why else did Spurs loan him out for the season?

We are developing him for Tottenham's benefit, but we do that with lower league clubs as well. So no beef.  

Oliver Skipp has only just turned 20, it was his birthday this week. He is an absolute baby in terms of Championship experience. In view of that, Daniel will be pleased with his two performances as he has shown that he has a lot to offer the team. He has much to learn, his performances will be patchy, he won't play every game, but in terms of his development as a 20 year old, he looks like he could be heading for a tremendous career at Championship level or maybe above. 

Give him 10 games coupled by enough rest, and by the turn of the year he could be the fulcrum around which this team turns.

FWIW the penalty decision against Skipp was shameful.

6 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

If over nearly 3 years you haven't been able to grasp that those players simply aren't good enough then I pity you. 

...yet these players were part of the squad that won this league 2 seasons ago

8 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I know Farke rates him and that is becoming a problem because he’s really not playing well or indeed very good in that position and we are not gaining the control of the midfield area in games that we should have. 

I basically agree that we lost the central midfield battle yesterday. Tettey would have improved us imo

We've spent big on a striker this window, but may not play him if Pukki and Idah play well. 

Perhaps it would have been worth bringing in a quality centre midfielder - a Yousseff Safri type. Especially because in Farke's system it looks so crucial that we are able to pass through the initial press from the opposition often around our penalty area. Otherwise we end up going long as so often happened yesterday.

9 hours ago, Jerrykerry said:

I think Tettey, Vrancic, Leitner and Trybull are all better CM than McLean & Skipp. They proved that the season before last. Have you not noticed that the level of football fluency and entertainment has gone down 90% ? Why are you on here promoting inferior players ?

I know some people prefer British born and bull doggedness - so stuff the foreigners but at the expense of the team ? - I don't know who is to be pitied ? I know - those that have to endure the current style of football !  You wouldn't know any better !

I think you have to look at a few of the additional reason why we looked 2nd best in midfield yesterday. Firstly Cantwell didn’t have a great game and is lightweight, stipermann when he drops in as the 3rd midfielder has more physicality about him. Dowell going off too had an impact, we tend to like one winger and one player who tucks in and comes central, for 60 mins we had two wingers and therefore were more open. I personally thought skipp had a poor first half but was much much improved after the break, can see him playing well with Buendia (big if he stays) as they both like short, sharp passing. My biggest concern yesterday was the left back, you don’t realise how much you miss a player until he has gone and we miss Lewis for his pace and engine up and down the wing

Edited by Big O
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, The Real Buh said:

We’ve reached that point in the season that tettey comes back and plays every remaining game 

How many seasons has he started the season as backup with everyone saying his legs have gone only to end the season as the first midfielder on the team sheet?

Two games in must be a new record.

4 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

How many seasons has he started the season as backup with everyone saying his legs have gone only to end the season as the first midfielder on the team sheet?

Two games in must be a new record.

The guy is a beast 💪 

The one midfield player that impressed me yesterday and has always looked liked the driving force behind Preston is Alan Browne

That's the kind of player we should have looked to pick up. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Rich T The Biscuit said:

The one midfield player that impressed me yesterday and has always looked liked the driving force behind Preston is Alan Browne

That's the kind of player we should have looked to pick up. 

Yes tempt AN with a multiple offer - Skipp and McLean for Browne.

27 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

Are we writing Skipp off already? When he was very good last week? Blimey. 

It's pretty easy to go from zero to hero. Just one penelty given away (that should never have been one in the first place) and he's already being written off.

Here's hoping hes back to his best next week and he shuts everyone

I'm in the minority then. Tettey - despite being more solid - has never been good enough with the ball. His passing is nowhere near progressive enough to dominate games. If we want to win games, we need players who can pass forward rather than the simple pass to a man standing on his own at full back.

Tettey is excellent in the role of breaking up play, shielding the defence and then playing a simple ball to a more technically gifted player.

But in order for the centre of our team to really tick, you need a player alongside someone more defensive to play the attacking balls, which is why Vrancic was so effective for us last time at this level, and why Leitner was similarly useful in patches.

At the minute we simply don't have that creative spark in the middle, instead we have McLean covering ground and not much else, so when you play someone alongside him who's also more defensive, be this Tettey, Skipp, Trybull etc, we lose the quality balls to our attacking threats, but with no noticeable improvement in defensive stability or ball retention.

This is the reason why I want Vrancic back in there, or to see whether or not Sorenson can also do that sort of job, because McLean et al have consistently proved they do not have that aspect to their game.

The balance of the side was pretty much destroyed by Dowell going off. It allowed Preston to dominate the middle without any of the front 5 doing a lot to help - Placheta did try on occasion but he's no tackler. That meant Maclean had to sit deeper to allow Skipp to push a bit higher but it didn't really work.

On the basis that Skipp was pretty much responsible for both goals I don't really understand why Maclean is the one getting the most grief again. He wasn't great, but he was a lot better than Skipp yesterday. Also not sure how Quintilla gets such positive reviews - he was dragged out of position the whole match and nowhere to be seen on the second goal when their right back had the freedom of Norwich. He may be better than Lewis going forward (maybe) but defensively he's not currently good enough. It worries me that McCallum has gone out on loan already.

Yesterday was a bit of a mixed bag - Hernandez, Skipp and Zimmermann were all pretty dreadful. Aarons, Pukki, Godfrey all good and the rest very average.

I understand the calls for Vrancic and Buendia for some creativity - but it's Dowell we need to replace and neither of those have his game - Buendia is closer but he would normally replace Cantwell, so I suspect Placheta will keep his place.

10 minutes ago, sgncfc said:

The balance of the side was pretty much destroyed by Dowell going off. It allowed Preston to dominate the middle without any of the front 5 doing a lot to help - Placheta did try on occasion but he's no tackler. That meant Maclean had to sit deeper to allow Skipp to push a bit higher but it didn't really work.

On the basis that Skipp was pretty much responsible for both goals I don't really understand why Maclean is the one getting the most grief again. He wasn't great, but he was a lot better than Skipp yesterday. Also not sure how Quintilla gets such positive reviews - he was dragged out of position the whole match and nowhere to be seen on the second goal when their right back had the freedom of Norwich. He may be better than Lewis going forward (maybe) but defensively he's not currently good enough. It worries me that McCallum has gone out on loan already.

Yesterday was a bit of a mixed bag - Hernandez, Skipp and Zimmermann were all pretty dreadful. Aarons, Pukki, Godfrey all good and the rest very average.

I understand the calls for Vrancic and Buendia for some creativity - but it's Dowell we need to replace and neither of those have his game - Buendia is closer but he would normally replace Cantwell, so I suspect Placheta will keep his place.

Pretty sure most people are enjoying Quintilla beacause he is the first player we have had in some time who is able to cross a ball well

Not that Pukki is really one for headers (Lets be fair his against Preston was a fluke down to bad goalkeeping) but with Idah and Hugill having a fanatstic crosser is a good asset

Edited by cambridgeshire canary