Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

26 minutes ago, Herman said:

Terry Hall, RIP. What grim news. 

I was whistling Too Much Too Young a few minutes ago (my wife asked if it was Bohemian Rhapsody) and she’s now just told me that Terry Hall has died 🙁

Heard the Haaland chant that someone/some group called CTID turned into a song. I'm not sure it's flattering that I knew within a second which German song they'd pinched as the melody. So rather than give you the chant itself, here's the original song.

Pretty much guaranteed to fill a dancefloor quickly in eastern Germany amongst people of a certain age. They actually got the band back together to do it in Moscow in 2020, 41 years after initially releasing it.

7 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I was whistling Too Much Too Young a few minutes ago (my wife asked if it was Bohemian Rhapsody) and she’s now just told me that Terry Hall has died 🙁

I saw his name trending so automatically thought he had released new music. Sad times. I only got to see them once, at Glastonbury, which wasn't their best to be honest, but by all accounts, seeing them in a smaller venue was a great night out.

5 hours ago, Herman said:

I saw his name trending so automatically thought he had released new music. Sad times. I only got to see them once, at Glastonbury, which wasn't their best to be honest, but by all accounts, seeing them in a smaller venue was a great night out.

I saw them at the Millennium Square in Leeds in 2009-Terry was winding up the crowd telling them that he was a Man Utd fan-and at Alexandra Palace in 2011. No Jerry Dammers which was a shame.

Early gigs must have been an occasion, I imagine the atmosphere was a mix of fun and violence, especially on tour with The Clash.

• Like 1

A right mix ... Soft rock (I love the breathless singing voice of this woman. Live version here - Low Light is the song), some smooth jazz and finishing with some nice funk. 

• Like 1

Arguably one of the leaders of Psychedelic music. A rock Opera before people had thought of it. Wore the vinyl out and kept it protected at parties.

• Like 2

Not sure if I've lobbed in any Portsmouth Sinfonia before - the orchestra that famously couldn't play their instruments.

This video just matches the audio carnage. Priceless!

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Did anyone see Post Modern Jukebox at the UEA about a year ago ? I heard they were very good 

They have some good stuff on YouTube. Their version of Stacey's Mom is excellent. 

Controversial opinion time, but I think Within Temptation's cover of Running Up That Hill is better than even Bush's original. Used it as my final song psyching up for the Torshavn half-marathon last year. A personal tradition of mine before any half-marathon, to get mentally ready, is to listen to three favourite songs (An Toll Dubh by Runrig/Paul Mounsey, Men of Harlech by the Fron Male Voice Choir, and Highland Cathedral by the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards) and one ever-changing "plus-one" song.

That said, I'll be taking Highland Cathedral out and replacing it with the wonderful Yma o Hyd in future.

17 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Did anyone see Post Modern Jukebox at the UEA about a year ago ? I heard they were very good 

They are playing Norwich again later in the year.

Edited by keelansgrandad
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

They are playing Norwich again later in the year.

Yeah, that's partly why I asked