Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

I'm going to see these at the waterfront next week. Good blues guitar. Love the keys too. Hopefully they'll play this!

12 hours ago, The Raptor said:

I'm going to see these at the waterfront next week. Good blues guitar. Love the keys too. Hopefully they'll play this!

With Glenn Tilbrook guesting, should be a good night

• Like 2

Can't remember if I have (or anyone else has) posted these before.

I always thought Alvin Lee looked a bit like Leighton James. It was the grimace mostly I think

• Like 1

The BBC are cutting quite a bit from the classical part of their music department.🤨

Here's one part going, doing a great cover version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 01/03/2023 at 08:00, horsefly said:

Don't like bagpipes? try this

If we’re talking bagpipes and jazz, try this. Possibly a bit niche but I love it. Check out the bass. Fonky!

Edited by Nuff Said

5 hours ago, Herman said:

The BBC are cutting quite a bit from the classical part of their music department.🤨

That soprano is great.

• Like 1

Discovered one by happy accident today where I found out the band and name of a piece of music that's always associated with happy memories. Watched a reel on Facebook showing a boat called the M/S Smyrna in the Faroes - was on it last year, and it had this tune on, and at the bottom it happened to say the band and the name of it.

As for the memories, it's the countdown to my favourite half-marathon, Polmaraton Praski in Warsaw, Poland. It's ran at night starting and finishing next to Poland's National Stadium and is one of the biggest events in the country. Runners are in several starting waves and just before you start, they have a lights show and smoke machines going. Lights go out except for the start line, and the wave in question is moved forward to it with this piece in the background as the last thing you hear.

Then the countdown in Polish.

Then the gun is fired. Off you go.

• Like 1

On 08/03/2023 at 22:12, Nuff Said said:

If we’re talking bagpipes and jazz, try this. Possibly a bit niche but I love it. Check out the bass. Fonky!

The most Scottish thing I've ever heard. Cleminson even makes the guitar solo Scottish

1 hour ago, ron obvious said:

The most Scottish thing I've ever heard. Cleminson even makes the guitar solo Scottish

A close thing with Big Country who built a whole career out of making guitars sound like bagpipes.

Talking of Big Country I could swear I remember John Peel introducing them on Top of the Pops and saying something along the lines of “putting the tree back into Big Country” but I can’t find any trace of it online.

7 minutes ago, Nuff Said said:

A close thing with Big Country who built a whole career out of making guitars sound like bagpipes.

Talking of Big Country I could swear I remember John Peel introducing them on Top of the Pops and saying something along the lines of “putting the tree back into Big Country” but I can’t find any trace of it online.

Real bagpipes on Alex's though (the London-Scottish TA Regiment). I think it's the hesitation (or whatever the technical musical term is) at the beginning of Cleminson's notes in the solo that make it so effective, contrasting to the attack on the notes when he first comes in.

On 08/03/2023 at 17:07, Herman said:

This is really rather lovely.

Cultural vandals, know the price of everything and the value of nothing etc. etc.

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Like 1

Just saying the counties means I have to think about geography! But yeah from that map.  Oxford, Essex, Humberside top three. Devon the most overrated 

A couple of bands from my youth that could've been bigger if they'd had another couple of songs as good as these.

3 hours ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Taken from Facebook, so no guarantee of accuracy 

Top 5, in no order as tastes change from time to time 

Oxfordshire, Cornwall, Northumberland, Bedfordshire, Northamptonshire 

Screenshot_20230312-184309_Facebook.thumb.jpg.a13c44ef6f9ed9a1947e3abb761cc4cc.jpg

Not sure that Deep Purple had more than a passing connection to Hertfordshire-I’d have thought that Wham would be the best selling.

11 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Not sure that Deep Purple had more than a passing connection to Hertfordshire-I’d have thought that Wham would be the best selling.

Whoever compiled the map used a fair bit of license 

Jethro Tull originally formed in the Blackpool area, and Olivia Newton-John moved from Cambridge when she was a child 

16 minutes ago, How I Wrote Elastic Man said:

Whoever compiled the map used a fair bit of license 

Jethro Tull originally formed in the Blackpool area, and Olivia Newton-John moved from Cambridge when she was a child 

They got it right for the best band there though, North Yorkshire.

14 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

I think they had some loose connection with Hertford. Surely Elton should be Herts and the Stones London?

1 hour ago, Herman said:

I think they had some loose connection with Hertford. Surely Elton should be Herts and the Stones London?

Elton was born in Pinner so I guess that’s why he is London rather than Hertfordshire-some of them are decidedly random though-FKA Twigs and Cher Lloyd???

1 hour ago, Mr Angry said:

Elton was born in Pinner so I guess that’s why he is London rather than Hertfordshire-some of them are decidedly random though-FKA Twigs and Cher Lloyd???

Ah yes of course, little Reg from Pinner. Maybe it's my age but I thought Twigs was an American and I had to google who the hell Cher Lloyd was.

Surprised at Brian Eno for Suffolk . I wander how far behind him Ed Sheeran is. 

At 44 it's probably too late for us to sell millions and knock Beth Orton off the map. I'd better attempt to write some songs!

• Haha 1