Ginja

Michael McGovern new contract 2021

I'm not sure why this is so surprising to some.

Think it's clearly a move to a 3rd choice + GK advisor / coach for the young ones at the Sam's time. I thought the pro dressing room comments etc from Farke and Webber in the past were to suggest intentions to keep him on in some capacity.

MM has been here a few seasons now, has rarely been able to command a place in league games, but has been sufficient in Cup games etc and he has seemingly accepted his always postion as a no. 2 or 3 and a perennial benchwarmer. I would imagine there are not a huge amount of GK's that could or would accept such a role these days for so long. So if SW, DF etc deem him worthy of such  contract, then good for the club and good for MM.

I have to say this is terrible news. I was hoping for a Southampton relegation Gunn as our number 1 and krul as back up.

now plan B the return of John ruddy 

• Haha 2

It's unusual as he doesn't fit the webber / farke model, but he's an international goalkeeper with plenty of experience who clearly offers something extra off the field to a young squad. I think he's reducing his wages for greater security and will adopt the number 3 role next season.

The only downside to this it that it's going to block a pathway for a young goalkeeper. I'm certain we'll be bringing in another keeper this summer anyway

Edited by Michael Starr

I'm sure I read recently about what a positive influence he has been throughout the club. Similar to the role Chrichton played in the Worthy team. I'm okay too in trusting DF and SW.

• Like 1

Need 3 goalkeepers for the Prem.

Farke: 

“He delivers outstanding professionalism, is never injured and never ill. He is so experienced with many games for Northern Ireland. He is a role model in terms of professionalism.

“He is so important for the whole atmosphere and mood in the dressing room. He’s a great lad and we’re all happy he is staying with us.” Reduced wages, great in dressing room, knows clearly his off-field role and that he won’t play. 

As they say in the antiques trade ‘go find me another one’. [exactly like that, here and now] and [why  bother when you already have one]

Team spirit repeatedly identified as a ‘key player’ in our unexpected success. This is therefore also an investment in underscoring [to all] that SW/DF respect that spirit and reward it. So it is a public, cheap message to Hanley, Rhodes, Klose and anybody who (ever) finds themselves not playing.

Parma

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Parma Ham's gone mouldy said:

Need 3 goalkeepers for the Prem.

Farke: 

“He delivers outstanding professionalism, is never injured and never ill. He is so experienced with many games for Northern Ireland. He is a role model in terms of professionalism.

“He is so important for the whole atmosphere and mood in the dressing room. He’s a great lad and we’re all happy he is staying with us.” Reduced wages, great in dressing room, knows clearly his off-field role and that he won’t play. 

As they say in the antiques trade ‘go find me another one’. [exactly like that, here and now] and [why  bother when you already have one]

Team spirit repeatedly identified as a ‘key player’ in our unexpected success. This is therefore also an investment in underscoring [to all] that SW/DF respect that spirit and reward it. So it is a public, cheap message to Hanley, Rhodes, Klose and anybody who (ever) finds themselves not playing.

Parma

Norwich City fans just have to buy into Farke’s and Webber’s philosophy that attitude and demeanour are an extremely important contribution to the squad’s success, and will play an important part in the summer signings.

It goes a long way to explaining why Oliveira was never called upon, even when there appeared opportunities to play him.

• Like 1

"Norwich City fans just have to buy into Farke’s and Webber’s philosophy that attitude and demeanour are an extremely important contribution to the squad’s success, and will play an important part in the summer signings.

It goes a long way to explaining why Oliveira was never called upon, even when there appeared opportunities to play him."

Yes you're right. The blend of personalities and togetherness of the squad, leaders in the changing room and on the field, a total buy in to the our ethics, are more important to our model of sucess than individual brilliance. We have established a succesful formula, things need to be finely tuned to maintain that, dont expect any signings that wont fit our model.

It's April. Next season doesn't start until August. I'd be very surprised if Krul (1), McGovern (2) and Oxborough (3) was what we start next season with, irrespective of division. Webber and Farke both understand the importance of a goalkeeper who's good with his feet, and I'm sure someone will come in to compete with (or even displace) Krul.

• Like 1

I don't think extending McGovern's contract necessarily guarantees him the no.3 slot at this stage if we are to be promoted. Nothing to be excited about, just a solid addition to the overall playing/coaching squad.  Southampton have Fraser Forster as their no 4 and presumably not even in the 25 man squad. 

I'm surprised no-one else has pointed out that this gives us the ideal candidate for POTS next season if it all goes horribly wrong. Carlo Nash mark 2.

On 04/04/2019 at 14:59, KeiranShikari said:

Yep, pretty much as surprised as everyone else. Was fully expecting him to go when his contract was up and the club to sign a young keeper more in the Farke mould. Suppose that could still happen if McGov moves down to 3rd choice and I suppose they don't rate our current youngsters.

I see his signing as one that pays him well, keeps him fit and all the time he knows he will not play regular football again. Like semi retirement really. But have to agree I still find it very surprising. 

"I suppose they don't rate our current youngsters."

Whilst the NCFC goalkeeper production line is in full flow still, it no longer produces more than those capable of occupying anything other than a lower league residence (Marshall, Rudd, Steer, Matthews,)  ie. no more Robert Greens.

There's a consistent supply but not one is capable of reaching the heights of RG or, indeed, even occupying the No 1.spot at Carrow Road  in recent times.

This McGovern outcome seems to indicate a similar fate for young Oxborough.