Ginja

Michael McGovern new contract 2021

OK it might make sense and we cannot question decisions made by the management team surely if decision was made it would have made more sense announcing this after promotion was secured.

48 minutes ago, Jack Barak said:

Solid number 2 / 3... 

Sounds painful. I recommend a serving of prunes for that. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Ginja said:

Nobody is turning on the club, just questioning it, you don't have to blindly agree with everything they do.

But the way things have gone and are going ........... perhaps I will!

Edited by Yellow Wal

1 hour ago, Woodman said:

I'm surprised too, but Farke clearly sees more than we do & it sound like he adds more to the club than being a back up keeper. Oxborough might end up out on loan next season I guess?

So, we have Rhodes, Passlack, Pinto, Klose, Wildschut, Jarvis, Naismith and Tristan Abrahams out of contract in June 2019.  I think all bar Klose and Abrahams will go.

Then Tettey, Krul, Vrancic, Stiepermann, Franke, Raggett, Husband and Oliveira out of contract in June 2020.

Need to get Vrancic and Stiepermann's contracts extended quick sharp.

Also, I believe Husband is also out of contract this summer, he was signed on a two-year deal.

The thing that's hard for us to quantify is that 90 mins on a Saturday is the result of what goes on at Colney for a week. McGovern zero minutes on a Saturday yet has earned a new contract suggests his contribution has been important. 

Three keepers is the norm in PL.

• Like 2

Many have suggested we would need another keeper for next season. Looks like we are keeping faith with the ones we have.

To be honest, some of the goalkeeping I have seen in the Prem matches, it doesn't surprise me we are keeping the status quo.

Has anyone thought that his presence andattitude might be seen as a perfect step to coaching our young goalkeepers in the future, he might be being lined up to step into coaching when his playing career is over and by contracting him keeps him here.

I still wouldn’t be suprised if we get a young keeper in as No. 1.

• Like 1

He simply is not good enough - and nowhere near good enough at that - for me. He would make an adequate 3rd choice but nothing more.

Still, I trust the management team to do what's right and back their decisions.

I actually think Krul would be fine if we go up, but there are a few good young keepers out there - Pope, Henderson (I don’t like his arrogance), or what about Randolph if Boro don’t go up. Or Sam Johnstone at West Brom?

and I agree re McGovern’s influence at Colney, more to it than just being a number 2; his comments on the statement certainly imply that.

3 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Whilst I’m surprised , this thread shows how quick some people are to turn on the club. Personally I’m going to trust Farke and Webber’s judgement.

Who has turned on the club on this thread ?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TIL 1010 said:

Who has turned on the club on this thread ?

Very  Mortyesque!. 

Surely. ( I hope you don't mind me calling you that) you get that FF was using ' turned' as a euphemism for knee jerk reaction. McGovern is no world beater but has ,I feel been unfairly slated since he came. I am also prepared to accept the management's decisions, until they are more wrong than right. I can't imagine McGovern's deal is expensive to the Club.

Edited by wcorkcanary
Spelling
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, All the Germans said:

He simply is not good enough - and nowhere near good enough at that - for me. He would make an adequate 3rd choice but nothing more.

Still, I trust the management team to do what's right and back their decisions.

If he is not good enough then why have him as third ?

He won't be required to do any less if he is on the pitch just because he is No 3

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, wcorkcanary said:

Very  Mortyesque!. 

Surely. ( I hope you don't mind me calling you that) you get that FF was using ' turned' as a euphemism for knee jerk reaction. McGovern is no world beater but has ,I feel been unfairly slated since he came. I am also prepared to accept the management's decisions, until they are more wrong than right. I can't imagine McGovern's deal is expensive to the Club.

FF used this thread as an example of how quick fans are to turn on the club. All i can see is expressions of surprise by a few posters that McGovern has been handed a new deal but trust the judgement of Webber and Farke. I will ask again then, who on this thread has turned on the club. A simple question surely ?

Edited by TIL 1010

1 minute ago, ricardo said:

I suggest we accept that those in charge know what they are doing.

Exactly ricardo and that was what posters without exception have been saying.

20 minutes ago, Bill said:

If he is not good enough then why have him as third ?

He won't be required to do any less if he is on the pitch just because he is No 3

I wouldn't. Maybe I phrased it wrong; I can accept him being third choice,  but would be disappointed if he made the 18 next season, even if we were in the Championship. If it were my decision, he'd be gone and not even third choice, but as per the theme of the thread, I entirely trust the decisions made, they must have their reasons.

If McGovern is going to be retained as second choice then it makes very little sense to me, he's a long, long way short of the ability required in the top flight and does nothing to help the homegrown quota...

However - If Aston Oxborough is as good as he looked coming through the youth ranks and is seen as the long-term replacement for Krul,  he surely has to go out on loan next season to get full-time experience in League 1/2. From that point of view, IF we're planning on bringing in another English 'keeper as backup to help with the homegrown rule, then retaining McGovern as 3rd choice makes a little bit of sense, assuming he's on low wages. 

Saying that though, Farke and Webber hve both talked in the past about how they prefer a smaller squad and how the club can't and won't carry passengers, they must also know that the fan reaction was likely to be largely negative, so I'd assume there are some concrete plans afoot here that we're not entirely aware of yet. 

25 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Comments like “ utterly bizarre “ and “wtf” suggests that some don’t though

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Comments like “ utterly bizarre “ and “wtf” suggests that some don’t though

Careful Frank, you'll have you know who on yer case in a minute...,

• Haha 1

Looks like this thread has tuned into a stupid post competition so i will leave you couple of experts to it.

I look forward to your sarcastic post about along come nodge tomorrow 

Edited by FenwayFrank

51 minutes ago, ricardo said:

Don't write that on the Brexit thread. 😀

• Haha 3

😂 for me, if we go up he’ll be 3rd choice. If we don’t, he’ll probably be 2nd choice or compete with a youngster. Pretty obvious really, I imagine they’ve announced it cos there’s no reason to keep it secret.

6 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

I look forward to your sarcastic post about along come nodge tomorrow 

Posted by you 16 minutes ago...... I think he’s  in the mood for an argument .

Rather looks to me that it is the other way round following your latest effort.

I'm confident that DF/SW have a plan for next season, Oxbro will probably go out on loan, no point a young keeper sitting on the bench.

If MM is as poor as everyone is making out, surely DF/SW will have identified that and will have a plan in place. 

Let's be honest, he's going to be cheap and if we get another keeper in he's unlikely to bother the first Team, what he will be, at 35, is an example to our youngsters coming through, perhaps with a view to go into a coaching role as his career winds down.