Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Michael McGovern to join this week

[quote user="Diane"]Im wondering if Ruddy wants to leave for a fresh challenge maybe?[/quote]Go along on Friday night and ask Steve Stone. [:P]

Dont need to ask him as Ive got one of them sources that everyone on here has got and they told me lol lol

You mean your Twatter account ? If it is on Twatter it is always true, anyway i thought your bestest mate i mean source resigned after the Man Utd game ? [;)]

The thing for about Ruddy is, he was fantastic for a season and a half, but ever since has been on a downward curve of form.

When players are on such a long trend of diminishing performances it is rare for them to ever turn it around - especially goal keepers. If Norwich can get a fee for Ruddy and AN feels McGovern is an improvement then it is probably a very sensible move. Ruddy is another player with only a year on his contract, so it is time for the club to make a decision about his future, the contract was signed when near his peak so you''d have to imagine he is one of the top earners at Norwich also.

It could be AN will bring in McGovern and tell him and Ruddy that they are fighting for the first team. However, you''d suspect McGovern will only come if he is told he''s No 1 going into the season.

The BBC are now in the last 5 minutes reporting that we are set to sign him beating off competition from Southampton and Burnley.

Will be nice to have a good shot stopper again. Ruddy has his qualities and 99% of the time does the basic things well but rarely seems to win us games with his saves or do something special.

McGovern has his weaknesses, such as command of his area and his kicking isn''t great, but the same could also unfortunately be said for Ruddy (Somehow! He''s 6"4 and built like a rugby player, bloody come and and claim more balls!!!) and I think McGovern is definitely better at saving long range efforts and pulling off reaction saves, as we say at the Euro''s he reacts really quickly when placed in one on one situations and is superb at spreading himself out and blocking with his feet.

This is a good signing imo especially for a free!

I agree that it''s a good signing, especially on a free and given that AN knows him well. It may be possible that Rudd could go out on a 6 month loan to get more game time.

2001–2008 Celtic 0 (0)

2005 → Stranraer (loan) 19 (0)

2006 → St Johnstone (loan) 1 (0)

2008–2009 Dundee United 0 (0)

2009–2011 Ross County 71 (0)

2011–2014 Falkirk 105 (0)

2014–2016 Hamilton Academical

Has a few good games at the Euros and he is good enough to be our Number 1 ??

you must be joking after playing for those teams above and nobody has noticed what a great keeper he is no chance ~!

Rudd must be No1 if ruddy goes If AN plays Mcgovern in front of Rudd then he should leave ASAP for the good of his career

As most have said on this thread, I can''t see us keeping all 3 keepers here, so it can only mean Rudd or Ruddy is off. If it''s Rudd, it''ll be a shame to see him go, but, like Joe Lewis before hi, he hasn''t quite made the step up to becoming our number 1. If its Ruddy, I''d be more worried as I don''t feel confident about the other 2 having enough Championship experience.

As this thread has unfolded I have become more and more of the opinion that either the Club has alternative plans for John Ruddy (with interest from a third party) or that the player himself is looking for pastures new (with similar third party interest.)

The acquisition of McGovern, in the face of apparent opposition which indicates a fair dent on the wages bill, fails to make much sense otherwise.

The only other deduction is that young Rudd finally wants to seek a club which offers him greater opportunities of a regular first team slot.

Of the two, I would prefer to hang on to JR but feel losing him the most likely outcome and that neither he nor MMcG would happily be held in reserve.

Either way we should cash in in a fairly healthy way.

Declan rudd is nowhere near good enough to be our long term number 1, needs to leave to further his career.

Ruddy and McGovern battling for number 1 for me.

Yep I agree with that chemical bro. Rudd not good enough. Ruddy and Mcgovern to fight for no1 spot.

Maybe a loan for Rudd, but at his age will he want to be loaned out, needs to find a club and play week in week out, probably at league one level.

But with Kean going and Matthews already loaned out leaves us with no 3rd choice keeper again.

Pretty skeptical about this one- none of us had heard of him pre Euro 2016 and it is never sensible to sign a player off the back of a strong international tournament. However AN will have worked with him before and have knowledge of what he can do so fingers crossed...

Just another point. A lot of people are assuming McGovern wouldn''t be coming here unless he was guaranteed number 1. And saying as he rejected burnley and Southampton (apparently) that means he will be number 1 here.

Burnley (heaton) + Southampton (forster) lets be honest he would definitely be number 2 at those clubs.

He''s obviously realised he has more chance against Ruddy presuming he stays, and playing under a manager who rates him.

More than fair enough but wouldn''t assume he''s been promised a number 1 spot. Unless of course ruddy is off. Which would be a massive loss IMO

Just back from a few weeks away with work......do we really need another just about good enough keeper? In my opinion isn''t as good as Rudd and certainly no improvement on Ruddy.

Don''t understand us being interested unless Ruddy is going?

Not a good link in all reality.

Let''s take it then that Ruddy leaves and McGovern comes here. McGovern has turned down apparently two bench warming jobs in the Premiership as he sees Norwich in the Championship as a No.1 job which makes me wonder what that train of thought is having on Declan Rudd. After all he stepped in when Ruddy had his mid season blip and was dropped for a short spell so he must now be thinking will his day ever come here ? If he thinks not surely he will be looking to leave?To me signing McGovern gives us more problems than it solves.

If McGovern comes, it is curtains for Ruddy. Club will want him sold while there is still the opportunity to get a fee. You don''t have one of your highest paid players as a back up goalie also.

If Ruddy goes then Rudd remains 2nd choice so it makes no difference on his immediate position. As Rudd''s contract is up in 2018 I imagine he will either be sold next summer or just run the contract down.

Surely bringing in McGovern solves the problem of Ruddy''s increasingly poor form Til? Or should Norwich keep undependable keeper just to avoid upsetting Rudd?

That is not what i was saying Bethnal as it could well be that we lose one keeper for footballing and high wage reasons and another who maybe wants to be a No.1 sooner rather than later just to make way for the signing of McGovern. Don''t forget Keane and Matthews are/will be about to go out on loan so we will be needing a No.3.

I know what you meant Til, it''s just surely it is a priority to make sure the first choice keeper is up to scratch?

There is no reason why Rudd would immediately have to be sold if McGovern comes, even if he is unhappy. The whole matra of ''shouldn''t keep a player if he is unhappy'' mostly comes from agents or clubs wanting to sell high worth players without upsetting fans.

Getting 3rd choice keepers is usually pretty easy and the prospect of needing one should stop the club from upgrading the first choice keeper, as they see it.

If McGovern is arriving he must have assurances he has a chance, or in fact will be, of being our number one this season. No way he would turn down a contract as second choice at a Premier League club just to be second choice at a Championship club.

As for Ruddy, probably best he moves on. Decent keeper and been good for us but maybe time for a new challenge. The word is that both he and the club have been thinking the same also.

Looks like AN doesn''t see Rudd as first choice any time soon. Didn''t particularly look like a convincing PL keeper, and his indecisiveness, especially away at Villa, doesn''t suggest he''s an assertive keeper. He may be one of our own but maybe time to accept that he''s not quite good enough for the top divisions.