Talk Show Host

What y'all listening to?

3 hours ago, The Raptor said:

Surprised at Brian Eno for Suffolk . I wander how far behind him Ed Sheeran is. 

I guess we need to allow for all of Eno's collaborations 

Eno's collaborations .....😐

Eno's collaborations ......🤨

Eno's collaborations ..... 😃

🎶 I know Bono and he knows Ono

🎵 and she knows Eno's phone goes thus

🎶 Brians not at home, he's at the North Pole, if you'd like to leave a weird noise 🎵

• Like 1

On 08/03/2023 at 22:12, Nuff Said said:

If we’re talking bagpipes and jazz, try this. Possibly a bit niche but I love it. Check out the bass. Fonky!

That's very cool! Love it!

• Like 1

So much going on in the background of this, a bit of Hammond, piano, guitar, the choir and Charlie’s drumming

Edited by FenwayFrank
  • Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 16:41, keelansgrandad said:

This guy is not taken seriously but I think he is an excellent songwriter

I do like that. I found him a bit too mannered at first, but I’ve come round to him recently.

This is great. Very reminiscent of “Where do you go to my lovely” but nothing wrong with that.

Off to see this band in a few minutes, upcoming band from The Wirral, supported The Coral last year and have done a few gigs this year supporting The Lathums. Just got 10/10 from one of the guests on Radio 6’s Round Table.

• Like 1

Saw these ladies tonight. Great fun. Possibly one of those those bands that are better live.

Supporting Hayseed Dixie who were also great

On 08/03/2023 at 17:07, Herman said:

The BBC are cutting quite a bit from the classical part of their music department.🤨

Here's one part going, doing a great cover version.

The BBC Singers have been reprieved, but I’ve just found out the cuts include the programme Jazz Nights on BBC Scotland, which I think I’ve recommended before on here. I put it on on BBC Sounds this morning to find out it was the last one.

Fumin! 😡

There’s a really vibrant jazz scene in Scotland including this recent Mercury nominee. Cancelling Jazz Nights is just going to have a negative impact on musicians, venues and all the associated businesses.

****ing Tories!

Edited by Nuff Said
  • Thanks 1

On 10/03/2023 at 19:24, Herman said:

This should cheer everyone up.

I'll raise you the unofficial "national" anthem of Saxony here, and as a native-standard German speaker, the Saxony dialect is notoriously difficult to follow.

Although Miss TGS comes from the next state west, and she says her local dialect is even worse. (She's not wrong when the old-timers speak it!)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TheGunnShow said:

I'll raise you the unofficial "national" anthem of Saxony here, and as a native-standard German speaker, the Saxony dialect is notoriously difficult to follow.

Although Miss TGS comes from the next state west, and she says her local dialect is even worse. (She's not wrong when the old-timers speak it!)

Cheers mate. My old man would have loved that. His teachers tried beating the Sachse out of him and his school friends. I don't think it worked.😂

5 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Another great Scottish jazz musician, Matt Carmichael:

Cheers for those. This one is great, a hint of Dirty Old Town. Melancholic but not miserable.👍

• Like 1

Some jazz CDs came up recently (a fair few) at a local auction so decided to listen and educate myself to a load of stuff I've missed out on.

Will put a few here in the coming weeks but for starters...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Herman said:

Cheers mate. My old man would have loved that. His teachers tried beating the Sachse out of him and his school friends. I don't think it worked.😂

I quip that Saxony is the "Brummie" accent of Germany. EVERYTHING gets "rounded off". "Kr" ends up "Gr", "ei" seems to end up "ee" unless it's right at the end of a word, and a 'p' usually gets pronounced as a 'b'. A 'g' at the end of a word ends up 'ch' (that's not just a Saxony thing to be fair). And there's even more "sch" than usual.

(Reminds me, Lene Voigt's poem "Unerwüstlich" is a favourite of mine).

• Like 1

Night Tracks last night was excellent (Sara Mohr-Pietsch host) and one track blew me away (as they say). Completely brilliant. Missy Mazzoli - she was named Composer of the Year 2022. And though I won't be around I could see how she may be considered a "great" in 50+ years time.

This piece was inspired by the double bass played by Maxine Bibeau with baroque signatures and string techniques over the centuries. It is named after a quote in Milton's Paradise Lost.  It is truly worth a listen (especially headphones) because there are about 5 different things going on simultaneously in some phases of the track and all together it's a hell of an emotional piece. Blimey - the best word to describe this. (Thinking too of @ron obvious here and his like of discordant stuff - not that this is exactly but is complex and I know Ron likes that kind of thing. Maybe others too?)

Anyway, I'm talking far too much☺️ 

21 hours ago, sonyc said:

Some jazz CDs came up recently (a fair few) at a local auction so decided to listen and educate myself to a load of stuff I've missed out on.

Will put a few here in the coming weeks but for starters...

Poor guy died about a month ago ☹️

• Sad 1

Jazz collection track #2

Theme for the noir film Odds Against Tomorrow (1959).

The film used a whole set of short jazz pieces for dramatic scenes (23 piece instrumentation). Has some nice Bill Evans piano, Percy Heath bass, Milt Jackson on vibraharp and Connie Kay on drums.

Edited by sonyc
  • Like 2

This was in a film trailor I saw earlier. Well a reworked version of it. 

Even such an awesome song won't convince me that guardians of the galaxy 3 is worth a look tho!

This was of course one of a few Miles Davis tracks in the collection of jazz cd's bought at auction.

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing this is just perfect, anytime.

#3  "So what"...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, sonyc said:

This was of course one of a few Miles Davis tracks in the collection of jazz cd's bought at auction.

Wherever you are, whatever you're doing this is just perfect, anytime.

#3  "So what"...

If you only own one jazz album, it *has* to be Kind of Blue.

• Like 1

Strong contender in the “most unlikely thing you’ll hear today” stakes, Shakin’ Stevens (yes, Shakin’ Stevens) makes a late play for the anti-capitalism market with a new single. It’s actually not bad.

20 hours ago, sonyc said:

Jazz collection track #2

Theme for the noir film Odds Against Tomorrow (1959).

The film used a whole set of short jazz pieces for dramatic scenes (23 piece instrumentation). Has some nice Bill Evans piano, Percy Heath bass, Milt Jackson on vibraharp and Connie Kay on drums.

I heard the Modern Jazz Quartet while listening to the episodes of Jazz Nights that are on BBC Sounds before they disappear into the ether, top stuff. 

I do like a bit of vibraphone. Makes me want to perch on a bar stool with a cigarette and a cocktail.