Bill

Official transfer rumour thread

Wonder if that will include an option/obligation to buy at a specific price if we’re promoted. 

So if he comes In and Ben goes, does the money saved on tracksuits / training gear initialling come off the loan fee in the accounts. Marginal gains.

36 minutes ago, WD40 said:

Wonder if that will include an option/obligation to buy at a specific price if we’re promoted. 

That’s what the Pink Un article quoting Nixon says.

I don't know anything about this guy but for what it's worth...

Edited by Badger
link didn't work properly

Just now, Badger said:
NORWICH. Agreed a deal with Burnley for defender Ben Gibson. Will be a season long loan. Norwich paying 70% of his wages and a £2m loan fee. #Ncfc #BurnleyFc

Got there eventually! I don't know if he is a real journalist let alone reliable but grounds for optimism?

17 minutes ago, Badger said:

Got there eventually! I don't know if he is a real journalist let alone reliable but grounds for optimism?

He seemed to have got Jordan Hugill spot on. Guess we'll see.

2 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I should hope that if we're paying a £2m loan fee there's the option/obligation to buy at a reasonable price.

If we get a 30% haircut on the wages that balances things a bit.

1 minute ago, WD40 said:

If we get a 30% haircut on the wages that balances things a bit.

But he's allegedly on over £40k a week, so 70% of that plus a £2m loan fee would be a total outlay of around £3.5m.

This seems a pretty costly loan deal for a Championship club, so I'd like to think that there would be an option to buy and/or an obligation should we go up and he meets certain conditions (a set number of appearances, for example). 

We Must have some out goings lined up , 

Some of these New signings will expect to be playing most weeks and i imagine have been told that otherwise they would not of come here 

Edited by norfolkngood

52 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

But he's allegedly on over £40k a week, so 70% of that plus a £2m loan fee would be a total outlay of around £3.5m.

This seems a pretty costly loan deal for a Championship club, so I'd like to think that there would be an option to buy and/or an obligation should we go up and he meets certain conditions (a set number of appearances, for example). 

Getting promoted is worth a lot more. Calculated gamble.

Will this signing now placate a good deal of our fans? They wanted a CB and we've got one and the main bloke we wanted too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, sonyc said:

Will this signing now placate a good deal of our fans? They wanted a CB and we've got one and the main bloke we wanted too.

Should do, if it's true. Proven Championship competitor, played at the thick end of it with Middlesborough when we beat them in the play-off final. Strong, good in the air, and likes a battle. Should be an upgrade on Hanley, but how much of an upgrade remains to be seen.

Famewo must be off on loan then if Gibson comes in.

3 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Well if you do the sums it would work out (if true) at just under £30,000 wages and a transfer fee equivalent of £8 million (£2 million amortised over 4 years). I think that this could be pretty cheap if he is good. I guess, no inside knowledge, that the Klose deal deal wouldn't have been too much different and certainly much cheaper than Naismith. The upside of loans is that if it doesn't work out you don't have to keep on paying so is a lower risk.

If he does do well and we are promoted, we would be front runners for his full-time signature.

1 minute ago, Badger said:

Well if you do the sums it would work out (if true) at just under £30,000 wages and a transfer fee equivalent of £8 million (£2 million amortised over 4 years). I think that this could be pretty cheap if he is good. I guess, no inside knowledge, that the Klose deal deal wouldn't have been too much different and certainly much cheaper than Naismith. The upside of loans is that if it doesn't work out you don't have to keep on paying so is a lower risk.

If he does do well and we are promoted, we would be front runners for his full-time signature.

I see what you're saying, that a loan minimises the risk, but the bold part only really works if we have an option/obligation to buy him for the other £6m. Also, if we bought him outright we'd get resale value, which we obviously don't get with a loan.

If true, very interesting figures! Would 25k - 30k a week make him the top earner at the club after relegation cuts? Also a bit of a gamble given the lack of pitch time over the last couple of years, but not a financially crippling one. But if these rumours are true and he comes in, it could potentially be a very astute signing.

Webber & Farke indicated they wanted physical players with Champo experience on top of the other signings - in came Hugill and now possibly their top CB target. If Godfrey stays, I think (on paper) we have a very tidy squad to challenge for the automatics, assuming the lads can shake off the relegation vibes. I wonder what our "jewels" think of the shape the squad is taking? Interesting times! 

There's no way another CB comes in, loan or otherwise, without at least one departure in that area.

I have a little feeling we have a few players that will depart after the internationals are over with.

8 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

I see what you're saying, that a loan minimises the risk, but the bold part only really works if we have an option/obligation to buy him for the other £6m. Also, if we bought him outright we'd get resale value, which we obviously don't get with a loan.

It’s being reported that we will have an option to buy if promoted, for £8m. Which I think will be good business if we can get him back to the sort of form that got him an England contract.

i assume though that he won’t be match hit straight away so won’t start the season in the team. If we start well then Farke won’t change the team includes he has to so he could end up on our bench for a long period!

7 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

There's no way another CB comes in, loan or otherwise, without at least one departure in that area.

I have a little feeling we have a few players that will depart after the internationals are over with.

I think we may sell Godfrey and Cantwell. 

And to be honest if we can get good fees for them then I don’t think that would hurt us too much.  In fact I worry a bit at present that we have too many senior players who will expect to be playing snd Farke won’t be able to keep them all happy. 

7 hours ago, Mason 47 said:

If Gibson comes in, I'd expect Famewo to leave on loan if he's going to stay with a 4-2-3-1. To be honest, I'd be happier if we dropped a midfielder instead as then three at the back becomes a much more likely option. Vrancic will probably be a back-up now, and also Tettey if both Sorensen and Skipp hit the ground running (and especially if Sitti does, although I think he's another who's likely to go on loan).

I'd guess that Stiepermann and Pukki are largely kept together as they had such a partnership going last time out, but if it shows signs of misfiring Steipi will probably be a back-up as well. Hugill will probably get quite a lot of games and I can see him and Pukki rotating quite a lot - Teemu's looked a little jaded since the return from lockdown. If Hernandez or Placheta get a good link with Hugill going, I think Farke will look at the attack in pairs.

47 minutes ago, Jim Smith said:

It’s being reported that we will have an option to buy if promoted, for £8m. Which I think will be good business if we can get him back to the sort of form that got him an England contract.

This is the thing about loans though. If he gets back to the form that got him an England contract and becomes an important and integral part of our promotion winning squad, that option needs to be rock solid so we don’t get gazumped.

Look at Leeds with Ben White. They’re desperately trying to plug that gap in the team now. 

• Like 1

Agree this looks like a great deal if he can get back to the player Burnley signed 18 months ago. If he does well and we get promoted, up to £8m will look like a steal. If he doesn't, we haven't over-committed.

I see we're also being linked to this guy, on today's BBC Gossip:

"Crystal Palace, West Ham, West Brom, Norwich and Watford are interested in 26-year-old French defender Jean-Claude Billong, who plays for Serie B side Salernitana."

Maybe we're looking to completely overhaul our defence - will be very interesting to see the final squad when the window closes.

• Like 1

I think centre half has always been an area where we have often wanted to get that player at his peak and lift a defence.

I would say that Jon Newsome and Matt Jackson are the two that still stand out as improving the back line immensely.

I recall when Fleming signed from Oldham he was regarded as the best one on one central defender.

But since then bassong would be the one who came in and did raise others games for a period of time.

Gibson feels like a signing that I hope can gel the group and lift it where we want, or need it to be.

21 minutes ago, Fuzzar said:

Maybe we're looking to completely overhaul our defence - will be very interesting to see the final squad when the window closes.

Think we’re overhauling the whole squad!

1 hour ago, Jim Smith said:

i assume though that he won’t be match hit straight away so won’t start the season in the team. If we start well then Farke won’t change the team includes he has to so he could end up on our bench for a long period!

I think we may see that change this season, given how busy it’s going to be. Managed squad rotation should be less disruptive to a team that’s playing well than enforced changes because of injuries.

10 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

The point of what I put in brackets was that the amortisation figure is the transfer fee spread over the length of the contract. We got a £15 million player for 2 million per annum, roughly half his the price paid for him. I think, according to some reports anyway, that we have an option to buy.

However in general terms, I can't think of many players that we have bought at 27 who we have gone on to sell at a significant (or any?) profit, so I would suggest that your point here has greater relevance to younger players.

37 minutes ago, Badger said:

The point of what I put in brackets was that the amortisation figure is the transfer fee spread over the length of the contract. We got a £15 million player for 2 million per annum, roughly half his the price paid for him. I think, according to some reports anyway, that we have an option to buy.

However in general terms, I can't think of many players that we have bought at 27 who we have gone on to sell at a significant (or any?) profit, so I would suggest that your point here has greater relevance to younger players.

Off the top of my head, me neither, but that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen in football. 

I think we seem to be in general agreement here anyway.