Sign in to follow this  
ncfc2012

Michael McGovern to join this week

quote user="morty"]Surely people aren''t falling for the fact he did okay in a tournament?[/quote

Well, Leicester might, with Brady...........

Another player in.

It''ll be interesting to see if he can force his way into the no.1 slot, and what happens to Ruddy as a result.

[quote user="Pyro Pete"]Another player in.

It''ll be interesting to see if he can force his way into the no.1 slot, and what happens to Ruddy as a result.[/quote]Just saw someone say you don''t turn down a move to Southampton to sit on the bench at Norwich.Which would make you think either Ruddy or Rudd could be on their way.

Looks staightforward to me. Kean out, McGovern in. So much in this thread about Ruddy leaving, finding 101 faults with each of our goalies. For goodness sake, we now have 3 very decent keepers in Ruddy, Rudd and McGovern, i really think they could be the strongest trio of keepers at any Champs side this season, and im looking forward to seeing the fierce competition to be No. 1 each week.

As others have stated, you don''t say no to being Southampton''s number 2 to then go and sign to be number 2/3 at Norwich.

It will have been sold to McGovern that he''s coming here with a view to playing for the first team.

Ruddy will be one of the top earners at the club, and we cannot afford to have someone earning that as the reserve ''keeper. I think it is best for both parties if JR finds himself a new challenge.

1 - McGovern

2 - Rudd

3 - Matthews / Kilip.

Thanks for the memories John, but time for pastures new.

Well its a good job we have the best set of keepers in the league because with just over two weeks to kick off we certainly have one of the weakest set of strikers and apart from McCormack (we wont pay £15 million ) and Asombalonga (Forest say they are not selling ) there are not even any rumours .People keep saying about the great business we are doing but a youngster and a third choice keeper does not scream we are going for it to me .At least Neil will be able to flip flop the keepers every few weeks now, i am sure that will do their confidence the world of good .

Are Ruddy''s wages that high? He wasn''t on big money when he came to us and though he would have had some rises with new contractsbut I can''t see him being one of our biggest earners.

For me business is not just about who you buy it''s about who you sell.

Considering we have only had Redmond and O''Neil leave the club (most of us are happy with the Redmond fee) I''d say we''ve done well hanging on to Tettey, Howson, Klose to name a few.

It''s not all bad :)

Its not about forcing anyone out.Its about who, of the three is willing to sit on the bench, and who won''t even make it.

[quote user="CanaryOne"]Well its a good job we have the best set of keepers in the league because with just over two weeks to kick off we certainly have one of the weakest set of strikers and apart from McCormack (we wont pay £15 million ) and Asombalonga (Forest say they are not selling ) there are not even any rumours .People keep saying about the great business we are doing but a youngster and a third choice keeper does not scream we are going for it to me .At least Neil will be able to flip flop the keepers every few weeks now, i am sure that will do their confidence the world of good .[/quote]
Basically, you post translates to:
"WE''VE SIGNED NOBODY APART FROM THE PLAYERS WE UHH.. HAVE SIGNED AND THERES NOT BEEN ANY RUMOURS APART FROM THE UHH...RUMOURS"
Get a f*cking grip

No it''s not bad at all - though don''t forget Mbokani, Bamford and Wisdom have also gone. If only Brady was to leave on top of that then that would still leave a very decent squad for this level.

The glaring problem is the forward line. RVW and Lafferty have been, quite rightly imo, non-starters for AN so we need at least two more forwards.

Time is pressing on with kick off only two weeks away Saturday so would be good to see some movement very soon.

Does anyone think that we may go with what we have up front - assuming Naismith could be pressed into playing up top?

That''s the whole point essjayess - we don''t need three very decent keepers on the books do we? Two will do, and an old banger for a back up.

If we were looking to raise a bit of cash for other areas of the team, Ruddy going is the obvious choice. He has been a great servant, but it feels right to me that he now moves on to a fresh challenge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36837472

Analysis of his performance for NI v Germany, very impressive.

it does on the face of it seem an overkill for a championship club to have 3 senior keepers on their books like this, particularly when clubs outside the premier league can still loan players outside the transfer window.

It does slightly remind me of the time we signed Darren Ward and Paul Gallacher as backup for Robert Green.

There has to be something behind this as I cant believe all 3 will be kept happy.

For those though who are seemingly happy to push Ruddy

out of the door in favour of a keeper who pulled off a few saves whilst his goal was peppered by Germany for 90 mins......are you basing everything on the evidence of that one game, or is there anything else to justify this?

[quote user="GJL Mid-Norfolk Canary"]

For those though who are seemingly happy to push Ruddy

out of the door in favour of a keeper who pulled off a few saves whilst his goal was peppered by Germany for 90 mins......are you basing everything on the evidence of that one game, or is there anything else to justify this?[/quote]

I''m not keen on Ruddy going, but if you look at McGovern''s record over the last two or three years it is clear his career path is on the up.  Cup finals, penalty saves, record minutes not conceding goals in the SPL and success at international level.  If you are going to buy a player get one whose career is on the up.

i agree McGovern is in a purple patch at the moment but championship Strikers now are far better than SPL strikers

he has played for Ross County , Falkirk and Hamilton

Now i ask you that if he was that good he would have been snapped up long ago by celtic / rangers of even other championship clubs

i agree he did fantastic at the Euros But we are not at the Euros we need season long form

AN has tried this all before with players from his old club Tony Andreu and he was their best player !

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i agree McGovern is in a purple patch at the moment but championship Strikers now are far better than SPL strikers

he has played for Ross County , Falkirk and Hamilton

Now i ask you that if he was that good he would have been snapped up long ago by celtic / rangers of even other championship clubs

i agree he did fantastic at the Euros But we are not at the Euros we need season long form

AN has tried this all before with players from his old club Tony Andreu and he was their best player ![/quote]

I think this is different.  What you have with McGovern is a player in demand and clearly improving in the league and playing well against top international players for his country. He was always going to move to a bigger club - and we are that club and his chance to prove himself.  Whether he does step up or not is not set in stone, but if Ruddy leaves, we have Rudd - who is going to be challenging for the number one spot presumably with McGovern.   If McGovern desn''t do the business, Rudd will do it. 

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i agree McGovern is in a purple patch at the moment but championship Strikers now are far better than SPL strikers[/quote]Yes, and the likes of Lewandowski, Gomez, Yarmolenko and Bale are FAR better than Championship strikers, yet McGovern managed to look highly impressive against some of the best strikers in Europe FFS!Seems to me like JR is likely to be moved on (as I can''t see McGovern turning Soton down to join us as backup), so we''d be trading a player who was good a couple of years back and has been badly inconsistent since (losing his place to Rudd for a while was a very clear indicator something wasn''t right), for a player who''s been on a somewhat quick rise over the past few years and has won plaudits all over - including at the Euro''s against far better players than he''s ever previously faced on a regular basis.Sounds like a good deal to me tbh!