Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

On 22/09/2022 at 08:07, Mr Angry said:

Saw The Cramps at The Paradiso in Amsterdam on my birthday in 1991. Awful gig, Lux was wearing seethrough PVC trousers with no underwear 🤮 and didn’t sing, just deepthroated the mic all night. Off The Bone is a great album though.

Added the ticket, although it doesn’t say who was playing!

E47E74D6-A571-478A-B29E-0E45ACF86AFC.jpeg

50D47969-08E6-443E-8766-A78AA8C521DD.jpeg

I've just got Kid Congo Powers autobiography, should be a good read.

Also went and saw Jerry Sadowitz last night...ahem, very 'challenging'. 😱🤣

Apples

• Like 2

Once again it's taken one of them almost dying to reunite. Next October I can get drunk and sing along to childish songs from my youth and see one of my favourite drummers. Probably the favourite living one!  All hail blink 182!

• Like 2

and this anticipation of  tomorrow.. I'm off work so I'll see it whatever...bring on the inevitable disappointment!

Edited by The Raptor

On 11/10/2022 at 20:13, Wings of a Sparrow said:

Another thumbs up for Blink 182 and yes, Travis Barker is awesome 👍

Managed to get seated tickets in a presale for Manchester. Standing tickets in Birmingham is what I'm actually shooting for, but pretty much 0 released on the presales so I'm going to have to pile on it on general sale Monday morning (when il be in an airport awaiting a flight). Nice to have a back up plan that means il defo see them though.

Agree on Travis. He's done a lot to single handedly revive the genre over the last few years. Heavily involved with MGK's 2 pop punk albums and a lot of collabs with Jack kays, Willow, mod sun etc. The man is a machine.

• Like 1

I think I have added to my claim to fame list by seeing Steven Wilson in a record shop in Old Stevenage.🤔

6 hours ago, kick it off said:

Managed to get seated tickets in a presale for Manchester. Standing tickets in Birmingham is what I'm actually shooting for, but pretty much 0 released on the presales so I'm going to have to pile on it on general sale Monday morning (when il be in an airport awaiting a flight). Nice to have a back up plan that means il defo see them though.

Agree on Travis. He's done a lot to single handedly revive the genre over the last few years. Heavily involved with MGK's 2 pop punk albums and a lot of collabs with Jack kays, Willow, mod sun etc. The man is a machine.

I got put off by the ticket prices when I looked on Viagogo but that was prior to general sale, so I might look again.

I'll have to check out those collaborations you mention above. Some of the YouTube videos of his drumming skills are mind blowing.

3 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

I got put off by the ticket prices when I looked on Viagogo but that was prior to general sale, so I might look again.

I'll have to check out those collaborations you mention above. Some of the YouTube videos of his drumming skills are mind blowing.

Seated is 60- 80, standing rear 90, standing front 105ish

11 hours ago, kick it off said:

Going back a few years. The Transplants with Tim Armstrong from rancid are great too.

Still undecided about standing or sitting. Sad as it is to admit it was quite nice having a seat at green day even if we did then stand! Mind you, early 40s is probably the average age of a blink fan so I'll probably be ok standing!

Edited by The Raptor
  • Like 1

OMFG. IM SEEING BON IVER ON MONDAY!!!!

Feels like it's been a lifetime coming around. I booked tickets about a year ago and since then I've had the most insanely difficult year with my partner's mum going from perfectly fine to dying 4 months later, a toxic ex, and moving 80 miles - new job, new house etc. Basically every kind of stress that could have happened, has happened.

I am so excited for this gig, its going to be so good. Feels like I've earned this one!

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kick it off said:

Feels like it's been a lifetime coming around. I booked tickets about a year ago and since then I've had the most insanely difficult year with my partner's mum going from perfectly fine to dying 4 months later, a toxic ex, and moving 80 miles - new job, new house etc. Basically every kind of stress that could have happened, has happened.

I am so excited for this gig, its going to be so good. Feels like I've earned this one!

You deserve to have a great time 👍

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Time for some music 🎶

I saw them at a punk festival in Sheffield in 2019. I say ‘them’ but I don’t think there were any original members left. I took a video of No Government on my phone but the quality (of the playing) was so poor that I deleted it!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Wings of a Sparrow said:

You deserve to have a great time 👍

👍

Taste in music is such a funny thing to predict. I feel like I should like Bon Iver, in a Venn diagram there would be lots of overlap with stuff I do enjoy, but he just leaves me cold. That’s the beauty of it I guess, if we all liked Adele and Ed Sheehan, the world would be a dull place. Hope you have a great time though KIO!

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Thanks 1

On 15/10/2022 at 20:08, Wings of a Sparrow said:

That's better.

Did you have any luck? Nobody I know managed to get tickets on general sale (including me). Feel incredibly fortunate to have picked up the ones I did on presale now.

16 minutes ago, kick it off said:

Did you have any luck? Nobody I know managed to get tickets on general sale (including me). Feel incredibly fortunate to have picked up the ones I did on presale now.

I didn't try very hard if I'm honest.

Going from past experience, I guarantee someone I know will post on the day saying they can't attend for whatever reason. I'm hoping for this option.

I didn't take up the offer for Rod or Elton you understand 😉

• Like 1

On 20/10/2022 at 19:51, kick it off said:

Bon Iver did not disappoint. The sheer musicianship of Justin Vernon is something else. The guy is just unbelievably talented. Playing a variety of instruments whilst also using a synth keyboard and sampling/looping samples live, whilst also singing.

He looked like he was loving every second of it but not in a showman type way of having a crowd etc, but he was just really enjoying making music and it was clear to see how into it and passionate he was. It was like 20,000 people watching him jam in his studio. Came across as really humble and a genuinely nice guy too.

The performance was exceptional, the staging and lighting was exceptional and we had a brilliant time 😊

20221024_212204.jpg

20221024_210349.jpg

20221024_205123.jpg

Edited by kick it off
  • Like 3

Been listening to some classical stuff. Couple here for interest.

Well known first one. That high voice though!

Second is a version by the excellent Katherine Needleman. Yes, it's a Ruth Gipps piece. It was a previously discovered (unplayed) concerto from over 80 years ago (premiered in London). There is a bit of a story in the video typed at the start of the piece. The oboe and piano in this just work together and I've no idea how someone has the skill to write those parts - but Gipps did! Don't know the piano player but might be one of the Labèque sisters looking at all that hair?

• Like 1