Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

Autobiographies/books on music - any recommendations? I’ve read Johnny Marrs, Keef, Rick Bucklers, Joe Jackson and am a little way into John Lydon’s. I’m being asked what I want for Christmas so any suggestions appreciated.

10 minutes ago, FenwayFrank said:

Autobiographies/books on music - any recommendations? I’ve read Johnny Marrs, Keef, Rick Bucklers, Joe Jackson and am a little way into John Lydon’s. I’m being asked what I want for Christmas so any suggestions appreciated.

Steve Jones' Lonely Boy. The inspiration behind the Pistols series on Disney 👍

• Like 1

Off at a slight tangent...

I may have mentioned this book before to @Herman but it f you're an older football fan this is a great book, I think it's only available second hand. Or just treat yourself for a few quid

51DjvBS7Q1L._SX357_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FenwayFrank said:

If you're / were a Pretenders fan then I might suggest Reckless. Chrissie Hynde is a decent author and it's very honest. She waited til her parents had died before publishing!

Best of all though is Tracy Thorn's Bedsit Disco Queen. Just check out the reviews (e.g. Amazon). Honest, funny, moving - suppose like her music. I think her husband Ben Watt's book on his illness was also very well reviewed but haven't read it.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas. Would send you mine but they are available secondhand for very little money.🙂

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sonyc said:

If you're / were a Pretenders fan then I might suggest Reckless. Chrissie Hynde is a decent author and it's very honest. She waited til her parents had died before publishing!

Best of all though is Tracy Thorn's Bedsit Disco Queen. Just check out the reviews (e.g. Amazon). Honest, funny, moving - suppose like her music. I think her husband Ben Watt's book on his illness was also very well reviewed but haven't read it.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas. Would send you mine but they are available secondhand for very little money.🙂

I’ve heard that Tracey Thorns book is good so I think I’ll put that to the top of my list

• Like 1

the best song about werewolves ever. That's as much effort as im going to make for a Halloween themed song.

'dear boy' a biography of Keith Moon is a great read. 

On 29/10/2022 at 22:56, ron obvious said:

Never thought I'd say this, but Captain Kirk knocks it out the park

My band has played two gigs where Spizz Energi were also playing. Kenneth Spiers is a bit of an oddball 🤣

• Like 3

On 02/11/2022 at 11:31, Mr Angry said:

My band has played two gigs where Spizz Energi were also playing. Kenneth Spiers is a bit of an oddball 🤣

Are they spizz energi again ?  What happened to spizz oil and all the other spizz’s ? 😁

12 hours ago, FenwayFrank said:

Are they spizz energi again ?  What happened to spizz oil and all the other spizz’s ? 😁

Yeah, I think they are. The others spizzled  out 🤣

• Haha 1

On 02/11/2022 at 11:31, Mr Angry said:

Jack the Lad?

On 29/10/2022 at 09:18, FenwayFrank said:

I'd recommend Luke Haines 

Bad Vibes

• Like 1

On 05/11/2022 at 11:46, Mr Angry said:

Who?

Wondered if that was your band - but from the response I'm guessing not!

2 hours ago, Thumbbass said:

Wondered if that was your band - but from the response I'm guessing not!

No, but if they are a skinhead/Oi band our guitarist has probably played with them in his other band.

Whenever we've had a bad result I often think of something else to raise my spirits and what better thing than music.

Some uplifting stuff here and a proper mix hoping someone likes at least one🙂

And the last one is a 'happy' sad song. Really worth looking on BBC Sounds last night (Cerys Matthews Time Signatures) programme. The reviewers looked at his this song (amongst a few others) and how it works, major/minor chords, use of panning, lyrics, acoustic guitar beneath etc etc.

As ever, thanks to R3 and even R4.

• Thanks 1

6Music just had a great memorial show for Mimi Parker of Low. Not everyone's cup of tea but if you want calm, mellow, lyrical rock music then it's worth checking out.

• Like 1