Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

12 minutes ago, chicken said:

His shirt to lose. That simple. He never really got a shot in the prem due to injury. Fact remains that despite some horrendous detractors online, who have even stated (as they do) that he is league 1 at best, he is quite possibly our best all round defender.

Yeah agree its his to lose but I think we should be brining in someone who is good enough to take it off him. 

Disagree about best all round defender though- for me Gibson is the better of the two.

• Like 1

Absolutely. We need to sign five or six players who are at least as good as those already here in their positions, centre half and centre forward are probably the most important two of those. 

3 hours ago, king canary said:

Yeah agree its his to lose but I think we should be brining in someone who is good enough to take it off him. 

Disagree about best all round defender though- for me Gibson is the better of the two.

Sorry, best all rounder doesn't make him the best defender. Jack of all trades and master of none some might say. I think Hanley is more dominant physically. If he is replaced as easily as you seem to think he will be, I hope we don't lose out in that area. 

On 24/04/2021 at 09:55, PurpleCanary said:

Perhaps a bit too much. Hanley, Zimmermann and Gibson have racked up 12 yellow cards in 78 starts this season, and he has nine in 19...🤓

I'd argue we're short of a complete **** on the pitch to be honest. We're not always that streetwise or can be bullied a bit, so one rock-hard sod who thinks "right, any of you opposite bastards try that with me and I'm putting you into the dugout" could help us a fair bit.

9 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'd argue we're short of a complete **** on the pitch to be honest. We're not always that streetwise or can be bullied a bit, so one rock-hard sod who thinks "right, any of you opposite bastards try that with me and I'm putting you into the dugout" could help us a fair bit.

I don't disagree, although I wouldn't want us to get quite as streetwise as Bournemouth, who - judging by the fans of other clubs - have a deserved reputation for going some way beyond streetwise into outright cheating. And streetwise is fine if the player doesn't keep getting carded for it!

15 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I see we are now linked with this central defender. That's the third link in a few days. Guess he has the right name to throw a punch! Lots of experience and a no nonsense defender. 

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-defender-named-mohamed-ali-camara-throws-punch-at-henrikh-mkhitaryan-20201204

Fair to say I'm getting a feeling we will be signing a new centreback in the window...

29 minutes ago, sonyc said:

I see we are now linked with this central defender. That's the third link in a few days. Guess he has the right name to throw a punch! Lots of experience and a no nonsense defender. 

https://www.sportbible.com/football/football-news-defender-named-mohamed-ali-camara-throws-punch-at-henrikh-mkhitaryan-20201204

It wasn't even a good punch. Just an arm shot. Mkhitaryan sprang up rather quickly when the referee came over and seemingly none the worse for wear after taking it. If that had been a proper hit, he'd probably have been swaying a bit more and generally been a bit off-balance.

48 minutes ago, TheGunnShow said:

It wasn't even a good punch. Just an arm shot. Mkhitaryan sprang up rather quickly when the referee came over and seemingly none the worse for wear after taking it. If that had been a proper hit, he'd probably have been swaying a bit more and generally been a bit off-balance.

Rather reminds me of Emi's 'punch'..

1 hour ago, sonyc said:

Looks like the sort of defender we will want to compliment Gibson, look comfortable on the ball, can read the game well and also carry the ball in to midfield, which is exactly how we look to play.  His athleticism and height are also an added bonus.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Rather reminds me of Emi's 'punch'..

It was a f-u-c-k-i-n-g gimp flick. It was a spazzy swing with just the arm and it didn't really seem to hit anywhere good. Make a proper fist, turn your body weight into the shot and plant it on the temple. I'll practically guarantee they'll be swaying hard for a bit if you get your weight behind that.

8 minutes ago, Billyboybunters said:

Looks like the sort of defender we will want to compliment Gibson, look comfortable on the ball, can read the game well and also carry the ball in to midfield, which is exactly how we look to play.  His athleticism and height are also an added bonus.

Problem is, we don't need all of our defenders to be good at that. Especially not both CB. It's preferable that they can pass better than Mackay ever could but you do need someone who can mix it up with a bit of physical stuff from time to time. It's why Hanley and Gibson work well together.

Mathieus Pereira worth a look when West Brom get relegated? Or are bigger fish than us likely to be sniffing about? 

36 minutes ago, Ken Hairy said:

Mathieus Pereira worth a look when West Brom get relegated? Or are bigger fish than us likely to be sniffing about? 

Think he’d be too expensive. Wonder if we could go back in for Dennis man. Parma are getting relegated so may want to jump ship. 

52 minutes ago, chicken said:

Problem is, we don't need all of our defenders to be good at that. Especially not both CB. It's preferable that they can pass better than Mackay ever could but you do need someone who can mix it up with a bit of physical stuff from time to time. It's why Hanley and Gibson work well together.

May be he would be good at that too 🤷‍♂️, I am only going from the trusted YouTube highlights reel! 🤣 very clear though that we are in the market for another centre back.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Think he’d be too expensive. Wonder if we could go back in for Dennis man. Parma are getting relegated so may want to jump ship. 

If we got Dennis Man and Ajer that would be half of my football manager business done before even starting the game 😁

• Like 1

14 hours ago, chicken said:

Sorry, best all rounder doesn't make him the best defender. Jack of all trades and master of none some might say. I think Hanley is more dominant physically. If he is replaced as easily as you seem to think he will be, I hope we don't lose out in that area. 

I don't think I ever said it would be easy to replace him? Just that I think he can be upgraded on.

Physicality is obviously important but I think in the Premier League you also need the mental awareness and positioning as much as you need physicality. This is where Gibson is better for me. Last time in the Premier League we conceded quite a few goals but rarely did I feel like our defence was being physically bullied by strikers (that mainly happened in midfield), it was more that they were unable to cope with the superior movement and timing of Premier League strikers.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ken Hairy said:

Good player, but if they get relegated doubt he's going to join us when everyone is pegging us to be relegated too

See we've been linked with that Forest CB again. If we are looking domestically then Dael Fry at Boro worth a look as well. Has been impressive when i've seen him this season. 

1 hour ago, king canary said:

I don't think I ever said it would be easy to replace him? Just that I think he can be upgraded on.

Physicality is obviously important but I think in the Premier League you also need the mental awareness and positioning as much as you need physicality. This is where Gibson is better for me. Last time in the Premier League we conceded quite a few goals but rarely did I feel like our defence was being physically bullied by strikers (that mainly happened in midfield), it was more that they were unable to cope with the superior movement and timing of Premier League strikers.  

I still think that at premier league level the absolutely key position is the defensive midfielder. You need to cut off the supply to the strikers at source. Very few centre backs can cope for 90 minutes with premier league strikers if they are left 1 on 1 with them for most of the game.  Its no coincidence that we've tended to do a bit better when Tettey plays in the prem. I think the jury is out on whether even Skipp is good enough to do that role at that level but obviously he is the best we currently have (accepting of course he in on loan).

I'm torn on Kenny because he's improved a lot this season and played very well but I don;t see a McClean/Skipp combo as strong enough defensively for the premier league. Perhaps Kenny in the no 10 role with Skipp and another behind him. Either way we need at least 1 defensive midfielder this summer, probably 2 if we can;t get Skipp back. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I still think that at premier league level the absolutely key position is the defensive midfielder. You need to cut off the supply to the strikers at source. Very few centre backs can cope for 90 minutes with premier league strikers if they are left 1 on 1 with them for most of the game.  Its no coincidence that we've tended to do a bit better when Tettey plays in the prem. I think the jury is out on whether even Skipp is good enough to do that role at that level but obviously he is the best we currently have (accepting of course he in on loan).

I'm torn on Kenny because he's improved a lot this season and played very well but I don;t see a McClean/Skipp combo as strong enough defensively for the premier league. Perhaps Kenny in the no 10 role with Skipp and another behind him. Either way we need at least 1 defensive midfielder this summer, probably 2 if we can;t get Skipp back. 

I agree that I don't think Kenny and Skipp would be enough. I'd be tempted to push Kenny further forward and have another more solid midfielder next to Skipp/whoever is on that role. 

I know McLean at 10 isn't everyone's cup of tea but even at the next level you can be creative enough with Emi and Todd supported by Aarons and Giannoulis getting forward. You don't need a third creative midfielder in there, you need someone who can get close to Pukki, offer runs from deep for pull backs and also has the energy/drive to get back and help the deeper midfielders when we don't have the ball. Kenny ticks those boxes for me.

Edited by king canary
Kenny not Lenny
  • Like 1

Kenny is a good all round player at championship level. I don’t think his attributes are good enough for the prem though. 
Its hard as he’s so committed and well liked but we need to be realistic and more ruthless this time. We need to improve at least 3 or 4 positions to survive in my opinion. 

38 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

Totally agree. We need another centre back as cover; Andrew O or Famewo would be murdered, given that Godfrey struggled and he was much further on in development, but the crucial area is CDM and we can't rely on Skipp being here, or good enough (yet). I'd like to see a major player in this position - perhaps even a £15-£20m player, because that's where our survival battle will be won or lost. Protecting our centre backs this season has been done very well, but as you say it is a different level of pace and skill in the EPL.

I think Kenny will be a good supplement to a monster CDM, but I also think Rupp can do the running in that position

It is a really interesting debate actually.

I would agree that if we get the recruitment right our midfield base of 2 would see 2 more defensive shields allowing Mclean to play in that 10 role for some games. I think for the balance of the team that can work well. But that requires those 2 central midfielders being new additions, possibly if Skipp came back we know what we would be getting.

I make the point in some games, I can see Mclean or Lungi playing alongside a new defensive midfielder, but if that player was to get injured I would also have concerns. Therefore I feel we need 2 players for the key position, it could be Skipp and another, but more likely 2 new additions. I also feel this is in an ideal world as we do have to upgrade striker number 2, number 10, one more wide player, Centre half and possibly a full back and bring back Nyland. So a busy Summer.

We had this debate the last promotion when we had more attacking full back play and less defensive strength, but I do believe that a nice sold base in those 2 positions allowing Kenny to play further forward will work in some games. Some people said we did not need 2 defensive shields and I agree at times I would rather see us more on the front foot. But with our full backs, Buendia, Mclean, cantwell and pukki you would have a good amount going forward still.

I also would like to see Dowell get his chance in the 10 position, although of course he can challenge Cantwell and Buendia in their roles. But also a new addition to the 10 role that has a record of scoring more goals. We need goals outside of Pukki next year and that 10 position needs to provide them. I cannot see Vrancic or Stiepi playing in that role next season.

It is a fascinating window but I also believe the centre back links we have been part of are of the calibre we need to be looking at. We need to get in strength through the group and bench that is on par or better than what we have.

Edited by smooth

6 minutes ago, smooth said:

I would agree that if we get the recruitment right our midfield base of 2 would see 2 more defensive shields allowing Mclean to play in that 10 role for some games. I think for the balance of the team that can work well. But that requires those 2 central midfielders being new additions, possibly if Skipp came back we know what we would be getting.

I make the point in some games, I can see Mclean or Lungi playing alongside a new defensive midfielder, but if that player was to get injured I would also have concerns. Therefore I feel we need 2 players for the key position, it could be Skipp and another, but more likely 2 new additions. I also feel this is in an ideal world as we do have to upgrade striker number 2, number 10, one more wide player, Centre half and possibly a full back and bring back Nyland. So a busy Summer.

We had this debate the last promotion when we had more attacking full back play and less defensive strength, but I do believe that a nice sold base in those 2 positions allowing Kenny to play further forward will work in some games. Some people said we did not need 2 defensive shields and I agree at times I would rather see us more on the front foot. But with our full backs, Buendia, Mclean, cantwell and pukki you would have a good amount going forward still.

I also would like to see Dowell get his chance in the 10 position, although of course he can challenge Cantwell and Buendia in their roles. But also a new addition to the 10 role that has a record of scoring more goals. We need goals outside of Pukki next year and that 10 position needs to provide them. I cannot see Vrancic or Stiepi playing in that role next season.

It is a fascinating window but I also believe the centre back links we have been part of are of the calibre we need to be looking at. We need to get in strength through the group and bench that is on par or better than what we have.

I think to break it down we basically need a better version of Stiepermann in the number 10 position- physicality, energy and the ability to chip in with crucial goals. Dowell, for me, is not that- he's much more similar to Todd or Emi. So he's more likely to be competition for them rather than starting alongside them.

46 minutes ago, king canary said:

I agree that I don't think Kenny and Skipp would be enough. I'd be tempted to push Kenny further forward and have another more solid midfielder next to Skipp/whoever is on that role. 

I know McLean at 10 isn't everyone's cup of tea but even at the next level you can be creative enough with Emi and Todd supported by Aarons and Giannoulis getting forward. You don't need a third creative midfielder in there, you need someone who can get close to Pukki, offer runs from deep for pull backs and also has the energy/drive to get back and help the deeper midfielders when we don't have the ball. Kenny ticks those boxes for me.

It was notable that Kenny created our last two goals at QPR, I think having been pushed into a more advanced role after Dowell went off?

40 minutes ago, vlad666 said:

Kenny is a good all round player at championship level. I don’t think his attributes are good enough for the prem though. 
Its hard as he’s so committed and well liked but we need to be realistic and more ruthless this time. We need to improve at least 3 or 4 positions to survive in my opinion. 

I'm not sure. We played brillaintly at Everton away 2 seasons ago with him in the advance role and I think he's important as he is one of the best in the air. i think there is a role for him i'm just not sure its his current one.

28 minutes ago, smooth said:

I think Dowell, Kenny and Stiepermann are good enough options for number 10. Dowell is definitely improving and brings goal threat although he can drift out of games at times. I also think Buendia or Cantwell can play there if we bring in another wing option and i'd like to see those two employed there occasionally. I'm not sure, therefore that position will be a priority for us although it will be interesting to see if it is. Get the back 6 right, a quick winger and a better back up striker and I think we can give it a real go. The 2 holding midfielders are the key. I'd like to see a bit more of Sorensen there in the last couple of games because he looks to me to have the attributes but its a big ask to ask him from playing full back for most of the season to playing as a holding midfielder in the premier league. 

I think we could get away with Skipp and McClean at home against the weaker sides but i think aaway or against the top half sides we need that shield in midfield. The biggest disappointment of the last premier league campaign was that Amadou didn;t come off because i think thats what he was brought in for and he did it excellently in that one game v Arsenal. I think he was written off a bit too quickly to be honest after that poor game at Saints playing out of position. 

5 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

I think we could get away with Skipp and McClean at home against the weaker sides but i think aaway or against the top half sides we need that shield in midfield. The biggest disappointment of the last premier league campaign was that Amadou didn;t come off because i think thats what he was brought in for and he did it excellently in that one game v Arsenal. I think he was written off a bit too quickly to be honest after that poor game at Saints playing out of position. 

I almost think the opposite about when you'd deploy Kenny next to Skipp. It was the smaller sides who were often able to bully us in midfield and bypass them with too much ease. While we aren't going to be trying to beat Burnley and co at their own game, a bit of extra steel and defensive discipline in their would be hugely helpful.