cambridgeshire canary

embarrassing loss and sign of things to come or just an unexperenced team minus 15 players ?

2 hours ago, BigGrantsTash said:

I agree with what your saying as regards to the other players starting ahead of those today. I still think a lot of players that played today would be first choice backups. A bit of poor form or injuries could see some of them making 20-30 appearances next season. 

I agree in reflection I probably have overplayed the strength of team we put out today. I think it was probably a reaction to what I believe was people underplaying the squad we put out. It obviously wasn’t our first choice but imo it was still better than the Luton team.

I do believe it was a poor performance and result though obviously not the end of the world. Put it this way. I doubt Farke is to happy or as ready to dismiss the result when the players debrief. I’m sure we both agree we desperately need to win and snap this losing streak though and here’s hoping it starts next Saturday.

Absolutely, let's just hope for a better result in the league!

2 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Is that as important as it used to be?

Unless you’re playing at Carrow Road, yes it still has an advantage. 😉

33 minutes ago, Making Plans said:

So much for the depth of quality in our squad then.

It was a reasonable team we put out with probably 5 or 6 players who are going to figure in the starting XI this season.

If we lose 2 or 3 more of our better players in the transfer window and another couple get injured long term then we're not going to be tearing this league apart.

They still had slightly the better of it against a rival championship side for much of the game. Which I think shows we do have good depth. It only went wrong after we had to move our best central midfielder to centre back this weakening both areas of the team. We saw how that can undermine everything last season. It mustn’t happen in the league this season, ever. 

Poor from Zimmerman for their second goal, two half hearted air kicks is not good enough. That was hardly John Terry like, he'd have taken a boot to the head to get that clear. Its difficult to judge whether to be concerned based on this but we keep setting club records with this poor defence we should be beating Luton. We have at least now signed a centre back I hope to god he's better than our current crop

Although I wasn’t totally convinced, I did have a big feeling right from the start that we were going to lose the game. We did have quite a lot of experience in the squad, but here are my thoughts about the players - watched the game on iFollow

Barden: 19 year old just signed up from the academy, making debut. Inexperienced and personally I think he’s either 4th or 5th choice. Made some good saves

Mumba: Think he’s 3rd choice behind Aarons and Byram. Thought he had quite a good game considering he’s only 18 and no 2nd tier experience 

McCallum: Think he’s 3rd choice behind Lewis and Quintilla. Not great - only 20 a few days ago and no 2nd tier experience

Zimmerman: Think he’s ahead of Hanley in the pecking order, and may possibly start next weekend - will have to see 

Klose: Have always admired him. Our most experienced CB and for a very long time have disagreed with others’ negative views on him. I think I have to agree now that unfortunately at the age of 32 he is past it, although I feel this is mainly down to his injury proneness - thought him and Zimbo formed a decent partnership

Tettey: Our most experienced player on the pitch. However, very little experience at CB and too old - was still goalless until Klose got injured.

Rupp: Although there has been a lot of criticism of him personally I don’t think he’s to bad a player and will do ok for us this season.

Dowell: Ever since we signed him have thought he’s going to do brilliantly for us. Was our best player on the pitch and only playing on the wing because Emi’s suspended and other wingers on international duty. Think he’ll take over from Stiepermann next weekend 

Stiepermann: Did brilliantly for us in our last Championship season, but poor performance last season and don’t know whether this has affected his form in any way - will see over the course of this season.

Martin: Inexperienced. Had a decent pre season but I’m not convinced he’ll get much game time this season

Hugill: Think he’s 3rd choice though may be 2nd. Was disappointed by his performance, although has had very little game time for us

Vrancic: In the final year of his contract and past it. Don’t think he’ll get much game time this season 

Hernandez: A great player and would have started had it not been down to his injury. Think the competition between him and Cantwell is very tight

Sitti: Barely any game time for us and inexperienced. If he plays again for us this season I think it will only be either in the FA Cup or if the squad is torn up with injuries/suspensions

Overall I’m not bothered by the defeat as I think the cup means nothing to us and that we need to focus on the league only in order to try and bounce straight back up. Maybe the result was a little bit embarrassing when you compare our team strength to Luton’s, but there were more embarrassing results - Huddersfield lost to Rochdale, Birmingham lost to Cambridge, Cardiff lost to Northampton, and Swansea lost to Newport

It’s pretty obvious but we really have to stop this run now. We can wheel out the excuses for today but a defeat next weekend is pretty disasterous. Not that I agree with many of the excuses for  today either.

I’m not In the slightest bothered about exiting the cup, I’m more bothered about THAT record and now it’s 12 games it’s bloody embarrassing.
Mr Farke will have to seriously look over his shoulder now,....as in 3 games time he’s likely to be out on his ear, and in my opinion, rightly so. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

I doubt it.

We have to look at the season as a whole, and our primary concern HAS to be getting straight back up, and an extended set of games in an already compacted season doesn't help this goal in the slightest.

I'd not care if we crashed out of the FA cup straightaway either if it meant we got where we needed to be on the final day.

Couldn't agree more. This season is too compacted to fight on too many fronts.

You think we’d sign all of those players and then give the manager (one who won this league last time we were in it) only three games? Do me a favour. 

• Like 1

The potential is there for a lingering hangover but I don’t think it’s going to happen. Ideal opponents next week to make an early statement of intent. 

5 hours ago, Adelaide Canary said:

Poor. Poor. Poor. As Theresa May said in 2017 "Nothing has changed". Crap defence, and a losing mentality permuates from board level down throughout the club. Top 2 - **** off!!

Calm down dear!

19 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

You think we’d sign all of those players and then give the manager (one who won this league last time we were in it) only three games? Do me a favour. 

It’s not 3 games , it’s the previous 12 games before it. Plus the shambles of a season before that. Any other team, apart from nice old Norwich would have already disposed. Get real ffs, are you not embarrassed by this run, the worst in our history?,

Edited by Sideshow Tim

Agreed, there are too many excuses for what has happened over the last 12 months. If I'd have performed consistently this badly at work i'd be long gone. These guys are paid a lot of money to stop crosses, head the thing away if it does come in, stick your body on the line. We can't defend whether we have first or second choice players in. Someone needs to get some archive clips of Terry or Butcher if they need to see what it should mean to keep the bloody ball out of the net. The club has put the facilities in place for these guys not to fail, they need to do better they must do better. They are paid to do a job and some of them aren't doing it

• Like 1

As great as last season in the Champs was, that’s history now and we are on the worst losing streak in our history. Farke has been given new players, top facilities and free reign to train and instruct as he sees fit, now it’s time to see results. 3 games, probably not, but let’s say we go 5 at the start without a win making it 17 games without victory? Questions will rightly be asked. I do agree with some posters who point out that if you put aside the title-winning Champs season he’d be fired by now on results alone. I can’t see many clubs putting up with 12 straight defeats regardless of league or competition.

Edited by Canary Wundaboy

11 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

As great as last season in the Champs was, that’s history now and we are on the worst losing streak in our history. Farke has been given new players, top facilities and free reign to train and instruct as he sees fit, now it’s time to see results. 3 games, probably not, but let’s say we go 5 at the start without a win making it 17 games without victory? Questions will rightly be asked. I do agree with some posters who point out that if you put aside the title-winning Champs season he’d be fired by now on results alone. I can’t see many clubs putting up with 12 straight defeats regardless of league or competition.

'If you put aside the championship winning season' ?!?

...thats quite a significant chunk (33.3%) to be putting aside?????

How many times have we heard after match interviews like Zimmermann’s yesterday, hope we don’t hear it next week, and the week after............

11 minutes ago, GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary said:

'If you put aside the championship winning season' ?!?

...thats quite a significant chunk (33.3%) to be putting aside?????

Yeah, it is. But we accuse other clubs of dwelling in the past, what Farke needs to do is produce results here and now. He got a free shot at the EPL season (rightly or wrongly) but we’re now on a very poor run and the title win doesn’t give him protection from very valid criticism now when we’ve set a new club record for straight defeats. He’s been given a lot of faith by the club and by the majority of fans too, but this is a results business and he needs to start producing.

I Like Farke but he keeps saying he can't be too critical of the lads, and we had a lot of players out and we lost one to injury etc. Surely he needs to be critical they bloody lost and conceded poor goals again. I remember last year the brilliant Sheffield Utd keeper made a howler, their manager didn't say I can't be too critical of the lad, he bloody well told him it wasn't good enough. I'm beginning to wonder if Farke is too nice to be a manager. It's a sport, they are young lads in their prime of life, paid incredibly well to do a job, so do your job. Don't worry about how good you hair looks or how nice your car is or how many nice watches you've got, win a bloody football match.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sideshow Tim said:

It’s not 3 games , it’s the previous 12 games before it. Plus the shambles of a season before that. Any other team, apart from nice old Norwich would have already disposed. Get real ffs, are you not embarrassed by this run, the worst in our history?,

As I’ve said in another thread this is a new season with a new squad in a new division, it’s a clean slate for me. What happens over the next twelve games is far more important. 

Im not embarrassed as my glass is half full but even if I was that doesn’t change the fact that they won’t be sacking anybody after three games! Ridiculous to even be suggested. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BigGrantsTash said:

Hugill, Steipermann, Dowell, Tettey, Rupp, Hernandez, Vrancic, Klose and Zimmerman all first team players.

No they are not. All things being equal Tettey, Dowell, Zimmerman And Hernandez would be first team players, the others are squad players. Hernandez was injured and didn’t play last night. So that’s 3/9 first teamers in that case. 

to be fair, Norwich Reserves held another Championship club for 81 minutes. Too many compact games anyway. Blessing in disguise.

Edited by Michael Starr

1 hour ago, Mullet said:

I Like Farke but he keeps saying he can't be too critical of the lads, and we had a lot of players out and we lost one to injury etc. Surely he needs to be critical they bloody lost and conceded poor goals again. I remember last year the brilliant Sheffield Utd keeper made a howler, their manager didn't say I can't be too critical of the lad, he bloody well told him it wasn't good enough. I'm beginning to wonder if Farke is too nice to be a manager. It's a sport, they are young lads in their prime of life, paid incredibly well to do a job, so do your job. Don't worry about how good you hair looks or how nice your car is or how many nice watches you've got, win a bloody football match.

I remember going to see a Q&A with Farke hosted by the NCFSC a few weeks after he took over.

Someone asked a question from the floor along the lines of: "What kind of manager are you? Are you the sort of manager who is kind and supportive to the players, or are you tough with them?"

His reply (verbatim): "Well, sometimes you have to be tough with the guys, and sometimes you have to give them cheesecake."

I think the takeaway from that comment is that almost all managers have the ability to do both; they know when to put an arm round a player, and when to give him a rocket. The same applies collectively... do you give the players the belief that they can turn things around by reminding them how good they are, or by unleashing the hairdryer when they're playing like dogs?

Nobody knows what happens in that dressing room, but I can't imagine Farke as a shrinking violet who will just say "there there, let's try again next week". Publicly criticising a player (or the team) is fraught with danger, and some of the best managers in history have insulated their players from the criticism of fans and media by insisting that the blame be laid on their doorstep as the man who picks the team and the tactics. I'm sure if Farke started tearing a strip off individuals - or the team in general - in the media, there would be fans questioning his ability to manage the dressing room.

We have a squad that's big enough and good enough to win this league. We have a manager and a tactical system that has already won this league. While we're still within touching distance of the top two, trust in the man and trust in the methods. Ultimately, if we're sitting in the bottom half in a couple of months, I very much doubt that Webber will be scared to roll the dice; he's a careerist who wants another promotion on that CV come hell or high water.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

We have a squad that's big enough and good enough to win this league. We have a manager and a tactical system that has already won this league. While we're still within touching distance of the top two, trust in the man and trust in the methods. Ultimately, if we're sitting in the bottom half in a couple of months, I very much doubt that Webber will be scared to roll the dice; he's a careerist who wants another promotion on that CV come hell or high water.

Absolutely spot on. 

14 hours ago, Indy_Bones said:

I doubt it.

We have to look at the season as a whole, and our primary concern HAS to be getting straight back up, and an extended set of games in an already compacted season doesn't help this goal in the slightest.

I'd not care if we crashed out of the FA cup straightaway either if it meant we got where we needed to be on the final day.

Totally agree with you there. When I was a kid I was always disappointed when we went out of the cup as it’s another opportunity to win a trophy but then my Dad pointed out to me how likely do you think we are to win it? Not very, and it’s also just another opportunity for injuries, fatigue and suspensions. What did it result in last time we won it, also when Wigan and Portsmouth won it and Hull reached the final? RELEGATION. In our League One season we were behind Leeds for quite a while - Leeds went on a good cup run though including a win at Old Trafford and that “Spainboy” guy was on here saying “you’ll never get past us now”, but the cup proved a distraction for them and we finished top with Leeds only just making runners up spot.

Surely our season objective is to bounce straight back up? To do that we need to concentrate solely on the league. I have to admit this record run of defeats is rather embarrassing, but there were more embarrassing results yesterday: Huddersfield lost 1-0 at home to L1 Rochdale, Cardiff lost 3-0 away to L1 Northampton, and Birmingham lost 1-0 at home to L2 Cambridge!

I’m not bothered about us crashing out the cup either, and until we become an established mid/top half PL side the cup will mean nothing to me.

2 hours ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Yeah, it is. But we accuse other clubs of dwelling in the past, what Farke needs to do is produce results here and now. He got a free shot at the EPL season (rightly or wrongly) but we’re now on a very poor run and the title win doesn’t give him protection from very valid criticism now when we’ve set a new club record for straight defeats. He’s been given a lot of faith by the club and by the majority of fans too, but this is a results business and he needs to start producing.

There's a big difference between fans living in the past and the club judging a manager on....his time managing the club.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mullet said:

All people in business - and this is a business - need a degree of pressure of them to perform. Whether they are aware of that or not.

Farke has the safest job in Europe and that is not a good thing. 

Delia has not got a strong record of sacking people, you almost have to sack yourself to get out of the Carrow Road hot seat. 

A club in Norwich's situation would have very likely sacked Farke by now, or at there very least, give him 10 games to see how things go. Not here however. 

Unless we head to League One, I don't believe there is hope in hell of him being handed his P45 as he is currently keeping Norwich City in Delia's preferred league. 

I don't want Farke sacked - but if we have a bad start, he must go. 

It's not the fact that we are out of the league cup that annoys me it's the fact we are now habitual losers. Some on here are saying better be out the cup and concentrate on promotion, I would rather we start winning some games, cups included to get some confidence so that we don't end up at the wrong end of the championship. If we keep up this record or somewhere near it we will go down obviously