Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Came across this recently (R3 I think) and I missed the TV series (either I was a bit too young or didn't have a TV then) but I seemed to remember the tune. Anyone else watch it? Think it was a precursor to Cheers?

Given a bit more of a jazz feel live here...

5 minutes ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Nice one. Hope you enjoy it 😜

First listen and I was impressed. Like "Ghosts" it is well ahead of its time and a lot of music for your money.

• Like 1

Also got this. Jazz-rock at its best, with some great guitaring from John McLaughlin, a great groove and Miles at his best.

• Like 1

Three tracks I really like, two sampling, the original piece from the third, Shostakovich Symphony no.7, 4th movement. Each is fantastic in its own right. The first caught my interest when it was used on BBC MOTD2 some years back, the second I found by accident trying to find out what the music in BBC MOTD2 was, and the third I knew already as one of my favourite composers:

Edited by littleyellowbirdie
  • Like 2

Dermot played this this morning 

I’ve heard it about 5 times this week and they headline at Glastonbury  2023

• Like 1

On 12/01/2023 at 18:37, Herman said:

Finally got hold of a copy @Wings of a Sparrow

DAVID BYRNE The Catherine Wheel reviews

I bought my wife a DVD (I know) of David Byrne’s American Utopia tour for Christmas. We saw it almost on a whim when he played in Nottingham and it is plain brilliant. Not the same on a screen clearly, but still worth a watch if you get the chance. We genuinely debated driving to Manchester the next day to watch it again. 

• Like 2

On 12/01/2023 at 21:15, sonyc said:

Came across this recently (R3 I think) and I missed the TV series (either I was a bit too young or didn't have a TV then) but I seemed to remember the tune. Anyone else watch it? Think it was a precursor to Cheers?

Given a bit more of a jazz feel live here...

Cool!

The TV program was Taxi, Christopher Lloyd and Danny DeVito’s first prominent roles. 

13 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

I bought my wife a DVD (I know) of David Byrne’s American Utopia tour for Christmas. We saw it almost on a whim when he played in Nottingham and it is plain brilliant. Not the same on a screen clearly, but still worth a watch if you get the chance. We genuinely debated driving to Manchester the next day to watch it again. 

I managed to catch it on Sky Arts last year and it is a cracking live show. I was far too late to catch it live but one day i hope to catch him.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2023 at 09:34, littleyellowbirdie said:

Three tracks I really like, two sampling, the original piece from the third, Shostakovich Symphony no.7, 4th movement. Each is fantastic in its own right. The first caught my interest when it was used on BBC MOTD2 some years back, the second I found by accident trying to find out what the music in BBC MOTD2 was, and the third I knew already as one of my favourite composers:

Every time I listen to Shostakovich I wonder why I bother to listen to anyone else. Or in fact why I bother to do anything else other than listen to Shostakovich.

It passes of course. Mundanity intrudes. But he is, for me, the most special of all the special composers I love.

• Thanks 1

On 22/01/2023 at 11:03, FenwayFrank said:

Love how people can turn a brick wall into something like this 

0A3E648D-E961-4828-BD3A-EA93EF8E7D2E.jpeg

That’s very cool, any idea where it is?

Hello, is that the Police? There is a party going on next door and I want you to go and tell them to turn the noise . . UP!!

Taj Mahal still going after goodness knows how many years. Imagine being pals with these boys, lets have a jam.

2 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

That’s very cool, any idea where it is?

It was somewhere I wasn’t really expecting. I think it was Stockport 

On 23/01/2023 at 19:23, FenwayFrank said:

It was somewhere I wasn’t really expecting. I think it was Stockport 

Thanks, found an interview with Baz Warne, apparently it’s in Cheltenham, no idea whether Jet had any links to there.

96D2932E-8D60-4F90-9BC3-A62634DBD383.jpeg.7c19a18b048ac6cd98d6a36d49f752b1.jpeg

• Like 1