Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

5 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I wish him all the best, and personally think he was the most 'disposable' of our 'big 5', but only for the right price, which it appears Newcastle are willing to pay.

I had concerns about Lewis last season in terms of attacking output (was much weaker in this area than Aarons) as he didn't always seem to utilise his pace enough, nor have any end product if he did, and usually it was either a turn back or pass back instead of looking for a cross or cutting inside.

Hope it goes well for him at Newcastle as he seems a really likeable lad and deserves to be at a higher level than the champs.

I reckon it was lack of cover behind him last season affected his attacking role, with better cover, he will perform to his adventurous best. If he goes Geordie and does well, then real big teams will be seriously interested.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

Disappointed he's gone to Newcastle, if that is the case. Would like him to have gone to a decent club.

Sorry LDC, but WTF are you talking about?

Newcastle are still a big club with massive support. They finished mid-table in the PL last year, a clear 15 points of the bottom, and will give a player like Lewis far more opportunity and game time than if he'd gone to a Liverpool or similar.

They're certainly far better than places like Brighton, Villa, West Ham and Palace, and although Leicester would have been the ideal place, Newcastle certainly aren't rubbish.

4 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:
6 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Disappointed he's gone to Newcastle, if that is the case. Would like him to have gone to a decent club.

They are a great club, do well there and your idolised by 50,000.

In your opinion

1 minute ago, Midlands Yellow said:

They are a great club, do well there and your idolised by 50,000.

I live up in the area and the fans are amongst the most passionate. Lewis, if he progresses, can become a fans favourite. I agree however that of the five Crown jewels he is the one I don't mind going so much. Murphy wasn't given much of a chance by newcastle or their fans. They mostly feel we mugged them for the fee we got. Hopefully Lewis will get time to show how good he can be

Most people's issues with Newcastle as a club are purely because of Mike Ashley, and it's not the fans or players fault if you have someone like that in charge.

That's like calling us an awful club purely because Delia/MWJ are our owners.

If there's some other reason why you dislike them LDC, I'd love to hear it.

1 minute ago, Indy_Bones said:

Sorry LDC, but WTF are you talking about?

Newcastle are still a big club with massive support. They finished mid-table in the PL last year, a clear 15 points of the bottom, and will give a player like Lewis far more opportunity and game time than if he'd gone to a Liverpool or similar.

They're certainly far better than places like Brighton, Villa, West Ham and Palace, and although Leicester would have been the ideal place, Newcastle certainly aren't rubbish.

I don't like Newcastle as a club.  They buy too many flair players to satisfy the urge of their many self-entitled supporters so their team is never balanced - and they rarely achieve anything worthwhile. Yes, they staved off relegation last season, but talk to any Geordie fan and they will tell you they are an unhappy bunch of fans. They don't like having Bruce there, they despise what the owner stands for and does or doesn't do, they think they should be top of the PL, but never ever get anywhere near it, often grovelling down near the bottom or getting relegated.  So much for a "big" club.  I wish Lewis well if he goes there, but plenty of clubs would have been a better development for him as a footballer.  Everton, Leicester - and of the clubs you mention, Palace, Brighton and even West Ham would have been better.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

Most people's issues with Newcastle as a club are purely because of Mike Ashley, and it's not the fans or players fault if you have someone like that in charge.

But perhaps not on this thread.

lets keep this to transfers rather than pages on why LDC doesn’t like Newcastle and why others do 😉

3 minutes ago, rock bus said:

lets keep this to transfers rather than pages on why LDC doesn’t like Newcastle and why others do 😉

Fair point, well made.

I kind of back @lake district canary here. If this does all go through, Newcastle is a bit disappointing for him surely? Yes, it's a fine city and the supporters are an asset. But where are Newcastle going? What kind of football do they play? That's not to take anything away from Steve Bruce, his brief is to keep them in the premier League and he did, but the football isn't pretty, even the majority of their supporters last season didn't enjoy watching it. 

I get that it's going to be a pay rise, another year in the top flight and putting himself in the shop window, I'm just disappointed I guess, thought he could do better (in footballing terms- as in pretty football a la wolves, Leicester, Everton) Maybe I am a little rose tinted and think he's better than he is.

Then there is the price. Big issue. 14m raising to 20m. The initial 14m just seems low, similar to what we got for Murphy and Pritchard, yet Jamal is a full international, has a year in the prem, is young and considering Matty ash has gone for 16m with nil international or premier experience it just seems a touch low.

• Like 1

I think this is a great move.

Lewis has been superb since coming in at left back. That first season he was learning and playing at a great level. The championship season he again moved forward and actually at times this season, lost his place and then once back played really well. Especially after lockdown, I thought there was a bit more fight than other players. 

Against Watford he struggled and then learnt how to play against their winger in the first half.

We know he is a very intelligent lad, football wise has learnt a great deal and as already is an international regular.

I do agree with better players alongside him he will be able to make the most of his attributes.

Delighted if he get a prem move, we picked him up from Luton and developed a great full back.

He deserves a move and delighted if he gets it to a team where they are a steady prem league team. Next season Newcastle do not need to worry about relegation and he just needs to improve game on game and he will have a great season.

3 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

I kind of back @lake district canary here. If this does all go through, Newcastle is a bit disappointing for him surely? Yes, it's a fine city and the supporters are an asset. But where are Newcastle going? What kind of football do they play? That's not to take anything away from Steve Bruce, his brief is to keep them in the premier League and he did, but the football isn't pretty, even the majority of their supporters last season didn't enjoy watching it. 

I get that it's going to be a pay rise, another year in the top flight and putting himself in the shop window, I'm just disappointed I guess, thought he could do better (in footballing terms- as in pretty football a la wolves, Leicester, Everton) Maybe I am a little rose tinted and think he's better than he is.

Then there is the price. Big issue. 14m raising to 20m. The initial 14m just seems low, similar to what we got for Murphy and Pritchard, yet Jamal is a full international, has a year in the prem, is young and considering Matty ash has gone for 16m with nil international or premier experience it just seems a touch low.

I think this is all fair comment. Bruce's football is pretty pedestrian, although Ashley is still desperate to sell the club and even if they can't revive the Saudi deal it's still entirely possible he'll be playing under new owners and a new manager before too long.

Cash went for the same initial fee (£14m), with £2m in add-ons, but the Lewis deal is obviously structured to go a lot higher. Villa are notorious for overpaying, so I think the Lewis deal is about right in the post-Covid marketplace.

12 minutes ago, NeymarSmith said:

A Leicester move would have been ideal, but I didn't hear any rumours of either Everton or Wolves really looking at him, whereas there was interest from places like Palace, and I think Newcastle are a much better choice than the realistic alternatives.

Liverpool would have been a massive move, but he'd have played 2nd fiddle to Robertson constantly and whilst great for his bank balance, could have been poor for his development and career due to lack of playing time.

I get that Newcastle haven't been playing the best looking football under Bruce, but he was working to a remit for survival, managed this comfortably, and all while in the background Ashley was doing everything to wash his hands of the club.

I think it's fantastic that we want the best for one of our young stars, but we can only deal with the clubs that come in, and if they met our valuation and he's happy to go there, then there isn't really much else to say about it.

39 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

I'm delighted Mike Ashley owns NUFC. Long may he continue to do so.

4 minutes ago, Feedthewolf said:

I think this is all fair comment. Bruce's football is pretty pedestrian, although Ashley is still desperate to sell the club and even if they can't revive the Saudi deal it's still entirely possible he'll be playing under new owners and a new manager before too long.

Cash went for the same initial fee (£14m), with £2m in add-ons, but the Lewis deal is obviously structured to go a lot higher. Villa are notorious for overpaying, so I think the Lewis deal is about right in the post-Covid marketplace.

Fair comments @Feedthewolf RE. Post covid prices and sorry didn't realise about Matty cash details.

I'm just a bit disappointed chap to see him go for the price. Especially when Mr Webber did say we didn't need to sell (again, I get that we have to cover the outlay of this window with fees and wages) and that they wouldn't go for less than 20m. £20m was the asking price. (Am I right in saying this? That it's been said that the asking price is £20m)

I suppose also it's sour grapes as we haven't heard any back and forth, it's as though we have taken the very first offer from Newcastle, rather than play the field and see where the next two weeks or so plays out. It always feels to me we get turned over in transfers. (Admittedly it looks like we robbed those clubs blind for both Murphy's and Pritchard, but that is in hindsight and I didn't feel that at the time)

You’d imagine the total value of the transfer with add ons will be around £20m. He clearly wants to leave and we have two other LB’s in the squad, the price in the climate seems pretty good so everyone’s a winner really. Good luck to him for the future. 

Edited by Gordon Bennett

10 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

A Leicester move would have been ideal, but I didn't hear any rumours of either Everton or Wolves really looking at him, whereas there was interest from places like Palace, and I think Newcastle are a much better choice than the realistic alternatives.

Liverpool would have been a massive move, but he'd have played 2nd fiddle to Robertson constantly and whilst great for his bank balance, could have been poor for his development and career due to lack of playing time.

I get that Newcastle haven't been playing the best looking football under Bruce, but he was working to a remit for survival, managed this comfortably, and all while in the background Ashley was doing everything to wash his hands of the club.

I think it's fantastic that we want the best for one of our young stars, but we can only deal with the clubs that come in, and if they met our valuation and he's happy to go there, then there isn't really much else to say about it.

I know chap,  I'm just sour at present. I didn't hear of wolves or Everton interest either, I'm just saying in my opinion they play prettier football and would have liked to have seen him go like that instead. 

And I am confused on if they have met the valuation, I thought it was 20m and we didn't need to sell? Have we just accepted the first offer they gave us?

Kudos to Bruce. Done a great job considering what's happened in the background and the squad. He has hit his target.

I get this is the model, and we have to say goodbye, but just disappointed with the fee rather than his next team 

3 minutes ago, Gordon Bennett said:

You’d imagine the total value of the transfer with add ons will be around £20m. He clearly wants to leave and we have two other LB’s in the squad, the price in the climate seems pretty good so everyone’s a winner really. Good luck to him for the future. 

Good luck indeed.

Let's hope xavi quintilla and McCallum are Good enough

Disappointed with the fee. I think we could have got more for a young international who was the best left back in the league the last time we played at this level. 

However, the writing was on the wall with Lewis. We'd already signed replacements and despite the media statements to the contrary, I think his head had been turned a little bit. 

54 minutes ago, rock bus said:
59 minutes ago, Indy_Bones said:

lets keep this to transfers rather than pages on why LDC doesn’t like Newcastle and why others do

That is not really fair, especially as others seem to agree with me judging by the reactions on my post.

Imagine that “we don’t need to sell unless it’s £20m” might have been true until we splashed a bit of cash and COVID pushed all the prices down and resulted in very little interest. Since it looks like we’ll be keeping the others, and we have ready-made replacements ready to step in for Lewis, if this is the the piece of business we “need” to do then it’s a fair exchange.

1 minute ago, lake district canary said:

That is not really fair, especially as others seem to agree with me judging by the reactions on my post.

But the majority don’t agree. 

11 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Imagine that “we don’t need to sell unless it’s £20m” might have been true until we splashed a bit of cash and COVID pushed all the prices down and resulted in very little interest. Since it looks like we’ll be keeping the others, and we have ready-made replacements ready to step in for Lewis, if this is the the piece of business we “need” to do then it’s a fair exchange.

We don't 'need' to do any, but it is accepted that players will always want to move up where possible - that's how Lewis joined us

The money should ensure that we are still in the position of needing transfer income to stay afloat - and when a player moves it will be our decision, and agreed terms.

I would expect Cantwell and/or Godfrey to move in the next month as well

We won't be getting held over a barrel here. It isn't that magical £20+ million that we all want to see but I have little doubt that the deal will be structured in such a way that it is beneficial now (pretty much pays for our whole summer spend) with potential to add millions on top if he progresses the way we would all love to see in future.

He's the only one out of the 5 that really lost his place in the side last year (from injury and then the form of the man in possession) and the only one we've heard of genuine interest in.

Best of luck Jamal.

I think at the point Webber put the £20m figure out there, we'd had no bids and Jamal had shown no intention of wanting to leave. If Jamal has made it clear he's ready for a new challenge, then naturally that plays into the buying club's hands in the bartering process.

Especially in a post-Covid marketplace, a structured deal rising to £20m with add-ons (presumably based around club and international appearances, plus PL survival) is a pretty fair deal.

• Like 1

If the transfer goes through on the terms )or around) that are being quoted, it is an 'up yours scousers; the mersey side numpties who questioned the idea that 'little ole Norwich' could turn them down, and even think Lewis was worth more

ps if he does go, then good luck to him, he will have worked for, and earned, it

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

It is a mistake to confuse "don't need to sell" with "don't want to sell" or even "quite like to sell". Jamal clearly wanted a move, the club brought in cover and the model requires players to be sold to cover business (at which the club has been very busy). Fee looks the market rate for a Left Back at a sub-Europe level Prem club. All good, fireworks will come if Buendia is moved on. The rationale is proberly the same.

26 minutes ago, Midlands Yellow said:
28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

But the majority don’t agree. 

Who says? People only speak for themselves on here and no-one has the right to say there is a majority one way or the other.

We don't know the exact details of the deal though.

If it's say 14mil + addons + future sell on fee, that could not only equate to 20mil, but potentially even more if he kicks on and gets a bigger move to a top 6 side in a few years.

We clearly have the cover and future player in place with McCallum and Quintilla, and the price seems reasonable in the current scheme of things.

If it had been Aarons, that would be a different kettle of fish.