Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

1 hour ago, vlad666 said:

Kenny is a good all round player at championship level. I don’t think his attributes are good enough for the prem though. 
Its hard as he’s so committed and well liked but we need to be realistic and more ruthless this time. We need to improve at least 3 or 4 positions to survive in my opinion. 

He gives away the ball too much. A good all round footballer on his day, but would be exposed a lot at Prem level.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, king canary said:

I don't think I ever said it would be easy to replace him? Just that I think he can be upgraded on.

Physicality is obviously important but I think in the Premier League you also need the mental awareness and positioning as much as you need physicality. This is where Gibson is better for me. Last time in the Premier League we conceded quite a few goals but rarely did I feel like our defence was being physically bullied by strikers (that mainly happened in midfield), it was more that they were unable to cope with the superior movement and timing of Premier League strikers.  

First off, I do think you raise good points, but at times you conflict with some of them.

Elsewhere you are suggesting we are short on funds and can't go spending them all on one position. I suspect any player we bring in will be in view of improving the position they are brought in for - and not just in terms of improving the bench. That said, the sort of defender that comes in to be instantly better than Hanley is going to be a similar sort of price to Gibson if not more.

The issue we had last time in the premier league was lack of experience as well as a largely unsettled defence. We looked better when Zimmermann or Hanley were fit because as good as Godfrey is, his inexperience, especially in that position, showed at times. His lack of a consistent CB partnership would have been a huge part of that.

Even at an amateur level, playing next to a CB who knows their position well, makes your job so much easier. I've played full back on both flanks and CB at times, none are my preferred position but having someone alongside you who knows how to marshal their defence is huge. Hanley has done that all season.

If they can bring in a player that is better - great. But it is going to be a gamble that may need time to bed in or another £7.5-10mil proven player.

If we can go on any of the rumours so far, none of the players linked have been rumoured to be going for quite that. If we could sign a couple of slightly younger CB's for around £10mil total I would be happy. A bit of spread betting so you have a chance that at least one of them will come good for us. A bit younger means at least we can bed them in and have learn off of Gibson/Hanley/Zimmermann. Otherwise we risk a Klose sort of approach which means £7.5-8mil on a player that never really gives us his full potential after injuries and no back up.

9 hours ago, Jim Smith said:

See we've been linked with that Forest CB again. If we are looking domestically then Dael Fry at Boro worth a look as well. Has been impressive when i've seen him this season. 

I believe he is quite injury prone. Not what we need

Paddy raised in the Q&A yesterday that Farke has good relationships with both Tuchel and Guardiola so a loan or two from either Chelsea or Man City could be a possibility. Also the French TV deal went sour so could be bargains to be had from Ligue 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Icecream Snow said:

no idea what the keeper was doing though

Own goals aside I suspect he is a player who would fit in well with us, but whether we are really interested/have a hope of signing him is another matter.

33 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

This Duda looks good. Anyone know anything about him?

Oh my it's like a tika taka version of League One. Great finishes for sure but how much time and space in the box?

Edited by Peanuts

Hamza Choudhury. Yes please. Sure its been mentioned, but i will not be scrolling any more than I am due to escape criticism. If Leicester are willing to sell, we should be in.

https://www.footballfancast.com/aston-villa-transfer-rumours/aston-villa-norwich-emi-buendia-transfer-premier-league-dean-smith-ross-barkley-gossip-rumours-news-esl

I know Villa fans are deluded most of the time when it comes to the size of their club and all, but do they really think that of all the clubs Emi could join it would be them?

https://www.footballfancast.com/everton-transfer-rumours/tariq-lamptey-max-aarons-toffees-carlo-ancelotti-norwich-brighton-transfers-gossip-rumours-analysis

Yes, yes they should buy Lampety instead of Aarons. Let us keep him, cheers

Edited by cambridgeshire canary

On 27/04/2021 at 19:49, FatCanary said:

Hamza Choudhury. Yes please. Sure its been mentioned, but i will not be scrolling any more than I am due to escape criticism. If Leicester are willing to sell, we should be in.

He's looked fairly decent at times, hasn't he? Apparently we are tracking him but are not said to be majorly interested, according to those in the know at Pink'un HQ

On 27/04/2021 at 14:10, Jpootz said:

Paddy raised in the Q&A yesterday that Farke has good relationships with both Tuchel and Guardiola so a loan or two from either Chelsea or Man City could be a possibility. Also the French TV deal went sour so could be bargains to be had from Ligue 1.

Liam Delap from Man City is being linked with half the championship... I wonder if he's one we could look at to provide an alternative to Pukki if we send out Idah for a season?

On 27/04/2021 at 14:10, Jpootz said:

It's a shame that Guardiola and Tuchel have very little influence over transfer policies at their clubs, otherwise Farke being friends with them might help.

3 hours ago, AJ said:

He's looked fairly decent at times, hasn't he? Apparently we are tracking him but are not said to be majorly interested, according to those in the know at Pink'un HQ

Baller. Shame we aren't in, but I trust the process.

Not surprised about Hamza Choudhury being shot down, only saw him a few times but never felt he had the touch to play in a Farke midfield, seemed very much a Steve Bruce type of target.

On 29/04/2021 at 13:41, Icecream Snow said:

Not surprised about Hamza Choudhury being shot down, only saw him a few times but never felt he had the touch to play in a Farke midfield, seemed very much a Steve Bruce type of target.

Was never fond of him- Clearly has the talent to be decent but is just another Ben Pearson.

4 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Last season he got around 10 assists and 5 goals in 20 odd apperences for Celtic, but this season has been pretty poor. Worth noting however he played last season at number 10 while this season he's been on the wing so..

2 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'd prefer the other Scottish attacking midfielder Norwich were linked with - Ryan Gauld.

I know you know your onions, Bethnal. I know very little about either beyond Gauld being pretty good on an old version of FM. What is it about Gauld that you think is preferable to Christie?

25 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

I'd prefer the other Scottish attacking midfielder Norwich were linked with - Ryan Gauld.

I'd probably take Turnbull over both of them to be fair.

9 minutes ago, Terminally Yellow said:

I know you know your onions, Bethnal. I know very little about either beyond Gauld being pretty good on an old version of FM. What is it about Gauld that you think is preferable to Christie?

Firstly, Gauld would be free!

But more importantly, I think Gauld is more of an intelligent player than Christie. I haven't watched a huge amount of Scottish football in all honesty, but from what I've read and seen Christie comes across as a player who is good to have, if you are already a good team. He takes a huge volume of shots, many of them in bad locations, which is fine if you dominate games but is pretty terrible if you are only creating a handful of chances per game. 

The mentality jump to go from being at Celtic, a team use to dominating games to one more of Norwich next season, can be difficult. Gauld in Portugal has been the main man for a struggling team and shown that he can make a real difference in games. 

It's not that I'm that down on Christie, it is more that I really like Gauld and he is really showing that potential that many spoke about a few years ago. The only downside of Gauld is he'd be a bit more of the same to what Norwich currently have. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

I'd probably take Turnbull over both of them to be fair.

Yeah, it is a shame that never happened for Norwich.

He has looked a class apart from everyone else at Celtic this season when I've seen them. I imagine he is the player they will be looking to rebuild around - although considering the shambolic way that club appears to be run who knows...

7 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

Say no more! 😂 

Thanks for the assessment. A brief look at some of the stuff posted online seems pretty interesting about Gauld. Seems more positive than about Christie who some Celtic fans seem to think needs to be moved on and is inconsistent.

Going to be an interesting summer, I think.

Linked again with Will Vaulks, this must be the third or fourth window in a row. I just don't really get this link to be honest. From what I've seen of him I'd say good Championship player at best. He's a good character off the park and has a long throw which is useful but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's better than what we have or is worth paying up to 7M for. I've only seen him in games v us though to be fair, does anyone else see more in him that's worth being excited about? 

On 04/05/2021 at 12:45, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

But more importantly, I think Gauld is more of an intelligent player than Christie. I haven't watched a huge amount of Scottish football in all honesty, but from what I've read and seen Christie comes across as a player who is good to have, if you are already a good team. He takes a huge volume of shots, many of them in bad locations, which is fine if you dominate games but is pretty terrible if you are only creating a handful of chances per game. 

The mentality jump to go from being at Celtic, a team use to dominating games to one more of Norwich next season, can be difficult. Gauld in Portugal has been the main man for a struggling team and shown that he can make a real difference in games. 

It's not that I'm that down on Christie, it is more that I really like Gauld and he is really showing that potential that many spoke about a few years ago. The only downside of Gauld is he'd be a bit more of the same to what Norwich currently have. 

From what I've seen of Portugese football they don't erm...seem to put much emphasis on defending to put it lightly. I'd be very wary signing attacking players from that league unless they look truly exceptional, there's nothing to say Christie wouldn't look as good or better given all that space to play in. You rightly note the difference between playing for Celtic vs Norwich but for me it would be more useful to have a player who is used to playing against packed defenses. Yes we won't be able to dominate the big teams but most of the time teams next year are going to sit back and try to hit us on the break so I don't think Christie would have to change his mentality too much. I've seen him play a few times and I quite like the look of him to be honest. 

27 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

The Birmingham Mail seems convinced that Emi is joining villa for 35 to 40 million. 

Would be hard to turn down that much money, but if any club does offer that sort of money and we resist it and/or Emi wants to stay, then it would be demonstrating two very important things - that we don't need to sell players to carry on at the highest level and that the player himself is happy that his career development ambition is able to be met at Norwich.

Edited by lake district canary

28 minutes ago, The Bristol Nest said:

The Birmingham Mail seems convinced that Emi is joining villa for 35 to 40 million. 

I'm not sure they are, they are just reporting on anything Buendia as he has been linked to Villa. Birmingham Mail is a more clickbait full local paper, unlike the Archant which generally try to be a bit more straightforward in their reporting.

The latest piece on Birmingham Mail is how Emi has said he wants to stay at Norwich (which was taken from the Guardian article, which has the same quotes as an earlier Pink'Un interview).