Sign in to follow this  
CANARYKING

18 months without ‘ live “ football

All reports indicate that it will be September 2021 before any large gatherings will be allowed to enable us to go back to CR

33 minutes ago, essex canary said:

The whole game of football as we know it will be bankrupt by then.

Be a good opportunity for Evans to take his money and leg it way from that lot down the road, real danger of teams like them going out of existence........

We will not be bankrupt and neither will many clubs. Ways will be found to mitigate the circumstances around football, some clubs may go to the wall, but most will survive in some form or another and if as is likely, football as a spectator sport cannot happen until September 2021, then so be it. 

Virtually the whole of the economy is going to have to restructure and evolve into something more sustainable and football is no different.  It is going to be a challenge to get through the minefield of the TV finances and player contracts, but it will have to be done if there is no 20/21 season. 

The likelihood of a season behind closed doors to keep things going is something that I hope doesn't happen, but it will be something that TV companies might push for, with the possibility of getting many more subscribers on board.  It would keep things going to a certain extent, but how the lower leagues could survive it, I don't know.    Any TV deal would have to include money filtering down the leagues more than it does now. 

So if they are going down the "behind closed doors" route for maybe a year, then it is understandable why they are pushing for the same thing to finish this season off - it could be the way of things for some time.  I'm not sure if I would prefer closed door football to no football, but I guess once you get your head around it, there is some logic to it, especially if it means clubs keep getting money coming in through TV. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Be a good opportunity for Evans to take his money and leg it way from that lot down the road, real danger of teams like them going out of existence........

Now I have a hope to cling on to in desperate times😉

• Haha 2

28 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

We will not be bankrupt and neither will many clubs. Ways will be found to mitigate the circumstances around football, some clubs may go to the wall, but most will survive in some form or another and if as is likely, football as a spectator sport cannot happen until September 2021, then so be it. 

Virtually the whole of the economy is going to have to restructure and evolve into something more sustainable and football is no different.  It is going to be a challenge to get through the minefield of the TV finances and player contracts, but it will have to be done if there is no 20/21 season. 

The likelihood of a season behind closed doors to keep things going is something that I hope doesn't happen, but it will be something that TV companies might push for, with the possibility of getting many more subscribers on board.  It would keep things going to a certain extent, but how the lower leagues could survive it, I don't know.    Any TV deal would have to include money filtering down the leagues more than it does now. 

So if they are going down the "behind closed doors" route for maybe a year, then it is understandable why they are pushing for the same thing to finish this season off - it could be the way of things for some time.  I'm not sure if I would prefer closed door football to no football, but I guess once you get your head around it, there is some logic to it, especially if it means clubs keep getting money coming in through TV. 

That assumes with respect we would be a premier league team. We could be relegated to become one of those lower league teams yet ?

2 hours ago, CANARYKING said:

All reports indicate that it will be September 2021 before any large gatherings will be allowed to enable us to go back to CR

Why??? If an effective vaccine is available in, say, October 2020 then I believe mass gatherings will be allowed, subject to evidence of vaccination.

34 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agree with a lot of what you say, but I expect football will be made free to air to mitigate against hordes of people turning up outside grounds, I know there has been talk of playing on neutral grounds to finish this season but not sure that would be a practical solution for a whole season, across all leagues...........

If clubs have less money, wages for players will have to be depressed. Going to be interesting how that’s sorted.

Can see this forcing the EFL to introduce salary caps.

Theres always the chance we may see something good happen in football. Shame it’s took a global tragedy to force it if so.

• Like 2

Problem for us is that we’ve tied down many of our players for several years - it was a good thing at the time and no one could have foreseen the current weirdness, but those are possibly now a bit of a chain around our necks...

Edited by Branston Pickle

All the more reason why we must fight as hard as we possibly can to prevent them relegating us this season. Premier league clubs will be much better off than others due to the lack of reliance on gate receipts. 

Unfortunately I think this could be realistic. I saw something that suggested Jan 2021, but even that might be too soon for fans in stadiums. 

Whilst I don't believe we would go under (I've not really got anything to base that on, just faith I suppose), it could really produce some real financial issues for a lot of clubs.

I do hope that solutions are found.

18 minutes ago, Branston Pickle said:

Problem for us is that we’ve tied down many of our players for several years - it was a good thing at the time and no one could have foreseen the current weirdness, but those are possibly now a bit of a chain around our necks...

If the club would literally go bankrupt those will have to be renegotiated. 

Players can refuse, that’s their right, but optics won’t look good to club, fans and future employers.

This isn’t a situation where only one club is in danger, it’s everyone. If a club goes under those players won’t get more than a tiny % of what they are owed and you can guarantee clubs won’t be offering good contracts if they can even find someone willing to take them on.

Its going to be in players and agents interests to negotiate.

If football doesn't return until September 2021 I feel that by then it will be played by reformed clubs with by far the majority having gone into administration.

It maybe a good thing in the long run but lots of pain along the way. NCFC have a high dependency on TV monies which may not be paid whilst they still have massive liability for player contracts. 

1 hour ago, Monty13 said:

If clubs have less money, wages for players will have to be depressed. Going to be interesting how that’s sorted.

Can see this forcing the EFL to introduce salary caps.

Theres always the chance we may see something good happen in football. Shame it’s took a global tragedy to force it if so.

Surely it’s the EPL that needs a salary cap ?

Edited by ......and Smith must score.

3 hours ago, essex canary said:

The whole game of football as we know it will be bankrupt by then.

Agreed. No public gatherings until Q3 2021 would also infer a 2nd wave of the virus and an economic downturn not seen since WW2. I wouldn't like to imagine what sort of world we would be living in. Professional sport will be out the window. Thanks to the long term contracts we offered our startlets NCFC will sink like a stone. Sport and football will need to reinvent itself.

That does seem a long time away but who would bet against it in the current climate where events are moving at a pace by the week let alone by the month. The PL whoever is in it next season will probably keep the Wolf from the door next season by playing behind closed doors when it is safe to do so and getting the TV money. From the championship down through to the Conference i cannot see how clubs can survive without and injection of funds from "somewhere". They will have significant costs and no income at all. PL Hefty wages and transfer fees in such a climate will not go down well at all in such a scenario

Most will go into Administration. Then again not everything will fit in with common perceptions. There maybe a belief that Ipswich will be in trouble given their huge deficit but maybe Evans has pots of money. Of course he could loose it or not be prepared to spend it. Then again if he still retains enough of it he could pay off his motley bunch of players very painlessly then acquire some far better ones at knockdown prices.   

45 minutes ago, ......and Smith must score. said:

Surely it’s the EPL that needs a salary cap ?

The EPL is much less dependent on gate revenue than the EFL. The loss of match day revenue as a % of income will hit PL much less than EFL.

Unfortunately the stowmarket 2 didn’t sell to a stinking rich Chinese owner and look once again they have us looking at another financial crisis 

how much longer must we tolerate their incompetence 

3 hours ago, Pugin said:

Why??? If an effective vaccine is available in, say, October 2020 then I believe mass gatherings will be allowed, subject to evidence of vaccination.

Cannot see a vaccine being available for 12 months at best and then produce enough for up to 5 billion plus Not going to happen 

The crucial thing is not necessarily a vaccine, it's having a treatment. Specifically one which prevents people dying. There has already been massive progress on this and many countries are throwing money at it. Treatment promotes recovery and therefore potential immunity.

It's very pessimistic to think we still won't have a crowd strategy in place before September 2021.

• Like 1

EFL restart in Feb 2021 - trigger : a vaccine. 

EPL restart : soon - trigger : money / morale. 

Difference? EFL needs crowds. EPL does not. 

If you have an effective anti-body test that proves you are “immune” they MAYBE you can move things up - season ticket + immunity certificate + policing. 

Edited by Surfer

24 minutes ago, Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Man said:

'PL clubs prepare for next season behind closed doors'

http://www.skysports.com/share/11982637

Yikes. The Premier League get most of their money from TV anyway so whilst this will hurt, it's unlikely to be fatal, but this could be disastrous for the EFL.

Which is why we must fight like hell to stay in there. 

There likely won’t even be a championship season next season. If we are not in the PL next season then who knows what happens 

Edited by JF

14 hours ago, sgncfc said:

The crucial thing is not necessarily a vaccine, it's having a treatment. Specifically one which prevents people dying. There has already been massive progress on this and many countries are throwing money at it. Treatment promotes recovery and therefore potential immunity.

It's very pessimistic to think we still won't have a crowd strategy in place before September 2021.

I hope you're right but I heard a scientist on the radio yesterday point out that it is entirely possible that a viable vaccine or cure won't be found. Obviously the virus can still be defeated by lockdown but unless you do it like China that takes time. 

19 hours ago, Faded Jaded Semi Plastic SOB said:

Agree with a lot of what you say, but I expect football will be made free to air to mitigate against hordes of people turning up outside grounds, I know there has been talk of playing on neutral grounds to finish this season but not sure that would be a practical solution for a whole season, across all leagues...........

The problem is always going to be people congregating outside the grounds. It wouldn't be too hard to police at Carrow Road but my last away game was Spurs and it would cause chaos if you closed down that part of London. I just can't see how it can practically be done in a lot of places. 

The other issue that lots of people have mentioned is tv revenue. If you don't make it free to air then people will gather together to watch which makes closed grounds pointless. 

The idea muted on the BBC today that the EPL be moved to Australia is perhaps not as daft as it seems, although the time difference would be a huge problem. 

The EPL can survive financially with tv money and reductions to wages but the Football League is the real problem. Most of the clubs survive from people paying at the turnstiles so a large number won't survive at all.

What a mess 

• Like 1