Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Michael McGovern to join this week

To me, a replacement for Kean, battling Rudd for no. 2. Not sure why everyone think this guy is anything other than back up.

Would be very disappointed if Ruddy left - top goalkeeper who had a wobble in form last year - people seem to be defining his Norwich career on that bad patch.

I would certainly be pushing Lafferty and RVW out of the door before Ruddy at all costs.He is one of the best £250,000 worth we have had in recent times.

"I would certainly be pushing Lafferty and RVW out of the door"

That would be the barn door!

[quote user="Barking Mad Barclay Boy"]Ruddy is going, Norwich are looking to offload him.[/quote]

Source? evidence?

I think it''s a package deal Bethnal, buy one get two free!

Ruddy is 30 in October.  Speculating, the feeling might be we could sell him now for a transfer fee and bring in a replacement who might be cheaper (allowing for wages).  Or we could keep him and get nothing back in a few years.

It''s not so much his bad patch last season, although it did cost us crucial points.  It''s the fact that he had a peak a few years back, when he looked like he might break into the England squad and Chelsea etc were interested.  Those days are gone. So it could make sense to cash in on his value, whatever it is, now.

Surprised just how many people want Ruddy out the door. We could seriously be about to weaken the most crucial part off any side.

Huge gamble if this is the case

[quote user="Cobain18"]To me, a replacement for Kean, battling Rudd for no. 2. Not sure why everyone think this guy is anything other than back up.

Would be very disappointed if Ruddy left - top goalkeeper who had a wobble in form last year - people seem to be defining his Norwich career on that bad patch.[/quote]^ ^ ^ 100% this

[quote user="Cobain18"]To me, a replacement for Kean, battling Rudd for no. 2. Not sure why everyone think this guy is anything other than back up.

Would be very disappointed if Ruddy left - top goalkeeper who had a wobble in form last year - people seem to be defining his Norwich career on that bad patch.[/quote]

Yep I agree 100%.

People have been talking like McGovern is a top keeper who should walk into any side. The guy has been playing his career in the SPL, the level of about League 1 or 2, and would be a huge step up just to be on our bench.

I think with Ruddy those who are saying they would not be too disappointed if he left are coming from the angle that he''s really not been great since his injury so maybe it would not be the worst thing in the world for him and the club if he were to move on. He certainly improved after being dropped last season and perhaps sorted his head out after the off pitch stuff but the fact remains he''s let in quite a high percentage of shots he''s had to face in the last two seasons. Other keepers seem to make more saves and on the evidence of the Euros McGovern is one of them. That said, that does not necessarily make him a better all round keeper.

I would like us to have a keeper who comes out and catches crosses and corners that are in the 6 yard box. All decent keepers do it, and I love Ruddy but I''d say that it''s one of his weaknesses, coming off his line.

He seemed to take a confidence hit when he came out for a cross at Upton Park against WHU. Can''t remember who scored but he hasn''t been as commanding off his line since. Think it was a couple of seasons ago.

[quote user="Cobain18"]Would be very disappointed if Ruddy left - top goalkeeper who had a wobble in form last year - people seem to be defining his Norwich career on that bad patch.[/quote]Bloody long wobble...Ruddy hasn''t looked anywhere near his previous best for well over a year now, and often appears a shade of the guy who deservedly got his England call-up.I''d love for Ruddy to regain his previous form, and get back to the

commanding, shot stopping monster we had for a year or so, but there''s

been little to no evidence to support this happening any time soon, and

if the club is genuinely thinking about a sale, then they must share

these concerns also.Funny how someone like RvW can be written off after just 25 games (and those under the god awful Hughton years), but Ruddy has looked damn shaky for far more games (at least 35-40 in the past 2 seasons), and we''re simply meant to carry on blithely instead of making a proactive change???

I mean Ricky''s looked shite for three seasons now. And never actually looked good for us. But yeah apart from that the comparison is totally spot on.

I doubt very much Ruddy will be here come 1st Sept. I was told he was going to Boro but they have recently signed a new keeper so that doesn''t look likely to happen now. My guess is that we won''t sell/release him till we have a replacement, whether McGovern is his replacement we will have to wait and see should we sign him.

I like John Ruddy as a keeper, but like all keepers he needs to be consistent and for whatever reason, he hasn''t been the most consistent player - and I agree with those that say he hasn''t regained the stature he had before his injury.  Rudd deservedly got a chance last season and did well, making superb saves and keeping scores down and although results were not great when he was in goal, the faults were not his imo, apart from the one against Villa when he  ran out.    He was superb for Preston for two seasons and although that was league 1, his natural progression for a young and capable goalkeeper would be to step up into being a first choice championship keeper.  That should be for us imo and if Ruddy leaves and McGovern comes in, then imo we still have good choices for goalkeepers at this level.   Rudd is up and coming, McGovern will be hungry for success, especially after the Euros - Ruddy - if he goes - will benefit from a fresh challenge.

[quote user="Fuzzar"]I could see Rudd going to Man U. They''d have two de Geas then..[/quote][:D]

[quote user="king canary"]I mean Ricky''s looked shite for three seasons now. And never actually looked good for us. But yeah apart from that the comparison is totally spot on.[/quote]
To compare Ruddy''s career path with us compared to Ricky is insulting, to say the least.
Regardless of Ruddy having a couple blips in the last couple seasons he has been an absolutely tremendous signing for us, at a nominal fee.
RvW, on the other hand..

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="Fuzzar"]I could see Rudd going to Man U. They''d have two de Geas then..[/quote] I don''t get it :([/quote]

Don''t try, it''s an in joke (at my expense) [;)] 

Interesting signing. His career has been on the up over the last two or three years, cup finals, penalty saves, record minutes not conceding goals in the SPL and success at international level.  Good competion for whoever our other goalies will be this season.