Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

On 29/10/2022 at 10:18, FenwayFrank said:

Autobiographies/books on music - any recommendations? I’ve read Johnny Marrs, Keef, Rick Bucklers, Joe Jackson and am a little way into John Lydon’s. I’m being asked what I want for Christmas so any suggestions appreciated.

Anyone read Morissey’s? It’s on our bookshelves but there’s always something I’d rather read first. Is it worth it?

On 29/10/2022 at 11:28, sonyc said:

If you're / were a Pretenders fan then I might suggest Reckless. Chrissie Hynde is a decent author and it's very honest. She waited til her parents had died before publishing!

Best of all though is Tracy Thorn's Bedsit Disco Queen. Just check out the reviews (e.g. Amazon). Honest, funny, moving - suppose like her music. I think her husband Ben Watt's book on his illness was also very well reviewed but haven't read it.

Anyway, just a couple of ideas. Would send you mine but they are available secondhand for very little money.🙂

I had a problem with Tracey Thorne when she started getting sniffy about bands that end up on the nostalgia circuit, retreading their hits. I found it really thoughtless, especially as she basically got lucky when Todd Terry remixed Missing. Otherwise that could well have been her fate. And I say that as a big Everything But the Girl fan back in the day. 

I did enjoy Ben Watts’ book though.

• Like 1

There's a coincidence KG. I found an old Uncut compilation of Neil Young cover versions, had it on in my car over the last week, and KD Lang's version of Helpless stood out.👍

• Like 1

Not many people cover Neil Young and make it sound decent. Two good covers. Opened with After the gold rush last time I saw him. Fantastic.

Here's Neil himself doing a great cover of A day in the life.

Some funny lines but I think I stick to the original. 

• Like 1

I heard this on Radio 3 yesterday. Rather odd but very good imo. Traditional Japanese with a dub reggae bass line. Stick your bass up to full-phat.😀

On 29/10/2022 at 10:18, FenwayFrank said:

Autobiographies/books on music - any recommendations? I’ve read Johnny Marrs, Keef, Rick Bucklers, Joe Jackson and am a little way into John Lydon’s. I’m being asked what I want for Christmas so any suggestions appreciated.

Robby Krieger’s autobiography from last year is a really good read … ( if you’re if a Doors persuasion)

• Like 1

Went to see Sheku Kanneh-Mason and Harry Baker on Thursday as part of the "Noisenights" tour. A world renowned Cellist widely regarded as one of the best in the world and a highly accomplished, immensely talented composer/pianist playing in a small bar in Leeds. It was unbelievable. They played a mixture of stuff from folk, to jazz, to classical pieces, to improvised versions of various pieces of music.

The tour doesn't go to Norfolk, its pretty much just big cities and the sheku/Harry run finishes tonight anyway, but the premise of the organisation running it is to bring classical musicians to intimate, informal settings and have them play interesting repertoire you wouldn't normally hear them play. Well worth keeping an eye on because it really was superb.

https://www.throughthenoise.co.uk/noisenights

20221201_213742.jpg

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mr Angry said:

Going to Greenwich tonight to see my mate Phil play in his Stranglers tribute band.

Turned up at the pub, they’d cancelled due to illness, I hadn’t checked the website 😡

• Sad 1

On 03/12/2022 at 15:45, Mr Angry said:

Going to Greenwich tonight to see my mate Phil play in his Stranglers tribute band.

‘The break of day has come, I see the cracks have just begun to line the walls, line the walls …’

Great stuff - second single I ever bought …

• Like 1

Love Todd KG. I was even called Todd by my university mates because of my love of his stuff. A lot of formative influence too (politics, life / worldview). Weird how someone comes along and has that effect. But I love his pure interest in making music, the multiple styles and phases in his entire 50 year + output and disinterest in commercial success. 

.....away from Rundgren now and I've come across these from R6. 

Never come across SALT but they pack a punch.

And this one from The Big Moon. Quite MOR in some ways but it sticks in your mind after one play. A perfect pop song in construction, hitting the first chorus on 45 seconds and then again a minute later followed by a quiet middle 8 and then double chorus to end. A love song too (clue in photo)  - so it's universal. What's not to dislike. Radio 6 have been playing it a few times as it's been released only a few weeks ago. A female four piece.

Edited by sonyc

Japanese/Bavarian chicken yodelling for me today. Some of the German pronunciation is that bad I want to invade.

Edited by TheGunnShow
  • Haha 2

This one is a tad off-brand for Reuben but it's been going round in my head for a while and the Christmas song thread has got me going again, great harmonies, simple honest and just blooming good

Not sure if I can trump the Japanese chicken yodelling (I'm pretty sure that is the only time in history that combination of words has ever been used together) but this was always a favourite for chucking in for WTF.

Take part of France that used to be Germany (which used to be part of France, etc.), add their local dialect in GERMAN (they're near Strasbourg), get some accordions, there is some yodelling in there and you get what I can best describe as Mitteleuropa mariachi. Or something.

I can't understand half of what they're singing but it's roughly a little tribute to the Alsace region of France where they live and come from.

Edited by TheGunnShow