Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

11 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think Placheta is going to surprise a few people next season. We'll be playing deeper and the opposition will be playing higher, leaving more space on the counter. He still looks very raw, but with 26-man squads there's every chance he could go to the Euros this summer, and that could really boost his confidence. I trust our coaching team to get better out of him next year, despite the higher level.

Yep! I remember the last time we went up many on here were calling for Cantwell to go out on loan to a Championship level club as he had not done enough to secure a regular starting place in that promotion year. He was undoubtedly one of the few PL successes the following season. Placheta may well prove the same. One thingĀ for sure is that Farke rates him highly and will make exactly the right judgement regarding his development next season.

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

Yep! I remember the last time we went up many on here were calling for Cantwell to go out on loan to a Championship level club as he had not done enough to secure a regular starting place in that promotion year. He was undoubtedly one of the few PL successes the following season. Placheta may well prove the same. One thingĀ for sure is that Farke rates him highly and will make exactly the right judgement regarding his development next season.

The thing is we could all see what sort of a player Cantwell was, we knew he was technically good but just needed the physical and confidence aspects of his game to improve. My worry with Placheta is that technically he hasn't looked great, his passing seems a bit erratic and his positioning is sometimes so deep for a player who should be offering an option for a fast breakaway.Ā 

Im not saying he canā€™t improve, Iā€™d just say he has a bigger mountain than Todd to climb in my opinion, he would need to improve a lot to look good in the championship at the moment, let along the top flight.

• Like 1

West Brom hadĀ a Turkish centralĀ midfielder on loan second half of the season from Spain and he was really good apparently. Could do worse than look at him. Okay something was his name. Their fans seem to think they might have stayed up if theyā€™d had him all seasonĀ 

1 hour ago, horsefly said:

I hope you are right but whenever I watch him his decision making is awful and his touch not always great either. Iā€™m sure that with more confidence some of that improves but Iā€™m still hugely unconvinced.Ā 

7 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

West Brom hadĀ a Turkish centralĀ midfielder on loan second half of the season from Spain and he was really good apparently. Could do worse than look at him. Okay something was his name. Their fans seem to think they might have stayed up if theyā€™d had him all seasonĀ 

The Guardian has this piece, but I imagine most would not want to be in another relegation fight:

Ā 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2021/may/12/premier-league-players-relegated-clubs-transfer-targets-fulham-west-brom-sheffield-united

Ā 

4 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

The Guardian has this piece, but I imagine most would not want to be in another relegation fight:

Ā 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/who-scored-blog/2021/may/12/premier-league-players-relegated-clubs-transfer-targets-fulham-west-brom-sheffield-united

Ā 

Jim, you probably mean this player, from Below The Line comments:

Ā 

avedyk

Okay Yokuşlu has been pretty impressive. He could easily play for any mid-table club

Ā 

He has, he's been superb. Good attitude off the pitch too apparently. I'd love to keep him.

6 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Ā 

Ā 

Jaochim Andersen has been fantastic but I'd imagine he'll get offers from clubs further up the food chain, as will Berge and Pereria.Ā 

Interesting on Ampadu, my impression was he'd struggled this season?

6 minutes ago, king canary said:

Jaochim Andersen has been fantastic but I'd imagine he'll get offers from clubs further up the food chain, as will Berge and Pereria.Ā 

Interesting on Ampadu, my impression was he'd struggled this season?

'my impression was he'd struggled this season?'

Ā 

Just like all of Sheffield United then

Why would we be looking to move Onel on?

He was by far and away our best player* in the Premier League when he got his run of games at the end of the season. This will not have gone unnoticed on Farke and Webber. He may well be one of those players that actually better suits playing in the Premier League rather than the Championship. Regardless, I highly doubt weā€™ll see any of our physically stronger established members of the squad moved on this summerĀ to be honest.

*during that spell of games.

Edited by Alex Moss
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, Alex Moss said:

He was by far and away our best player in the Premier League when he got his run of games at the end of the season. This will not have gone unnoticed on Farke and Webber. He may well be one of those players that actually better suits playing in the Premier League rather than the Championship. Regardless, I highly doubt weā€™ll see any of our physically stronger established members of the squad moved on this summerĀ to be honest.

wouldn't have thought so unless a decent bid comes in from someone offering him 1st team football.

More likely Placheta would be loaned out

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Alex Moss said:

He was by far and away our best player in the Premier League when he got his run of games at the end of the season. This will not have gone unnoticed on Farke and Webber. He may well be one of those players that actually better suits playing in the Premier League rather than the Championship. Regardless, I highly doubt weā€™ll see any of our physically stronger established members of the squad moved on this summerĀ to be honest.

A good option from the bench next season when opposing defenders are tiring especially at Carrow road. He loves it here and will be a useful squad member.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Tetteys Jig said:

wouldn't have thought so unless a decent bid comes in from someone offering him 1st team football.

More likely Placheta would be loaned out

I have a feeling Placheta doesnā€™t have to be worried about going out on loan next season.

Plenty didnā€™t, dare I say have the decency, toĀ give LukasĀ Rupp a chance to settle in to this all round new environment. Irrespective of it being the championship, you could see how a bit of time hasĀ benefited the guy.

There are definitely some areas of improvement needed for Placheta, but itā€™s also evident that he does already possess a couple of attributes that will stand him in very good stead for next season indeed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Such as?Ā 

Iā€™m trying to remember where he said it, was one of his long form interviews where he was talking about attitude and it being right to move some of the younger players on that left that first summer... words to that effect. Seemed to suggest they had already decided their future wasnā€™t sticking with us.

3 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:

A good option from the bench next season when opposing defenders are tiring especially at Carrow road. He loves it here and will be a useful squad member.Ā 

Whilst I am happy to have him in the squad, zero goals and zero assists this season (admittedly hindered by injury) tells its own story. Neither of our ā€œwingersā€ (not including Emi and Todd in that) currently demonstrate the decision making qualities and end product we need. We cannot be wasteful next season. I therefore fully expect another wide option to be on the shopping list.Ā 

27 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Jim, you probably mean this player, from Below The Line comments:

Ā 

avedyk

Okay Yokuşlu has been pretty impressive. He could easily play for any mid-table club

Ā 

He has, he's been superb. Good attitude off the pitch too apparently. I'd love to keep him.

Yes thatā€™s him andĀ if financially West Brom could afford him then youā€™d like to think we could too.Ā 

13 hours ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think Placheta is going to surprise a few people next season. We'll be playing deeper and the opposition will be playing higher, leaving more space on the counter. He still looks very raw, but with 26-man squads there's every chance he could go to the Euros this summer, and that could really boost his confidence. I trust our coaching team to get better out of him next year, despite the higher level.

This theory makes sense on paper, but in reality I thought we barely saw Placheta utilise his pace at all this season, nearly every 1 v 1 situation he faced he would chop back inside or go for the easy pass. He also rarely looked for runs in behind, not anything like as often as he should anyway.Ā It seemed to me like he didn't really trust or believe in his own speed.Ā 

He also appeared to struggle with close control and playing through tight situations, he always looked a bit panicky to me andĀ like he had no time on the ball, a lack of composure.

That said, when heĀ gets into areas he deliversĀ good crosses, and he does also have a handy knack of finding himself in promisingĀ  situations and generally staysĀ involved in our play - unlike most youngish wingers who drift in and out of games. So its not all bad at all.Ā 

But I still think any ideas aboutĀ him possiblyĀ 'doing-a-Cantwell' are more than a bit hopeful.Ā Todd's improvement was totallyĀ stark over that pre-season for one, but he also had more about him in the champsĀ the previous season than Placheta has shown in this one IMO.

In all honestyĀ I willĀ expect Placheta to go out on loan next season, or at most feature no moreĀ than he has done this season - depending on injuries. Dowell and probably Hernandez will be seen as the Cantwell / Buendia first-choice back up before Placheta - I also think we'll see Dowell out wide more because we'll have a new signing, or Rupp, as the number 10.Ā 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hank shoots Skyler said:

This theory makes sense on paper, but in reality I thought we barely saw Placheta utilise his pace at all this season, nearly every 1 v 1 situation he faced he would chop back inside or go for the easy pass. He also rarely looked for runs in behind, not anything like as often as he should anyway.Ā It seemed to me like he didn't really trust or believe in his own speed.Ā 

He also appeared to struggle with close control and playing through tight situations, he always looked a bit panicky to me andĀ like he had no time on the ball, a lack of composure.

That said, when heĀ gets into areas he deliversĀ good crosses, and he does also have a handy knack of finding himself in promisingĀ  situations and generally staysĀ involved in our play - unlike most youngish wingers who drift in and out of games. So its not all bad at all.Ā 

But I still think any ideas aboutĀ him possiblyĀ 'doing-a-Cantwell' are more than a bit hopeful.Ā Todd's improvement was totallyĀ stark over that pre-season for one, but he also had more about him in the champsĀ the previous season than Placheta has shown in this one IMO.

In all honestyĀ I willĀ expect Placheta to go out on loan next season, or at most feature no moreĀ than he has done this season - depending on injuries. Dowell and probably Hernandez will be seen as the Cantwell / Buendia first-choice back up before Placheta - I also think we'll see Dowell out wide more because we'll have a new signing, or Rupp, as the number 10.Ā 

Same. He's clearly fast but I've yet to see a performance where he looks like he's got his fullback beaten regularly. I'd expect some inconsistency but when I compare him to previous wingers we've had who came through young (the Murphy twins, Redmond for example) I've not seen much to suggest he's going to suddenly kick on.

59 minutes ago, birchfest said:

Iā€™m trying to remember where he said it, was one of his long form interviews where he was talking about attitude and it being right to move some of the younger players on that left that first summer... words to that effect. Seemed to suggest they had already decided their future wasnā€™t sticking with us.

I think I vaguely Ā remember something about the lack of tracking back and helping the team out defensively. Then there were rumours about the twins not being happy with criticism from fans.Ā 

Generally any transfer rumours about either returning are probably far wide of the mark. I donā€™t even know where theyā€™ve come from??

2 hours ago, king canary said:

Same. He's clearly fast but I've yet to see a performance where he looks like he's got his fullback beaten regularly. I'd expect some inconsistency but when I compare him to previous wingers we've had who came through young (the Murphy twins, Redmond for example) I've not seen much to suggest he's going to suddenly kick on.

Some of it is down to tactics and how Norwich utilise calculated risk. Norwich under Farke don't take many risks in their play. Watch Dimi and Aarons, they more than often turn inside when they come up against a defender in order to retain possession rather than trying to plough down the flanks, Jamal was the same when he was here. Cantwell and Emi do the same.Ā Yes they do run at their fullback at times, but only when the chance/space that is on outweighs the risk of losing the ball, which isn't too often.

He certainly needs to improve positionally to use his pace which can clearly be a good weapon for counter-attacking football so maybe we might see a bit more of him next season against teams like Man City who will try and outplay us. I think his other issue is rash decision making (the same reason we haven't seen much of Onel either) - but that's perhaps being shown up more by the fact we're very fortunate to have a team full of fantastic footballing brains. Cantwell and Buendia barely play a poor pass and in reality that's effectively who he and Onel are competing with for a space in the team.

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, AJ said:

Some of it is down to tactics and how Norwich utilise calculated risk. Norwich under Farke don't take many risks in their play. Watch Dimi and Aarons, they more than often turn inside when they come up against a defender in order to retain possession rather than trying to plough down the flanks, Jamal was the same when he was here. Cantwell and Emi do the same.Ā Yes they do run at their fullback at times, but only when the chance/space that is on outweighs the risk of losing the ball, which isn't too often.

He certainly needs to improve positionally to use his pace which can clearly be a good weapon for counter-attacking football so maybe we might see a bit more of him next season against teams like Man City who will try and outplay us. I think his other issue is rash decision making (the same reason we haven't seen much of Onel either) - but that's perhaps being shown up more by the fact we're very fortunate to have a team full of fantastic footballing brains. Cantwell and Buendia barely play a poor pass and in reality that's effectively who he and Onel are competing with for a space in the team.

I think also given itā€™s PPā€™s first season heā€™s probably tried tooĀ hard to impress at times, and that doesnā€™t always work, in fact it has the opposite effect. I bet once heā€™s more settled and is past the ā€˜new boy trying to impressā€™ stage, weā€™ll start to see good things coming from him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AJ said:

Ā 

I do get that but I've seen wingers in a Farke team absolutely dominate fullbacks at times- not just Emi and Todd but Onel and Josh Murphy both had games in this system where it looked like defenders couldn't lay a glove on them, that is what I haven't yet seen from Placheta.Ā 

Also, to be clear, I'm not expecting it from him every week- players like that are rare and don't often end up in Championship teams. But I'd have expected to see more from him at this point.Ā 

7 hours ago, king canary said:

Er? He had a couple of performances earlier on in the season which were promising, equally he was fast tracked in due to the loss of focus of Cantwell AND Buendia and the injuries to Hernandez and Dowell.

Also, not really sure why you are putting the Murphy's in the same bracket as Redmond. Redmond has made an appearance for England and is an important part of the Southampton squad. He has kicked on, and relatively successfully so. Perhaps not onto the levels of a top six side, but then how often does that happen? Maddison is the most obvious of recent years. Probably Bellamy before that.

As for Placheta... he didn't come through young. We signed him last summer when he was 22. All the others you mention were younger than that when first introduced to the first team squad.

Placheta needed this season to adapt, Farke has said as much really. He's been pushing himself to hard, and like in a game of footy, if you try too hard and don't relax you often try to force the ball and surrender possession. As others have said, he'll be one to keep an eye on next season. Though at the same time, depending on what happens to the squad, he may also go out on loan which wouldn't be a huge shock.

After all, Sinani is out on loan and is a year older.

• Thanks 1

Connor Southwellā€™s recent article re:Ā the attacking options on EDP suggests weā€™re likely to keep faith with Idah and not bring anyone in if Hugill stays. The powers that be suggest Idah can take the Prem by surprise...

Thoughts? Bit of a leap of faith there given how few minutes Idahā€™s clocked up this last season.Ā 

ReĀ Placheta,

1. I think that he will have had a season to develop and get used to a new environment - footballers are not machines - they are young men livingĀ abroad, and this year, without the normal social mechanisms to support him.

2. Norwich will face a very different type of tactical challenge next year. There are bound to be more times when we are under the cosh and an out ball to someone really quick will be helpful to ease the pressure as will having someone who can carry the ball forward giving us a chance to regroup.

I'd be absolutely amazed if we loaned him out - especially as Onel, out other main source of forward pace has had injury issues.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Danke bitte said:

Connor Southwellā€™s recent article re:Ā the attacking options on EDP suggests weā€™re likely to keep faith with Idah and not bring anyone in if Hugill stays. The powers that be suggest Idah can take the Prem by surprise...

Thoughts? Bit of a leap of faith there given how few minutes Idahā€™s clocked up this last season.Ā 

No. I will send nutty Ā£7 (that's the number of league goals scored by Hugill and Idah this season) if we don't sign another first-team squad striker.

I think we will bring in another winger and loan out placheta to a club in a foreign league. Perhaps in Holland or Belgium and I think the first team football will do him good.Ā