Stiepermann was not even on the bench Saturday , was he carrying an injury or has he just fallen so far down the pecking order . He must have had a mare against Luton.

There's so much competition for the 3 behind the striker, and Stiepermann can only really do the central position. He's going to miss out on being in the squad sometimes, as are others.

I think it's strange that we have two strikers and two defensive midfielders on the bench and don't have a Vrancic or Stiepermann. Surely one of Rupp / Tettey and / or one of Idah / Hugill could be replaced by Stiepermann and / or Vrancic, as they offer something different?

2 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Shame really, he was an absoloute hero for us last time out in the Championship, same as Vrancic yet here we are two seasons later and Farke clearly sees them both as deadwood..

That's a bit absolute, I'm sure they'll both get chances, they just have players ahead of them in the queue right now.

I think it’s better to move forward then to keep looking back, we’ve bought a shed load in with good options, time to think about the future. No doubt if needed can still do a job but I wouldn’t be too dissapointed if Steipermann left.

47 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

I think it's strange that we have two strikers and two defensive midfielders on the bench and don't have a Vrancic or Stiepermann. Surely one of Rupp / Tettey and / or one of Idah / Hugill could be replaced by Stiepermann and / or Vrancic, as they offer something different?

Yeah good point , the more options we have to change things up the better.

57 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Shame really, he was an absoloute hero for us last time out in the Championship, same as Vrancic yet here we are two seasons later and Farke clearly sees them both as deadwood..

Not so sure he seems them as dead wood only time will tell , both amazing at this level last time.

4 minutes ago, Canary dwarf said:

Not so sure he seems them as dead wood only time will tell , both amazing at this level last time.

And both two years older, with the season in the PL highlighting their limitations. Sure, they have some tactical value for specific games, but neither has a long-term future with us if things go as we hope. Shame really because I like them both and the part they played in our last promotion, but we have to evolve.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Vrancic is a solid championship player. I think stiepermann had a lucky season when we went up. Personal opinion 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nuff Said said:

And both two years older, with the season in the PL highlighting their limitations. Sure, they have some tactical value for specific games, but neither has a long-term future with us if things go as we hope. Shame really because I like them both and the part they played in our last promotion, but we have to evolve.

If our new signings come good , it will probably be the end of them but we'll just have to wait see.😁

I’m sure all the players with squad numbers who didn’t feature on Saturday will get their chance in the coming weeks, we have lots of games in a shorter season. The squad is so big that half a dozen or so are going to miss out every week. 

Think Stiepermann will re establish himself as our main starting no.10 ahead of Dowell and Vrancic. His through balls and link up with Pukki and Buendia was a massive reason why our attacking play was so deadly last time. 

Hernandez, Stiepermann Buendia and Pukki is still our best attacking mix imo. Cantwell (who i think will be sold anyway), Placheta and Dowell are great options as well, but those 4 have such good chemistry and understanding and get the best out of each other imo. You have a bit of everything there and they know each others games inside out. Long term Dowell and Placheta will hopefully come good as well, but right now I'd opt for those 4 in attack next game. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ward 3 said:

Vrancic is a solid championship player. I think stiepermann had a lucky season when we went up. Personal opinion 

I don't think Stiepermann had a lucky season, I think he worked his socks off and gave 100% percent every week and despite limited ability made the most of what he has.

The problem is that his work rate and stamina were extraordinary that year, he never stopped running, but he was 27 then, he's 29 now and pushing 30.... limit to how long a player can play like that, and it isn't enough in the league above.

Handy squad member for this season though, with our crazy fixture congestion, and if McCallum proves to be not ready when he gets his shot then Stiepermann is a handy emergency left back cover as well.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

Think Stiepermann will re establish himself as our main starting no.10 ahead of Dowell and Vrancic. His through balls and link up with Pukki and Buendia was a massive reason why our attacking play was so deadly last time. 

Who you dropping out of Buendia, Cantwell and Hernandez to squeeze him in the side then?

Remember that Dowell was playing where Buendia would have been.

• Like 1

It seems to me that Farke, and particularly Webber, are looking to select players this season that are going to be capable of helping the club to survive and thrive in the Premier League if and when we get there again. That's why Trybull and Leitner are out, they couldn't cut it at the top level. Stiepermann is similar, as are Mario and Tettey probably more due to age than anything. 

I don't expect much game time for any of them unless we have several injuries.

9 minutes ago, Beefy is a legend said:

It seems to me that Farke, and particularly Webber, are looking to select players this season that are going to be capable of helping the club to survive and thrive in the Premier League if and when we get there again. That's why Trybull and Leitner are out, they couldn't cut it at the top level. Stiepermann is similar, as are Mario and Tettey probably more due to age than anything. 

Tettey has already publicly made it very clear that he's leaving at the end of this season. 

If i had to choose between Stiepermann and vrancic, its Stiepermann all day long. 

Having watched Stiepermann play football from a few yards away, i know he has a quality and intensity that vrancic doesn't. 

Vrancic will be remembered,  but there is a naivety in those that still think there is something left in that tank. 

16 minutes ago, Chelm Canary said:

If i had to choose between Stiepermann and vrancic, its Stiepermann all day long. 

Having watched Stiepermann play football from a few yards away, i know he has a quality and intensity that vrancic doesn't. 

Vrancic will be remembered,  but there is a naivety in those that still think there is something left in that tank. 

Agreed. Vrancic's legs look shot to me, although when both players go they'll probably be pretty fondly remembered as good players for us after poor starts, and both will be cult favourites in some quarters. In Vrancic's case it would be for some wonderful passes and set pieces. In Stiepermann's case it will be for long-range hits and gloriously quirky goal celebrations. Anyone who manages to clothesline a teammate, hump a photographer after the team hit a famous last-minute equaliser, and pretend to be a crab during celebrations is definitely out of the ordinary.

• Like 1

Never understood the Stiepermann fascination.    In our Championship success, he made a contribution true but still so often the play broke down around him.   He definitely enjoyed a spell where he exceeded his level.   

Some fans suggest he offers us a different dimension, some robust big man option, but the facts and stats don’t bear it out.   Others think he can shoot from distance!    Where’s the evidence?    He scored a couple from outside the area, a peach against Bristol, the QPR keeper should have saved that one and one other from the edge of the box.....There may be others but I can’t recall any screamers!    

Here’s the facts..... technically he’s probably our weakest player..... he doesn’t win tackles or headers, or create chances, or link so well with Pukki (Buendia has always been the main supply for Pukki).    See EPL stats e.g. 24 games (10 sub)...tackles won 40%, duels won 67, lost 127.... aerial battles won 15, lost 56.   Goals 0, assists 0, chances created 1, crosses 6, cross accuracy 0%.      Bear in mind he played when the side where enjoying better results at the start of the season and he hardly contributed at all.    

Take our last pre-season friendly v Darmstadt, a pretty average team.... he was involved in the play 32 times, 15 passes 10 completed / 5 misplaced (66% completion is poor), 1 influential pass, 1 shot and an air shot, 5 tackles, he won 1 (lost 4), 10 ball control attempts of which he lost possession 7 times and 3 times he lost the ball cheaply resulting in counter attacks with overloads against us.  The reason; he shows too much of the ball, doesn’t use his body to protect it properly.   He’s not a powerful player.  He did throw himself to the ground screaming foul (cheated, never a foul) to get us the free-kick from which Martin scored superbly.     It was poor, those stats are not the kind that deserves inclusion in our team.    His confidence is shot, there is little chance with such limited contribution of forcing a way ahead of Buendia, Cantwell, Dowell, Hernandez, Placheta, Martin or Sinani.   Even Vrancic and McLean are better options in that forward role.   Idah has also done a job in that 3 behind.... 10 names there, does anyone really believe he’s ahead of any of them?   

It is looking more and more likely that Marco and Mario will be following Trybull and Leitner.     There seems no point when they could hinder the progress of others e.g Martin.

Edited by ged in the onion bag

4 hours ago, Beefy is a legend said:

Quite so. And add on top of that Farke will be developing both the higher potential and value of the younger players compared to the aging MS and MV. Back up roles for those two now, meaning they will get some starts but the first choices are the younger players in the squad. 

This is a difficult one.

Players like Stiepermann, Vrancic , Leitner and Trybull more than played their part in our promotion season but it seems to have become clear to Farke that their continued existence at Carrow Road will inevitably mean that they are sidelined to the extent that a way out for all four could not be ruled out.

Farke has gone for a whole new set of players who, on paper at least, would seem to be more than useful replacements.

Whilst we concern ourselves with the potential loss of our starlets I would not be at all surprised to see at least a couple of the above four out of the door also. Webber has always been super efficient at unloading the unwanted and Leitner seems to top that list, for one reason or another. The problem is  is that it seems likely that their only genuine destinations would be a return to their homeland which means the returns will be small.

Should our squad survive in it's present form until the window deadline (unlikely) it will possibly be one of the largest that City has had ever.

With a long, hard season ahead, with cramped up games and an abundant injury list seemingly probable this could be seen as an advantage, but it is also possibly too expensive  at a time when income is threatened.

Edited by BroadstairsR

The best attacking unit is the one winning us games. For me, there's no right or wrong answer. 

Cantwell is an incredible talent who did well on Saturday and deserves his spot at the moment IMO. Hernandez was the bright spot of the end of last season. Thought he seemed quiet on Saturday but again deserves a chance. Dowell has looked good whenever I've seen him and I think is very good at this level. Placheta offers us extreme pace even Onel can't keep up with, so is something different. Vrancic I appreciate I've been critical of, but he has a level of creativity the others (except Emi) don't. Buendia is just another level - the sort of player most Premier League sides would gratefully have, let alone Championship. And finally Stiepermann. He has the track record of really producing the goods in this division. He was a disappointment last season, yes, but so was so many others.

There isn't a single Championship side who wouldn't want our attacking midfield options. For me, I think the three I'd go with is Cantwell - Dowell - Buendia with Onel and Placheta off the bench to scare defenders with pace. If Cantwell or Buendia are then sold, I'd expect one Onel or Placheta to take his place with either Vrancic (if Buendia sold) or Stiepermann (if Cantwell sold) to step up to the bench to replace. 

1 hour ago, Terminally Yellow said:

The best attacking unit is the one winning us games. For me, there's no right or wrong answer. 

Cantwell is an incredible talent who did well on Saturday and deserves his spot at the moment IMO. Hernandez was the bright spot of the end of last season. Thought he seemed quiet on Saturday but again deserves a chance. Dowell has looked good whenever I've seen him and I think is very good at this level. Placheta offers us extreme pace even Onel can't keep up with, so is something different. Vrancic I appreciate I've been critical of, but he has a level of creativity the others (except Emi) don't. Buendia is just another level - the sort of player most Premier League sides would gratefully have, let alone Championship. And finally Stiepermann. He has the track record of really producing the goods in this division. He was a disappointment last season, yes, but so was so many others.

There isn't a single Championship side who wouldn't want our attacking midfield options. For me, I think the three I'd go with is Cantwell - Dowell - Buendia with Onel and Placheta off the bench to scare defenders with pace. If Cantwell or Buendia are then sold, I'd expect one Onel or Placheta to take his place with either Vrancic (if Buendia sold) or Stiepermann (if Cantwell sold) to step up to the bench to replace. 

You think MS and MV will be ahead of Martin and Sinani.    That would stifle their development, especially when neither MS / MV will play in EPL again.     It is highly unlikely Steipermann would ever achieve the level he did when he over excelled for that period of time.    His stats are truly awful for a professional footballer.  

Farke has given him plenty of opportunity but I suspect it’s the end of the road.   

Otherwise, as you say, plenty of options, club being run very well as long as we keep Buendia.   

Edited by ged in the onion bag

8 hours ago, ged in the onion bag said:

Never understood the Stiepermann fascination.    In our Championship success, he made a contribution true but still so often the play broke down around him.   He definitely enjoyed a spell where he exceeded his level.   

Some fans suggest he offers us a different dimension, some robust big man option, but the facts and stats don’t bear it out.   Others think he can shoot from distance!    Where’s the evidence?    He scored a couple from outside the area, a peach against Bristol, the QPR keeper should have saved that one and one other from the edge of the box.....There may be others but I can’t recall any screamers!    

Here’s the facts..... technically he’s probably our weakest player..... he doesn’t win tackles or headers, or create chances, or link so well with Pukki (Buendia has always been the main supply for Pukki).    See EPL stats e.g. 24 games (10 sub)...tackles won 40%, duels won 67, lost 127.... aerial battles won 15, lost 56.   Goals 0, assists 0, chances created 1, crosses 6, cross accuracy 0%.      Bear in mind he played when the side where enjoying better results at the start of the season and he hardly contributed at all.    

Take our last pre-season friendly v Darmstadt, a pretty average team.... he was involved in the play 32 times, 15 passes 10 completed / 5 misplaced (66% completion is poor), 1 influential pass, 1 shot and an air shot, 5 tackles, he won 1 (lost 4), 10 ball control attempts of which he lost possession 7 times and 3 times he lost the ball cheaply resulting in counter attacks with overloads against us.  The reason; he shows too much of the ball, doesn’t use his body to protect it properly.   He’s not a powerful player.  He did throw himself to the ground screaming foul (cheated, never a foul) to get us the free-kick from which Martin scored superbly.     It was poor, those stats are not the kind that deserves inclusion in our team.    His confidence is shot, there is little chance with such limited contribution of forcing a way ahead of Buendia, Cantwell, Dowell, Hernandez, Placheta, Martin or Sinani.   Even Vrancic and McLean are better options in that forward role.   Idah has also done a job in that 3 behind.... 10 names there, does anyone really believe he’s ahead of any of them?   

It is looking more and more likely that Marco and Mario will be following Trybull and Leitner.     There seems no point when they could hinder the progress of others e.g Martin.

I agree with all of that, but still assert that his versatility and willingness to pitch in with whatever are still a useful thing to have in the squad this season, I don't think people on here fully appreciate how much additional pressure a 5 week shorter season is going to put on teams, it will result in more injuries and fatique, rotation will be essential. 

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he still ends up with 10-12 appearances this season, wait until we're playing 2 games a week and having to play at Carrow Road on a Saturday, off up north on a Tuesday, then back to Carrow Road the following Saturday, week after week. 

Loads of 'taking one for the team' picking up yellows when knackered in the last 15 minutes, so add suspensions to that list. 

Last season was a disaster with injuries which was probably partly due to the intensity of top level football, well this season the intensity will be even greater with all the additional travelling and no consistent rest pattern. 

We need this big squad (minus the three outcasts), and Stiepermann being able to come on and do 10 minutes out wide, or a game through the middle, or operate as an emergency left back make him a useful player to have in a matchday squad now and again.

He is however nowhere near good enough to be useful at all in the top tier, so this should be his last season at the club. 

Edited by TeemuVanBasten

4 hours ago, BroadstairsR said:

This is a difficult one.

Players like Stiepermann, Vrancic , Leitner and Trybull more than played their part in our promotion season but it seems to have become clear to Farke that their continued existence at Carrow Road will inevitably mean that they are sidelined to the extent that a way out for all four could not be ruled out.

Farke has gone for a whole new set of players who, on paper at least, would seem to be more than useful replacements.

Whilst we concern ourselves with the potential loss of our starlets I would not be at all surprised to see at least a couple of the above four out of the door also

Well nobody would be surprised to see a couple of those four out the door, as two of them are not training with the first team and been told to find other clubs! 

12 hours ago, Christoph Stiepermann said:

This! His link up and height works for pukki, even last year it worked (possibly just without the goal or final result) 

Steepi defo brings the best out of pukki with his through balls.

But it's great having options to choose from cantwell, dowell, EMI and mario