Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cambridgeshire canary

Why does everyone think our young 'talent' will be sold?

Recommended Posts

Sure, there is no doubt some of the big clubs have taken a look at Cantwell, Buendia and Aarons.

 

And I'm sure that they are well aware of this, and personally I hoped they might put in some extra good performances to try and show off to any potential buyers in our last few games.

 

But was I mistaken? Is the opposite true? Do they want to stay here forever?

 

Beacause if I was one of the big boys and I was interested in any of our players and I watched the Southampton game I would instantly change my mind and there would be no way I would buy any of our players

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends what you mean by “big boys”. 
 

Established mid table prem sides will be very interested I’d have thought. When we’re in the championship again, they will be ‘big boys’ compared to us. Buendia possibly will get more attention from even bigger clubs, Chelsea or Arsenal perhaps. Godfrey, Lewis, Aarons if you had one of them in your side next to more experienced, solid team mates I think would do very well for anyone up to around 8th or 9th in the prem. Our problem is that we have three very young inexperienced defenders learning their trade on the job and not much cover in front of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buendia has not done himself any favours with yesterdays performance.  But its ok he is happy to be here so will be content in Championship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately they have agents who rely on players moving around as much as possible to earn their wedge, so the moves will happen. Our whole model relies on them leaving.

As Keane said before the game Pukki is a good player in a poor team, he will be in demand as will all our other starlets. Those with promise, particularly Aarons, Godfrey and Cantwell will all go. Emi will probably go back to Spain as he doesn't seem suited to the physicality of topflight English football. 

The problem is their value has plummeted in recent months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buendia not suited to the physicality or top flight football? Wasn’t he second only to De Bruyne in chances created for most of the season? Fairly sure around January February time I read he was top four or five chance creators in Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Buendia not suited to the physicality or top flight football? Wasn’t he second only to De Bruyne in chances created for most of the season? Fairly sure around January February time I read he was top four or five chance creators in Europe.

Wonder what his stats are on losing the ball and making chances for the opposition? 

Stats are a load of ol' ****. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Aggy said:

Buendia not suited to the physicality or top flight football? Wasn’t he second only to De Bruyne in chances created for most of the season? Fairly sure around January February time I read he was top four or five chance creators in Europe.

He also was dropped for a number of games and still created this with a team with only 20 odd goals. So his numbers could have been better if we had other players around who were scoring etc.

Buendia is a fantastic player, in a bad team. Watching him last season he proved what level he can play at. I agree with Aggy in our team he has been the assist provider. Yesterday it seemed because of the lack of any partnership in our central midfield areas we were not moving the ball to Cantwell or buendia.

I did think if spurs did put in a big bucks offer in Jan I may have been tempted to sell with Byram here. But as we have seen our cover is so limited that it made sense to wait till the summer.

But prices now go down and again a few players will know they need to be active in looking for a move as top clubs are all looking abroad for cheaper players than british based players who have a premium.

The focus on keeping harmony in a squad of players who can achieve more and those that have exceeded their level in promotion last year, is a tough one.

We have seen rumours of krul, pukki interesting clubs, and rightly so. Aaron's, lewis, cantwell, buendia and godfrey will certainly have suitors.

Very worried if pukki leaves for next season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NFN FC said:

Wonder what his stats are on losing the ball and making chances for the opposition? 

Stats are a load of ol' ****. 

So despite there only being three players in European top flight football who had created more chances than him at the end of February (I checked, he was fourth), and him doing that in a side bottom of the premier league, he must be crap because you don’t like stats...

The one or two times he gave the ball away leading directly to goals, he was picking up the ball from our defenders in his own half. Why was he there? He had to keep coming deep because we don’t get the ball to him in good attacking places enough. If he was playing in a better side and allowed to stick higher up the pitch creating chances he’d be excellent.

If he had a defence and midfield behind him that he could rely on, his giving the ball away wouldn’t be quite so obvious. Attacking creative players will try things that don’t come off. Is he guilty of overplaying and not keeping his head up at times? Yes. But get him in to a top side where he can learn from the best and doesn’t feel like he has to do it all himself (and has some form of cover) and that problem would reduce. 
 

Definitely our most valuable player by a long long shot and the one of our current first team youngsters who will end up playing at the highest level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, smooth said:

 

But prices now go down and again a few players will know they need to be active in looking for a move as top clubs are all looking abroad for cheaper players than british based players who have a premium.

The focus on keeping harmony in a squad of players who can achieve more and those that have exceeded their level in promotion last year, is a tough one.

We have seen rumours of krul, pukki interesting clubs, and rightly so. Aaron's, lewis, cantwell, buendia and godfrey will certainly have suitors.

Very worried if pukki leaves for next season

It will be interesting to see how coronavirus affects things. I think it will make a few of those ‘middle prem’ sides reconsider splashing big bucks - which might mean we refuse to sell at the lower prices offered. Flip side is (a) we might need the money and (b) if the player or players want to leave then we end up selling at a reduced price than we would have done otherwise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aggy said:

So despite there only being three players in European top flight football who had created more chances than him at the end of February (I checked, he was fourth), and him doing that in a side bottom of the premier league, he must be crap because you don’t like stats...

The one or two times he gave the ball away leading directly to goals, he was picking up the ball from our defenders in his own half. Why was he there? He had to keep coming deep because we don’t get the ball to him in good attacking places enough. If he was playing in a better side and allowed to stick higher up the pitch creating chances he’d be excellent.

If he had a defence and midfield behind him that he could rely on, his giving the ball away wouldn’t be quite so obvious. Attacking creative players will try things that don’t come off. Is he guilty of overplaying and not keeping his head up at times? Yes. But get him in to a top side where he can learn from the best and doesn’t feel like he has to do it all himself (and has some form of cover) and that problem would reduce. 
 

Definitely our most valuable player by a long long shot and the one of our current first team youngsters who will end up playing at the highest level. 

I never said he was crap. I do, however, think everyone over rates him because of this stat. 

He'll be one of the first to leave this summer. Let's just hope we fetch a decent price for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said elsewhere, seeing Godfrey defend redmond square on when he was so obviously going to shift it for the third goal might have given us an extra season with him 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the OP makes a fair point.

Buendia was very poor yesterday, as he has been in a number of games. But he’ll move to another club as anyone can see he’s an exceptional talent. I don’t think it will be in premiership though as he doesn’t have the right temperate or attitude for our league.

Cantwell is one I’d actually like to see get the move his efforts this season deserve. The effort and commitment he put in pre season to improve his game is impressive and I’d like to see him go to someone like spurs and thrive.

Aarons is another who I  think has the raw ability that will see him picked up by a premeier league team.

Thankfully  for us, I think Pukki’s loss of form will work in our favour and he’ll now stick with us.

Lewis I’m not sure about.

Most controversially, I think Godfrey is really overrated. He looks class and has great pace BUT the main reason we notice his pace is because so often he is having to chase back to make up for his own mistakes. The way Redmond showed him up yesterday says everything. There’s probably a great player in the making but at the moment I think that (ironically) he plays like he thinks he is Rio Ferdinand at his peak but he is definitely not! I’d actually be happy to sell him and get a decent sum as I just sense he has begun to believe his own hype and therefore his play and progression (and willingness to fight for our survival ) is dropping off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The young 'home grown' registered players will be in demand due to their age, potential and the need for homegrown in the squads. I suspect some will go if relegated. 

The unfortunate aspect is that players are often only remembered for their last few games and not over the season which may persuade some that they should be sold if we collapse over these remaining games.

I hope they all stay however, unlikely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buendia is a strange one. if you look at his stats he is one of the top players in the league; 4th for chances created, 6th for assists and 3rd for completed dribbles. We can all see his talent during games, and yet despite the stats he clearly isn't affecting games as much as similar players like Grealish or Maddison.

The reason we identified him in the first place was because he had excellent stats playing in a poor side. Presumably clubs will be saying the same thing about him this season.

The challenge for a coach would be to take Buendia's obvious talents and turn him into a player who is capable of winning games on his own.

I think Godfrey has all the natural attributes to be a great defender, he just isn't very good at defending much of the time. Undoubtedly he'd benefit from a regular experienced partner or, dare I say it, being played as a defensive midfielder, either way I expect other clubs will see him as a talent they can develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have always sold and hanging on to a player who wants away has never been good policy. I expect at least one young starter will go and maybe two.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

To be honest I'm struggling to find a reason why any of our better players who have ambition would want to stay here.

If they do then they certainly didn't show that last night

For me it's no longer about not wanting to sell them it's just a matter of who is going to buy them.

Edited by Making Plans

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they will be sold simply because player-power usually wins through. With relegation to the Championship, a lot of the young players will feel that is their level now and to progress and fulfil any career or national ambitions (and get a payrise) they need to move on. Their agents will also be salivating at the thought of a big fat slice of the pie.

Aarons, Lewis, Godfrey, Buendia, Cantwell will all see staying with the club as a backward move.

With clubs like Man Utd, Tottenham and Real Madrid being mentioned, the real question is, why on earth does anyone think in their right minds they would wish to stay?

For the more seasoned pros its probably a different matter. The likes of Krul, Hernandez, McLean and all of the Germans probably will value the first team football, the reliable wages and the area, and would probably not consider Championship football beneath them.

Drmic is a good player, but we've not seen much of that for various reasons. FM2020 has him on £50k a week. If that is accurate it's not sustainable for a championship club, but he's unwilling to want to drop his wages beyond the likely contractual cut. We may be stuck with him.

That may not be a bad thing though, as with a run of games he cound be very good at championship level. Its just whether he is commited or not. I forsee a Zigic type situation. 

Pukki I think is unlikely to want to stay. He has shown himself capable of performing at Premier League level, with Man Utd rumoured to have been looking at him last January. If he goes, Drmic could fill the void effectively, but I would worry about whether Drmic would be bothered

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Peanuts said:

I think Godfrey has all the natural attributes to be a great defender, he just isn't very good at defending much of the time.

Godfrey started as a midfielder. Jamal Lewis started as a striker I believe, and Max Aarons started as a number 10/right winger.

It's not surprising we concede so many goals when 3 of the 4 first choice defenders are not natural defenders

Edited by The Great Mass Debater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Godfrey started as a midfielder. Jamal Lewis started as a striker I believe, and Max Aarons started as a number 10/right winger.

It's not surprising we concede so many goals when 3 of the 4 first choice defenders are not natural defenders

To be fair, no top level full back grew up playing there because youth teams would not waste their best player, the one with star potential, at full back. All top level full backs get converted from something else, and some quite late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s funny, when you talk to supporters of other clubs, they always go on about Aaron’s and Cantwell. Buendia and then Godfrey are next in the pecking order. But Jamal Lewis hardly ever gets mentioned, in fact I think he’s unknown to most supporters of other Prem teams. And yet I think he’s arguably a better and more mature (at this stage) player than those already mentioned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

To be fair, no top level full back grew up playing there because youth teams would not waste their best player, the one with star potential, at full back. All top level full backs get converted from something else, and some quite late.

Gareth Bale

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They will go if they want to go, agents usually see to that. However given the financial hole most clubs will have in their finances I’m genuinely curious what the transfer window is going to look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, The Great Mass Debater said:

Gareth Bale

Aside from the fact that he has never been a top level full back, he was a centre back as a youth. He then got converted to full back when he reached Southampton's first team, and then became a winger at Spurs and a forward at Real Madrid. 

You'll do extremely well to find a player who plays full back at the top level of football, who played there before the age of 14/16.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because talent is judged on ability and potential. 

If you immediately changed your mind on the basis of yesterday's game, you wouldn't deserve to be working for one of the "big clubs"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess the other question is why would they want to stay, if they are offered premiership football and almost certainly a decent rise, why would they stay on reduced wages and I suspect as always a very small transfer fund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buendia is wasted out wide. Like when hoolihan was played left wing. I’m not convinced godfrey will be the top cb farke is hailing him  as. Lewis I just don’t see it in him. I think he’s a poor defender and incredibly weak. His attacking consists of running 50 yards with the ball stop and pass back to cbs. 
i really think this season shows you the massive difference in quality. Our centre midfield players have to be at the absolute top of their game to be good championship players. 
Unless you have physical athletic players at the base of your midfield you will always concede. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cambridgeshire canary said:

Sure, there is no doubt some of the big clubs have taken a look at Cantwell, Buendia and Aarons.

 

And I'm sure that they are well aware of this, and personally I hoped they might put in some extra good performances to try and show off to any potential buyers in our last few games.

 

But was I mistaken? Is the opposite true? Do they want to stay here forever?

 

Beacause if I was one of the big boys and I was interested in any of our players and I watched the Southampton game I would instantly change my mind and there would be no way I would buy any of our players

There is no way on yesterday’s game that any of the team apart from Krul are premiership quality, championship yes but premiership no , think a lot of them thrive on the backing and need the home support to get them going may see a repeat v Everton 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

Aside from the fact that he has never been a top level full back, he was a centre back as a youth. He then got converted to full back when he reached Southampton's first team, and then became a winger at Spurs and a forward at Real Madrid. 

You'll do extremely well to find a player who plays full back at the top level of football, who played there before the age of 14/16.

 

Bale certainly had an interesting development!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...