Sign in to follow this  
Blurboy1980

Holt's Hamstring....

[quote user="im spartacus"]watford away 2011 holt looked out for the season if he was a horse he would have been shot... back within a week scoring against forest OTBC[/quote]

I was there also and it did indeed look to be awful. Like you I reckon he''ll be back very soon.

15Everton421117144451894312338101328-750
16Coventry City42121416446277723255792137-1850
17Manchester City421213175364876372846111636-1149
18Aston Villa421115165156696272456102432-548
19Crystal Palace421112193449669162356101826-1545
20Norwich City421013193754885272125141033-1743
21Leicester City426112545805610283715151743-3529
22Ipswich Town42762936935313243423161259-5727

We finished in the bottom 3 so it wouldn''t have made a bit of difference that an extra team went down

Major collapse that season

[quote user="Grant Holts 3 year contract"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Certainly looked like a ham string from where I was sitting. You could see his frustration as he took the arm band off. Holt is our icon. He has been by far our most influential player for the last three seasons. Without him we have struggled. Unless the board are prepared to invest in a quality, proven striker I can''t see anything except relegation. We''ll lose the next four, probably without scoring - it is critical that Holt''s replacement is in the team for Newcastle.[/quote]

Not sure if serious or just complete f*cking idiot...
[/quote]

Highland made himself look a t1t earlier in the season. He can only save face by pretending it was all a joke and carrying on regardless.

The real doom and gloom merchants don''t come out to play on a winning weekend[;)]

Back to Holty. He played through an injury Tuesday and yesterday. Who remembers him playing through an injury at 1p5wich 2011? 25% fit and they still couldn''t handle him. IFLGH!

And we were 9th after 17 games....

1Blackburn Rovers1712323813701247531146+2539
2Manchester United17122332109002103231110+2238
3Newcastle United17104336215302085131613+1534
4Liverpool1794434186201853241613+1631
5Nottingham Forest1785427184321410422138+929
6Manchester City178452926530239315617+328
7Chelsea1783626204131574231113+627
8Leeds United1783624226111472251015+227
9Norwich City176651515530115135410024
10Coventry City17656202742310112331016-723
11Tottenham Hotspur17647293332415163231417-422
12Arsenal175662018332117234911+221
13Southampton17566232733310102331317-421
14Sheffield Wednesday17566182334298224915-521
15Crystal Palace17557151922461033399-420
16Queens Park Rangers1754825325131613035919-719
17Wimbledon1753917314141316125415-1418
18Everton1745815243421310116214-917
19West Ham United175210101941366117413-917
20Aston Villa1736821291437102251419-815
21Leicester City17341018303331414017416-1213
22Ipswich Town17321216332071118125515-1711

BUT I don''t see that happening this year...(he says nervously)

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Certainly looked like a ham string from where I was sitting. You could see his frustration as he took the arm band off.

Holt is our icon. He has been by far our most influential player for the last three seasons. Without him we have struggled.

Unless the board are prepared to invest in a quality, proven striker I can''t see anything except relegation. We''ll lose the next four, probably without scoring - it is critical that Holt''s replacement is in the team for Newcastle.[/quote]The lack of a pipes and drums band in 1p5wich is obviously taking it''s toll.[;)]

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="Highland Canary"]Certainly looked like a ham string from where I was sitting. You could see his frustration as he took the arm band off. Holt is our icon. He has been by far our most influential player for the last three seasons. Without him we have struggled. Unless the board are prepared to invest in a quality, proven striker I can''t see anything except relegation. We''ll lose the next four, probably without scoring - it is critical that Holt''s replacement is in the team for Newcastle.[/quote]

The lack of a pipes and drums band in 1p5wich is obviously taking it''s toll.[;)]
[/quote]

....or taking it''s troll [:D]

Lay off poor Highland. I think he is probably not far from being spot on.

Another undeserved three points yesterday, and just look at our goal difference. It was 0 back in 94/95 and already we are at -6.

If it wasn''t for how lucky we''ve been and how poorly the opposition strikers have played against us it should be around about -30 by now. Still, with Chelsea and Man City looming on the horizon, we can expect that figure to worsen considerably and see the commencement of our stone like plummet towards the trap door. QPR have started winning and unlike us, they''ve shown ambition in their appointment of Harry and in the transfer window.

They''ll finish above us for sure, as will Newcastle, Villa, Reading, Southampton and of course Swansea.

I''d take 19th right now. An extra few quid for the Championship budget.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Lay off poor Highland. I think he is probably not far from being spot on. Another undeserved three points yesterday, and just look at our goal difference. It was 0 back in 94/95 and already we are at -6. If it wasn''t for how lucky we''ve been and how poorly the opposition strikers have played against us it should be around about -30 by now. Still, with Chelsea and Man City looming on the horizon, we can expect that figure to worsen considerably and see the commencement of our stone like plummet towards the trap door. QPR have started winning and unlike us, they''ve shown ambition in their appointment of Harry and in the transfer window. They''ll finish above us for sure, as will Newcastle, Villa, Reading, Southampton and of course Swansea. I''d take 19th right now. An extra few quid for the Championship budget.[/quote]

This was always on the cards after the cook and her cohorts shunned Fernandez and made it quite clear he wasn''t welcome any where near her doll''s house.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Lay off poor Highland. I think he is probably not far from being spot on.

Another undeserved three points yesterday, and just look at our goal difference. It was 0 back in 94/95 and already we are at -6.

If it wasn''t for how lucky we''ve been and how poorly the opposition strikers have played against us it should be around about -30 by now. Still, with Chelsea and Man City looming on the horizon, we can expect that figure to worsen considerably and see the commencement of our stone like plummet towards the trap door. QPR have started winning and unlike us, they''ve shown ambition in their appointment of Harry and in the transfer window.

They''ll finish above us for sure, as will Newcastle, Villa, Reading, Southampton and of course Swansea.

I''d take 19th right now. An extra few quid for the Championship budget.[/quote]Some "fans" really would be happier if we had kept Gunny and were performing at a sub par rate in League One. I feel sad for you that you claim to enjoy a game, but blatently only get enjoyment from complaining about how well we are doing.

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Lay off poor Highland. I think he is probably not far from being spot on.

I''d take 19th right now. An extra few quid for the Championship budget.[/quote]Some "fans" really would be happier if we had kept Gunny and were performing at a sub par rate in League One. I feel sad for you that you claim to enjoy a game, but blatently only get enjoyment from complaining about how well we are doing.[/quote]

What is blatant is that some things are more apparent to some than others.

No Ruddy

No Holt

Half Fit Bassong

QPR upwardly mobile

Another skinflint January, just some more curtains for the dolls house I expect.

DOOMED

We could have had Fernandes, think on.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Lay off poor Highland. I think he is probably not far from being spot on. Another undeserved three points yesterday, and just look at our goal difference. It was 0 back in 94/95 and already we are at -6. If it wasn''t for how lucky we''ve been and how poorly the opposition strikers have played against us it should be around about -30 by now. Still, with Chelsea and Man City looming on the horizon, we can expect that figure to worsen considerably and see the commencement of our stone like plummet towards the trap door. QPR have started winning and unlike us, they''ve shown ambition in their appointment of Harry and in the transfer window. They''ll finish above us for sure, as will Newcastle, Villa, Reading, Southampton and of course Swansea. I''d take 19th right now. An extra few quid for the Championship budget.[/quote]

I admire optimism, but sadly I don''t think this season will pan out as well as that for us.

["nutty nigel"]

Season 1986/87 we were 7th on the 15th December.....

And we finished the season.......

7th!

Just sayin''[;)]

(Kingsway)

(In the family fortunes wrong answer style) UT UHRR!

In 1986/87 we finished 5th not 7th as you reckon!

As people rightly point out, towards the end of the 2011/12 promotion season in the Championship Holt got a hamstring strain away at Watford and wasn''t 100% after that but he still played and played a big role includign a goal against Forest at home and played a big part in 5-1 win at Scum when he was far from fit!

[quote user="kingsway"]["nutty nigel"]

Season 1986/87 we were 7th on the 15th December.....

And we finished the season.......

7th!

Just sayin''[;)]

(Kingsway)

(In the family fortunes wrong answer style) UT UHRR!

In 1986/87 we finished 5th not 7th as you reckon!

[/quote]

Even better then! Maybe I meant we finished in the top 7? Unless of course we we weren''t even 7th on December 15th?

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]

I admire optimism, but sadly I don''t think this season will pan out as well as that for us.

[/quote]Little rays of sunshine.........OK, which one of you is Ged Steroo? [;)]

You''d take 19th.... So you would take the Championship? You''re a fucking moron with no credibility in that case.

Thankfully, I''m not a betting man as I would undoubtedly be somewhat poorer.

Off again to West Brom after twice last season, feeling a tad more positive after my arguments have so meticulously dismantled:-) Let''s hope we don''t draw them again in the fourth round away. And, yes, I think we''ll squeeze through at Peterborough.

Even if Holt is out next week, I think city have a good chance next Saturday. I watched the WBA vs West Ham match today and feel that City have every chance to draw or even win next week. West Brom haven''t scored for 3 consecutive matches and they never much looked like scoring today. With our front four scoring now and the defence playing well there''s every chance. Also, Youssouf Mulumbu received his 5th yellow and will be suspended tomorrow. Full credit to CH as well, for he spent his Sunday off watching WBA today! I also think that Christmas is a good time to play Chelski and Man City (well, as good a time as any). Last year City had 22 points after 19 matches, this year we have 25 after 17 matches. Keep the faith and keep it going lads! OTBC!

[quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Even if Holt is out next week, I think city have a good chance next Saturday. I watched the WBA vs West Ham match today and feel that City have every chance to draw or even win next week. West Brom haven''t scored for 3 consecutive matches and they never much looked like scoring today. With our front four scoring now and the defence playing well there''s every chance. Also, Youssouf Mulumbu received his 5th yellow and will be suspended tomorrow. Full credit to CH as well, for he spent his Sunday off watching WBA today! I also think that Christmas is a good time to play Chelski and Man City (well, as good a time as any). Last year City had 22 points after 19 matches, this year we have 25 after 17 matches. Keep the faith and keep it going lads! OTBC![/quote]

WBA were pretty poor today, not sure what has gone wrong for them after such a good start, I think we will get something out of the game next Saturday. Playing them now is just right, they will certainly be more worried about us than we should be about them. Good record away there so hope we get 3 points.

[quote user="canarygirl"][quote user="Yelloow Since 72"]Even if Holt is out next week, I think city have a good chance next Saturday. I watched the WBA vs West Ham match today and feel that City have every chance to draw or even win next week. West Brom haven''t scored for 3 consecutive matches and they never much looked like scoring today. With our front four scoring now and the defence playing well there''s every chance. Also, Youssouf Mulumbu received his 5th yellow and will be suspended tomorrow. Full credit to CH as well, for he spent his Sunday off watching WBA today! I also think that Christmas is a good time to play Chelski and Man City (well, as good a time as any). Last year City had 22 points after 19 matches, this year we have 25 after 17 matches. Keep the faith and keep it going lads! OTBC![/quote]

WBA were pretty poor today, not sure what has gone wrong for them after such a good start, I think we will get something out of the game next Saturday. Playing them now is just right, they will certainly be more worried about us than we should be about them. Good record away there so hope we get 3 points.

[/quote]

As I have said elsewhere, this is what statisticians call reversion to mean. This is the principle that if performance excels then it will fall away to the correct level for the appropriate ability so that good performance is followed by poorer and the reverse. The better the team the fewer poor runs eg Manchester United and the reverse eg Ipswich

I said in several threads that the concept of performances evening out over a season which meant we would start to do better and West Brom who outrageously over performed in the first dozen games. They like us will finish mid table after the results even out over the whole season. Actually, the principle applies over longer periods and you can argue that Newcastle''s poor form this season is a balance to over performance last season.

In these terms, it is certainly a good time to play West Brom!,

"As I have said elsewhere, this is what statisticians call reversion to mean ... Actually, the principle applies over longer periods and you can argue that Newcastle''s poor form this season is a balance to over performance last season."

Nail on head in explaining just how lucky 1psw5ch were to nab their silverware in the 60s and 70s. They have now clearly embarked on an extended period of reversion to mean. Fielding the satyrs Gates and Wark were in fact triggering hubris events that angered the Gods, and that little club must now meekly await its inevitable (Mc)Carthis.

This surely also explains why Corinthian Casuals no longer qualify for the Champions League. Their reversion-to-mean-period lasted a tad longer, about 70 years.

I''m sure those Mayan chappies would have had something to add. If only we could read all their runes (or am I getting my myths mixed up?).

Still not sure of the extent of Holt''s injury, according to Talksport. Will take another couple of days before assessment.

Latest tweet from the man himself:

@Grantholt31

We will find out about leg today sometime not as bad as first thought but we will wait and see

As always totally inconclusive from Grant about the news everyone really wants to here clearly.

Now then Duncan and Nutty, you really must sort yourselves out :-)

All this moaning about Delia et al makes for depressing reading for a man of my age and standing (just).

BTW Nutty I remember Holty at Binland for the 5 -1 when someone said to me ''Holt''s having a poor game''. I had to remind him in old fashioned English that he was playing on one leg and still taking the pizza out of their donkeys!

[quote user="shefcanary"]

Latest tweet from the man himself:

@Grantholt31

We will find out about leg today sometime not as bad as first thought but we will wait and see

As always totally inconclusive from Grant about the news everyone really wants to here clearly.

[/quote]

That''s good at least

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Now then Duncan and Nutty, you really must sort yourselves out :-) All this moaning about Delia et al makes for depressing reading for a man of my age and standing (just). BTW Nutty I remember Holty at Binland for the 5 -1 when someone said to me ''Holt''s having a poor game''. I had to remind him in old fashioned English that he was playing on one leg and still taking the pizza out of their donkeys![/quote]

Was virtually on crutches as he ran down the wing and crossed for Jacko to score. The donkey''s still couldn''t stop him!

A few tweets from Holty over the last 24 hours, thought last night that is could be long term, but more positive this morning..."We will find out about leg today sometime not as bad as first thought but we will wait and see"

"Heart fm tunes in car is it love hour. Feel like need a hug very emotional"

"All sorted now cod time cheer myself up."

"Good morning all up and off to training for treatment on the leg. Not as bad as first thought so hopefully back soon"

[quote user="Matt Juler"]A few tweets from Holty over the last 24 hours, thought last night that is could be long term, but more positive this morning..."We will find out about leg today sometime not as bad as first thought but we will wait and see"

"Heart fm tunes in car is it love hour. Feel like need a hug very emotional"

"All sorted now cod time cheer myself up."

"Good morning all up and off to training for treatment on the leg. Not as bad as first thought so hopefully back soon"
[/quote]I think the two tweets in the middle there and more down to Mr. Holt missing his wife and kids.