Sign in to follow this  
Wilson

Warm Glow

That was probably Norwich’s worst performance of the season and Ipswich’s best. 

I do wonder if Farke would have survived much long at Norwich if Leitner hadn’t scored that equaliser. It’s easy to forget just how angry Norwich fans were getting at that point. 

I kept saying at the time, we could play so much better. In fact we had at Cardiff earlier that week with the "reserves" 5 or 6 off whom are now our first eleven. But having seen Ipswich previously & what they were doing in that game, I thought that was as well as they could play. Guess I was right

2 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

You know what they say about self praise .. 😉

Is better than no praise?

9 minutes ago, Bethnal Yellow and Green said:

That was probably Norwich’s worst performance of the season and Ipswich’s best. 

I do wonder if Farke would have survived much long at Norwich if Leitner hadn’t scored that equaliser. It’s easy to forget just how angry Norwich fans were getting at that point. 

Some norwich 'fans' those two dim to grasp what was happening, and why.

In fact the farm hands peddle this guff as if we were 'lucky' somehow

Absolute ballcocks, this was a long term plan

I could see the signs early doors - WBA and Sheff U were pretty unlucky defeats and I was roundly slated for suggesting things would turn - I would have been fuming had we binned Farke.

Edited by Branston Pickle
  • Like 1

I still think it was a carefully executed plan to lull the Binners into a false sense of security/superiority by letting them finish just ahead of us on GD last season, play badly in the early derby this season just so we could really take the pi55 in the most glorious way possible.

I reckon Farke and Webber are genius enough to do that.

There was little need of any 'false sense' as the farmhands were over exciting themselves about the new manager and all the wonders he had brought with him. 🤣

Shame I wasn't a bookie in bin land around that time.

I would now be comfortably retired on the winnings from the suffolk dimwits

3 hours ago, Branston Pickle said:

I could see the signs early doors - WBA and Sheff U were pretty unlucky defeats and I was roundly slated for suggesting things would turn - I would have been fuming had we binned Farke.

I agree. In all of the early games, despite the poor results showed good performances and I was confident it would turn. However, after the Leeds game I got quite worried; whilst it was even early on, once they got ahead they ripped us a new one and I feared for the rest of the season after that game. So, I can't confidently state I thought it would turn the whole time, but certainly the early games, we were unlucky.

Yes, looking back, it's strange to think that Norwich (P) only just managed a draw against Ipswich (R).

I don't think I've witnessed many poor performances this season. I guessed that we would lose 3-1 to Leeds when it was actually 3-0, so back then had an idea of the gulf between the promotion chasers and us. I wasn't calling for Farke's head though as I didn't think anyone else could do any better considering the players that we had had to sell previously.

Great stuff - love to see binner stupidity.

I was very concerned, as while the games against Brum, Blades and WBA showed some invention, albeit without the desired results, the games against Preston (despite the result, without that Tettey thunderbastard it was looking like a turgid 0-0 all over), Leeds and the Binners we looked hopeless. That along with the very poor back end of the previous season had me wondering if Farke was the right man. Still believed in the system, but my faith waned. Good on you all that kept the faith.

Won't make the same mistake next year. Won't be concerned if we struggle week in week out as this is a long term project. We have taken 10 steps forward this year, so no  worries if we take 5 steps back next, we are still making progress. 

Wow. Now that's a thread that definitely needs a bump. Tempted to sign up to TWTD just to do the honours!

Edited by Norwich R Us

11 minutes ago, Norwich R Us said:

Wow. Now that's a that thread definitely needs a bump. Tempted to sign up to TWTD just to do the honours!

Tried many times - they are a bit precious who joins.

I predicted a poor start to the season based on the fact that we didn't know what our best eleven would be. Looking at the thread where we predicted starting line up everybody had a different idea of starters and formations. In the end, it took about five games for the team to 'bed in', and though we did badly in terms of points the belief in the system took root during those games, the side became settled and the rest is history as they say.

5 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

I predicted a poor start to the season based on the fact that we didn't know what our best eleven would be. Looking at the thread where we predicted starting line up everybody had a different idea of starters and formations. In the end, it took about five games for the team to 'bed in', and though we did badly in terms of points the belief in the system took root during those games, the side became settled and the rest is history as they say.

Agreed and there was a ridiculous lack of patience shown in some quarters for our situation at the start of the season and some people just wanted to have a rant at it all, rather than try and understand what was happening.  

34 minutes ago, lake district canary said:

Agreed and there was a ridiculous lack of patience shown in some quarters for our situation at the start of the season and some people just wanted to have a rant at it all, rather than try and understand what was happening. 

I don't think so @lake district canary, seems like every poster on here kept the faith in Farke and knew we were going up 😉

I wouldn't have been sad to see him leave last summer, happy to admit that.

You could see improvements in performance at the start of last season but that only carries so far when you don't get results. A couple more defeats and he could have been gone and wouldn't really have had much room to complain to be honest.

It’s very easy to look back with the benefit of hindsight. I thought we were doomed after that derby - we were truly awful (and had been leaking goals all season). 

Credit to Farke and the players for a sensational season (and well done to all the posters who were really patient).

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Hoola Han Solo said:

It’s very easy to look back with the benefit of hindsight. I thought we were doomed after that derby - we were truly awful (and had been leaking goals all season). 

Credit to Farke and the players for a sensational season (and well done to all the posters who were really patient).

Kudos for this response HHS.

I, out of folly and not with foresight at all, made a wager with a group of my friends, all Norwich fans, after the Millwall game in October that I'd buy them all dinner if Norwich got autos and Ipswich got relegated... Now who looks like an idiot?!

If we're all honest with each other who could have foreseen not only this amazing fairytale promotion run (I thought we'd finish 8th) BUT the scum getting relegated, not just relegated but finishing rock bottom of the table WITH Paul Lambert in charge? What alien lifeforce planned this all out?! When you stand back from it, it's utterly utterly nuts. ✌️

2 hours ago, king canary said:

I wouldn't have been sad to see him leave last summer, happy to admit that.

You could see improvements in performance at the start of last season but that only carries so far when you don't get results. A couple more defeats and he could have been gone and wouldn't really have had much room to complain to be honest.

I'm not sure he would have been gone with a couple more defeats. There definitely would have been calls for him to be sacked but traditionally, our board are quite patient - sometimes too much (I'm looking at you Hughton) - and I don't think they'd have sacked him until at least December. At the very, very earliest.

I consider the patience of the board to be a good thing. To expect any manager / sporting director to immediately change everything and make it all work perfectly is bordering on delusional. Change takes time in any industry. Football has far too much knee jerk reactions thinking the grass is greener. It isn't (mostly).

Edited by All the Germans

2 hours ago, king canary said:

No, it was always a long term project - and even at the start of this season we didn't have the players with the capabilities to play in Farke's way - so I don't see how he could take the blame.  Players like Pinto and Marshall were not able to play the system well enough. He wanted Marshall to do the wing back, but he wasn't up to it, so Pinto came in and he wasn't up to it either.  I firmly belive Passlack would have come in sooner or later had it not been for the emergence of Aarons.

Putting it all together was like a jigsaw puzzle - all the pieces needed to fit so why sack a manager because he doesn't have all the pieces of the jigsaw?  It was hardly his fault things were difficult after a season where the whole squad was dis-assembled.  That is why I was so vehement at the time against those that were calling for his head - it seemed ridiculous to me that people weren't showing a bit morer patience given the circumstances.

1 hour ago, lake district canary said:

No, it was always a long term project - and even at the start of this season we didn't have the players with the capabilities to play in Farke's way - so I don't see how he could take the blame.  Players like Pinto and Marshall were not able to play the system well enough. He wanted Marshall to do the wing back, but he wasn't up to it, so Pinto came in and he wasn't up to it either.  I firmly belive Passlack would have come in sooner or later had it not been for the emergence of Aarons.

Putting it all together was like a jigsaw puzzle - all the pieces needed to fit so why sack a manager because he doesn't have all the pieces of the jigsaw?  It was hardly his fault things were difficult after a season where the whole squad was dis-assembled.  That is why I was so vehement at the time against those that were calling for his head - it seemed ridiculous to me that people weren't showing a bit morer patience given the circumstances.

You would have been backing him if we’d been relegated too - you’ve had blind faith in all the managers including Hughton and Alex Neil.

• Like 1

Just now, Hoola Han Solo said:

You would have been backing him if we’d been relegated too - you’ve had blind faith in all the managers including Hughton and Alex Neil.

He also said he thought we were too hasty with Gunn...

A fairly forgotten man now compared to the rest of the players that have shone this season, but extra special props to Louis Thompson in that game if yawl remember. Came on as sub to sure things up, did well, got injured after all the subs had been made and continued to play on, limping away in an old skool' braveheart style that infectiously spread to his teammates to see us though and keep the unbeaten run going. A bitpart season again for us but how vital was he in that instance?  💪