Sign in to follow this  
Just Dan

improved bid for Hooper

Promising stuff, shows we''re serious about this. Hopefully Hooper is interested!

YES, lets go and blow £7/8m for a player who we could get in the summer for £4/5m! January pushed everyones value up, and some players values got pushed up too much!...A la Gary Hooper.

[quote user="BW"]This whole bidding only when a player is interested is rubbish. Remy Newcastle for example....[/quote]considering Remy was travelling to Newcastle when QPR upped their contract I''d say he was interested

[quote user="I am a Banana"]YES, lets go and blow £7/8m for a player who we could get in the summer for £4/5m! January pushed everyones value up, and some players values got pushed up too much!...A la Gary Hooper.[/quote]

Apart from he''s just as likely to be worth as much in the summer, what if he goes and scores the winner against Juve? Wins another league title, top scorer. Its not going to lower his value.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]YES, lets go and blow £7/8m for a player who we could get in the summer for £4/5m! January pushed everyones value up, and some players values got pushed up too much!...A la Gary Hooper.[/quote]He might not want to join a Championship club in the Summer.

What are the rules regarding foreign loan deals, could we not just offer to loan him back for the Champions League games? I presume that is what they really want to keep him for.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]YES, lets go and blow £7/8m for a player who we could get in the summer for £4/5m! January pushed everyones value up, and some players values got pushed up too much!...A la Gary Hooper.[/quote]

Why should his value drop by the summer? A few months less on his contract won''t make that much difference. It might increase should he continue to look good in European competion and other Premiership clubs enter the party.

Besides, we could do with that extra bit of class up-front to give us added impetus at this crucial stage in a crucial season. The stakes are too high to wait for the scenario in your rather dubious logic to unfold.

We need another dozen or so points now, not in the Summer.

If we have to pay a bit over his true value thats fine, we are in a strong financial position, strongest we have ever been in, and their is a massive pay day just for staying in this league this year.

Some people you can''t please, not enough ambition rabble rabble rabble, then we show some too much money rabble rabble rabble.

We will be kicking ourselves if we slip out of the Premier League because we didn''t pay a slightly over inflated price for our top transfer target.

Especially considering the new TV deal (£60M guaranteed) coming in next season.

[quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

We will be kicking ourselves if we slip out of the Premier League because we didn''t pay a slightly over inflated price for our top transfer target.  Especially considering the new TV deal (£60M guaranteed) coming in next season.

[/quote]

Can''t help but think this extra money will just mean more expense and no-one will be better off in real terms.    Higher transfer fees and wage demands - it just escalates the whole "money" thing.     The only clubs that really benefit in this situation is the ones that have money in the first place - as in most economics, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  

I have to say we are in the latter category - we will never compete with the stupidly rich clubs with their stupidly rich owners - and wouldn''t want to compete with them on their terms anyway - would rather continue to be a community club living within its means and developing within that - whatever that means for our position in a league.  

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

We will be kicking ourselves if we slip out of the Premier League because we didn''t pay a slightly over inflated price for our top transfer target.  Especially considering the new TV deal (£60M guaranteed) coming in next season.

[/quote]

Can''t help but think this extra money will just mean more expense and no-one will be better off in real terms.    Higher transfer fees and wage demands - it just escalates the whole "money" thing.     The only clubs that really benefit in this situation is the ones that have money in the first place - as in most economics, the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.  

I have to say we are in the latter category - we will never compete with the stupidly rich clubs with their stupidly rich owners - and wouldn''t want to compete with them on their terms anyway - would rather continue to be a community club living within its means and developing within that - whatever that means for our position in a league.  

[/quote]

So should we bid more for Hooper or not?

[quote user="lake district canary"][quote user="Cantiaci Canary"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

True about the result, but we sure as hell want to be on the ''good'' side of that ''money'' thing rather than the other side...

I do agree it is a little bit of a make or break scenario

If he''s as good as we think he is, his value is only going to rocket.

Do it now McNally!

James Jennings @JJ95  "@skySports; Gary Hooper to Norwich deal nearly sealed, to be sat with Norwich directors at Anfield today. more to come shortly, #ssn.   is this believable?

I think we''d hear of an accepted bid, medical and personal terms being agreed before cuddling with directors. Not believable that he''s at Anfield although i''m open to being proved wrong.

Give it a rest

we would have a better squad with him - so I would be prepared to bid more but £7m would be my personal limit

[quote user="Gingerpele"]And he''s starting for Celtic...[/quote]

If he is starting for Celtic then I suspect we are still some way from a deal.

It could be a chance to say his goodbyes. But I don''t even buy that one myself.

[quote user="GRIFFTER45"]We are 100% not getting hooper. We are however looking at another Celtic striker.[/quote]Care to elaborate on why and who, or should we just file this under ''bullsh1t'' straight away?

Celtic fan here. Curious about the feeling about Hooper here and have to say there''s a little bit of delusion going on. The guy had a great record at Champions League level and has taken that into Europe for Celtic scoring away at places like Udinese and Spartak Moscow and his overall play has been excellent. It''s well known Hodgson has been watching him for a while and he was due a call-up for England''s last friendly but for injury.£5m? Overvalued? I think you''re nuts. Jordan Rhodes went to Blackburn for £8m, for God''s sake. I think he''ll leave us in the summer, not January, and certainly not for the relatively pitiful fee of £5m. We sold McGeady for £9.5m and Petrov for £8.5m - selling a first choice goalscorer who performs at the highest level in the Champions League for that amount? No chance.Glad to see Hughton doing well, by the way. Would like to see him manage our national team some day.